• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Trends in choice of fighting game characters.

Usually I just try out a few characters and stick with the one I'm best at/most comfortable with.

Using Super smash Bros as an example like a lot of other people, when I first got SSBM, I played Peach the most at first because she was my favourite, then I got good at Fox. When Brawl came out, I switched from Fox because people kept thinking I was one of those "tourneyfags" (although to be fair, I did enjoy no items on Final Destination but) and also because he was far less cute in Brawl. I switched to Link because I was having a big Zelda obsession at the time but now I currently use Zero Suit Samus.

So i generally switch around a lot, but I think I have a tendency to use faster than average characters with a good jump.

You know I was actually just thinking about this.. I think in the end I end up going with characters with awkward styles - I'm not good at the more standard characters and the linear combos and workings and instead tend to try to mix things up with my play style. I also tend to prefer high air mobility. I'm not exactly a fighting game pro, but lesse what I have...

BlazBlue: Arakune, Rachel
Guilty Gear series: Eddie/Zato-1, Zappa
SSBB: Lucario, Yoshi and Samus
SSBM: Pikachu, Mewtwo, Yoshi, and Samus
SSB: Yoshi, Pikachu

All in order from most-to least played 'mains'. So more traditional 2D fighters I certainly have a thing for the awkward blobs with high air mobility, and SSB... well, honestly, I don't even know. I know everyone I play well tends to be a mix of mobility and survivability. Samus is akin to that, with one of the heaviest weight classes with unbelievable floatiness and recovery, but lack of killing power sans her spike.

What's wrong with that? I pick characters based on appearance all the time.

That's how I arrived at Taokaka.

I got to her after seeing her played at a location test (Combos? YES PLZ), and thanks to my love of cats and obsession with catgirls >.>

For me, I mostly prefer quick fighters.

Soulcaliber: Link, Cerventes
Blazblue: Jin
SSBB: Link, Toon Link, Ike
SSBM:Link, Roy

Tekken: Bryan Fury/Feng Wei
Soulcalibur: Nightmare/Zasalamel

Always the slightly evil ones, never the main bad guy.

Yup, cutest. I just pick the one I like the look of most and then tend to just stick with 'em. This also applies to racing games, RPGs and pretty much any game where you can choose your characters.

OH ALSO on Soulcalibur which is pretty much the only fighting game series I play remotely often other than Brawl. On this one, I pick characters with either good action-throws or rapid hits. In SC2, for example, Kilik (>A+K is gamebreaking) and Mitsurugi (>A+K again, but A+K is good too). And then I pick a few that're just kind of out of nowhere to balance it out (I can be a beast with Astaroth when I'm in a good mood).

And I'm only now starting to play SC4 on account of my brother got an Xbox 360 for Christmas and my other brother rented SC4 for it. So far it looks like I'm gonna be sticking with Astaroth. Not so much Mitsurugi anymore because now his action-throws are a pain to pull off. Also I hate Algol! dunno why just doesn't work well for me. Haven't gotten an opportunity to try Kilik or anything yet, because my brother's been playing Modern Warfare 2 endlessly since he got the damn thing.

Also I refuse to play as Yoda. He's like-- a Giant Space Flea From Nowhere in playable-character form. Why would you put a Star Wars character in Soul Calibur it makes no sense. Oh I know let's put the Na'vi from Avatar in SC5 THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA. |:[
Rant over.

Also I refuse to play as Yoda. He's like-- a Giant Space Flea From Nowhere in playable-character form. Why would you put a Star Wars character in Soul Calibur it makes no sense. Oh I know let's put the Na'vi from Avatar in SC5 THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA. |:[
Rant over.

There was a plot device they used for putting Darth Vader, Yoda, and Starkiller in there, but it was so stupid I didn't even bother finding it out. I just know they put him in there to advertise The Force Unleashed.

Starkiller's almost as broken as Siegfriend.

Starkiller's almost as broken as Siegfriend.

Yeah, I noticed that when my little brother made me unlock him. Holy christ that guy's tough. I mean I knew he was pretty badass because I've played The Force Unleashed and liked it (I really didn't think I would) but come on. There's a point where it becomes unfair, and that point is when I clear the first seven matches of Story Mode without losing a round and then lose miserably to Starkiller three times in a row.

And I haven't tried Siegfried yet, is he really that good? I always just figured he was like an alternate Nightmare. My little brother (he's 6) managed to beat Story Mode and pound Siegfried, Nightmare, and Algol into dust, so I figured he couldn't be that good. Or maybe I don't give my little brother enough credit!

