• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Games that have evoked emotional response.

Actually... I can't think of any games that evoked a real emotional response. At least, not on the level of other things like movies, anime, and visual novels. Well, visual novels are games, since we've already got someone mentioning Ace Attourney. Saya no Uta and Wanko to Kurasou evoked the best emotional responses in that case.

Of course, not a lot of games I've played recently have emotional storylines. Or storylines at all. Yep, I'd estimate a half to two-thirds of the games I play nowadays don't have storylines...

Actually... I can't think of any games that evoked a real emotional response. At least, not on the level of other things like movies, anime, and visual novels. Well, visual novels are games, since we've already got someone mentioning Ace Attourney. Saya no Uta and Wanko to Kurasou evoked the best emotional responses in that case.

Why wouldn't they be games? D:

Akiha's route in Tsukihime is pretty depressing though. considering that there's no happy ending to be seen. It's pretty much a punch in the face to to those fans, even if it isn't actually incestuous.

Oh, and the lack of a Sacchin route in Tsukihime.

Zero 3: Forgive me, but I am a massive X fangirl. Just... Everything about his death made me sad for an entire day. And hell, his life too.

But it was largely underwhelming after that fucking awesome twist and final battle D:

That made everyone laugh. That's why we listen to Lucas Gilbertson's fandub. You know, for those moments when Ryotaro Okiayu's is too sexy for the listener at that moment.

Chrono Trigger... Many scenes with Magus and also Death Peak.

lol the Death Peak scene just makes me go "FUCK. THERE GOES MY BACKBONE. NOW I CAN'T DESTROY EVERYTHING TOGETHER WITH AYLA"

Now Digital Devil Saga 2 on the other hand, I raged and cried when I found out Heat, Serph's most trusted and closest friend, betrayed Embryon. I did the same when Serph got killed not even halfway through, mostly because my backbone was gone for a chunk of the game. And also losing Roland. But only if I take the time to choose the right answers in the first game as well.

I cried at the end of Xenosaga episode 3 as well. But mostly because it was a premature end to the series D:

Why wouldn't they be games? D:

Many of them feel more like pseudo-games. I mean, a fair number really are just pressing enter. Over and over again. That's not a bad thing though, it doesn't detract from my experience, they just don't feel quite like games to me, you know? I dunno, I class them separately.

And good on you for bringing up Tsukihime. It reminds me I need to finish Fate/stay Night. I would've, but instead I decided to start playing Cross Channel...

I also watched an LP of Twilight Princess even though I don't have the game myself. Most of the stuff with Midna got me, especially towards the end. I mean, first she gets blasted by Lanayru and starts dying. Then in the battle with Ganondorf she tries to protect Zelda, but fails. And then after Ganon, she tries to take him by herself, and Ganondorf rears up on his horse and breaks her helmet, which is a really sickening moment. After the final battle, you see something stand up on the hill and it turns around to be a really pretty, exotic-looking lady, and you realize "Holy crap that's Midna." And then she goes and breaks the Mirror of Twilight and cries while doing it (unless that was some ball of power that came from her eye or something).

This. <3 There were a few other things in that game that got me, but I haven't played it in a while and what shadow_lugia posted were the main ones, so I don't really remember what the other ones were. Probably something with Ilia losing her memory, although that ended well.

I was also quite emotionally caught up in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. Mostly the end, because
everything the Prince and Farah had been through together never happened, but the Prince remembered everything that had happened and still loved her but she didn't even know who he was arghh ;_; And I so wanted to hear what his name was.
I want to see the movie, too; I wonder how it compares to the game.

But the game that comes most to mind when I think of a game that evokes an emotional response is Drakengard for Playstation 2. I've hardly played it, but from what I have seen, especially right in the beginning when Caim loses his voice after making a pact with Angelus, I have no doubt that the whole thing would be one emotional rollercoaster. I've seen some of the endings and they were emotional enough without me knowing much about the characters; someday I hope to play through the whole game and experience it.

But the game that comes most to mind when I think of a game that evokes an emotional response is Drakengard for Playstation 2. I've hardly played it, but from what I have seen, especially right in the beginning when Caim loses his voice after making a pact with Angelus, I have no doubt that the whole thing would be one emotional rollercoaster. I've seen some of the endings and they were emotional enough without me knowing much about the characters; someday I hope to play through the whole game and experience it.

The entire game of Drakengard is freaking depressing. There isn't a single good ending to the game! Not one! All of them have to leave a bad taste, or something to that extent! The worst ones were definitely when Angelus decides to become the seal in Furiae's place, leaving both Caim, and the player heartbroken, given that they had the entire game to get to know her, and become attached to her (The canon ending), then when Inuart goes all super douche and turns Furiae into a monster.

Then of course, my least favorite one, when Angelus became the Chaos Dragon after Manah was killed; she and Caim's pact is broken because of the transformation, and even though Angelus has great respect and love for Caim, feels she has to kill him, else humanity would become extinct. So you end up having to fight her.

Oh yeah, and then there's the one when all the Grotesqueries start falling out of the sky.

All the stories involving the other characters, Seere, Leonard, and Arioch were all pretty depressing too...

The only ending in Drakengard that wasn't really too depressing in particular is when Caim and Angelus cross dimensions to battle the Grotesqueries, but they somehow end up in modern day Tokyo, and they get shot down by a fighter pilot. This one apparently leads up to the events of Nier, and it wasn't particularly depressing, or a tear jerker, but more of a "What the fuck?"

Persona 3 really had its moments. I know this has been mentioned before, but the part
after Shinji's death - that is, Akihiko's Persona-evolving scene - was incredible. To see Akihiko sob and literally pound at the table in grief - repeatedly, may I add - was quite the emotion evoker. And that isn't even mentioning the voice acting.

Also, I find the ending of Persona 3 to be rather bittersweet, even though I actually haven't finished the game (been spoiler'd, so what). Bitter because, of course,
the main character dies
; sweet because he clung onto life until what, the end of March, was it? Just to keep his promise to his friends. And he died with a smile on his face.

Also, PMD. I nearly cried during both games' endings. It was the music that really sealed the deal.

The World Ends With You, as well. The suffering Neku goes through when he starts blaming himself for Joshua's Erasure, by itself, wasn't overly heart-jerking. Then Joshua comes back, betrays Neku like woah (still smirking the whole time), and tells Neku to shoot him. And after all Joshua's put him through, Neku still can't help but see him as a friend. The fact that Joshua was the first friend Neku could actually relate to makes it worse.

There's probably more, but I'm too lazy to think.

And I have a feeling that my avatar is not very fitting for this post.

The Ace Attorney games are the best in getting me emotional. Though I never really cry or anything because of games, the bad ending in Justice For All kind of made me shed a tear (I think the good one did too). Edgeworth in the first game, do I need to say more? Poor Edgey :C
Also oh god in Trials and Tribulations; the sad music (The Bitter Taste of Truth) in the last case when Godot tells his sad story adghsj I think I shed a couple of tears right there.

The endings of the second-to-last stages and the beginnings of the final stages in Elite Beat Agents and Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2 also make me a bit emotional, in EBA the agents just standing there petrified, and in Ouendan the Cheer Squad members saving the others and getting struck by that ice block and the others cheering them back with those manly tears running down their faces C':

Surprisingly, I felt really bad in the end of GTA: Chinatown Wars. The ones who've played will probably know what I mean.

Hotel Dusk also triggered some different kind of emotions; Kyle's honest smile (not the "ha-ha that's bullshit" smirk) kind of made me feel really happy for some reason. Maybe it's because his character is so real in a way? I don't know, it's really cute anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom