• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

A TCoD Oekaki?

Bluberry Bat

Mostly Ghostly
Just an idea that comes across... Has it ever been considered adding an Oekaki board somewhere on the site? ^^; With the community as artistic as it tends to be I'm sort of surprised we don't have one.
If you have know, an Oekaki is basically a "Doodle" forum, which you enter into a browser based drawing program (Usually ShiPainter) and can post any sort of drawings along with text. (And get comments on the picture, as well.) There are usually multiple boards: A main board where works of general proficiency go. In other words pictures and drawings you actually spend effort on making them look good. A "Pro" board where administrator approved members may post works with exceptional time and efforts put in. A doodle board where anything goes - either for practice, a doodle accompanied forum-type chat, or.. whatever really. A suggestions board, for holding contests and taking requests - And finally, a C/C board where people can ask for help from other members on their drawings. Generally they leave the picture "Public" so others can redline edit them.
Guess I was wondering if it's ever been considered or is possible. I always had a lot of fun on the one I used to go to even if I sucked~ I just have absolutely no want or will to be affiliated with the site it was bound to. (If you're THAT curious, I mean Marriland. *Shudder* Ugh.)

There used to be a question in the FAQ about this, but it seems Butterfree removed it for some reason. Anyway, I believe she essentially said that there will never be a tCoD oekaki, for several reasons:
a) she herself has no interest in using or running an oekaki
b) an oekaki is an oekaki is an oekaki, anyone who wants to draw using that software can just go to one of the millions of oekakis on the web
c) if she were to implement one, it would really be just because she can.

edit:

Well, there are several reasons I've always said no when asked.

For one thing, it's the simple matter of originality. I consider it a very important factor, and I'm already affiliated with several sites that have oekakis. Oekakis just turned into a trend, and I do not intend to follow it.

Secondly, I just don't like drawing on oekakis. I hate tablets and can absolutely not draw with them, drawing well with a mouse is very difficult, and I feel that since I already have a top-notch paint program, I'm better off just drawing there. And if I'm not too fond of oekakis myself, I think it would be stupid for me to put up one. Same reason as why I don't have a chatroom.

Thirdly, as I said earlier, I'm already affiliated with several sites that have oekakis. Now, why exactly would I register at more than one oekaki? If I wanted to draw, why couldn't I just as well go to the one of them, register there and then always draw there? Would I need more than one Oekaki account? What you do on an Oekaki is to draw; you can't draw better on one Oekaki than another. If you'd go there to comment on pictures and stuff, you could as well register at the forums and just hang out in Fan Art.

Last edited:
Aw, figures.. :/
Sigh.. I didn't know Oekakis were an apparently trend. Honestly I've only ever been on one, and I thought I was fairly well travelled. It's really not about a trend though - it's more something considering the community here. Sure anyone can go to any other Oekaki, but that sort of defeats the purpose.

Most artists at TCoD are traditional artists over digital anyway.

I would love an oekaki here, but they kinda are pointless. I'm already signed up at one on a Kirby sites anyways.

Butterfree makes a valid point about them.

edit:

Most artists at TCoD are traditional artists over digital anyway.

I'm the exception, then. That was true before I got my tablet, but afterwards? Nope.

Aw, figures.. :/
Sigh.. I didn't know Oekakis were an apparently trend. Honestly I've only ever been on one, and I thought I was fairly well travelled. It's really not about a trend though - it's more something considering the community here. Sure anyone can go to any other Oekaki, but that sort of defeats the purpose.
Well, the reason I removed the question from the FAQ is that they aren't really a trend anymore - trends come and go. At the time I wrote that FAQ answer (2005/6 or so), oekakis were all the rage and half of my affiliates had one. Then they all died, and oekakis stopped being a trend, and people stopped asking me to make one, so I figured I didn't need it in the FAQ anymore.

Nonetheless, the point still stands that, in Zeta's words, an oekaki is an oekaki is an oekaki. As long as there is at least one general Pokémon-themed oekaki on the Internet, there is really no need for more of them. The primary function of oekakis is drawing, and you can draw on any oekaki; the only difference between two particular ones is which people will happen to post short little comment blurbs about it, and if you're particularly interested in receiving the people here's comments about your oekaki work, why not just draw them somewhere else and then repost them to the Fan Art forum? The end result is the same, barring the probably more detailed comments you'd be getting (and, I suppose, their inability to view the animation of how the drawing came to be if you happened to choose that option).

