• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Black & White English names

And just because today was the first day IGN revealed them means that that's the first time anyone has seen those names? Plenty of people saw things through leaks before, so who says that those nine-or-whatever names weren't leaked and immediately snapped up by a prankster? I would consider IGN a better source than plenty of other crap we've seen so far, so it's not that on its own that's bothering me at all. I doubt IGN would fake the braviary screen, at any rate.

You can form whatever opinions you like as long as you are taking them with a grain of salt. Not everyone does and that's the kind of idiocy I'd like to see less of. I still see little point in bothering with rumors, regardless of how convincing they might be. If nothing else, it would allow people to enjoy this relatively low period of wankwankwank for just a little bit longer before they are confirmed and the RUINED FOREVERs resurface en masse.

Bahahahaha. I like some of these.

What bothers me is, whether these are real or not, once the official names are officially out and confirmed, there are going to be some stupid ones in there, and everybody and their mother is going to be complaining and I wish* we could just skip fourish years forward to when people are too concerned with the Japanese Gen 6 leaks to argue about Gen 5 anymore.

I'm getting tired of having to pull out the whole "JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE YOUR NOSTALGIA GLASSES ON DOESN'T MEAN SOME OF GEN 1 WASN'T STUPID TOO HURR DURR LOOK AT MUK, IT'S JUST A BIGGER GRIMER, LOOK AT EKANS AND ARBOK THEIR NAMES ARE STUPID, HURR DURR HURR DURR" argument every time I talk to anybody.

* I just wish we could all get along like we used to in middle school. I wish I could bake a cake made out of rainbows and smiles and we'd all eat it and be happy.

---

EDIT and just because I feel like it, a list of my likes and dislikes (or at least, what immediately jumps out at me).

All the starters except Tepig's evolutions
Liepard
Tranquill
Audino (I mean, c'mon. Audio + I dunno.)
Palpatineitoad
Whimsicott
Krookodile - could only be better if they spelled it Crookodile
Maractus
Yamask (If I'm not mistaken, does "Yam" come from Japanese "Yami" = "dark" ? If so, this is an odd way of replacing Japanese with... other Japanese.)
Trubbish and Garbodor. Hee hee. Trubbish.
Gothita and Solosis's whole lines sound like more sensible translations of the Japanese romaji than the Japanese copyrighted names are.
Ducklett
Vanillite's whole line, especially Vanillish. It's delish. Bahaha
Foongus amoongus.
Frillish and Jellicent.
Litwick's whole line. But especially Litwick.
Axew's whole line. My favorite ought to be Haxorus, but I just love Fraxure best for some reason.
Shelmet.
Druddigon gets props for using "ruddy" (an adjective nobody in America seems to use! or at least nobody in the Deep South) instead of something more obvious like "crimson"
BRAVIARY
VULLABY
For some reason I love that they changed the flying legends' suffix from "los" to "us"/"rus".

So-So
Tepig's evolutions
Unfezant (I mean, I get "pheasant", but couldn't the name be a little less opaque?)
Sawsbuck - say whaaaa?
Beheeyem... behemoth?
Deigno's whole line.

Dislike
Roggenrola. But mostly because Sturdy has been changed to be an auto Choice Band and I will see and hate these things in every cave ever so I might as well get used to hating them now.
Sewaddle's whole line
Cofagrigus. Even once you're over the whole fag thing, it sounds like poop.
Ferroseed/Ferrothorn, mostly because Ferro- is totally overused in fakemon Steel-types.
Cryogonal. Because cryo- is overused in mentions of ice in general. But also mostly because I just hate the Pokemon to begin with anyway. I mean, what is it? You have to squint to find a face.
I think Melarva and Ulgamoth will be the only names in the entire 'Dex that I will be attached to enough to still use (for awhile, at least).

Last edited:
Krookodile? Oh HEEEEEEEELL NAW.

Braviary for Wargle?? OH HEEEELL NAW. Guess what the nicknam'es gonna be? Wargle.

Archeops is fantastic though.

Deerling. wow. Creativity people.

^Same with Foogus. Amongus.... oh dear god please be fake...

Litwick for a candle? REALLY?

Bahahahaha. I like some of these.

What bothers me is, whether these are real or not, once the official names are officially out and confirmed, there are going to be some stupid ones in there, and everybody and their mother is going to be complaining and I wish* we could just skip fourish years forward to when people are too concerned with the Japanese Gen 6 leaks to argue about Gen 5 anymore.

I'm getting tired of having to pull out the whole "JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE YOUR NOSTALGIA GLASSES ON DOESN'T MEAN SOME OF GEN 1 WASN'T STUPID TOO HURR DURR LOOK AT [REDACTED; BETOBETON], IT'S JUST A BIGGER [REDACTED; BETOBETAA], LOOK AT [REDACTED; AABO] AND [REDACTED; AABOKKU] THEIR NAMES ARE STUPID, HURR DURR HURR DURR" argument every time I talk to anybody.
I hate it when people go on about how the new pokémon suck! ... This is why I had NO SQUEE-HARSHING in the topic for #tcod for a while.

99% of the reason I'm going I AM BOYCOTTING THE ENGLISH NAMES is that I figure if I refuse to use English names for a bit, *somebody* is going to notice that the Japanese names are often awful. Also I figure that if I'm more hardcore about it than whoever goes I AM NOT USING THE ENGLISH NAMES!! then I can mock them mercilessly.
[REDACTED; WARUBIARU]? Oh HEEEEEEEELL NAW.

[REDACTED; WOOGURU] for Wargle?? OH HEEEELL NAW. Guess what the nicknam'es gonna be? Wargle.

[REDACTED; AAKEOSU] is fantastic though.

[REDACTED; SHIKIJIKA] wow. Creativity people.

^Same with [REDACTED; TAMAGETAKE]. [REDACTED; MOROBARERU].... oh dear god please be fake...

[REDACTED; HITOMOSHI] for a candle? REALLY?
Thank you for proving my point so beautifully.

I updated the list on the first post. However, as the other names are not from an official source, I will not post them as of yet.

I myself get used to English names fast. I don't evaluate them really. Figure that Pokémon names in English aren't the only stupid sounding things in English. :P

EDIT:
I browsed around on the interwbz:

tepid_pig_by_pettyartist-d33eiuw.jpg
~pettyartist
Oshawott-Did-you-mean-Oh-Shit-What.jpg

Last edited:
I hate it when people go on about how the new pokémon suck! ... This is why I had NO SQUEE-HARSHING in the topic for #tcod for a while.

99% of the reason I'm going I AM BOYCOTTING THE ENGLISH NAMES is that I figure if I refuse to use English names for a bit, *somebody* is going to notice that the Japanese names are often awful. Also I figure that if I'm more hardcore about it than whoever goes I AM NOT USING THE ENGLISH NAMES!! then I can mock them mercilessly.Thank you for proving my point so beautifully.

I think you and I are trying to do the exact same thing (make people take off the nostalgia glasses) in two totally different ways (you by rejecting the English names, me by rejecting the Japanese names where an official English one is present).

Except I'm less vocal about my soapbox.

Ahahahahaaaa

Woobat.

That is so funny why did they name it that.

I can't wait to see what Kokoromori's name is.

I like the other names too I suppose. Though Pants lizard needed a more hardcore name.

I think you and I are trying to do the exact same thing (make people take off the nostalgia glasses) in two totally different ways (you by rejecting the English names, me by rejecting the Japanese names where an official English one is present).

Except I'm less vocal about my soapbox.
Well, your soapbox is less awesome than mine and also the default sensible position.

Last edited:
Wargle said:
Deerling. wow. Creativity people.

:| the english pokemon names are pretty well known for being fairly uncreative, and many of them are lame puns or wordplay. I mean 'wargle' just looks like 'war eagle' to me and I don't really see how that's much more creative than 'deerling'. I'm reserving judgement on any of these until they're all confirmed :/

einzweidrei.png

I'll be sad if these are fake :C These are my favourites. Because:

1. I am a huge Germanfag
2. ahaha I was gunna name my one of these in ASB Ein, then Zwei, then Drei as it evolved
3. I have an RP group called Dreigeist, and I shall name it after the group. I'll do this anyway, but.

To my ears, "Wargle" sounds like a noise a drowning person would make. I've always thought it a bit of a silly name for a cool Pokemon. I think Braviary is infinitely cooler.

I will never be able to pronounce Litwick's name how (I assume) it's meant to be said. It's too close to Flitwick, so little Candlemon will forever be "Littick" to me.

I'm with Dannichu on this—even though some of these names are bad, the original 151 definitely had some worse names, and I can forgive it all anyway for the adorable stroke of genius that is Lillipup's name.

There are a few I have linguistic trifles with—"Servine" because it sounds like "cervine", "Braviary" because an aviary is where you keep birds and "Bravian" would make more sense—but I think they pretty much all sound fine. "Throh" and "Sawk" amuse me enough to make up for their lameness. "Cofagrigus" is a bit unfortunate and sort of ugly besides that, but not that awful.

"Sawsbuck" is a cool name; I'm a bit iffy on it being gendered on a Pokémon with a 1:1 gender ratio, but female Mr Mime sound perfectly fine to me now, so I'm guessing I'll stop seeing it as gendered after a bit. Whimsicott, Litwick, and Tynamo are adorable; Purrloin is a brilliant pun; I'm glad too that Scraggy and Scrafty's names don't reference their being half urban-thug caricatures, and Mandibuzz and Bouffalant are relieving for similar reasons... Really, I love these names on the whole.

Also I can't help but giggle at Boldore because my first thought was "SNIVY KILLED DUMBOLDORE." I want to make a team consisting of Dumboldore and Professor Litwick and find four other puns to fit the theme.

EDIT: OH on the same note as Sawsbuck, Big Pecks is "Coeur de Coq" in French, literally "Cock Heart"—they don't use "cock" as a slang word for penis, but the genderedness still amuses me when Mandibuzz gets it. And both names amuse me in the case of Swanna with its breast feathers.

Also I agree on "Wargle" looking like a noise, particularly a drowning noise.

Last edited:
Like:
Foongus and Amoongus: they're hilarious, even if they turn my favorite new Pokémon into a laughingstock. XD
Hydreigon: quadruple pun on hydra, dragon, drei, and possibly legion? Yes.
Druddigon: Awesome-sounding name on another of my favorite Pokémon this generation, and "drudge" is an awesome word anyways.
Sawsbuck: Summer + autumn + winter + spring = SAWS, and then Buck. Short, clever, and fitting. :)
Serperior, Samurott, and Emboar: All fitting, good-sounding names for the starters in question.
Gigalith: It sounds epic.
Sigilyph: Sigil plus glyph. For some reason I like the Pokémon with obscure words in their names this generation...
Pawniard and Bisharp: Unexpected and rather unfitting, but I like their names.
Escavalier: One of the best.

Ambivalent/Undecided:
Everything not included in either list. :P

Dislike:
Roggenrolla: No matter how good Gigalith's name is, it doesn't make this one any better in my eyes.
Audino: Unfitting and it's not especially pleasing to the ears.
Timburr, Gurdurr, and Conkledurr: As much as I dislike memes... hurr durr.
Woobat/Swoobat: *sigh*
Klink/Klang/Klinklang: ... *sigh* At least they carried over the style of the Japanese names...
Cryogonal/Braviary: Should be, as previously stated, "Cryogon" and "Bravian." Still, good effort by the translation team, even if they didn't get it right. >.>
Mandibuzz: Awesome name, just has the misfortune of being on a Dark/Flying vulture when all the name brings to mind is "BUG."
Tynamo: Meh.

:| the english pokemon names are pretty well known for being fairly uncreative, and many of them are lame puns or wordplay.
Just the english ones?

... I still love that goosuto (Ghost) is a goosuto (... ghost)/doku (poison) type.

To my ears, "Wargle" sounds like a noise a drowning person would make. I've always thought it a bit of a silly name for a cool Pokemon. I think Braviary is infinitely cooler.

Also I agree on "Wargle" looking like a noise, particularly a drowning noise.

I always though it sounded like a noise, but it made me think of more like a bird noise. It's like warble but with a g, so it becomes all masculine and Native American eagle-ey.

Back
Top Bottom