• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

GOOOOOOOOOOOGLE PLUUUUUSSSSS!

I love how when I registered and put 4 people into circles it suddenly said "You must be lonely..." or something.

I dunno, seems useless if only because no one actually uses it yet. None of my friends, anyway.

I love how when I registered and put 4 people into circles it suddenly said "You must be lonely..." or something.

I dunno, seems useless if only because no one actually uses it yet. None of my friends, anyway.
That's why you invite people; you have 150 invites plus just tell your friends. I'm still on a recruitment drive.

Okay, this is kinda creepy. I checked out its suggestions for people to add to my circles, and it suggested people from a forum I haven't visited for a year. People who I never even talked to, and as far as I can tell they're not in the circles of any people I'm currently following, or following any of the same people I am. (I mean, they might be following Notch, but I find it highly unlikely that it'd chose them from the 100000 people following him and bunch them together in my suggestions)

How does Google know this stuff D:

haha oh yeah I forgot that it wasn't open to everyone just yet

I've had it for months. :P it's okay I guess. the circles feature is nice, but facebook seems to be trying to copy that with 'lists'.

Same here but I only had a couple of other people in my circles or whatever until now so I barely used it

I was wondering what the sudden fascination with it was when basically every good acquaintance of mine from high school had added me on it a couple days ago.

I really hope this gets big, because I really don't like facebook to begin with and I doubly resent it because my parents forced me to get one so I could be their fucking farmville neighbor or some shit. Ever since then, every somewhat-civil conversation with my father has been:
"HEY MEGAN you need to check your facebook so you can give me a pair of overalls"
"Fuck no"
"WHY DO YOU HAVE ONE IF YOU NEVER USE IT?"

Okay, this is kinda creepy. I checked out its suggestions for people to add to my circles, and it suggested people from a forum I haven't visited for a year. People who I never even talked to, and as far as I can tell they're not in the circles of any people I'm currently following, or following any of the same people I am. (I mean, they might be following Notch, but I find it highly unlikely that it'd chose them from the 100000 people following him and bunch them together in my suggestions)

How does Google know this stuff D:

O_O
1) Do you have a gmail, 2) did you use your gmail to register at that forum (or if you didn't did you register with Google+ the same email you registered at that forum) and 3) did you ever have emails from that forum sent to you?

I can tell that Google keeps track of the searches associated with your IP address and modifies its search suggestions based on what you have searched in the past. So it's even possible that if you have googled "xxx forums" a certain number of times google will pick up on that and give you friend suggestions from over there. But I would think this isn't the case, since you recognized the people google suggested from the other forum, so presumably they weren't just random members.

Because I totally said social networking was a necessity... ya no :/ I was stating that the lack of a decent social networking service accessible by my age group was an inconvenience to those who have an interest in social networking. This just happens to be nearly everyone in the town I live in. Everyone has a Facebook account and while it's okay, I've seen about 50-100 anti-Facebook statements in the last day because of the recent changes along with statements about other social networking services. I never said anyone needed social networking, or even the Internet for that matter.

Anyway, I do in fact have a gmail account as well as a Google account (I think they go together or something), and I was still not allowed to join. It still gives me the age restriction message. Maybe it just doesn't like me very much :o
EDIT: I tried to make another Gmail account to see if it would let me get in that way, but now it's giving me an age restriction message even for that! What the heck is going on? Grrr technology.

Last edited:
O_O
1) Do you have a gmail, 2) did you use your gmail to register at that forum (or if you didn't did you register with Google+ the same email you registered at that forum) and 3) did you ever have emails from that forum sent to you?

I can tell that Google keeps track of the searches associated with your IP address and modifies its search suggestions based on what you have searched in the past. So it's even possible that if you have googled "xxx forums" a certain number of times google will pick up on that and give you friend suggestions from over there. But I would think this isn't the case, since you recognized the people google suggested from the other forum, so presumably they weren't just random members.

I did use my gmail address to register, though surely the forum would know that, not google?
And I recognised a few suggestions as mods, admins and one avatar that seems pretty typical of the forums. So I dunno.

For all I know some of these suggestions are tcod members and I don't know it yet!

/me tinfoil hat

I did use my gmail address to register, though surely the forum would know that, not google?

But did you have email notifications sent to you, such as when you got a PM, VM, or reply in a thread?

And I recognised a few suggestions as mods, admins and one avatar that seems pretty typical of the forums. So I dunno.

Sounds like google might be stalking your interests with your searches. *slight shudder*

For all I know some of these suggestions are tcod members and I don't know it yet!

/me tinfoil hat
you would have at least gotten a confirmation email. google+ also goes through your email or phone contacts if they're connected to your google account, or if you're friends with someone from that forum.

gmail suggests university lecturers to me, for example, who don't actually have google+, but they're in my email contacts.

/me tinfoil hat
Google has records of all the e-mails you have ever sent or received through GMail, as well as their contents (at least the received ones). It does its best to track your searches even if you aren't logged into your Google account, and any Google service that you use is going to track your activity. Chrome sends Google information on your browsing habits; so does Google Toolbar and some of their other services. Meanwhile, any web page that uses Google Analytics will record when you show up there and send the data to Google even if you don't have a Google account or use any of its other services. Probably it doesn't look into your browsing history the way Amazon does to recommend products, but it could.

It also knows that information on the people with whom you have interacted, so even if you aren't revealing your browsing history to Google, it can work off your contacts (assuming they have not been so stringent in their browsing habits as you) list to determine interests/sites of overlap and recommend contacts-of-contacts that you likely know, if only because they interact with some other set of people you know.

No. Forums are for discussion, social networking is exclusively for keeping track of people.
Yeah, nobody has ever had a conversation over Facebook, used it to play games, or even get deals on stuff. :P

And forum software has been doing everything it can to add "social networking" features; cf user groups, visitor messages.

Back
Top Bottom