SSB: Fox
SSBM: Fox , Dr.Mario, Luigi
SSBB: Falco, Sheik, Ike, Lucario
Street Fighter: Ken, Vega, Guile
BlazBlue: Ragna, Jin

I like quick ones (though some of those up there aren't so quick :D)

And I haven't tried Siegfried yet, is he really that good? I always just figured he was like an alternate Nightmare. My little brother (he's 6) managed to beat Story Mode and pound Siegfried, Nightmare, and Algol into dust, so I figured he couldn't be that good. Or maybe I don't give my little brother enough credit!

No, it's the other way around. Nightmare is another Siegfriend. In Soul Edge, he Nightmare was only a costume, but in the original Soulcalibur, two of his moves changed, and then they went from there.

SCIV's AI sucks ass though, it's really not hard to beat anyone, even on the hardest difficulty. And once you've mastered Guard Impact, everything is a joke.

Really, all a good Siegfried player needs to do is lure either you, or get himself to the edge, and use a command throw. If you can use Siegfried well, almost no one can stand up to that; on top of having ridiculously long reach, he's got speed, and power.

Let's see who get who off of the stage first!

I might be dumb, but I usually use the characters who have the flashiest attacks.

Ike and Meta Knight ftw.

No, it's the other way around. Nightmare is another Siegfriend. In Soul Edge, he Nightmare was only a costume, but in the original Soulcalibur, two of his moves changed, and then they went from there.

Okay see I haven't played Soul Edge or the first Soul Calibur (I played Legends, though, but that sucked horribly), so I wasn't sure if Siegfried started off as Nightmare in the first game or what. I know he became Nightmare at some point, but I didn't know when. My understanding of the Soul Calibur storyline is kind of rusty.

SCIV's AI sucks ass though, it's really not hard to beat anyone, even on the hardest difficulty. And once you've mastered Guard Impact, everything is a joke.

And now I think I need to get better at the Xbox controls. I'm so used to the Gamecube and Wii controls that Xbox just feels weird to me. Guess this is the cost of being a Nintendo fanboy for like twelve years.

Really, all a good Siegfried player needs to do is lure either you, or get himself to the edge, and use a command throw. If you can use Siegfried well, almost no one can stand up to that; on top of having ridiculously long reach, he's got speed, and power.

Let's see who get who off of the stage first!

Okay, with that in mind, I will now not use Siegfried. Which sounds okay because I'm starting to like Zasalamel.

Okay, time to answer more seriously then last time, although I don't play that many fighting games in general.

Tekken: Panda, because I like them pandas. I also like King and Jack.
Soulcalibur: Voldo, his strangeness appeals to me, for some reason. I also have a liking for Yoshimitsu, Tira, Cervantes, Astaroth and Rock.
Guilty Gear: Faust, but I don't understand that game so I never play it.
Super Smash Brothers Brawl: Almost everyone, but my favourites are Lucas, King Dedede, Wario, Snake, R.O.B, Kirby, Marth, Luigi, Pikachu and so on.

Guilty Gear: Faust, but I don't understand that game so I never play it.

What's not to understand about GG? D=

Speaking of Guilty Gear, I don't remember if I put that in before, and I'm too lazy to check, but as of Accent Core+; Slayer as my main. As he has been for the last six years. I still don't really have a sub, but it would've been Faust if he didn't get nerfed so badly in Accent Core. I've been practicing with Testament and Baiken a lot though lately, and Order-Sol's pretty fun too. I also enjoy using A.B.A

Seeing as though I managed to leave some of my favorite fighting games out;

NeoGeo Battle Coliseum: I tend to use characters all over the place in it. I like to switch around teams consisting of various characters, the ones I use most being; K`, Yuki, Rock Howard, Kyo, Marco, Mars People, Nakoruru, Terry, Moriya, and the occasion Geese.

Fate/unlimited codes; Sakura, and a bit of the occasion Leysritt, and Luviagelita. Archer's also a plus, especially if you can pull off Unlimited Blade Works.

Arcana Heart 2; Inuwaka sisters <3 with Lan-Gong, or Anutpada as my Arcana.

Sengoku Basara X; Oichi, and Kenshin.

Fist of the North Star; Toki. FATAL KO

Rival Schools 2: Project Justice; As long as Akira/P. Akira are on my team, I'm good to go. I also really enjoy using Shoma, Edge, Kyosuke, Batsu, Momo, and just for the lolz, Nagare.

Last Blade 2: Hibiki all the way. You can't possibly go wrong with Iaido. I also tend to use Setsuna occasionally.

Darkstalkers 3: Gallon/Jon Talbain. Lei-Lei is <3, and I use Dimitri just because Midnight Bliss is awesome "CAM OUN BAYBEE"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom