• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggestions Scratch Sprite Gallery

Superbird

Fire emblem is great
Well, I have a lot of stuff lying around, and I figured this would be the place to dump it. Basically, all the scratch sprites I've made, by request or by idea, will be showcased here. Additionally, I'm always asking for suggestions, and if anyone wants a new scratch sprite created for him/herself (possibly with a dex entry), then check out the Scratch Sprite Shop (in sig). Like everyone else, I give anyone permission to use these, as long as I'm given notice before said action. All sprites will be accompanied with a short spiel about them. If anyone wants to also see various Pokedex entries for said scratch sprites, just say so. So, now that that speech is over, Enjoy--Criticism is encouraged!

YouTube Examples
Start Here

Stand-Alones
Flatile
1zwki83.png

My first ever scratch sprite, and also the least original. I mean, the idea is original, I think (a fish with fire fins that don't get suffocated by water--Cool!), but the sprite was stolen from Lanturn. I'm pretty sure you can see how.Anyway, I also classify this one as one of my best sprites, even though it was my first. Sadly, only 3 of the sprites in my first phase of spriting look decent in by opinion. Whatever. (Dex Entry Available)

Sifirce
153upno.png

Season 1, number 2. This thing lives in volcanoes, and it can freeze lava. Its body is made of heatproof ice (nevermeltice, I guess). I personally liked how this one came out. It has gone through many revamps over the years, but now I think it looks fine. (Dex Entry Available)

Gifiss
90tysl.png

Season 1, number 3. I loved the idea here. A little green grass ball with a torch as a head and a flaming (and huge) piece of grass. Literally, its dex entry reads "They are the most common cause of forest fires". Hee-larious. Anyway, I can't seem to make this thing not look awkward in some way, especially the blade of grass and the hands. Suggestions appreciated.

Espith
eafpfn.png

Season 1, number 4, and the third of the season 1 good sprites, IMO. The original idea was formulated by me and my friend Penguintopia123 when we were talking about Luigi acting an Earth Spirit in Paper Mario TTYD. I decided to make an earth spirit pokemon, and Pikmin seemed to be an excellent model. Just for fun it gets a yin-yang personality, and for even more fun I made it evolve from dead Diglett. :P

Ischroose
259hovs.png

Season 1, number 5. It came out decent, but I'm just too lazy to put a border around the stem. I feel like it'll get a bit better if I do that. Anyway, Ischroose is a mushroom pokemon that can survive in dry, cold temperatures. It is also the first bearer of an ability I created: Deep Roots, which keeps a pokemon from being forced out of battle.

Phidolf
2h5tjcn.png

Season 2. I created this one recently, and it is my first "generic" pokemon so far. Nothing special. Anyway, ever since imagining a "Who's that pokemon" shadow on the first season of the Anime, I haven't been able to achieve success with it until very recently, and I think it's decent. Fun fact: Its original name was Dolfino.

Doflatto
11awlex.jpg

Started as a flounder, ended as what I call a flatfish. In case the lack of real dimension isn't obvious, it swims like an eel. I must say, I wasn't terribly fond of this one. Unfortunately, I don't really see any way to improve it without scrapping it, and my friend thinks it's decent. Does it actually look like a tootsie roll?

Zorpakae
wc1mys.png

Somewhat generic, but I like it. You may notice that it looks a little tired. It is--Its special attack (from which it runs) is dirt. Its defense, however, is equal to Skarmory. The catch: Its ability saps Special Attack from the opponent by one level, but gives the opponent physical defense. Its attack is nothing special, and its special defense is pretty decent (95 base, maybe). For the first few turns of the battle, its best strategy is to guard, but then it becomes amazing at killing things.

Drastoa
919evo.png

Requested in the Scratch Sprite Shop by Cryptica. You could call this one either Season 1, number 7 or season 2, number 1. I tried out a few new techniques on it and it came out very nice, in my opinion. I just need to recolor some of the borders. Additionally, Cryptica has all the information about the thing, so ask her and not me.

