• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus, how good at math is she? Math Olympiad - good stuff, Butterfree. Very good stuff. Have fun in Spain––great country––and be sure to bring back stories. Good luck, God Bless, and, most importantly, win one for TCOD! Peace and love.

Yay, I'm back. To answer some of the questions that came up:

Have... fun, I guess? I don't know, I don't consider math fun. :P

Well, I hope you have a good time, and since it appears to be some sort of international competition, I hope you win. Or, actually, I hope the USA wins. :P But I guess I hope you get second place.

Actually, no, screw patriotism, I'm rooting for you guys. :D
:P Iceland is not about to win anything international, particularly not if it involves teams. It's a simple matter of statistics - the odds that a 300,000-people nation's top six mathematicians are going to be better than a 1.200.000-people nation's are astronomically low. Hence why China wins. And well, Russia last year.

This also applies to everybody who hoped I would win. There is absolutely no way in hell I am ever going to win anything international. As it happens I got four points in the contest. :P Although a guy on the Icelandic team did get a bronze (that means, by the way, only that you did better than roughly half of the other contestants).

Best of luck, Butterfree. Hope you do well. hopefully you won't melt in Spain, I expect I probably would. xD

Goodbye, and have fun missing my birthday in Spain. >:(
Happy late birthday! :D

Is she going to be participating?
Although some would no doubt be interested in watching various sports competitions, you have to be a very special kind of enthusiastic to feel the need to pay to watch people sit and do math for four and a half hours straight two days in a row. So yes, I was participating.

Oh wow, the IMO? Cool! I tried a few times to get to that competition, but always fell two exams short here in the USA.

Then again, the last time I tried was when I was 12... I was a full-time university student after that.

Anyway, good luck! Talk about the problems you had to try to solve when you get back. ^^
It's obviously a lot harder to get onto the US team than the Icelandic team, again because there's only 300,000 of us to choose from. And my LiveJournal has a bit of a breakdown of most everything that happened, including a reproduction of my partial solution to problem four.

Good luck and have fun! I hope you win.

Hey, is that contest on TV?
It would take a very, very special kind of enthusiastic to want to watch people do math for four and a half hours straight two days in a row on television, when you're not even getting a vacation in Spain out of it. :P

Thanks for all the well-wishes and support. Let's all worship the Norwegian who won a gold now! :o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom