• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggestion Box

Heehee, this isn't actually as bad as I thought. The multipliers (and the "to"s) form a little sideways pyramid:

type-matchups-2.png

0.67 is at sufficiently high precision that it's obviously intended to be 2/3 (it makes a difference if you have, what, numbers over 150?), and okay honestly I have no issue with 9/4× double-SE and 4/9× double-nve.

wow how did I forget sun stone

Sun/moon stones do have a different association than the typed stones and the time-of-day stones (shiny stone isn't associated with anything else) so it'd be nice to make them have related effects in the same way.

It would be nice if it paralleled whatever you're doing to differentiate the moves moonlight and morning sun if possible. If you're making moonlight actually dependent on it being night then the moon stone can also benefit from the same conditions, to parallel the moonlight/morning sun thing. Night battles aren't common but that's something fully under the control of whoever is making the arena.

If they're both going to activate under sunny day, you can split the health/energy boost between stones, but also increase it so it's 3%/action or so?
Oi, if you're bring GSC mechanics back into it, you'd better make it the full trio. So in-game that's 12.5%/25%/50%/100% depending on weather + time of day, with Morning Sun only being boosted by 2 am to 10 am, Synthesis by 10 am to 6 pm, and Moonlight by 6 pm to 2 am.

If you do the heal nerf that's been discussed, then that'd probably be 15%/20%/25%/30% or something.

what could we even base it on, when the ref is reffing?

there is already precedent for sunny day affecting moonlight so might as well use that

shedinja should also be able to use all level-up moves learned by ninjask at level 20 or later in gens 3 and 4.

(ninjask's level-up learnset hasn't actually changed since gen 4)

For ref exam battles, in addition to the newbies-only clause wrt challengers, can it be that they choose whether they're going to use a rental team (they don't have to say what specifically) or their personal team when they accept the challenge? I know that if I'm the supervisor, and if they're going to use their own team, I'd rather bring a team of unevolved pokemon rather than being all intimidating with my numerous third stages. (I might still do that if they want a taste of power, but.)

Why not just change the weakness and resistance modifiers to powers of the square root of two? That would make it 0.5, ~0.7, 1.0, ~1.4, 2.0. Isn't that elegant? Both of the intermediate ones are rounded down a bit. Not by much, though. Pinky swear.

Could the Lucky Egg be changed to double sendout exp rather than KO exp? The difference between 1 exp and 3 is kind of large and given that this is a fairly slow game, the difference between 'evolving' and 'not evolving' for exp-based pokemon is stark and stressful, and you're losing the hold item slot either way.

The thing I like about the Soothe Bell is that it makes it a lot easier to not actually get invested in winning or losing, and instead I just try to have a good time, but there's currently no way to do that with exp-based evolutions.

So, with the Soothe Bell, zero KOs and one KO both net you two happiness — are you suggesting the same for the Lucky Egg, or just that it should be the difference between two or three exp rather than one or three exp? (I mean, I already know what you meant, but clarify it here plz)

I like the latter; it would also make it a little less ridiculous when one Pokémon knocks out both opponents in a double battle. I'm not so hot on the former.

True enough, basing it on sendout experience also prevents the amount of exp gained from multiple knockouts from becoming excessive. All the more reason to change it up.

I was originally kind of ehhh toward the idea but upon further consideration of the fact that I'm planning to get a Larvesta: all for it

Looks like this idea is go then. I went ahead and changed it. I guess I should go back and see what else people agreed was a good idea; I haven't really been keeping up with this thread, eheheh.

shedinja should also be able to use all level-up moves learned by ninjask at level 20 or later in gens 3 and 4.

(ninjask's level-up learnset hasn't actually changed since gen 4)

Whoop, good catch. I'll do that at some point.

For ref exam battles, in addition to the newbies-only clause wrt challengers, can it be that they choose whether they're going to use a rental team (they don't have to say what specifically) or their personal team when they accept the challenge? I know that if I'm the supervisor, and if they're going to use their own team, I'd rather bring a team of unevolved pokemon rather than being all intimidating with my numerous third stages. (I might still do that if they want a taste of power, but.)

Yeah, that sounds good — I guess the rules for the test battle don't really need to change; they just need the loopholes taken care of. So I'm gonna go ahead and try and make these revisions, too.

Regarding the Moon Stone: for the sake of getting something done here, I'm going to make an Official Ruling and go with the "Fairy damage and Normal energy" effect. It had the most support, and it balances the four criteria people seem to have: doing something for Fairy-types, doing something for Skitty, being simple, and being fairly similar to the current effect.

Regarding the Moon Stone: for the sake of getting something done here, I'm going to make an Official Ruling and go with the "Fairy damage and Normal energy" effect. It had the most support, and it balances the four criteria people seem to have: doing something for Fairy-types, doing something for Skitty, being simple, and being fairly similar to the current effect.

;_;

Splitting the effect makes it a lot less useful, though, since you can't get both the damage and energy benefits at the same time and generally there's very little reason to switch between the two types. Each stone as it is has basically one effect (+1%/-1% for a single type, lowering accuracy, raising all move's final damage): this may be "simple," but it still has two distinct ones that don't interact with each other at all. They're just random and... there. And really, fairy damage/normal energy? Fairy has almost no damaging attacks...

+1% damage/-1% energy for normal and moon moves, please. :( For fairy boosts, we can just add in the polkadot bow?

Or! Alternative idea that I just thought of and particularly like:

To parallel the sun stone, "Restores 1% of the user's health and energy after each action during no weather." Only 1% because no weather is the default state for most battles, but this is comparable with leftovers (+1% health after each action), slightly more expensive than it (and can be made more expensive if necessary, plus the item is consumed when you evolve something with it), and the benefits are preventable if weather is in place (which prevents it from being a strictly better leftovers if you want to spam weather-boosted moves - it allows your opponent to mess with the item while boosting their own weather-based moves). I like this idea a lot now, actually.

Last edited:
Could the Lucky Egg be changed to double sendout exp rather than KO exp? The difference between 1 exp and 3 is kind of large and given that this is a fairly slow game, the difference between 'evolving' and 'not evolving' for exp-based pokemon is stark and stressful, and you're losing the hold item slot either way.

The thing I like about the Soothe Bell is that it makes it a lot easier to not actually get invested in winning or losing, and instead I just try to have a good time, but there's currently no way to do that with exp-based evolutions.

I'm not sure why it doesn't already work that way, actually...

True enough, basing it on sendout experience also prevents the amount of exp gained from multiple knockouts from becoming excessive. All the more reason to change it up.

I was originally kind of ehhh toward the idea but upon further consideration of the fact that I'm planning to get a Larvesta: all for it

Looks like this idea is go then. I went ahead and changed it. I guess I should go back and see what else people agreed was a good idea; I haven't really been keeping up with this thread, eheheh.

did ... did a radical change to exp rewards just get executed over 20min while I was eating with only echo-chamber support, what the hell

if changes (obviously wrong things excepted) are going to get made on that kind of timescale that kind of mildly wrecks the point of an open suggestion box

lucky egg mechanics is indeed borked but the 2 exp per KO thing makes 2v2 doubles an effective means of achieving 5-exp evolutions. given that exp basically does nothing other than officially boosting damage at 4 and 8 (... and tbh even I will admit it should probably stay that way), that is not at all broken.

if you're going to make that change you should also reduce basically all 5 exp evolutions to either 4 or 3 exp; most 4 exp evolutions also seem kind of excessive and should be dropped down to 3 exp.

until that's worked out, I strongly recommend revert.

this is horrifyingly ill-conceived. it severely reduces the utility of the moon stone: the normal boost, while minor and kind of odd, was at least accessible and viable for every moon stone evolver; a fairy damage boost and normal energy reduction totally shafts the nidofamily and skitty and slightly munna since energy is largely inconsequential. even without that concern, it also just becomes weaker than every other evostone because getting +damage and -energy on the same move is better.

no contest that the association with normal is Wrong, but it makes little sense to change it to something which makes no more sense, is dead weight on half the pokémon which evolve with it, totally doesn't correspond with sun stone at all :((( symmetry gosh

Back
Top Bottom