Kirachu
2wn1gmt.png

Requested by Czarina Farwell in the Scratch Sprite Shop. Yay, a pseudo-clone of Jirachi! Or at least that's what I thought when I was commissioned to make it. I don't think it came out too well, but Ms. Farwell seemed to be satisfies. So I guess it's okay.

Fitaru
4l38mr.png

Requested by Impossible in the Scratch Sprite Shop. Who, may I add, hasn't picked it up yet...Whatever. I think this is my best sprite yet, and I really thank Impossible for the idea. I also tried out several new spriting techniques on it. I love how it came out, and plan to use the same tactics on other future sprites.

Artiguin
29gicr4.png

Requested by Brock at the Scratch Sprite Shop. I have fallen in love with this one. Its wings of NeverMeltIce taught me that I can improvise on those things and get decent outcomes. About the shading: After seeing other peoples' shading, I decided that my new checkerboard style was bad. This is the result.

Psychrise
dr5weu.png

Requested by Teacher9985 at the Scratch Sprite Shop. It's an ice squirrel. I like the idea, and I also like the result. This little guy has so much psychic power packed inside that little body of his, he glows. See it? Anyway, it is also very good at levitating its enemies. Therefore, it's signature move involves scaring the **** out of enemies, or flinching them, or something...by levitating them. Anyway, what do you think?

Poidouma
30xdfgm.png

Requested by Zackrinian at the Scratch Sprite Shop. A poison Hydra. Honestly, the hardest part was finding a pose for all the heads. Sorry if the eyes are a bit hard to see; I didn't really have enough space to expand them. So, a Hydra, for those of you who don't know, is a seven-headed beast mentioned in legends, slain by Hercules. Apparently, for every head that got cut off, two more grew back. Don't ask me how that works if it's supposed to always have seven heads. Anyway, Zackrinian has more information on this interesting creature, being its technical creator, so go there for more information.

Evolution Chains

Luvirsis
2ik7ia9.png

An inspiration (and entry) for the only TCoD:WSC I've participated in so far. Meant to be a Luvdisc evolution, I really like its quality, but the Idea not so much. I think I did a good job on it, but that it needs a more imaginative concept to work with.

Dreel-->Dakreel-->Dreelak
otqcua.png
--->
2j1tw7l.png
--->
6tfs4l.png

The water-type chain of my scratch starter triangle. Dakreel and Dreelak are both Water/Dark-type. I know they look similar, and that the shading could be better, and when I decide to stop being lazy and deal with that, I will. Dreel, on the other hand, I really like. Simple and well-made.

Frayse-->Fraysera-->Frysrae
el3e40.png
--->
98641v.png
--->
35l59gn.png

Like the Dreel line, the final evolution was thought of first. Fraysera and Frysrae are both Fire/Psychic-type. One reason I like this is because its typing is unique. Another reason is that I like the design. BTW, if you're wondering about the differences between Fraysera and Frysrae, Fraysera doesn't have an eye on its forehead and is a bit smaller. Also, I used a checkerboard technique on Frysrae's robe.

Tharq-->Hyraq-->Hyranas
2n7h4w9.png
--->
2yx3rck.png
--->
199vd5.png

All of the sprites in this section are season 2 or higher. Except Hyranas. I had the original idea around the same time as Gifiss. Back then it looked much worse than it does now--It has been completely redrawn in a newer style since it was created. Anyway, I had the idea of making that Grass/Dragon-type part of a starter line, developed the cute Tharq, and put two heads in between (1-->2-->3). Just like Donuo-->Doduo-->Dodrio.
Fun Fact! If Tharq is male, it will evolve into Hyraq. If female, it will evolve into the below. Tharq's gender ratios are 50%, despite being a starter.

Tharq-->Thorqe-->Thorquen
2n7h4w9.png
--->
2zxpj00.png
--->
2mfm3qu.png

If Tharq is female, it will evolve into Thorque instead of Hyraq. Gee, these starters' second stages are all miniature versions of the third-stages, aren't they! Yeah, yeah, I'm being unoriginal, but hey! I ran out of ideas. About the SPRITES now: Unlike the Hyraq line, Thorqe and Thorquen are Grass/Fighting-type. They are thorny, and one of their possible abilities is Rough Skin, for lack of me thinking of a clone. I like Thorquen's idea, but the execution is very sub-par, IMO. Same with Thorqe. Oh well.

More to come whenever I create more. C&C is encouraged, and ideas are always welcome!

Next project: undecided.

Last edited:
Update!

Doflatto
11awlex.jpg

Started as a flounder, ended as what I call a flatfish. In case the lack of real dimension isn't obvious, it swims like an eel. I must say, I wasn't terribly fond of this one. Unfortunately, I don't really see any way to improve it without scrapping it, and my friend thinks it's decent. Does it actually look like a tootsie roll?

The quality seems generally good, but I have a couple of criticisms.

In quite a few sprites you seem to have used all-black outlines. The outlines are also pretty shaky... Also on your starter lines, they really don't seem to change much with evolution. the water types just look a bit angrier with each stage, the fire types seem to only have tiny details added, and the grass ones just, uh, either get a single other snake-head or grow little spikes. I'd advise putting a little more difference in than this!

But some of them are pretty nice - I rather like the design of Luvirsis, for example.

Which ones? If you look closely at most of them, you can see that the outline is not black, nut a very dark color. Like the following:

Zorpakae
wc1mys.png

Somewhat generic, but I like it. You may notice that it looks a little tired. It is--Its special attack (from which it runs) is dirt. Its defense, however, is equal to Skarmory. The catch: Its ability saps Special Attack from the opponent by one level, but gives the opponent physical defense. Its attack is nothing special, and its special defense is pretty decent (95 base, maybe). For the first few turns of the battle, its best strategy is to guard, but then it becomes amazing at killing things.

Another update!

Artiguin
29gicr4.png

Requested by Brock at the Scratch Sprite Shop. I have fallen in love with this one. Its wings of NeverMeltIce taught me that I can improvise on those things and get decent outcomes. About the shading: After seeing other peoples' shading, I decided that my new checkerboard style was bad. This is the result.

One more! No responses? I actually would enjoy notices on my faults in these things.

Psychrise
dr5weu.png

Requested by Teacher9985 at the Scratch Sprite Shop. It's an ice squirrel. I like the idea, and I also like the result. This little guy has so much psychic power packed inside that little body of his, he glows. See it? Anyway, it is also very good at levitating its enemies. Therefore, it's signature move involves scaring the **** out of enemies, or flinching them, or something...by levitating them. Anyway, what do you think?

EDIT: And another.

Poidouma
30xdfgm.png

Requested by Zackrinian at the Scratch Sprite Shop. A poison Hydra. Honestly, the hardest part was finding a pose for all the heads. Sorry if the eyes are a bit hard to see; I didn't really have enough space to expand them. So, a Hydra, for those of you who don't know, is a seven-headed beast mentioned in legends, slain by Hercules. Apparently, for every head that got cut off, two more grew back. Don't ask me how that works if it's supposed to always have seven heads. Anyway, Zackrinian has more information on this interesting creature, being its technical creator, so go there for more information.

EDIT EDIT: One more.
Psygon
ejtzb5.png

Requested by Magnemite at the Scratch Sprite Shop. Everything in this request was good and descriptive. Except the design. I had a tough time figuring out how to design this one. Anyway, it is very rare, lives in caves, and uses its psychic powers to hide itself in said caves. FYI, it's Psychic/Dragon-type. Apparently, it only reveals itself to people who it sees worthy. What is it, a legendary or something? Ask forum user Magnemite.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom