• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Inheritance Cycle

The unit was not sent to attack Carvahall, only to seize Roran. I believe he discussed this with one of that blacksmith's sons in the Spine. The soldiers did seem to have poor discipline and the Ra'zac didn't care all that much, yes, but they only launched an open assault on Carvahall after the villagers' attack.

Which reminds me. When everyone is about to leave Carvahall, some people stay behind, apparently to give the imperial soldiers a fight they'll never forget. They choose certain death over possible escape. Which is not very intelligent.

Well then, they were just protecting Roran. Roran was no threat to the Empire, but Galbatorix sent two dangerous and unpredictable human-eating predators and a platoon of soldiers to sieze him. The villagers were betrayed by their own King and they did their best to prevent Roran from being captured. If you're government sent two assassins and a SWAT team to capture you because you're brother was against him, would you give in?

Probably not, but hostages do a hell of a lot of good in the department of "getting people to stop being terrorists" department.

Rebels = A group rebelling against some form of opression or another group on a higher level in the social hierarchy.

Terrorists = A group attacking another group because of prejudice or revenge who create fear but rarely openly attack their target.

I've used Crazy Linoone's post as an example. He calls Arya a bad character without giving any reasons why and cites his reasons for hating the book...and America, oddly enough, because people at his school liked it and recommended it.

I feel the need to defend myself. Firstly, I'm female. See that little place on the top right of my post or under my avatar (depends on what style you use) that states the gender of the poster?

Next, I admit that I didn't use any examples. I personally don't think I need any reasons for disliking something. I am entitled to my opinions, thank you very much. I didn't say that the book was bad; I said that I thought the book was bad. And if you want reasons, here they are: I didn't like the style, the godawful misuse of thesaurus, and the plot. See Anti-Shur'tugal for more details.

And if you're going to attack me about disliking America, I just want you to know that I live in America, and I have my reasons for disliking it.

Now for something more on topic.

If you're government sent two assassins and a SWAT team to capture you because you're brother was against him, would you give in?

I think you meant "your", no? It took me quite a while before I figured that out...

Since I didn't read the third book (and am not planning to), I can't comment on the events. However. Any sane person would give in because it's you against two assassins and a SWAT team. Who do you think will win? I'm rooting for the SWAT team unless you're Mary Sue. Which then I'll root for the SWAT team anyway even if they're going to get killed. And since they're here to capture you, not to kill you... I say I have a better chance of living to go with them.

Rebels = A group rebelling against some form of opression or another group on a higher level in the social hierarchy.

Terrorists = A group attacking another group because of prejudice or revenge who create fear but rarely openly attack their target.

Rebels can also be terrorists. They can terrorize others to fight against the government, and vice versa.

This thread should go in the Debating Hall.

I feel the need to defend myself. Firstly, I'm female. See that little place on the top right of my post or under my avatar (depends on what style you use) that states the gender of the poster?

That was a mistake on my part.

Since I didn't read the third book (and am not planning to), I can't comment on the events. However. Any sane person would give in because it's you against two assassins and a SWAT team. Who do you think will win? I'm rooting for the SWAT team unless you're Mary Sue. Which then I'll root for the SWAT team anyway even if they're going to get killed. And since they're here to capture you, not to kill you... I say I have a better chance of living to go with them.

Interestingly enough, it was the second book. I personally haven't read the third yet. And in the instance it was Roran and the town of Carvahall against two supernaturally powerful assassins and the medieval equivalent of a SWAT team. Also, my main point was the government part, not what specifically came after you. If you're government betrayed you like that, would you not fight back?

Rebels can also be terrorists. They can terrorize others to fight against the government, and vice versa.

True enough, but the Varden don't.

How do you know they didn't? We know very little of what they were doing.

And somehow I don't think invading someone's mind just because their dad was on the side of Evil is kosher. At all.

I think invading someone's mind just because their dad was one of the most powerful people on the side of Evil and he lived in the castle of the King for most of his life and was in the King's employ is fairly kosher. Also, note that they didn't invade Murtagh's mind, he held out, which earned him Ajihad's respect.

I still think its perfectly okay for them to do that to someone who was potentially on of their biggest threats, and later rose to be one of their biggest threats.

If a dude risks death or worse to try to get the fuck away from the Evil Empire, then I'd imagine that he's probably fairly trustworthy. Changing a possible-enemy into a definite-enemy because you don't trust him and want to destroy the last semblance of privacy he has does not seem like a good idea.

Also isn't Murtagh helping the Empire unwillingly?

Last edited:
If a dude risks death or worse to try to get the fuck away from the Evil Empire, then I'd imagine that he's probably fairly trustworthy. Changing a possible-enemy into a definite-enemy because you don't trust him and want to destroy the last semblance of privacy he has does not seem like a good idea.

Also isn't Murtagh helping the Empire unwillingly?

The Varden didn't know that he'd risked death or worse though, did he? All they knew was that the son of one of their most fearsome enemies showed up with Eragon. Why would you risk letting a spy into your midst just to look fair? And stop making it look like they treated Murtagh unfairly, that's how they treated all newcomers to Farthen Dur.

That's a bit of a grey area. He is definitely under Galbatorix's control and expresses his hopelessness at the situation, but also tells Eragon that his life is sweet, the only way we would know is if he was released from Galbatorix's control.

Um, I'd say that if a guy is hanging around helping a known criminal then they're probably at risk for harsh punishments. Common sense, y'know.

If they treat everyone trying to enter Dwarfland by invading their minds, then I'd say they're assholes!

They're not entering Dwarfland, they're entering the secret base of a rebel group. If someone showed up at the secret entrance to your base, you'd interrogate them to find out why and how they got there. Well in Inheritance, they just happen to have a better type of interrogation. Unfortunately, their interrogators are two asshole bad guys.

Said secret base is at... Dwarfland.

It's not just the guys who are interrogating them that're assholes: whoever hired them even after knowing they're assholes is at fault, too.

And? It in itself is not Dwarfland, Dwarfland is the entire mountain range and Farthen Dur is simply one mountain in it. It is the only part of Dwarfland that requires psychic interrogation for entrance.

Personally, I'd rather have a skilled asshole than talentless nice guy doing my interrogation.

I haven't been on today because I got obssessed with Eldest, finally managed to finish that 600+ page sucker. Yes I like the series >.>

These three boys are having a contest to see who can read Eragon fastest. They're already starting the middle, but I'll start today and still whoop them. Mwehehe >:3

*sits back as enthusiastic audience to opaltiger and TES* Whoo, literary debate GOGOGOGOGO

EDIT: :D Finished Brisingr while we were down. Fuck I love it.

*grabs Paolini* PUBLISH THE LAST ONE NOW

EDIT2: Shit did I kill this or something D:

Last edited:
Finished Brisingr on Tuesday
Very suprising ending. Then again, Oromis and Glaedr had it coming.
And did anyone notice that it was quite easy for Eragon and Roran to defeat the Ra'zac and rescue Katrina?

Back
Top Bottom