• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Top 10 Favorite Video Games

Vipera Magnifica

Aquatic Artiste
Pronoun
he/him
Sorry if threads like these have been done to death but I've given this considerable thought and I am interested to see everyone's favorites. A top 5 is fine if you can't think of 10.

My list:

10. Cave Story (2004) - This game is the most fun 2D platformer I've ever had a chance to play. It perfectly captures the spirit of retro gaming, and when you consider that this game was made by one person over the course of five years, it is quite impressive.

9. Super Mario Galaxy (2007) - I truly love the level design in this game. It is definitely one of the prettiest games for the Wii, and the soundtrack is wonderful. While I'm very nostalgic for Super Mario 64, I believe Galaxy is a much better game.

8. Team Fortress 2 (2007) - I wouldn't normally put online multiplayer games on this list, but considering I've clocked in around 500 hours in TF2, the game must be doing something right. This game is really fun, and contains much of the humor that makes Valve games great. The game is updated relatively frequently as well, so there is always something new to do.

7. Kid Icarus - Uprising (2012) - This is my favorite game for the 3DS. The gameplay is quite unique, and the story contains loads of great dialogue between the characters. The multiplayer mode is also immensely fun. I recommend it for anyone who owns a 3DS.

6. The Simpsons: Hit & Run (2003) - If you were a fan of The Simpsons, then this was pretty much the best thing ever. It had an open world that you could walk and drive around, much like Grand Theft Auto, but it was set in Springfield, and featured all the characters of The Simpsons. It is still one of the most entertaining games I've ever played.

5. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (2000) - As much as I love Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask just has the best mood of any game I've ever played. Everything - the frightening moon, the scared townspeople, the eerie soundtrack - gave the game a chilling apocalyptic atmosphere that made the game unique. Though few, the dungeons were some of the most well-designed in any Zelda game, and the sidequests didn't feel tedious or pointless. The unique 3-day system and the transformation masks were also great additions, and another one of the reasons this is my favorite Zelda game.

4. Portal 2 (2011) - I love puzzle platformers, and Portal 2 is the essential puzzle platformer game. While the original Portal was amazing as well, Portal 2 took everything that made the first game great and expanded and improved upon it. Portal 2 is much longer than Portal, and also contains a great co-op mode.This game is outright hilarious, and contains so many great quotes from the characters. This game is one of the best video game experiences I've had in quite some time.

3. Metal Gear Solid (1998) - I got myself into this franchise fairly recently, and although the subsequent games are great, I still feel that there is something about MGS1 that makes it superior. The voice acting and characters are fantastic, and the boss fights are some of the most memorable in any game. The story itself is great, and contains a few very emotional moments. Also the rampant fourth-wall-breaking (especially in the Psycho Mantis fight) really showcases Hideo Kojima's bizarre sense of humor. While the PS1 graphics may look a bit outdated today, this game is still an indisputable classic.

2. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (2001) - I flat out love this game. If you put me on a deserted island with nothing but this game... I probably wouldn't leave. Having replayed it recently, I'll admit that the story and voice acting are hella cheesy, but the gameplay still held up to my expectations. This game is loads of fun, and also has some pretty fun multiplayer games. There was also the Chao Garden. Oh my god, the Chao Garden. This was by far the most adorable thing ever. Raising those cute little chao is like a full game in itself. I definitely have many fantastic memories of this game.

1. Pokémon Yellow (1999) - My placement of this at number one shouldn't be all that surprising. It would feel wrong to put this game in any place but number one. From a purely objective standpoint, subsequent games largely improved on the Pokémon formula, but not a single game comes even remotely close to having the level of impact on my life as Pokémon Yellow. This was not only my first Pokémon game, but one of my first games ever.* For many years, Pokémon Yellow defined me as a person. If it hadn't been for this game, I would no doubt be a very different individual.

*It was actually the second game I ever owned, the first being Game & Watch Gallery 2 for the Game Boy Color. I left this on a plane, along with my Game Boy and didn't get a new one until a few months later. I had numerous CD-ROM games around this time, but there is no way for me to know exactly which came first.

I'm opting not to include honorable mentions because then there would be no end to my list.

/Shamelessly steals VM's exact format
10. Yoshi's Story (1998) - This was my very first game. If you've played it, you know it's a relatively simple and yet challenging sort of game. All-in-all, though, it's really cute and fun! I had a lot of fun with it and it will always have a special place in my heart.

