• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
rice and card in school? and you're fourteen? i'm impressed and confused.

Our school has some program in which the teachers try to teach more 'advanced' things to the freshmen and sophomores so that we'll understand them better in junior and senior year. I don't really know, it's confusing. But I do enjoy all of the books we've read so far.

I just finished Brian Aldiss's Hothouse. I'm not being at all rhetorical when I say it was like experiencing a horrible nightmare. Stuff just happened in that weird kind of dream way, and everything was grimdark but no-one seemed to notice.

I started re-reading the Wheel of Time series last night. I got about halfway way through The Shadow Rising last time before it got too convoluted for me, so I just stopped for a year and a half and kind of forgot about it. So I'm starting all over with Eye of the World. I'm picking up tons of things I either missed or forgot last time and I think it'll be much more interesting now that I kind of know what it'll be like. I wasn't used to Jordan's writing style when I first went into it and it was quite confused, so I'm ready for it now and all shall be well. :3

I'm reading Push by Sapphire right now. It's a very... raw book. But I've seen the movie, so I know it has a happy ending, sort of. ;;

Also, I didn't know Precious had a thing with Louis Farrakhan.

House of the Scorpion. It's about clones!

Not a bad book, if I remember it correctly. Pretty original concept. She has a fantasy series set in the time when Christianity was just being popularized in post-Roman England. I think that's what you'd call it, anyway.

I've heard about that House of Leaves thing, so I might check that out eventually. I've mostly been reading short stories online, lately, like The Secret Number and a thing from the SCP Foundation, Document Recovered From the Marianas Trench. Also Asimov's The Last Question.

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis. I find it strange how much I'm enjoying this book, because I could hardly stand Prince Caspian, and I don't think they're very much different. I'll have to go back and reread Prince Caspian someday; maybe I would like it more now. In any case, I'm enjoying this one.

I'm also reading Shakespeare's Hamlet. Again, I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying this play - I didn't much care for Romeo and Juliet or Macbeth. Maybe my taste in books is maturing overall - or maybe I'm enjoying Hamlet so much because the last book we read in English class was Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad and I did not care for it at all.

So basically I'm very much enjoying both the books I'm reading right now, and I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying them. =]

Just finished Eye of the World. Like, not ten minutes ago. Amazing book. Mind-blowingly rich and detailed, just like all of the Wheel of Time series. I'll be starting The Great Hunt tomorrow.

Finished vol. 5 of Great Teacher Onizuka two days ago. Kinda wish I had something more existentialist to read, but hey, it's manga. Can't possibly be bad.

Finally finished reading Feet of Clay by Terry Pratchett and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Probably going to read The Secret History by Donna Tartt next.

Last edited:
I finally finished Jane Eyre. Now I'm reading the Astro Boy series afetr I became obsessed with the show.

The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde. A few chapters after Dorian has Basil's body dissolved.

Finished, along with The Importance of Being Earnest. Was going to start Les Miserables, but I've just realized how massive the thing is. Gonna try to go find a copy of The Stranger, by Albert Camus today instead. For some reason I can't seem to find a Kindle version. :T

Some novel or other by Val McDermid. Not sure of the title, but at the moment all I want are murder mysteries with enough plot twists to make me forget I've got just over a week to do 8,000 word of essay, and it's doing a marvellous job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom