• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

The episode was okay. The villain and the songs weren't great but the story as a whole was entertaining.

I do wonder whether the Crystal Empire is a part of Equestria? I mean the princesses seem to have power over it but why is it its own empire then? Perhaps the empire was just what it was called when Sombra was in charge.

(Have we ever agreed on anything MLP-related other than "~90% of the fandom is comprised of morons"? :P)

Look, I know I go on and on and on about this, but I've not seen a single shred of evidence to suggest that who you're complaining about is 90% of the fandom rather than the loud minority.
Someone said something like "trust me, it's true" or something to that affect a few pages back. ...okay? How do you know?
And the complaining how bad EqD (or, in fact, <insert site name here>) is. People say how bad it is but what exactly? The authors? The comments? The type of news it posts? Everything? It's always so vague when people complain about these things.

And I'm not even convinced everyone is complaining about the same things. The complaints about those who insist upon associating the fandom with males with usage of 'bro' and such make sense, but then the next person complains about certain pony sites which I've to be honest not seen much of such attitudes.

Now don't get me wrong; I'm not fond of the fandom in general either. In fact my enjoyment of the show has diminished significantly because of it, to the point where I almost decided to not watch season 3 at all.
But I would not go so far as to claim that the majority are the kind of people I dislike about it.

This next bit may be my own worries and insecurities here and so will probably be full of fallacies that don't work even if I'm right. But I get a serious vibe of people ignoring these complaints of mine because they associate such complaints with those made by these hated people in the fandom, therefore I'm not to be taken seriously by default.

Last edited:
Look, I know I go on and on and on about this, but I've not seen a single shred of evidence to suggest that who you're complaining about is 90% of the fandom rather than the loud minority.
Someone said something like "trust me, it's true" or something to that affect a few pages back. ...okay? How do you know?
And the complaining how bad EqD (or, in fact, <insert site name here>) is. People say how bad it is but what exactly? The authors? The comments? The type of news it posts? Everything? It's always so vague when people complain about these things.

And I'm not even convinced everyone is complaining about the same things. The complaints about those who insist upon associating the fandom with males with usage of 'bro' and such make sense, but then the next person complains about certain pony sites which I've to be honest not seen much of such attitudes.

Now don't get me wrong; I'm not fond of the fandom in general either. In fact my enjoyment of the show has diminished significantly because of it, to the point where I almost decided to not watch season 3 at all.
But I would not go so far as to claim that the majority are the kind of people I dislike about it.

This next bit may be my own worries and insecurities here and so will probably be full of fallacies that don't work even if I'm right. But I get a serious vibe of people ignoring these complaints of mine because they associate such complaints with those made by these hated people in the fandom, therefore I'm not to be taken seriously by default.

I'll PM you with a response - I think it's best if we take it there. (Let's not derail this, okay?)

Also, I'm making a ratings list on Tumblr for each MLP:FiM episode to date. I'll post it here when it's done.

The moral at the end of the episode was only really directly related to the dilemma that faced Pinkie right at the beginning. Not that using the cloning pond thing wasn't a good way to teach the lesson, but it did feel a bit like most of the episode was dragged out a bit.

Quite a few things in the episode would be quite scary if it weren't just a cartoon. Like why was the book Twilight got the spell out of hidden in a secret compartment?
...because in the wrong hands it could probably be used on people who haven't been duplicated D:

Also I wonder how many times Andrea Libman had to record the word 'fun'.

For me, the highlights of this episode were the finger scene (yeah, I'm biased because *pokes username*, but whatever), the orange running gag, the epic burn on past generations (even if you like past generations, you have to admit that it was brilliantly done), and the various scenes of all those Pinkies ruining everything.

Negatives, however, included the fact that, as PF said, it took a little too long for the episode to really get going. Also, I found the plot line a little generic.

Still, a very solid episode that definitely exceeded my expectations.

Final Rating: 8/10

(Yeah, I think I'll do this every week now.)

If I found out someone who used to bully me only did it because they didn't want to be bullied themselves, I sure wouldn't automatically forgive them. They're still not a nice person.

Anyway did any of the main six speak in this episode except for Applejack and the couple of lines from Pinkie Pie? I don't recall any of them saying anything.

@PF: No, they didn't.

Anyway, ratings time!

Highlights included Babs Seed - one of my favourite one-off characters, right up there with Iron Will and Gilda. For whatever reason, I also found Sweetie Belle's being the voice of reason really cute.