Since it's not an annoying trend anymore, I'd be all for it if I saw myself being able to make an oekaki that is actually unique somehow, that gives people some real incentive to use it over all the other ones that exist, but I'm really not sure how I would do that, particularly because I don't actually use oekakis and thus haven't really had the ability to notice much that needed bettering. Well, besides the inevitable elitist split into ordinary artists and "advanced" ones, but I doubt people would be attracted to my oekaki just because it wouldn't have such a split. And the fact the things are freaking impossible to draw on and I cannot possibly fathom why people would use them over Photoshop save for that neat little animation feature even if they do have tablets and find them at all easier to draw with than a mouse (I really don't o_O), but the only fix for that I can think of is making the oekaki a page that tells you to just go draw something in a paint program of your choice and then post it in the Fan Art forum, and then we're back where we started.

Well, I'd love see an oekaki, because a lot of members of TCoD seem to be interested in art. Many of the members seem exprienced at art, and it's be good to give pointers to one another. It'd be best if we would see the interest of the idea before jumping to creating it, or dismissing it.

Uh, with the agruement that there's only need for one Pokémon-themed oekaki, I really have to disagree. The community makes a lot of difference; it can detrimine over subject matter, the quality of art, the activity of the place, and many other things. Think about it if there was only one Pokémon forum in the entire interenet. There's a reason why there isn't, besides it being a fad. Not everyone agrees on the rules, others don't like the type of members, and the size of the community. That's very similiar to what the difference between oekakis are. I think members from TCoD are capable of leaving much more coherent comments than the common, "Thatz Cute!!!11!1," or a some annoying jarble of 'Japanese.' The comments I see from common threads ideas elsewhere are often not as well thought-out and writen as well as what I see from here.

Also a newer applet called ChibiPaint is much more advance compared to the older PaintBSS, Shipainter, and ShipainterPro. If you'd be interested I could show a screenshot of it, and its properties.

Uh, with the agruement that there's only need for one Pokémon-themed oekaki, I really have to disagree. The community makes a lot of difference; it can detrimine over subject matter, the quality of art, the activity of the place, and many other things. Think about it if there was only one Pokémon forum in the entire interenet. There's a reason why there isn't, besides it being a fad. Not everyone agrees on the rules, others don't like the type of members, and the size of the community. That's very similiar to what the difference between oekakis are. I think members from TCoD are capable of leaving much more coherent comments than the common, "Thatz Cute!!!11!1," or a some annoying jarble of 'Japanese.' The comments I see from common threads ideas elsewhere are often not as well thought-out and writen as well as what I see from here.
Ah, but the fundamental difference between forums and oekakis is that the primary function of forums is conversing with the community, and that is always different with every forum you go to since the community consists of different people. The primary function of oekakis, the drawing itself, on the other hand, is the same no matter which community happens to go to the particular oekaki the applet is hosted on, making the actual oekaki experience mostly the same from oekaki to oekaki even though there are superficial differences. Comments are also an important part of oekakis, but they are clearly a secondary function to the actual drawing, and moreover there is absolutely no discernible difference between commenting on art on an oekaki and commenting on art on a forum if the community consists of the same people other than what the system looks like, making the fan art forum easily a sufficient replacement for it.

I can make another comparison: Imagine there were only one online Pokédex on the Internet! ...wouldn't that be just fine, as long as it's a decent Pokédex? Any online Pokédex does the same thing in principle; having many of them is more a preference of aesthetic than anything else, barring where some contain more information than others (analogous to my comment about how if I could somehow make mine better than all the others, I'd be all for it).

An oekaki, being partly community-oriented, is somewhere in between, but the community aspects should in theory be identical to the Fan Art forum anyway, so what's the point when that exists?

Last edited:
.I think members from TCoD are capable of leaving much more coherent comments than the common, "Thatz Cute!!!11!1," or a some annoying jarble of 'Japanese.' The comments I see from common threads ideas elsewhere are often not as well thought-out and writen as well as what I see from here.

Hey, that could actually be an original sort of thing for a TCoD Oekaki. "Tired of gettting comments like "KAWAII TO SUGOI DESU NE!!!11one11eleven!?!!!neko!11" or "u suk"? Then come to The Cave of Dragonflies Oekaki, where we discuss artwork cheerfully and maturely whilist drinking tea and eating cod :D *confetti*" (Yeah, that's odd, but I can see that. Yeah. Just saying. Also confetti is totally a verb.

Well, the reason I removed the question from the FAQ is that they aren't really a trend anymore - trends come and go. At the time I wrote that FAQ answer (2005/6 or so), oekakis were all the rage and half of my affiliates had one. Then they all died, and oekakis stopped being a trend, and people stopped asking me to make one, so I figured I didn't need it in the FAQ anymore.

Nonetheless, the point still stands that, in Zeta's words, an oekaki is an oekaki is an oekaki. As long as there is at least one general Pokémon-themed oekaki on the Internet, there is really no need for more of them. The primary function of oekakis is drawing, and you can draw on any oekaki; the only difference between two particular ones is which people will happen to post short little comment blurbs about it, and if you're particularly interested in receiving the people here's comments about your oekaki work, why not just draw them somewhere else and then repost them to the Fan Art forum? The end result is the same, barring the probably more detailed comments you'd be getting (and, I suppose, their inability to view the animation of how the drawing came to be if you happened to choose that option).

Since it's not an annoying trend anymore, I'd be all for it if I saw myself being able to make an oekaki that is actually unique somehow, that gives people some real incentive to use it over all the other ones that exist, but I'm really not sure how I would do that, particularly because I don't actually use oekakis and thus haven't really had the ability to notice much that needed bettering. Well, besides the inevitable elitist split into ordinary artists and "advanced" ones, but I doubt people would be attracted to my oekaki just because it wouldn't have such a split. And the fact the things are freaking impossible to draw on and I cannot possibly fathom why people would use them over Photoshop save for that neat little animation feature even if they do have tablets and find them at all easier to draw with than a mouse (I really don't o_O), but the only fix for that I can think of is making the oekaki a page that tells you to just go draw something in a paint program of your choice and then post it in the Fan Art forum, and then we're back where we started.

Well... I generally need to disagree. And Oekaki is an Oekaki isn't an Oekaki. There's a reason I don't want to be at my previous one any more. It's a Pokemon Oekaki, it's fairly well managed by a group of admins not affiliated with the site admin directly. (Not that it matters, he's utterly disappeared.) But the community the site attracts... is less than desirable. And the affiliation with the site itself is as well. (I used to moderate the forums there, and saw deep into the corruption they have flying around. :/ ) I started coming here because of the community, the features, and etcetera - which is why I'd rather see an Oekaki here than find any other "General Pokemon Oekaki". I like my Tea and Cod? =P

In addition, the fanart forum simply.. isn't the same. First of all, anyone on an Oekaki is there for the art. You're MUCH more likely to get comments, and from those who know what they're doing, yes? In addition, discussions over a picture, "Edit the public picture" games, rants with visual aid, it's all fairly unique to Oekaki boards that forums can't replicate. It's a whole different feel and one I really don't think can be written off to a certain board.
In addition, I noticed there really isn't any level fo "Elitism" if you have the proper admins making the decisions. (Again.. TCoD community) and the artists with access to the pro board aren't hated for being elitists, they're respected for being exceptionally good with their work. And they all hang around the doodle board still for.. well, doodling and fiddling with the community. It's much easier to pick up a brush in ShiPainter and get a quick drawing in than getting Photoshop out, saving, uploading, posting on a forum and such.

And finally.. Well, some people are very, very proficient at the programs. I myself really enjoy the simplicity ShiPainter Pro maintains while still having the tools for some really good looking pictures. It just have a better feeling most of the time compared to other painting programs. I myself scribbled these on the doodle board. Meanwhile, some people are just bloody AMAZING with it. I don't think the ease of use should be -that- much a factor, some are perfectly able.

Those are just my arguments though..

Back
Top Bottom