• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Challenge Board

Why am I only in one battle? Will anyone take this? Should I write arenas with under the influence? These can be answered by anyone who accepts this (possibly shitty) challenge

Format: 3v3 Double (why not)
Style: Switch
DQ: 2 weeks
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned/Restricted Moves: Direct heals limited to six per team, swagger, evasion boosts
Arena Description: An arena that has not been used in a long time

Like a least fifty years. Back when there were only around forty Pokemon discovered. This arena is a basic football pitch that was converted for Pokemon use. The grass is over grown and weeds are high around the edges, but the center is suprisingly short. It might not be the regulation 4.625 inches the League requires but it is not too tall to block any Pokemon. The seats around the arena are rusted and falling apart, and the stands are weak. Any strong moves with an Area of Effect (like Boomburt, Earthquake, Flame Burst) will weaken the stands.

The stand only have 30 health, and went it reaches zero they will collapse in the direction of the Pokemon that did the move. The collapse will deal 15% typeless damage to the attacker, and anyone near it.

Also there is a 10% chance at the end of eacg round a few local punk kids will break in and pelt everyone with rocks, which is counted as a 3% damage rock attack. We really need to find their parents....

I'll take this.

Reffing this one.

Last edited:
Format: 3v3 single
Style: Set
DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Dig
Arena Description: Land of Light and Rain

The league is back? It must be the end of the world. In fact, it is! To make a long story short, a couple of trainers and a ref have ended up in the Land of Light and Rain, a planet orbiting the mystical place called Skaia. They might as well have a battle, right? No point in letting such a beautiful place go to waste, what with all its vividly colored water and clouds.

The designated area for battling is a patch of sea that’s about 30 square meters, with a sandy island-archipelago-type thing in the middle. Streams criss-cross through the island, making it simple for water-types as well as land-bound Pokemon to move from one end to the other. In the middle is a small chalky pink structure that cannot be entered; at the end of every round, there is a 20% chance that a Marble Imp will emerge and deal 3% typeless damage to one of the battlers. Overhead, the weather changes unpredictably, making every round equally likely to start with Sunny Day or Rain Dance.

Profile link: over here
I'll take you up on this battle!

Profile!

it appears to be reffing time

Time for my first metronome battle of the revived ASB.

Format: 3v3 Single
Style: Rotation
DQ: 1 Week
Banned Moves: Everything except Metronome!
Damage Cap: None
Arena: Cinnabar Eastern Shoreline
The sea to the right, the volcano to the left. The terrain is rocky with the odd hardy plant growing out of a crack in the stone floor. To the southwest, the notable buildings of Cinnabar (including the gym and the lab) can be seen from the battle spot, and to the northwest is the islands most popular beach. Let's hope there are no stray Draco Meteors or anything... As for the volcano, any ground shaking move (ie Earthquake or Magnitude etc) has a 20% of triggering an eruption from the volcano (wouldn't that be terrible?). Of course if there is an eruption (not including the move) the RNG Gods will protect us from the deadly lava while we finish our battle. Finally once a trainer has had 2 Pokémon KO'ed, there is then a 5% chance at the start of each round for Missingno. to appear and glitch out the local area, turning everything to grey-scale and only allowing Gen 1 moves to be called for the rest of the round. (Missingno. cannot appear for 2 rounds after it has appeared.)
Profile: Why have a simple battle?

Other: At the start of the battle the trainers must send out all three of their Pokémon, and state in which order they will rotate through (ie 1 > 2 > 3 > 1). It does not take an action to rotate between Pokémon. No Pokémon can be on the field for more than 2 rounds without rotating out.

Time for my first metronome battle of the revived ASB.

Format: 3v3 Single
Style: Rotation
Banned Moves: Everything except Metronome!
Damage Cap: None
Arena: Cinnabar Eastern Shoreline
The sea to the right, the volcano to the left. The terrain is rocky with the odd hardy plant growing out of a crack in the stone floor. To the southwest, the notable buildings of Cinnabar (including the gym and the lab) can be seen from the battle spot, and to the northwest is the islands most popular beach. Let's hope there are no stray Draco Meteors or anything... As for the volcano, any ground shaking move (ie Earthquake or Magnitude etc) has a 20% of triggering an eruption from the volcano (wouldn't that be terrible?). Of course if there is an eruption (not including the move) the RNG Gods will protect us from the deadly lava while we finish our battle. Finally once a trainer has had 2 Pokémon KO'ed, there is then a 5% chance at the start of each round for Missingno. to appear and glitch out the local area, turning everything to grey-scale and only allowing Gen 1 moves to be called for the rest of the round. (Missingno. cannot appear for 2 rounds after it has appeared.)
Profile: Why have a simple battle?

