• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

ON TAGGING AND HOW NOT TO DO IT

surskitty

「にがいのは いやだ」って…
Pronoun
they
First off, it is probably a good idea to check the Tag Cloud before tagging anything to avoid redundant tags. Do remember that the purpose of tagging is to either mark it as something done wrong ('failing at thread titles' if the title is not descriptive, and yes, this does mean that the topic starter should go fix that) or to help look for threads of a particular subject matter. Do NOT tag things as 'Pokemon' if they are Pokemon-related, however: this is a forum about Pokemon! Of course stuff's going to be about Pokemon.

Also, for the love of anything you care about, do not tag something in a way that can describe any thread in the particular board. The Introductions section is for introductions: of course threads are about intros! The sprite section contains sprites: this is not a shock. Don't tag for exceedingly obvious things, either: sprite shops usually contain splices. That is kind of obvious. Don't tag for it! If you're editing non-Pokemon sprites, then sure, tag for series, but don't just tag for the bleeding obvious.

Don't tag for usernames or anything particularly subjective. No one cares if you thought a thread was 'awesome': don't tag it like so! If you started a thread, don't tag it as your username because - this might come as a shock - it's possible to find all threads you started. Really! Information pollution is the type of thing you should avoid.

If something is marked as 'failing at thread titles', please try to figure out why. Is the thread title descriptive? No? Then change it! Don't tag it as 'title is fine wtf' or something unless the title really is okay. And even then, you shouldn't: it's probably easier to point the thread out to someone (I know I care a bit about tags)

Oh, and if you're tagging threads as 'is that a fucking bear' because someone keeps doing that, please don't. It's just stupid. Don't abuse tags.

Some Common Tags Whining About Stuff and Their Usage (please don't make your own versions of them)
- "failing at thread titles" - the title is somehow not descriptive of its contents. If you're the topic creator, you probably want to fix that if the tag pops up. Threads titled things like 'What?' 'Help!' or 'The Better Now Playing' don't actually say what is in the thread.
- "wash my tags" - someone should go through and remove extra tags! This will usually be me, but, y'know, if you overtagged the thread in question, you can probably ditch your extra tags yourself.

WHAT DID I FORGET

ETA:
RE: "FAILING AT THREAD CONTENT", "FAIL", AND OTHER SIMILAR TAGS
please don't do them. If you have to be a dick, be a dick without trying to be anonymous about it. Also then it's easier to tell whether or not someone was offended by it and it's worth hitting the infract button over. Don't use the tagging system in order to show your disapproval of things in general. If one easy-to-fix thing is being done wrong then sure point it out but just... don't be a dick. Or if you're going to be a dick then be open about it.

Last edited:
If it goes unread, I will probably plead with Butterfree to get an announcement posted or something. :/ I am Irritated at completely useless tags.

Ah, thank you for this~

Ick, I suppose the one time I happened to add a tag it was unnessary.

:/ Oh well. Just get better about it and don't do a whole lot of tagspamming unlike some people who keep tagging for memes?

deretto it is my goal in life to take stupid things seriously

that is why I am in fandom

Last I checked, you weren't the admin of this forum. So don't just go spewing rules like CO2. O-o;;;

It saddens me that common sense needs to be pointed out in threads like these, but believe me, whether or not she's the admin doesn't matter. This is not a rule, it's common fucking sense. The forum, however, is apparently too goddammed immature to figure this out. Hence, thread.

Last edited:
It saddens me that common sense needs to be pointed out in threads like these, but believe me, whether or not she's the admin doesn't matter. This is not a rule, it's common fucking sense. The forum, however, is apparently to goddammed immature to figure this out. Hence, thread.

I hadn't seen it get out of hand other then the bear thing which I and a lot of other people found amusing. This place needs to relax a little. As long as the necessary tags are there, who cares? Or if you really want to implement this rule. Just have the thread creator/mods as the only tag makers. Isn't that common sense?

It upsets me that multiple people think that because something isn't explicitly stated in the rules, a mod is going out of their boundaries by pointing out that people are spamming and abusing the tags. I fully agree with surskitty and opaltiger, and mixing the useful tags with "fuck off ______" and "is that a fucking bear" and twenty or so band names or the name of the forum the thread is in makes the tags pointless. That someone noticed the growing problem and is letting everyone know that it is in fact a problem is a /good thing/. How is surskitty's scolding less valid than the administrator's?

Also Deretto, nobody in #tcod finds 'is that a fucking bear' funny, and it's unpleasant to need to edit them out, I'm sure. it's not funny, it's not clever, it's dumb and creates needless work for the mods.

edit: They are indeed just tags, but again nobody is saying don't use them, just don't use completely pointless ones. Several people have taken to tagging their name in every thread they post in. It's arrogant, and an 'all posts by ____' search already exists.

Last edited:
I hadn't seen it get out of hand other then the bear thing which I and a lot of other people found amusing. This place needs to relax a little. As long as the necessary tags are there, who cares? Or if you really want to implement this rule. Just have the thread creator/mods as the only tag makers. Isn't that common sense?

No, since it completely defeats the point of tags.

It upsets me that multiple people think that because something isn't explicitly stated in the rules, a mod is going out of their boundaries by pointing out that people are spamming and abusing the tags. I fully agree with surskitty and opaltiger, and mixing the useful tags with "fuck off ______" and "is that a fucking bear" and twenty or so band names or the name of the forum the thread is in makes the tags pointless. That someone noticed the growing problem and is letting everyone know that it is in fact a problem is a /good thing/. How is surskitty's scolding less valid than the administrator's?

Also Deretto, nobody in #tcod finds 'is that a fucking bear' funny, and it's unpleasant to need to edit them out, I'm sure. it's not funny, it's not clever, it's dumb and creates needless work for the mods.

As long as the proper tags are there, they don't become pointless. Other members cannot erase your tags. And honestly, you don't need to tell me what #tcod thinks. I already know who's in it. Last I checked #tcod!=forums thank you very much.

Anywho. I'm bored so I'll let this be. I don't use tags anyways. I just think this place is too uptight.

cry moar

Do we need to start the TCoD-signature drama over fucking tags? It's not a big deal. Of course people should try to be sensible when tagging threads, but getting into a batshitty bitchfest about it is just not necessary. Who honestly cares whether there are some threads tagged with "is that a fucking bear"? It doesn't get in anyone's way unless you can't find the valid tags in the soup of random ones, which as far as I can tell hasn't happened yet.

Nobody is going to get hurt because there are a couple of unnecessary words at the bottom of the thread view. Seriously. It's nice to have a thread about tagging, but it is completely beyond me how you people can think this is something worth getting into a dramatic e-argument about.

Back
Top Bottom