• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Beckett Pokemon Platinum info!!

Charizard Morph

has doomed us all.
This is from an article I found in Beckett Pokemon Unofficial Collector Magazine. And I thought that some of the information might be useful, or just fun. So if you already know everything then forgive me. everything italicized is 100% from the article. everything in bold is my opinion.
So, here goes:

Item one:
Cresselia is no longer the only roaming pokemon for this generation. get ready to use your pokedex more than ever as your going to have to hunt down Mesprit and the Legendary trio of kanto: Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres.

Pokedex? don't you mean poketech? tut tut.
the Kanto trio is my second favorite trio, so I feel that adding them to the game is an improvement. I also don't have to catch them all again in fire Red to send them over to Platinum, I just have to catch them in Platinum. I also enjoy fallowing the movement patterns of the "roaming" pokemon, so adding three more makes it more interesting.

Item two: There are a lot of subtle changes to the game you might not notice at first. These include the obtainable pokemon from pokemon mansion, a complete overhaul of the great marsh, the fact that honey takes six hours to work instead of twelve now, changes to the second to fourth gyms, and the Top Trainer Cafe where you will encounter powered up versions of the gym leaders and even the people you teamed up with for tag battles like Riley or Cheryl. You might not notice some of these at first, so remember to think about the game as if it's a brand new chapter in pokemon.

I don't know much about the pokemon mansion, I don't usually go there, but "a complete overhaul of the great marsh" sounds like it'd be interesting. I've always been a big fan of the safari zones but the great marsh could use some pokemon quantity improvement, so hopefully the overhaul is of some rare and strong ones. I like the honey tree feature so the time improvement is well, an improvement.

The gym changes I have no clue about, but the new stuff with the top trainer cafe sounds like fun, especially for training.

Item three:
One big change that will probably hit you by surprise is that you can now be challenged in pokemon centers!

mmkay, let me type that again, Pokemon Centers. yep, pokemon centers. The places you run to when you've just defeated a gym leader and have three feinted pokemon, two paralyzed ones with only half their HP and one that's poisoned and in the red. okay, back to the info.

There are six different trainers you might encounter in this way and these trainers change centers every day, meaning unless you write down their daily locations you could be in for a shock no matter where you go! On the plus side, like your rival the pokemon of these trainers slowly start to gain levels after you beat the elite four so they're a nice source of XP and money. You also have weekend battles with your rival and his pokemon can get up to level eighty-five, allowing a trainer the hardest possible NPC vs. Player battles since the mystery gift mansion in the second generation.

alright! Easy level ups, and extra money is always nice. This sounds good and should be fun, so along with the Top Trainers Café and this, not to mention the vs. seeker you’re set to get some strong pokemon!

Quite possibly the biggest change you’ll notice is the Sinnoh pokedex itself. In diamond and pearl the Sinnoh pokedex only held 150 pokemon. All you needed to do was see a pokemon for it to count towards your opening of the national dex. Now though? The Sinnoh dex holds 210 spots with some big changes in the pokemon you’ll see throughout the region before you beat the elite four. It also means you have a lot more work to do to complete the Sinnoh dex.

Hmm, I’m not sure how I feel about this, all of the extra pokemon running around gives you more options for your team, but the fact that you have to find sixty more pokemon so that you can get the national dex and go to pal park is a little irritating. I think that the extra options in pokemon and moves will most likely make up for that though.

And I’m almost done.
The Happiny egg is going to be replaced with a Togepis and you apparently receive a free Porygon somewhere throughout the game. And the writer of this section believes that this will be one of the best Pokemon RPGs released so far.

So keep looking forward to Pokemon Platinum!! And thank you for reading this.

I think most people already know this, but a couple of corrections:

Cresselia is no longer the only roaming pokemon for this generation. get ready to use your pokedex more than ever as your going to have to hunt down Mesprit and the Legendary trio of kanto: Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres.
Mesprit was roaming in Diamond and Pearl as well.

the fact that honey takes six hours to work instead of twelve now
This is incorrect, or rather, honey trees always took six hours to work. Tested this myself on Diamond.

mmkay, let me type that again, Pokemon Centers. yep, pokemon centers. The places you run to when you've just defeated a gym leader and have three feinted pokemon, two paralyzed ones with only half their HP and one that's poisoned and in the red. okay, back to the info.
It is slightly misleading to say you can be challenged in Pokémon Centers; these are trainers standing by the counter that you have to talk to to battle them, and they ask you if you want to battle first, so it's very difficult to land yourself in that kind of a situation.

allowing a trainer the hardest possible NPC vs. Player battles since the mystery gift mansion in the second generation
Also inaccurate; the mansion trainer had level 50 Pokémon by default. While you could get higher-leveled ones using Mystery Gift, you could also get to battle friends in their secret bases in the third generation if you had mixed records.

Hmm, I’m not sure how I feel about this, all of the extra pokemon running around gives you more options for your team, but the fact that you have to find sixty more pokemon so that you can get the national dex and go to pal park is a little irritating.
Like Diamond and Pearl, Platinum makes sure that if you've battled all the trainers, confronted all the legendaries and looked at the book in the Pokémon Mansion, you will have seen all 210 by the time you beat the game, so it's really not that big of a deal.

I think we knew everything there except for the Pokemon Center thing, which I haven't seen on Serebii or Bulbapedia yet. But then again, I'm not sure if we can trust Beckett as a very reliable source of info. I'm guessing that feature is in the game from the way Butterfree was talking.

It is slightly misleading to say you can be challenged in Pokémon Centers; these are trainers standing by the counter that you have to talk to to battle them, and they ask you if you want to battle first, so it's very difficult to land yourself in that kind of a situation.
Ok that's good.

Dam This make me want it more :sad:

It seems like such a cool game. Although its basically the same as Diamond and Pearl...

The only thing that is the same between this game and D/P is the region and the general story. Other than that, it basically is a new game, since the story was changed around a lot, new features, new pokemon formes, upgraded pokedex, and new areas and upgraded areas. So yes, generally it is the same, but if you delve into the details it is different.

Back
Top Bottom