Other: At the start of the battle the trainers must send out all three of their Pokémon, and state in which order they will rotate through (ie 1 > 2 > 3 > 1). It does not take an action to rotate between Pokémon. No Pokémon can be on the field for more than 2 rounds without rotating out.

I'll try this

This is an open challenge, by the way

Format: 2v2 Single
Damage Cap: 20%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO's / Indoor Arena Restrictions Apply
Arena Description: Dancefloor of a Thousand Sweet Moves

To the layman, this excessively large room is little more than a space cleared for people who have perhaps over-imbibed to flail about for awhile until the combination of trippy lights, smoke machine smoke, thumping bass, and more physical activity than the rest of their month combined cause them to have to be transported out again on a makeshift drink trolley-made stretcher. What most don't know is that it's also MAGIC... Or perhaps it isn't. Really it depends on your specific set of beliefs.

In any case, the room is one big empty and otherwise boring battleground with two defining features. One is the aforementioned gratuitous and over-done effects; lighted, flashing floors, disco balls, smoke machines, heavy duty speakers and other such fun things to turn the place into a confusing mess of sensory input. The other is a jukebox, lined neatly up against the wall. A MAGIC jukebox. [Citation Needed.]

The jukebox is hooked into the facility's excessive sound systems, but seems to lack any significant labelling. In fact, only one button appears to actually function, the "Next Track" button - a surprising quirk for such an apparently otherwise well-maintained piece. The music it pumps out is unpredictable, and seems to change with the occupants. Furthermore, it seems to affect the very flow of everything going on within its affected space... Huh, maybe the thing really is magic.

Functionality: The Jukebox's music will be determined by the ref - they will be responsible for taking their playlist, iPod, internet radio or other preferred method of musical shuffling and posting the first song rolled each time a participant uses the "Next Track" command.

Participants may use an action to change the current track, they may do so a maximum of once every other round.

The current track will have an effect on all current participants on the battlefield - the effects are at the judge's discretion and should be based on the current song.
IE. A song that "Makes you want to fight" or is about fighting may modify all attacks to use the Fighting element, or add a small secondary damage buff, such as an additional 3% damage treated as a second, separate attack in the same action.
Songs about introversion or closing off might give all combatants +2 to Defence and Special Defence and/or -2 to Attack and Special attack.
Songs that are overall aggressive might give +2 to Attack and Special attack and/or -2 to Defence and Special Defence.
Lively or Fast-Paced songs may grant speed bonuses, or even grant small amounts of healing per round.

In all have fun and apply crazy effects per song, and remember they apply to both sides.

Finally, a participant can be ordered to "Dance" - at which point they will apply a 1.5x modifier to the current buffs AND debuffs for the remainder of the current song.
IE a +2 modifier becomes +3, a -2 becomes -3.
Damage effects have their effects multiplied - 2% additive damage would become 3%. The same applies to healing effects.

If both combatants choose to Dance in the same turn, it becomes a DANCE OFF, and all effects are multiplied by 2.0x for BOTH combatants.
IE a +2 modifier becomes +4, etcetera.
A 2% effect becomes 4%, etcetera.

Profile: noot noot
If this is still open, I would very much like to do this battle.

Profile: snart

This is an open challenge, by the way

Format: 2v2 Single
Damage Cap: 20%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO's / Indoor Arena Restrictions Apply
Arena Description: Dancefloor of a Thousand Sweet Moves

To the layman, this excessively large room is little more than a space cleared for people who have perhaps over-imbibed to flail about for awhile until the combination of trippy lights, smoke machine smoke, thumping bass, and more physical activity than the rest of their month combined cause them to have to be transported out again on a makeshift drink trolley-made stretcher. What most don't know is that it's also MAGIC... Or perhaps it isn't. Really it depends on your specific set of beliefs.

In any case, the room is one big empty and otherwise boring battleground with two defining features. One is the aforementioned gratuitous and over-done effects; lighted, flashing floors, disco balls, smoke machines, heavy duty speakers and other such fun things to turn the place into a confusing mess of sensory input. The other is a jukebox, lined neatly up against the wall. A MAGIC jukebox. [Citation Needed.]

The jukebox is hooked into the facility's excessive sound systems, but seems to lack any significant labelling. In fact, only one button appears to actually function, the "Next Track" button - a surprising quirk for such an apparently otherwise well-maintained piece. The music it pumps out is unpredictable, and seems to change with the occupants. Furthermore, it seems to affect the very flow of everything going on within its affected space... Huh, maybe the thing really is magic.

Functionality: The Jukebox's music will be determined by the ref - they will be responsible for taking their playlist, iPod, internet radio or other preferred method of musical shuffling and posting the first song rolled each time a participant uses the "Next Track" command.

Participants may use an action to change the current track, they may do so a maximum of once every other round.