9. Rayman 2: The Great Escape (1999) - I don't think many people share in this opinion, but this was another one of the first games I ever played, and it was actually surprisingly fun! I've always been a fan of the Rayman series, but this one in particular was pretty interesting and difficult (at least, from eight-year-old me's standpoint), and it seemed to drag on forever. I also really liked the characters! Globox is just awesome.

8. Mike Tyson's Punchout (1987) - Okay, so admittedly this is sort of a weird one. But, despite how simple the game really is in essence, this game is really hard. It's certainly beatable, but in a world where a lot of video games are basically engineered to help you win, this game is difficult beyond what most people are used to. It doesn't give you any hints; you just have to try over and over until you actually get it. You figure it out yourself. There's something sort of nice about that.

7. Super Mario Galaxy (2007) - This was a pretty great game. My first Mario game was Super Mario 64, and like VM, I'll always like this one for those nostalgia feels, but not only did Galaxy share in many of 64's charming elements, it was just a huge game; I haven't beat it to date, and that's not to say I haven't tried. A lot. This game is just really fun and surprisingly challenging for a Mario game. Just two days ago I picked it back up for the first time in quite some time, and I found that it really is hard! I only got one new star and I played for two hours. There's something to be said about that.

6. Spore (2008) - This game is just really, really fun. I have spent hours on this god-forsaken game, and I don't regret any of it! I don't think it gets enough love, really; I still play it pretty frequently. I like to consider myself a creative person, and this game really lets me be just that. Even better than the actual campaign (which is surprisingly good, albeit it lacks an actual plot) is just making things. It's a good game, I would recommend it for anyone that's looking for a good game for cheap!

5. Insaniquarium (2004) - Okay, yeah, this one is sort of weird too. The thing about my game taste is that I like games that are simple in concept, but complex and difficult in actual gameplay. Insaniquarium is just that. The basis of it, if you're like most people and haven't played it, is that you feed fish. Fish drop money. The bigger the fish, the more valuable money they drop. You use the money to buy a piece of an egg; you buy thee pieces to complete an egg, and consequently the level. This egg hatches into a pet, which is a little assistant-type thing that helps you in the game and requires no feeding. You also have to fight aliens. In theory, it seems pretty simple, but it gets really, really hard. I can't tell you how long I've wasted away at this stupid game.

4. Minecraft (2011) - Minecraft. Enough said.

3. Pokémon Soul Silver (2010) - My first ever Pokémon game. Soul Silver was an amazing remake (the best!), the character art was beautiful, and the map was brilliantly done. The plot was great, and it was basically the best experience for a first Pokémon game I could ask for. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011) - I tried to abstain from mentioning games I haven't completed (hence all the other Zelda games being missing from this list), but this one is just too great not to mention. From what I've done so far, this game is excellent in appearance and mechanics; and the actual swinging of the sword is just awesome.

1. Pokémon X (2013) - Okay. This was sort of predictable. I just haven't been able to put this bloody game down since I got it! The new mechanics they've introduced are just amazing, and the models are great. I also love the new art for all the Trainer classes. I will miss the sprites, but I like the models more than I liked them. The plot rivaled the plot of Black and White, and the Gyms were amazing. Admittedly it was lacking in a few departments, but the end... hit a bull's eye right in the lousy goddamn stupid feels.

-Scribblenauts Unlimited
-Pokémon Black and White
-Pokémon Black and White 2
-New Super Mario Bros. 2
-Super Smash Bros. Brawl
-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
-The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
-Rayman Origins
-Rayman Legends

1. Fallout: New Vegas
  2. Batman: Arkham Asylum
  3. Bioshock
  4. Katawa Shoujo
  5. Portal 2
  6. Thomas Was Alone
  7. Spec Ops: The Line
  8. Dishonored
  9. Batman: Arkham City

Lazy, so just a list.

10. Game Dev Tycoon (2012)

9. BioShock Infinite (2013)

8. Fire Emblem Awakening (2013)

7. Prison Architect (Alpha)

6. Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty (2010)

5. Garry's Mod (2004)

4. Minecraft (2011)

3. Team Fortress 2 (2007)

2. The Sims 3 (2009)

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011)

-Starbound
-Kerbal Space Program
-Pokemon Ruby
-Pokemon Soul Silver
-Spore
-Super Smash Brothers: Brawl
-Star Wars Battlefront II
-FTL: Faster Than Light
-Terraria

1) Pokemon White
2) Spyro: Year of the Dragon
3) The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
4) Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call
5) Sonic Adventure DX
6) Persona 4
7) Pokemon Platinum
8) Pokemon White 2
9) Pokemon X
10) Ghost Trick

tried to keep it to one game per series but couldn't only have one pokemon game in there.

I'll keep it one game per series. Also too lazy to look up the years.

