• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Challenge Board

Zhorken

groove out!
Pronoun
they or she
The Challenge Board
The Challenge Board lies West of ASB Central on the side of a well-worn road. An old, broad plank of wood stands fixed to a post, worn smooth by time and the weather. Hundreds of paper notes flutter in the breeze, pinned on in layers, each one describing a challenge in a hastily written scrawl or a meticulously typed form. This is where the battlers of Asber issue challenges, whether open to anybody or to a particular trainer in a long-running vendetta. Every now and then you'll see an ASB administrative trying to navigate the layers of paper notes, taking old posts down, but most of the traffic is from active trainers seeking to test their abilities.

All battles function via the Challenge Board. This is where you take up a challenge or start your own battle, and wait for a referee to claim it and start a new thread. Challenges generally work by this format:

Format: This is where you determine what kind of battle you’ll be playing. Key elements here are the number of Pokémon each team uses, and how many Pokémon each player has out at once. For example, 3vs3 single would mean that each player has three Pokémon, but only one is on field at a time. 4vs4 double means each player has four Pokémon, and each player has two Pokémon on field.

Style: This describes how easily you can switch out Pokémon. In set style, when a Pokémon is recalled it is considered knocked out and can no longer be used in battle. In switch style, Pokémon can be withdrawn out of battle freely without being considered knocked out.

DQ Time: The disqualification time is how long a player has to post commands in the battle threads before being disqualified. This is also how long a referee has to post a reffing before an emergency referee can step in to continue the battle. The standard DQ time is one week. DQ times for players can be amended by a post in the Absence Sheet.

Damage Cap: The maximum amount of damage a Pokémon can be dealt by opponents in one round (self-inflicted damage does not count towards the damage cap). This is to discourage opponents merely spamming powerful, supereffective attacks to quickly bring down an opponent without regard for strategy. Damage Caps are generally between 25% and 40%. Playing without a damage cap is possible, but is not recommended.

Banned/Restricted Moves: Moves that cannot be played or are restricted in this battle. This can be dependent on the arena conditions - for example, banning weather-based moves in an enclosed arena - or in the interest of fair play or the challenger’s preferences. One-hit knockout moves (OHKOs) and direct recovery moves (such as Roost or Recover) are often banned. Chills are also generally restricted on how many can be used by each Pokémon.

Arena Description: What kind of arena are you battling in? This can range from something very simple to something incredibly complex. The arena should be described in detail, including information like the size of the arena and what effects the arena has on the battlers. For example, if your battle takes place in a forest where trees can be knocked down on opponents, you need to define what kind of attacks can do that, and how much damage would be dealt.

Additional Rules: Any other restrictions or notes should go in here, like if abilities should be ignored, if only baby Pokémon are allowed, if Pokémon heavier than 200kg are banned, etc.

You can also define whether you’re challenging a particular person or not, to prevent someone else from accepting your challenge. It’s usually a good idea to message the person you’re challenging as well, to make sure they notice. Generally, challenges are open to anyone.

Here is an example of a challenge:

ultraviolet said:
This is a challenge for Music Dragon!
Format: 4 vs 4, single
Style: Switch
DQ: Two weeks
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Chills 3/Pokemon
Arena Description: Tiny Island
This small island is only the size of a tennis court, covered in soft white sand and dotted with a few coconut trees. The island is surrounded by a cool, blue ocean. Buoys are marked around the island 100m from the shore, and mark the arena's boundary. It's a clear, warm day, and Sunny Day is in effect.
Additional Rules: Coconuts can be thrown at an opponent for 2% typeless damage, but they first need to be acquired by either spending an action shaking or climbing to the top of a tree.

You can use this template to make your own challenge, if you wish:
Code:
[PLAIN]
[b]Format:[/b]
[b]Style:[/b]
[b]DQ:[/b]
[b]Damage Cap:[/b]
[b]Banned/Restricted Moves:[/b]
[b]Arena Description:[/b]
[b]Additional Rules:[/b][/PLAIN]

Accepting a Challenge
Once you’ve posted your challenge, it will be added to the second post in this thread under ‘Open Challenges’, until someone comes along and accepts it. To accept a challenge, you should quote the original post and accept the challenge. There is no need to post your profile link anymore, as ASB profile links now appear in the postbit.