The current track will have an effect on all current participants on the battlefield - the effects are at the judge's discretion and should be based on the current song.
IE. A song that "Makes you want to fight" or is about fighting may modify all attacks to use the Fighting element, or add a small secondary damage buff, such as an additional 3% damage treated as a second, separate attack in the same action.
Songs about introversion or closing off might give all combatants +2 to Defence and Special Defence and/or -2 to Attack and Special attack.
Songs that are overall aggressive might give +2 to Attack and Special attack and/or -2 to Defence and Special Defence.
Lively or Fast-Paced songs may grant speed bonuses, or even grant small amounts of healing per round.

In all have fun and apply crazy effects per song, and remember they apply to both sides.

Finally, a participant can be ordered to "Dance" - at which point they will apply a 1.5x modifier to the current buffs AND debuffs for the remainder of the current song.
IE a +2 modifier becomes +3, a -2 becomes -3.
Damage effects have their effects multiplied - 2% additive damage would become 3%. The same applies to healing effects.

If both combatants choose to Dance in the same turn, it becomes a DANCE OFF, and all effects are multiplied by 2.0x for BOTH combatants.
IE a +2 modifier becomes +4, etcetera.
A 2% effect becomes 4%, etcetera.

Profile: noot noot
If this is still open, I would very much like to do this battle.

Profile: snart
I've been wanting to ref this since I first saw it so.... -snatches-

I want something quick.

Format: 1 vs. 1 Singles
DQ: Five Days.
Damage Cap: 99%.
Banned/Restricted Moves: Direct recovery, status effect inducing moves (no confusion, attraction, burns, etc), evasion moves. Chills are limited to three per Pokemon. OHKO moves are allowed.

Arena Description: The Place
In this place, people don't mess around. It is a bar full of gruff rowdy men looking for entertainment. There's no tricks, none of that indirect sissy nonsense. Just all out brawling and battling. We all just want to a watch a good fight, after all.

I'll take this.

Press A for Profile

Challenge for Sylph.

Format: 2v2 Doubles
DQ: Two weeks
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, direct healing, perish song, destiny bond, pain split, attract

Arena Description: The Ruins of Asber

The battle takes place on the same street as the Pokemon Registration Office and the Fourth United Bank of TCoD, both now just rubble and shattered glass, destroyed by two particularly massive meteors that even now have the warm green glow of draconic energy. It might be speculated that these buildings, once core facilities of the League and symbols of Asber's wealth and power, weren't struck by the meteors by mere chance, but instead the meteors had been precisely aimed by psychic power. Or perhaps they had been direct targets of the initial onslaught in the first place. It's impossible to know.

What is clear, however, is that this was once the heart of Asber, and that it has been destroyed beyond repair.

It would seem that clearing out the rubble from the ruins of the downtown area was not a priority. Instead the old buildings were just sectioned off, with visits still permitted, but now unusable for League purposes. With the move to entirely online banking and pokemon registration, those buildings aren't necessary any more, anyway.

The dust has long since settled, but the buildings are now mostly destroyed, and there are craters along the road. Rubble has fallen even onto the cracked roads and sidewalks, making them nigh impassable, but fortunately, with the effort of over a hundred pokemon, a large part of the road has been cleared.

The sky is full of ominous clouds and rainwater has gathered in every crater and crevice left by the battle. Weeds have taken root and sprouted out of cracks in the road, and vines have started to climb over the buildings. Occasionally, an abandoned pokemon from trainers who never returned might poke its head over the rubble.

I'm not waiting until my tournament battle is over to do this, dammit >:(

Format: 1 vs. 1 vs. 1 vs. ... vs. 1
DQ: a really long time
Damage Cap: none
Banned/Restricted Moves: none
Arena Description: A ball pit made for mini bugs. Could this bee more adorable?

Additional Rules:

• The only allowed Pokémon are Caterpie, Weedle, Wurmple, Kricketot, Combee, Burmy, and Scatterbug. (EDIT by Zhorken: You missed Burmy you are the WORST.) Big cocoons are NOT allowed in the baby playground. >:(
  • Each Pokémon starts with 30% health and energy (this is flexible; if people want a different amount, let's go for it!).
  • Up to 16 people may join this battle (lmao) and I am totally willing to lower the health and energy amounts if a lot of people actually join to make this manageable for the ref.
  • Commands will be sent in by PM, and the ref has as long as they need to post reffings. The ref is free to choose a reasonable DQ time for all other participants.