10) The Sims
I like games where you make your own fun. I lost so many hours into this game. I like how the stuff that came with expansion packs weren't necessary if you didn't want to use them. The expansion packs were also good because they were actually expansions. Unlike today where DLC is either something that was originally planned for the game but taken out to sell separately or just a few maps/guns that don't add anything. The music is catchy, too.

9) Roller Coaster Tycoon 2
I like this for the same reason I like The Sims. You make your own fun. You can play it seriously or you can mess around with the people in-game to your heart's content.

8) Assassin's Creed 2
The other Assassin's Creed games seem to have a tendency to have pointless gameplay mechanics added in, like the bomb crafting and tower defense in Revelations. Plus Florence and Venice are really pretty, unlike the locations in the other games that are more dark and grotty. I like bright colours. Plus the music!

7) Batman Arkham Asylum (Haven't played the sequels yet)
It's just feels fun. I don't read Batman comics and the films aren't that good but I definitely feel really enthusiastic about this game.

6) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
I've only played through this once but it definitely deserves a mention. Good characters and story. And the best part is, despite it having a plot twist that you'd think you'd have spoiled before you even know what's it's about, I didn't. Unlike The Empire Strikes Back, Final Fantasy 7, Citizen Kane, Harry Potter 6 etc.

5) Minecraft
There's not much to say here. It's addictive and you make your own fun. I still haven't finished that Statue of Liberty I was making though. Or the Kanto. Or the Village. Or the mine that actually looks like an irl mine.

4) The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Deciding which is my favourite Zelda is difficult. They largely build upon what the previous ones got right, so it's unfair to ignore older ones just because the newer ones do what they did and more. It's very close between WW, OoT and MM. Also I think WW has some of the best music.

3) Gen 5 Pokémon (Can't decide whether I like BW or BW2 better)
Gen 5 is definitely my favourite. Finally something overtook gen 2. Everything about it is amazing. The evil team isn't just insane, it actually has a story and motivation behind it. Team Plasma are the only good evil team since Team Rocket. To expand on that, the story didn't feel like it was just an excuse to let the version mascot legendaries have some sort of role. The music in gen 5 is some of the catchiest and most exciting. A large proportion of the characters introduced are likable and memorable, unlike other gens when I catch myself thinking "Roark? Who was that again?" Also the not-stupid Pokémon it introduced didn't have ugly designs.

2) Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
It's a game about a cute anime girl who opens a shop so she can pay off a loan. Why do I love it so much? I just don't know. The characters are fun, and the gameplay is nice and addictive. The music is nice too.

1) Deus Ex (The original)
It's quite old. The graphics are definitely dated and I'm pretty sure they were ugly ish for when it came out (2000), plus the voice acting is pretty poor. But wow I only played it for the first time about a year ago and it has amazing gameplay. Involved story and interesting that explains why the gameplay mechanics exist in a believable way. The creators thought of everything - most of the time if you come across a boss you can just run straight past them. Unlike Human Revolution where you're forced to kill (not just pacify) the bosses. And you actually know who the boss characters are and what their motivations are. You can go through the entire game without killing anyone (there's one boss you supposed to kill at some point but there's a glitch that lets you get past her). And you're given tonnes of choice. Depending on what skills and abilities you're playing with, you can play the game your way. Also the music is amazing.

6. The Simpsons: Hit & Run (2003)
Yes

3. Pokémon Soul Silver (2010)
I find it funny how Red, Ruby, Diamond, Black, Black 2, and X are usually the more popular ones, but when it comes to the Johto games, Silver is by far more popular. Even I think so!

[*]Katawa Shoujo
I intend to play through this in the coming months.

10) Fortune Street (2011)

It may be gimmicky as hell, but once you get into it, it's just awesome, especially in multiplayer mode.

9) Fire Emblem Awakening (2013)

The possibilities are endless. You can play the game ten times, beat the game in a different manner every time, and still enjoy it just as much as the previous time.

8) Mario Party 3 (2001)

Who doesn't love Mario Party? I picked this one because it's the one I've played the most.

7) PES 2014 (2013)

I'm in the minority here, but for me, PES > FIFA, and Konami's latest is their best yet. Also, team customization for the win! (TCoD-themed teams, fandom-specific teams, etc.)

6) Pokémon Emerald (2005)

The Battle Frontier changed the series forever, and the storyline was vastly improved from Ruby and Sapphire.

5) The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (2006)

A real classic (even though it was only released eight years ago). A massive improvement upon Morrowind, and extremely immersive. The only reason it isn't higher on my list is the steep degree of difficulty.