When your challenge has been accepted, it will be added into the second post, under 'Challenges Needing Referees'. This is where it will wait until a referee decides to take the battle and make a new thread for it. Do not complain if a referee has not taken your battle; everyone has to wait for battles to get taken, and this is probably going to make it less likely for a referee to take your battle.

Most battlers may only have a maximum of three battles and challenges at a time, while active referees may have a maximum of four.

Battles will remain here for a month before being taken down if a referee has not taken it. If both battlers are still willing, they can repost the battle where it will stay up for another month; if a referee still has not taken the battle, it will be removed regardless of common interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been waiting for this moment.

Format: 1 vs 1 vs 1, Singles
Style: Set
DQ: 7 days, which is quite merciful considering that you literally just have to post instead of actually coming up with commands
Damage Cap: 32%
Banned/Restricted Moves: All moves but Metronome
Arena Description: Classic Metronome
After a painful destruction and a grueling reconstruction, Asber is back on hinges and bustling as ever. However, for its own good, one must subject one's work to harsh tests rather than soft ones... So, can the new and improved Asber take the same licking that its fine students have unleashed upon major cities all around the world? There's only one way to find out. From the cutting-edge modernity in the buildings where the new ASB Database is stored, to abandoned and decriept ruins such as that of the Pokémon Registration Office, nothing is safe from total annihilation -- if only the gods of random numbers shall permit it to occour.
Additional Rules: Only Pokémon who can learn the move Metronome are admissible for this battle. Pokémon need not be in the active squad to be chosen for this battle and can be sent out from the PC instead. Essentially, each participant's custom active squad for this match is consisted of all of their Metronome-using Pokémon. All Pokémon in battle will have their Energy count restored to 100% at the end of each round. Also, no experience or money will be awarded to the participants of this battle -- no rewards but the satisfaction of wrecking some good old-fashioned chaos! (All referee rewards are as regular, however)
Profile Link

Last edited:
YES I AM STILL THE FIRST. TIME FOR MY DREAM TO COME TRUE. GOD DAMMIT ZHORKEN YOU LOSER WITH THE RIDICULOUS AVATAR. THAT SECOND POST WAS MINE :'(

Format: 2 vs. 2 double
Style: set
DQ: 5 years (or maybe 7 days, whichever comes first)
Damage Cap: 49%
Arena Description: We are battling on a giant motherfucking PIZZA sailing through the motherfucking GALAXY. Inspired by my dream of ASB reopening, which was probably inspired by Kratos. idk what happens if you fall off, somebody else decide lol it is up to the ref but some ideas are instant KO, instant damage up to the damage cap, instant massive damage ignoring the cap, or less damage and losing an entire round as they teleport back to the pizza (at minimum). You can't eat the pizza because it has anchovies on it and that's just gross, but something like a large boulder or a Draco Meteor could totally blow a hole in it. Flying types and hovering things are just as susceptible to falling off the pizza as anybody else, but can fly and hover normally while on it, because anime physics or something.
Banned/Restricted Moves: idk man I just want to battle on a giant pizza OHKOs are banned. Direct recovery and chills are okay, with the caveat that a Pokémon is much more susceptible to being horribly knocked around (for example SHOVED OFF THE PIZZA OH NO) in the action while using them. Any move that requires outside resources can work given that the user can find a way to make it work using the pizza and things that could feasibly be pizza toppings (so if you want a slice of tomato, say so and giant pizza's got your back, but you're not going to be able to find water anywhere. but perhaps you could make surf work with a wave of molten cheese :o)
Additional Rules: Only unevolved Pokémon that have yet to evolve are allowed to behold the majesty of this gigantic pizza. I will be using Pepper (Wingull) and Wheelbarrow Dumpling or something (Swinub). Superbird will be using Houndour and Rufflet.
Profile link: I'm number 1!

Last edited:
idk why you guys are fighting over first challenge when my challenge is literally in the first post

ultraviolet said:
This is a challenge for Music Dragon!
Format: 4 vs 4, single
Style: Switch
DQ: Two weeks
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Chills 3/Pokemon
Arena Description: Tiny Island
This small island is only the size of a tennis court, covered in soft white sand and dotted with a few coconut trees. The island is surrounded by a cool, blue ocean. Buoys are marked around the island 100m from the shore, and mark the arena's boundary. It's a clear, warm day, and Sunny Day is in effect.
Additional Rules: Coconuts can be thrown at an opponent for 2% typeless damage, but they first need to be acquired by either spending an action shaking or climbing to the top of a tree.
Profile link: here

Last edited:
YES I AM STILL THE FIRST. TIME FOR MY DREAM TO COME TRUE. GOD DAMMIT ZHORKEN YOU LOSER WITH THE RIDICULOUS AVATAR. THAT SECOND POST WAS MINE :'(

Format: 2 vs. 2 double
Style: set (not that it matters...)
DQ: whatever
Damage Cap: whatever
Banned/Restricted Moves: idk man I just want to battle on a giant pizza
Arena Description: We are battling on a giant motherfucking PIZZA sailing through the motherfucking GALAXY. Inspired by my dream of ASB reopening, which was probably inspired by Kratos. idk what happens if you fall off, somebody else decide lol
Profile link: I'll add this when I get home

If I may, I think I will take this challenge. How large is the pizza, by the way?

Format: 3 v. 3, single
DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: 25% i guess idk man
Banned/Restricted Moves: idk nothing i guess
Arena Description: The brand-spanking newly renovated ASB forums look nice, right?

Let's fix that.

Battle on the ASB forum. Make sure not to accidentally step on a link or something.
Profile link: Here

If I may, I think I will take this challenge. How large is the pizza, by the way?

I haven't actually thought this through... relatively large compared to the battling Pokémon? If I have a puppy in the center maybe it's like... fifteen puppy-lengths in radius or something idk. Also you can't eat the pizza because it has anchovies and that's just gross, but like a large boulder or a Draco Meteor or something could totally blow a hole in the pizza or something.

I added my profile link to my original post! Do you have any preferences for DQ time or damage cap? Also for falling off the pizza, do you want it to be like, instant KO, instant damage up to the cap, more minor damage but the Pokémon that fell misses an entire round, something else? (Flying and hovering things are not exempt from falling p.s.)

Also, would you be okay with choosing our teams in advance to agree on a fair matchup? :o I just want to have a fun battle on a pizza without type advantages being like a huge factor or anything.

Iiii apparently need to add an option to the Database's battle thing to support matches with custom squads.

Whoever ends up reffing Metallica Fanboy's thing: ping me before you start and I'll sort that out.

Eifie & Superbird: If you do end up picking Pokémon beforehand, please make sure those Pokémon are in your squad when the battle is opened.

Iiii apparently need to add an option to the Database's battle thing to support matches with custom squads.

Whoever ends up reffing Metallica Fanboy's thing: ping me before you start and I'll sort that out.

Eifie & Superbird: If you do end up picking Pokémon beforehand, please make sure those Pokémon are in your squad when the battle is opened.
Hmm, isn't it possible to handle these things informally? It's the way I presumed my challenge would be handled, at least.

Mm. Yeah, you're right, it doesn't involve any prizes and should be kept out of win/loss tallies, so just handle that one off the record. (Eifie and Superbird: what I said still stands.)

I haven't actually thought this through... relatively large compared to the battling Pokémon? If I have a puppy in the center maybe it's like... fifteen puppy-lengths in radius or something idk. Also you can't eat the pizza because it has anchovies and that's just gross, but like a large boulder or a Draco Meteor or something could totally blow a hole in the pizza or something.
Where on the map would one get a large boulder, exactly? Can we assume the anchovies can serve as rocks in a pinch?

I added my profile link to my original post! Do you have any preferences for DQ time or damage cap? Also for falling off the pizza, do you want it to be like, instant KO, instant damage up to the cap, more minor damage but the Pokémon that fell misses an entire round, something else? (Flying and hovering things are not exempt from falling p.s.)
Whatever you're most comfortable with, although missing a round should probably be the minimum possible penalty.

Also, would you be okay with choosing our teams in advance to agree on a fair matchup? :o I just want to have a fun battle on a pizza without type advantages being like a huge factor or anything.
Not at all.

Format: 3 v. 3, single
DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: 25% i guess idk man
Banned/Restricted Moves: idk nothing i guess
Arena Description: The brand-spanking newly renovated ASB forums look nice, right?

Let's fix that.

Battle on the ASB forum. Make sure not to accidentally step on a link or something.
Profile link: Here
I'll take you on! Here's my stuff.

Where on the map would one get a large boulder, exactly? Can we assume the anchovies can serve as rocks in a pinch?

Oh. I don't actually know, I just sort of pulled that out of nowhere. We could totally go with that, though.

Whatever you're most comfortable with, although missing a round should probably be the minimum possible penalty.

Let's just leave that up to the ref, then.

Not at all.

:'( I assume you read my question wrong, like "would you have a problem with..." instead of "would you be okay with..." otherwise I feel totally snubbed lol

:'( I assume you read my question wrong, like "would you have a problem with..." instead of "would you be okay with..." otherwise I feel totally snubbed lol

Oh, no, I meant "Not at all" as in "totally fine with that". Sorry about that!

I've been waiting for this moment.

DQ: 7 days, which is quite merciful considering that you literally just have to post instead of actually coming up with commands
After a painful destruction and a grueling reconstruction, Asber is back on hinges and bustling as ever. However, for its own good, one must subject one's work to harsh tests rather than soft ones... So, can the new and improved Asber take the same licking that its fine students have unleashed upon major cities all around the world? There's only one way to find out. From the cutting-edge modernity in the buildings where the new ASB Database is stored, to abandoned and decriept ruins such as that of the Pokémon Registration Office, nothing is safe from total annihilation -- if only the gods of random numbers shall permit it to occour.
Additional Rules: Only Pokémon who can learn the move Metronome are admissible for this battle. Pokémon need not be in the active squad to be chosen for this battle and can be sent out from the PC instead. Essentially, each participant's custom active squad for this match is consisted of all of their Metronome-using Pokémon. All Pokémon in battle will have their Energy count restored to 100% at the end of each round. Also, no experience or money will be awarded to the participants of this battle -- no rewards but the satisfaction of wrecking some good old-fashioned chaos! (All referee rewards are as regular, however)
Profile Link

I would like to take up one of those spots. Here's my profile!

Last edited:
Oh, no, I meant "Not at all" as in "totally fine with that". Sorry about that!

Cool cool :D I would like to use my Wingull and Swinub! Since my team is full of helpless little babies, could I request unevolved Pokémon only and all Pokémon will have 0 experience for the purposes of damage calculation? (as it turns out none of your unevolved things have <4 exp anyway so it's a moot point)

Once you pick your things I will update my first post with our teams (feel free to change your mind before the battle starts though) and some arbitrary DQ time and stuff, and a few more details about the arena.

Hoo boy, it's been a while.

Format: 3v3 single
DQ: 10 days
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, Moves requiring a large body of water.
Arena Description: Arena Ferox - A large colosseum with ample room for even the largest of pokemon. The arena is circular, and is surrounded on all sides by walls of cheering Feroxi.

Additional Rules: To spice things up, pokemon in this battle can be paired up, similar to the support system in Fire Emblem Awakening. The pokemon currently on the field is the active pokemon, and at the cost of forgoing a round of actions the active pokemon can be paired with one of the remaining secondary pokemon. Secondary pokemon do not battle, do not lose energy, cannot be targeted, and instead have a 40% chance to perform a support action that round.

If the support pokemon acts during a round, there is a 25% chance that the pokemon will perform a guard action, halving the damage that the active pokemon takes over the course of the round. In return, the support pokemon will take 5% typeless damage.

The remaining 75% of the time, the support pokemon will perform an attack action, which replaces the last commanded action its trainer gives that round. The attack acts similar to assist, and is a random damage-dealing or status-inflicting move from the support pokemon's movepool.

If the active pokemon is knocked out, then the support pokemon becomes the new active pokemon. Additionally, although the support pokemon cannot be targeted, moves that encompass a wide area of affect have a 50% chance to inflict 5% typeless damage to a support pokemon.

Support pokemon cannot be switched out or unpaired once they have been sent out.

Profile Link: here

Last edited:
Hm! I want to participate in a ~GRAND OPENING BATTLE~ but I don't feel like thinking. Sounds like this is riiight up my alley. Le profile. Let's destroy some shit.

EDIT: gee forum thanks for not quoting the post even though I totally hit quote.

Profile Link

Back
Top Bottom