Negatives included Pinkie Pie. Her scene came across as unnecessary, hackneyed, and not funny at all, and the puns were awful. Also, although the message of the episode is an important one, it felt like it was laid on a little too thickly. All in all, not Cindy Morrow's best work.

Final Rating: 6/10

Was a pretty kick-ass episode all-around; it's definitely my favorite episode so far in S3.

Also, did anyone else catch the Star Wars shout-out?

I'm sorry, but this episode was pointless. I really didn't see much development for it, especially Trixie. It was basically *boom here's trixie, twilight go learn stuff and trick her out of the amulet* the amulet bothered me too. i wish it was called something other than Alicorn Amulet. Why? Because it made me think that whoever wore it would become an alicorn and if that were true i would have thrown something out the window. Maybe my hate for this episode was because of my hatred for Trixie, Snips and Snails? I dunno. But Zecora was in this episode, that's a plus. I just feel that this episode was rushed and probably wouldn't exist if not for some people who like trixie (coughcoughEquestriaDaily?coughcough). If they are gonna bring back old plot device characters, then they should bring back Gilda, Flim and Flam, and yes, even Babs Seed (whom is the best of the characters i listed). And that's what i thought of this episode. (6/10).

Highlights~Zecora showed up, Trixie's return could possibly mean that the developers might bring back one-time-appearance characters, Twilight beating Trixie through mindgames of sorts

Things I hated about it~Trixie, Snips and Snails, Really the whole plot, the Alicorn Amulet

Now, Saturday needs to appear quicker because Scootaloo is finally getting her own episode and hopefully it will be better than freaking Magic Duel.

So far, this season is disappointing me. I only like Too Many Pinkie Pies and One Bad Apple right now.

Absolutely not a 10/10, but probably the most exciting S3 episode yet. Still, it was entirely a fanservice episode that would've worked better in an arc.
The Alicorn Amulet thing came out of nowhere, and what store would just have it sitting around (and why).

7.2/10

I was quite happy with the glorious amounts of fan service in this episode. We got Trixie, and Zecora. Owlowiscious made a cameo, as did a parasprite. Pinkie managed to play the tuba without a mouth. Also, Saddle Arabia is now canon.

The plot seemed a tad rushed but still a great episode, maybe 8/10

Does anyone have a link to the latest episode? I haven't been internetting for about a week so I've missed all the links.

Thanks. Wow that really was quite a good episode. Definitely my favourite from season 3 so far.

I'm a sucker for continuity so I really liked the references to parasprites and moustaches and stuff.

I really how Twilight went to Zecora after she was banished. It might seem obvious thing to do, but seeing how she didn't have access to the library it would have been silly if she hadn't.

And usually when there's a problem, her friends go straight to her for help, and she then looks through the library. I like how this time they went to the library to find a solution themselves.

As for why that shop would have the alicorn amulet (I didn't really have a problem with it as there's usually some sort of plot device), maybe it was in the Knockturn Alley of the pony world.

I didn't think the plot was rushed. In fact I think it was exactly the right pace. A lot of episodes I didn't particularly like in season 2 were really slow moving, and looking back at season 1 it surprised me how much they did in the 20 minutes.

As for Trixie being there, I was pretty eh about it, but at the end when she did the whole puff of smoke escape thing again at the end, I realised I didn't really mind. Fanservice isn't inherently bad, and this episode is good enough to stand up on its own, in my opinion.

Pretty fun episode overall. I really do like the interactions between the pairs of sisters, especially Rarity and Sweetie Belle.
I don't have all that much to say. It was a pretty solid episode.

I do wonder if Luna's tendency to appear in dreams is where the name Nightmare Moon came from, but then she'd have had to have been doing it before she was banished. Maybe that's why they started nightmare night, without someone there to help them out in their nightmares they had to teach themselves to cope with fear!

Last edited:
Has anyone watched the latest episode yet?

I'm running low on time right now, so I'll edit this post later with my review of Sleepless in Ponyville.

Also, this is the thousandth reply.

EDIT:

Sleepless in Ponyville review:

Highlights included Luna's return (though I think it was Dream!Luna and not the real Luna), the ending, and the fact that we finally have a Scootaloo episode.

Negatives included the pacing of the first half of the episode - I thought it was a little too slow.

Overall, though, a solid debut by Corey Powell.

Final Rating: 7/10

Last edited:
Latest episode (Wonderbolt Academy) was actually really good and interesting! Although, Spitfire's voice was kinda meh
anyway, i liked how they had characters from Hurricane Fluttershy in it, too ^^ and Lightning Dust had a really interesting character/character development, and i wouldn't be mad if they brought her back in another episode.

Back
Top Bottom