4) NBA 2K14 (2013)

Best sports video game right now. I picked this over PES 2014 because, while it also has customizable teams, it also has better graphics, commentary, and career mode.

3) Pokémon Platinum (2009)

Best Pokémon game to date. Gen 4 was Pokémon's finest, in my opinion (yay for the physical/special split!), and this one topped even Diamond and Pearl.

2) The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim (2011)

What can be said about this game that hasn't already been said? I'll try to add something: Best. RPG. Ever.

1) Dota 2 (2013)

If you know me well enough, this being my #1 game won't surprise you one bit. (Also, Dota > League. :P)

10. Pokemon Emerald
9. Touhou 09 - Phantasmagoria of Flower View
8. Kid Icarus Uprising
7. MOTHER 3
6. The World Ends with You
5. Skullgirls
4. Jet Set Radio
3. Psychonauts
2. Grim Fandango
1. Megaman Legends

Honorable Mentions: Super Paper Mario, Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse, Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan, Drill Dozer, Brutal Legend

Last edited:
I'll do a top 10, only one entry per franchise.

10. Spore (2008)
9. Donkey Kong 64 (1999)
8. Super Mario Bros. (1985)
7. Zoo Tycoon 2 (2004)
6. Digimon Rumble Arena (2001)
5. Kingdom Hearts II (2006)
4. Final Fantasy VII (1997)
3. Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
2. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (2002)
1. Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver (2010)

Here's why for each one.

10. I really liked creating all sorts of random things and posting them online. Too bad EA no longer really gives a damn about it. I wanted a sequel! ;_;
9. This was my childhood in a nutshell. I never was able to get all the blueprints and beat King K. Rool, though.
8. It's a classic, and the very first video game I ever played.
7. It lets your imagination run wild (no pun intended), and I installed craploads of mods so I never get bored with it!
6. Other than the Super Smash Bros. Series, this was my first fighter-genre game. So much nostalgia...
5. It had all of my favorite worlds overall in the Kingdom Hearts series. Also.. Mansex.. Err.. I mean Xemnas!
4. If it wasn't for this game, I would've never gotten into Kingdom Hearts. I liked Cait Sith, Red XIII, and Barrett best.
3. I liked the N64 version, but this one improved the graphics and OST.
2. The Chao Garden was my favorite side... thing.. in any video game ever! Plus, the main game's plot was EPIC!
1. Allowed me to relive my tween years as a young adult. When they announced it, manly tears of joy were shed.

Honorable mentions go to Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Crash Bandicoot Warped, Spyro: Year of the Dragon, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Banjo-Kazooie, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Dinosaur King, and The Simpsons: Road Rage!

For me, keeping each series to one entry, I suppose it would go something like...

10: Thomas Was Alone - It takes talent to make a platformer about colored boxes and give them more character and emotion than most video game characters.
9: The Curse of Monkey Island - The first Monkey Island game I sat mesmerized watching my brother play and still my favorite, possibly for nostalgic reasons more than anything else. Hilarious and fun puzzles.
8: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - Features murders, executions and mindfuckery. How could I not like it?
7: Heroes of Might and Magic III - Heroes II was my introduction to turn-based strategy and then I spent unbelievably many hours playing Heroes III with my cousins, which pretty much solidified it. Still love this series; in fact, I'm right now playing Heroes I for the first time.
6: Journey - So gorgeous and also one of the most interesting, profound experiences I have ever had playing a video game thanks to the multiplayer element. I floundered about like the rookie I was while this anonymous person patiently waited for me to catch up and gave me encouraging musical trills and showed me where to go - no video game has made me bond with a stranger in remotely the same way.
5: Portal 2 - Amazing puzzle design, writing, humour and everything. The original Portal was amazing and Portal 2 expanded upon it in just the right way.
4: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations - Very closely followed by Dual Destinies, the original Ace Attorney and Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney (which I'm counting as part of the Ace Attorney series for the sake of this list but considered listing separately). Delightful characters, fun mysteries, hilarity, gorgeous music and lots of adorableness, especially for Dual Destines and PLvAA.
3: Ghost Trick - Probably my favorite video game plot in the world, adorable characters, fun puzzles, humour, lovely art style and animation and music, but most of all that plot and that twist.
2: StarCraft - My feelings towards playing this game were very skeptical at first - I liked WarCraft II and didn't think ripping it off and replacing the fantasy world with some sci-fi about aliens and marines could possibly be as good. But holy crap, I fell in love quickly. There is just something about the world and the gameplay and the missions and the characters. I may also have a slight crush on Jim Raynor. I'm not a huge fan of where StarCraft II took the story with regards to Kerrigan, though, sadly.
1: Pokémon Yellow - Well, of course. My favorite battle system in anything ever, my favorite monster lineup and my favorite open-ended world. I generally think the Pokémon games are getting objectively better as the series goes on, but Yellow is still my personal favorite for nostalgia reasons.

10 - Yoshi's Island DS - A delightfully deceptively difficult distraction. It's a great platformer.
9 - Paper Mario, The Thousand Year Door - It's funny, and a neato JRPG.
8 - Zelda: Wind Waker - Spent my middle school on this. It's the Skyrim for the gamecube.
7 - Dark Souls - I think it's a better version of Metroid Prime, and that is quite an accomplishment.
6 - Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition - Pure action at almost it's finest
5 - Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne: Dark, difficult, and sexy, also is probably going to keep you frustrated all night.
4 - Okami - If the combat was more robust, this would be an easy number one.
3 - Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix - Brilliant music, graphics, and imo the most well-designed battle system in a AJRPG.
2 - Final Fantasy XII IZJ - I love the story, the writing, the characters, and the gameplay. My biggest grip is that it's really boring until the post game.
1 - Shadow of the Colossus - Blahblahblah art.

Fallout 3 - I really love post apocalyptic stories, and this one just pushed all the right buttons for me. The world was so cruel and relentless but I loved every moment of it. Yes, even those bloody fire ants. Plus, your dad is voiced by Liam Neeson. How fucking cool is that? I would have added New Vegas to the list as well, but multiple glitches in my game made some major quests unplayable, which really sucked.

Skyrim - I've never played any of the previous titles in this series, so I went into this one completely blind. Absolutely enjoyed the hell out of this game. I got so lost in the side quests that it took me forever to beat the main storyline.

Crash Bandicoot 3 - All the Crash titles are great, but the third one is probably the best. I always loved the over the top, toony style and goofy character personalities. Combined with Spyro, this game is the ultimate nostalgia rush for me.

Spyro: Year of the dragon - This game adds on a truckload of new characters and features, and they all gel together really well! Also, the music in the hub worlds is just so relaxing.

Tombi - Also known as Tomba. It's a pretty weird and unique little game with lots of fun puzzles. I got really invested in the story and characters when I was younger, and I think it still holds up really well today. Never got around to playing the sequel, but I'm definitely not fond of the 3D animation they used... it removes a lot of the original's charm.

The world ends with you - I love the story, characters and gameplay equally in this one, which is a rare thing for me. I enjoyed the little bonuses you could collect after completing the main story that expanded on the game's lore too. They were really interesting.

Bloody Roar - I'm normally not too keen on beat-em-up games, but transforming into a snarling beast and ravaging your opponent was the best.

Bioshock - The atmosphere alone in this game was great, it really kept me on edge. The mystery shrouding the player character was also nicely done too. I'd like if more game did a similar gimmick.

Resident Evil 4 - I've always liked survival horror games, and RE4 really pulls it off well. Some cheesiness abound, but it just adds to the fun.

Spore - Creating silly little monsters in this game was so much fun. Even more so than the actual gameplay, but oh well.

Honourable mentions obviously go to Pokémon, but I really can't decide which one is my favourite. I'm leaning more towards Gen 2, but there's so many things about the other gens I enjoy just as much, so yeah...

Note: These are not in any exact order, I like all of them.

Fallout: New Vegas
Portal 1 and 2
The Half-Life series
Just Cause 2
Garry's Mod
Minecraft
Team Fortress 2
Pokemon FireRed
Fallout 3
Halo 2

In no particular order, here we go...

Portal 2 - When I first played this game, we were going through the story mode together (fun fact, both player 1 and 2 controllers can control Chel) so it made what was already a great game more fun. While it's short, the amazing puzzle solving and humor made this my favorite FPS.

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - Hands down my favorite JRPG of all time. The characters are all amazing, the world is expansive and beautiful, and the story managed to be child-friendly without feeling childish at all. The battle system is a nice mix of turn-based and real-time fighting, still having menus but being able to physically dodge enemy attacks. The ability to switch between English and Japanese voice acting was a nice touch as well.

Pokémon X/Y - I had to put a Pokémon title on here, and I chose the 6th gen games for one feature alone: the PSS. The PSS in my opinion, is among the greatest things added to Pokémon since Pokémon walking with you (and I hope the PSS doesn't share the same fate). I've never felt alone while playing, so long as I have a wifi connection. It also adds some of my favorite Pokémon.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - I just started playing this in the last couple weeks, but I've already put nearly 50 hours into it. While it took me a while to find a playstyle I liked, once I did I was loving it. The world is beautiful, waiting to be explored, and the combat is incredibly fun, especially with spells. Though above all, there is nothing quite as satisfying as going into godmode then slaughtering the people of Whiterun.

