• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Nintendo's E3 Conference

It's definitely a remake.

Which is good for me. I don't own an N64, our GC disk for it is damaged beyond repair (damn little siblings) and our Wii can't connect to our WiFi for some reason so I can't access the VC. Plus I tend to play portable games more often than console games. And that used to be my favorite game so :I

Ah well that's good. From the clip/screenshots that I have seen, the cell-shadedness brings out the colourfulness, which is good. Newer games tend to have boring colours like brown to make it more realistic, and that makes me like older games' graphics better even if they're more pixelly and have fewer polygons, simply because I like the colours better. So hopefully I'll like this one.

I don't own an N64 but I wish I did, just so I could play it how it's supposed to be played. Did you have the Master Quest or Collectors Edition GC disk? (I have both :B)

About a month or so ago I told a friend of mine that I'd picked up OoT a few days before, and she told me she didn't like older games because she preferred newer graphics. I was all :CCCCC

About a month or so ago I told a friend of mine that I'd picked up OoT a few days before, and she told me she didn't like older games because she preferred newer graphics. I was all :CCCCC

Tell her I said she's a square then :(

Old graphics are the shit. Especially when they're ghetto hand drawn sprites in KOF.

Ah well that's good. From the clip/screenshots that I have seen, the cell-shadedness brings out the colourfulness, which is good. Newer games tend to have boring colours like brown to make it more realistic, and that makes me like older games' graphics better even if they're more pixelly and have fewer polygons, simply because I like the colours better. So hopefully I'll like this one.

I don't own an N64 but I wish I did, just so I could play it how it's supposed to be played. Did you have the Master Quest or Collectors Edition GC disk? (I have both :B)
I do believe it had both the original and Master Quest on it. Can't remember which that'd be though.

But to be more on-topic, I, for once, am actually quite interested in the new Kirby game. :v

Yeah, but it isn't a bad thing. I really enjoyed Wind Waker's visual style. I'm actually getting a sort of Jet Set Radio almost feel from the visual style, and it looks nice.
It's okay... it looks a little wierd when blended in with the art style from TP.

Not really. The copy ability has always been more of a gimmick. When you're playing a platformer, the only real key factor involved is... Well, platforming. And as long as there aren't any bullshit jumps or anything of the like (Grr... Megaman X6 >O) for that artificial difficulty crap, platformers are for the most part good to go. Epic Yarn actually looks more like a more enjoyable Super Paper Mario. To me, at least.
...what Leafpool said. D: The copying abilities are what always made Kirby fun and unique, I don't think I'd like the game without them.

Because it makes perfect sense to pass judgment on something before you've even tried it, right? For the longest time I said the same about the PSP until I got my own a couple of years ago, and the PSP actually turned out to be a fairly decent system. Sure it needed a few more IPs than ports and rereleases, but it's a good system. It just gets better if you mod it :D
lolwut? I don't like it because I hate the idea of paying two to three hundred dollars for something I already have with updated 3D graphics, which to me is becoming completely stupid and contrived. I'll be forced to buy one sometime late in the game because they'll stop making games for the original DS, but I won't like it.

I do believe it had both the original and Master Quest on it. Can't remember which that'd be though.

Master Quest had trailers for games, and both the original OoT, and the edited game. The Collector's Edition was a multi-ISO comprised of Zelda, Zelda 2, OoT, Majora's Mask, and a Wind Waker demo of 20 minutes of the Dragon Roost Island dungeon. It also had a retrospective on the entire series, so that viewers may genuflect on how great the series really is.

Also, one gripe I still have about Zelda; right handed Link can go fuck himself.

THat's the only reason I've never touched the Wii version of Twilight Princess, except for other purposes... >.>

Just-just... Someone let me know when we're getting a new F-Zero already. GX is crap compared to X, and I want something cooler, and more difficult than X D:

I also still maintain that Nintendo should bug Silicon Knights for another Eternal Darkness, or at least one similar to it. Maybe make it a little scary this time?

Just wanna ask you guys, have any of you played Kirby's Dreamland? It is strictly platforming....and also happens to be one of my favorite games in the series. Kirby doesn't need to rely on copy abilities to be fun or unique, and the first game is a perfect showcase of that.

Also, I'd like to point out that Kirby is lacking his trademark inhaling and floating abilities in Epic Yarn, which again, have been removed before. Canvas Curse, anyone? And in Kirby 64, his fly time was restricted...so you get the picture.

Despite losing his inhale, Kirby's core gameplay(basically, what's been his gimmick since day one) is still there: grab your enemies and toss them at other enemies.

What makes Kirby so unique is his ability to be adapted to, well, any type of game due to his simplistic design. Just being made out of yarn allows them to take more advantage of this simple design.

Yarn Kirby is totally old school.

Oh I see, they're making skyward sword AND an OoT remake on the 3DS. I was thinking skyward sword WAS the remake. Was confused but I've seen the trailer now so whoo!

lolwut? I don't like it because I hate the idea of paying two to three hundred dollars for something I already have with updated 3D graphics, which to me is becoming completely stupid and contrived. I'll be forced to buy one sometime late in the game because they'll stop making games for the original DS, but I won't like it.

Well, it isn't just 3D, but if you've seen any of the photos of the Ocarina of Time remake, I think you'd know that it isn't just updated to be in three dimensions, it's also considerably more powerful on the graphics front. Moreso than the PSP.

I do like how the 3DS is taking a hint from the PSP though, and finally adding analog.

Also, I'd like to point out that Kirby is lacking his trademark inhaling and floating abilities in Epic Yarn, which again, have been removed before. Canvas Curse, anyone?

In Canvas Curse, Kirby still has the power to access anywhere in the platforming world, which is what I really meant by saying "Kirby doesn't play like a typical platformer". True, he's restricted by gravity and the fact that you can only move him around using lines drawn by the stylus (and there's a limit on said lines), but if you use the stylus well enough you can get him anywhere in the stage without a problem; the same can't be said of any other platformer. :/

The 3DS isn't the fourth iteration of the Nintendo DS with a few extras. It's a completely new handheld system, much like what the GBA was to the GB - similar name, different console. That's like saying you won't buy the Wii because it's just a GameCube with better graphics.

And of COURSE they will make games for the 3DS - if they kept making games for old consoles to keep the likes of you happy, nobody would buy the new consoles in the first place and there would be no point in making them. And evolution would never occur!

Now, you naturally don't have to buy the 3DS if you don't want to, but as you said, that will limit your experiences in new games.

In Canvas Curse, Kirby still has the power to access anywhere in the platforming world, which is what I really meant by saying "Kirby doesn't play like a typical platformer". True, he's restricted by gravity and the fact that you can only move him around using lines drawn by the stylus (and there's a limit on said lines), but if you use the stylus well enough you can get him anywhere in the stage without a problem; the same can't be said of any other platformer. :/

It's still the same thing really. In another platformer, like say... I'll use Megaman Zero here, for its "extreme" difficulty. You can say the exact same thing about Megaman Zero. Sure, Zero's restricted by gravity himself, and the fact that he takes tons of damage if he takes a hit, but if you use the dash, wall kicks, and Z-Saber well enough, you can easily blow through any of the stages in less than 3 minutes without taking a single hit, and average an S-Rank on the entire game with 100 points in a matter of an hour and a half.

It really all boils down to the same concept with all platformers, just that whatever gimmicks the game gives is just there to mix up the formula bit, and maybe even add a little bit of artificial difficulty.

Back
Top Bottom