(poll for the masses: should Magikarp, Tynamo, etc. also be allowed? I can't decide.) others are forbidden from entering the baby bug playground

Zhorken will be reffing, and they added some more rules:

• When you accept this, link to your chosen Pokémon's profile
  • It doesn't need to be in your active squad
  • Flying is neutral against Bug so that Combee is fair
  • You have one week to send in commands, but rather than getting disqualified, you just don't get to do anything for the round
  • It won't count towards win/loss records (once those are actually a thing)
  • It won't take up a battle slot either
  • I'm not sure about prizes. Obviously the winner shouldn't get a zillion dollars, and given that it's probably going to be hard to actually strategize I'm probably just going to say that everyone who participates gets to fully evolve.

Current Participants:

1. Eifie and Vermiculate Monsoon
  2. blazheirio889 and BEES
  3. I liek Squirtles and Deedle Deedle Whoop
  4. Totodile and Garchomp
  5. Noctowl and Olaf
  6. Dar and Envy
  7. RespectTheBlade and Aldrin
  8. allitersonance and antialiasis
  9. Grass King and Lepidoptera
  10. Arylett Charnoa and Kukai
  11. Keldeo and Micah
  12. Lilypad and Bumblethree
  13. Coloursfall and Swallowtail
  14. Gevaisa and Heather
  15. Zora of Termina and Wormy
  16. Zekrom Bolt and Scatterbug
  17. super special exception: Sangfroidish and COVERED IN BEES

Last edited:
You'd probably wanna let in the full range of shit-tier crapmon, just to allow for the tiniest bit of variety.

Nonsense, I have allowed for bugs of all colors and stripes! ... Though Zhorken has brought to my attention that I missed Burmy.

Well, Tynamo (which I'm guessing you meant rather than Tympole which actually has more than five moves) is kind of a maggoty sort of thing, I'd say. It's not really lamprey-ish until it evolves.

I wanna ref this, and also I'm gonna add a few more stipulations:

• If this does stay Bug-only, Flying should be neutral against Bug so that Combee is fair

EDIT:
  • You have one week to send in commands, but rather than getting disqualified, you just don't get to do anything for the round
  • It won't count towards win/loss records (once those are actually a thing)
  • I'm not sure about prizes. Obviously the winner shouldn't get a zillion dollars, and given that it's probably going to be hard to actually strategize I'm probably just going to say that everyone who participates gets to fully evolve.

Last edited:

Additional Rules: The only allowed Pokémon are Caterpie, Weedle, Wurmple, Kricketot, Sewaddle, Scatterbug, and any other baby bug I may have missed. (EDIT by Zhorken: You missed Burmy you are the WORST.) Big cocoons are NOT allowed in the baby playground. >:( Each Pokémon starts with 30% health and energy (this is flexible; if people want a different amount, let's go for it!). Up to 16 people may join this battle (lmao) and I am totally willing to lower the health and energy amounts if a lot of people actually join to make this manageable for the ref. Commands will be sent in by PM, and the ref has as long as they need to post reffings. The ref is free to choose a reasonable DQ time for all other participants.

(poll for the masses: should Magikarp, Tympole, etc. also be allowed? I can't decide.)

Gosh, you make a bee pun and forget about Combee. Well, this Combee wants in. |<

(this is indeed the best thing to come out of the suggestion box)

I wanna ref this, and also I'm gonna add a few more stipulations:

• If this does stay Bug-only, Flying should be neutral against Bug so that Combee is fair

You are the best! Here's mine.

Also, I'm thinking of just letting in all shitty things that need money to evolve (and Wynaut, which... only evolves by experience for some reason). Would you be okay with that or would you prefer just bugs?

Wynaut has the exact same movepool as Wobbuffet. :P

I'm okay with that although in that case I guess the Combee rule should probably be expanded to "there is no type chart"? idk.

Additional Rules: The only allowed Pokémon are Caterpie, Weedle, Wurmple, Kricketot, Sewaddle, Scatterbug, and any other baby bug I may have missed. (EDIT by Zhorken: You missed Burmy you are the WORST.) Big cocoons are NOT allowed in the baby playground. >:( Each Pokémon starts with 30% health and energy (this is flexible; if people want a different amount, let's go for it!). Up to 16 people may join this battle (lmao) and I am totally willing to lower the health and energy amounts if a lot of people actually join to make this manageable for the ref. Commands will be sent in by PM, and the ref has as long as they need to post reffings. The ref is free to choose a reasonable DQ time for all other participants.

(poll for the masses: should Magikarp, Tympole, etc. also be allowed? I can't decide.)
I have taken this as an opportunity to buy this cutie that happens to be a Kricketot.

I don't think we should let the others in because this is strictly for bugs. Besides, bugs are the best things ever, especially when they're cute.

Yeah, actually, "the others" amounts to Magikarp, Beldum, and Tynamo, and none of those are nearly as cute as bugs so I vote bugs only.

Also, I just noticed: Sewaddle isn't actually allowed; its movepool isn't restricted.

Back
Top Bottom