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword/Link between Worlds - I couldn't decide between the two. Skyward Sword has fun controls, with whatever direction you swing your remote, the sword swinging that way (stabbing is hard though). It also adds a bit of humor that other Zelda games don't. A Link Between Worlds, on the other hand, may not have the most inventive combat, but the puzzle solving is some of the best I've seen in any Legend of Zelda game to date.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - In my opinion one of the most inventive Mario games to date, taking 3D platforming to a new level. All the powerups are fun to use, and the game gives Yoshi the attention it deserves. And I know the original Super Mario Galaxy did most of these things, but I haven't played it.

Minecraft (modded) - Minecraft is fairly self-explanatory. You build stuff and collect resources. But to be honest, to me it's boring as hell unless I'm playing on a minigame server or with some mods.

Spore - I got this game the day it came out, and still love it to this day. Watching the little creatures I create grow from single-celled organisms that look more like fish to a galactic empire is great. The creator has hours of fun in it alone.

Fire Emblem Awakening - This was my first game in the series, and it did a pretty good job of easing me into it. The possibilities are endless and the support conversations provide pretty good character development, considering they don't really have an impact on the plot. And while I suck at strategy games, this is one of my favorites.

TF2 - Hats, obviously.

No real order, tried to pick varied games

Donkey Kong Country 2 Just an all around great platformer.

Rock Band Series in General (or 3) For me it was a new way to really pay attention to music and generally made me interested in music beyond listening to whatever my parents did. More so for what the game did to me than the gameplay, but I've put way too many hours into this game to not include it.

Paper Mario Thousand Year Door Since I've grown out of RPG's if I had to go back and replay one I would chose this beautiful and charming game with great music.

Super Smash Bros Brawl Will probably change in 2 weeks, but such a great game. Yes, Melee is better but I like the more options Brawl has to offer more.

Warcraft 3 I've always loved the Warcraft series, so close call between this and the new Starcraft, but the great maps that were made because the map maker is easier made this nudge slightly ahead. I also enjoy the fantasy setting more than some of the duller Starcraft planet colors.

Mario Kart 8 I like these racers more than generic real car racing games, and this is my favorite in the series yet.

F-0 X Randomly generated courses and a higher difficultly level than Mario Kart that doesn't rely on item RNG.

Hearthstone I used to collect way too many trading cards, so now that it's free and a well made game by Blizzard... no brainier really.

Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 I love roller coasters, so the ability to design my own mock ones is such a good idea for me. Probably replace this with Theme Park Simulator when I get it (assuming I like it better.)

Metroid Prime True example of a great FPS. The only other of the genre I like are Payday and TF2, but I find more fault in the latter 2 even if they are on different parts of the shotter spectrum.

Wow, 10 isn't very much. This will probably switch around in a year when I finish more games. Also Portal 2 is honorary number 11.

this was a cool thread, let's do it again! god knows my previous post was ridiculously out of date anyway. (edit: as it turns out i have not essentially changed in two years.) disclaimer: i have the shittiest game taste known to humankind. i have dropped any semblance of quality maintenance. every game on this list is basically agreed by everyone except me to be unplayable. (also these are in really loose order. try not to assign the leading number too heavy an intrinsic value. i basically just have 'favourite games' and they're all up there somewhere in the same area.)
  1. spore. okay, this game gets shit on a lot for being... underwhelming and mildly buggy, i suppose, and i agree that it didn't end up being all that it probably could've been. nonetheless i've poured way too many hours into this game to claim it's anything but my favourite at this point. it's really versatile, has a simple plot in which choices affect the end product in a way that makes sense and is easy to follow, virtually everything is customisable, there's a decent modding community, etc. etc.... it very much represents everything i like in a game.
  2. insaniquarium. shit man, what can i say. this game is a goddamn classic. it's dumb and it's simple but i'd be lying if i said this game doesn't pose a challenge to me even after the times i've played it. the replay value is essentially infinite and the concept is ingenious. it's basic enough for a child to understand, but difficult enough to put me at my limit every time i play it. plus, it's really cute in general.
  3. the sims. mainly 3 and 4. 3 is great for a lot of reasons, but its unbearable slowness makes it almost impossible for me to play, as by the time i've actually begun playing it's been like twelve hours and i've lost interest. 4 is less developed and complex but it's different and better in enough ways that i still think it could be said that it's pretty high quality. the sims is maxis, which i'm basically a slave to, so it was pretty much predestined to be on this list.
  4. simcity. yes, the 2013 one. it got a horrific critical response, but basically every major flag that was risen in the reviews was fixed very beautifully in the patches. of course, no one knows that because no one bought it after it got shit on so hard. but i like it still. :(
  5. zoo tycoon 2. what the fuck is my life. what even is this. zoo tycoon is a pretty shitty game but i quite like tycoon games in general and i'd argue that this is one of the better ones. what makes it, though, is the mod community. there are so many mods. so many. it's ridiculous, and it adds enough variety to the game to keep me playing it. a lot. save me
  6. skyward sword. i'm not actually sure how universally disliked this one is, but i hear arin hanson shit on it a lot. i really liked it. the art is nice and it has birds and the characters are all well-done and modelled elegantly, and also (don't kill me for this) i really like the motion controls. i may or may not be the only one. but i found them to be brilliant.
  7. pokémon black and white. i cannot for the life of me understand why so many people hate these games. the pokémon are all cute and the plot trumps that of any other pokémon game by a mile. also, black and white have N. any game with N is already 5/7 status.
  8. super smash bros. 4. everyone actually loves this game, because it's amazing. i am a shameless greninja main (after having mained corrin, mario, pikachu, luigi, bowser... my main will probably change by the end of the week tbh). really though i play this game all the fucking time, semi-competitively, and i have never grown tired of it.
  9. mario kart 8. this is the best mario kart game ever. i hear people complain about battle mode being underwhelming, but battle mode sucks anyway. there is nothing wrong with this game (except for the fact that my girlfriend beat me at it on her first time ever playing the game because honestly what the fuck)
  10. i don't know what to put here. yoshi's story?

Oh boy.

So I uh. Am terrible at ranking games. I have my number one picked out, and my favorites in various series, but I struggle immensely when told to pick my top x games.

SO I AM JUST GONNA PICK MY FAVORITE SERIES AND GO FROM THERE.

Favorite Pokémon game: Omega Ruby Gold, as my first pokemon game, always has a special place in my heart, but I don't remember playing it much at all! I have a lot more memories playing Ruby, so finally getting to finish my hoenn adventures was absolutely amazing. (Plus, seeing the pokemon that beat the gym leaders in the credits really helped. I definitely didn't start crying over that what are you talking about) The Delta Episode also wins for best remake update in a pokemon game (fuck off sevii islands). XY was great, Johto is great, Sinnoh was...okay I don't remember sinnoh much, I struggled with unova but I loved plasma....but man, ORAS takes the cake.

Favorite Kingdom Hearts Game: Dream Drop Distance okay, this is mostly the dream eaters, they're SO CUTE. At any given moment if i'm grinning uncontrollably at my 3ds its either pokemon or this, but either way there is definite petting of cute things happening. Aside from adorable companions, it has fun gameplay and plot that makes me feel things. Two very good things. (Also was smart and relegated the card thing to a side mode, looking at you CoM)

Favorite Tales game: Tales of Graces f Okay i'm pretty sure like ten of you gave me a really weird look for this, especially since I own Vesperia aka the fan favorite game, but hear me out. So like, have you ever not allowed to have a cool thing but you later got a less-cool thing so you decided it was better than the other thing? Yeah my sole memories of vesperia were sitting on the sidelines getting yelled at if I was even like "hey guys you can use items so you don't die" (cause apparently either that was "spoilers" or I just knew nothing about the game? items.), but GRACES. I was actually allowed to play graces so between that, the cool title system and the fact that it made me feel things, it catapulted to being one of my faves in a world that really doesn't like it too much from what I understand.

Favorite Zelda title: Link Between Worlds/Hyrule Warriors Legends honorable mention to the oracle games cause that was a hella advanced connection system ANYWAYS I can't pick between these two, cause ALBW was SUCH FUN but also hyrule warriors legends is super addictive and has linkle who is easily my fave character in the series.

Favorite Final Fantasy game: FF4. God bless Final Fantasy 4. I played at least half of it on my GBA, I own it on my PSP too but my sheer hatred for the system means I won't be touching that version at any point ever, but anyways its great. The characters, the story...it's so freaking neat. Honorable mentions go to 9 because it's so cute and fun, and to tactics a2 because i'm a sucker for strategy games

Favorite Harvest Moon game: Magical Melody a) nostalgia b) BEST HUSBAND (I love louis so much) c) fun! I love Magical Melody immensely. RIP my first file, with my beautiful chickens faith hope and mist?????? (Also it's harder for me to get into the newer ones for some reason)

[strike]Favorite[/strike] ONLY Fire Emblem game: FE Awakening I'M GONNA GET FE14 ONE OF THESE DAYS. not gonna lie the marriage system got me into it and I've never looked back. My inner shipper has been unleashed and cannot be chained again. (although from what I read it kinda sounds like FE4 but with different characters and a better-rendered plot?)

Favorite ?????? game: Atelier Iris 2 my dad picked this up on an rpg binge and never opened it, like seven years later I was allowed to play it and the world was never the same. It's certainly not perfect - you can easily hella abuse heal items, holy shit i'm like two hours in and I basically broke it over my knee, also the translation's a bit....wonky and I am so tired of the mana speech - but oh man is it fun. like I'm on my third restart because I hadn't picked it up in a while and I wanted to relive the fun again. Alchemy system! Super neat battle system! Hella great character designs that are also not super sexualized in the ladies' cases! (except noin but you know what? I can excuse it, we met her in the fucking desert) Gender parity in the party! (Actually, this game inspired me to pick up more games in the franchise if/when I get the chance! I don't actually own any other atelier games, which is why I didn't put the series here as a category)

Favorite overall game: The World Ends With You I suck at TWEWY I'm stuck at like day 3 after a restart but holy shit I love it and i'm so glad I picked it up when I was on my kh3d hiatus due to Feelings.. The soundtrack is the bomb (I know like 70% of the English lyrics), the characters are neat, the whole CONCEPT is neat, the battle system on the ds is one I struggle with but a really neat concept....the story is absolutely riveting and I have definitely had very strong reactions to it. like, "i'm having feelings I need to walk away right now" reactions. also the bravery system is great and more games should do that.

only nine WHATEVER

guys I don't play enough games so everything I want to say is pretty much already here?? but I have noticed I tend to like games on a "is it remotely entertaining" and nostalgia principle, so I figured I'd chip in anyway.

in no particular order...

• Pokemon Diamond. Okay, so this is my stereotypical real-entry-to-the-franchise game. But despite what many seem to dislike about it, I really love Sinnoh. I think the Contests in the fourth gen are as good as it gets (I just like the dancing part ok), and Poffins are more fun for me than trying to button-press in time with a cranky old man.
  • PMD Explorers of Sky. This one's for feels, and plot, and having a save point outside of the damn guild, and I just really love the pixel feel of the game? I love the pixel Pokemon and it just gets me in a way that Super Mystery Dungeon hasn't yet. Admittedly the new models aren't bad, per se, but I prefer pixels and jeez the ending is so feelsy.
  • Final Fantasy VI. That's not a typo, I like VI more than VII, partly because I prefer learning spells to equipping materia. Also there's the pixel thing going on and I love me my pixels. (I have yet to actively dislike a final fantasy game, so it's not like I dislike VII, but there's a kind of nostalgia attached to VI that makes me smile more than VII's.) There's the opera, too, which is an amazing thing.
  • Fire Emblem: Fates & Fire Emblem: Awakening. flora said it, it's the marriage system, I love my children and all my husbands and waifus and the plot in awakening is not bad??? A huge huge factor is the music, too! I mean, you do see songs like Id Hope posted on share threads kind of often (if not here then on other forums), but it's still wonderful! And I just get really attached to the characters. And to the shipping system. There's just something about watching your best friend or husband or waifu or child wipe out an army of zombie things.
  • Prof. Layton and the Curious Village. not gonna lie, this game makes me feel both really stupid and really smart? I really like the feeling of finishing a puzzle.
  • Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross. Aside from the headache of a plot in the second one, I love the universe. The music's great in both of them, I get my pixels, and there's a ton of adorable characters to beat things up with. A ton. I think Chrono Cross has one of the biggest casts I've ever seen for a single-player game.
  • Persona Q: Shadows of the Labyrinth. Admittedly this is the only Persona game I've played myself, although I've watched plays of both P3 and P4. I love the art in this one, really - they kind of bastardized the characterization, which makes sense with such a large cast, but the art makes up for it. Everyone is so cute!

wow that's only seven. i'm so good at this counting thing

Favourite Pokémon game: Heartgold - Two regions!

Favourite non-Pokémon games:

Skyrim - The ultimate hiking simulator :)
Final Fantasy 12 - The only FF I've played and it was brilliant (apart from the infinite cutscenes...)
Prof. Layton and the Lost Future - Rented it from my friend when I was 11, and the story blew my mind...
TF2 - I haven't got it, but always play it at my friend's... I like annoying the Russians...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom