• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Metallica Fanboy vs Sandstone-Shadow

Horsea, I think we've got enough raw strength yet to take a few risks. Start off with a 10% Substitute to soak up those Signal Beams, and since your health will be under 50% then as well, steal his idea and use Brine. End with another Dragon Pulse. If you can't hit him, just Chill.

10% Substitute ~ Brine/Chill ~ Dragon Pulse/Chill

Round Twelve

Metallica Fanboy
Piplup
Glorisus ♂ @ Custap Berry
Ability: Defiant
Health: 44%
Energy: 44%
Status: Becrying his bad luck. Surrounded by Aqua Ring (1% recovery/action).

Sandstone-Shadow
Horsea
Horsea ♀ @ Scope Lens
Ability: Swift Swim
Health: 50%
Energy: 31%
Status: Smirking to herself, dramatically wreathed in the Flames of Rage. Pumped up. -1 Attack, -1 Special Attack, +1 Speed.

------------------------------​

As Horsea basks in her recent success, the Flames of Rage surrounding her grow dramatically larger, a portion of them solidifying in front of her into a FIERY STEED. She boops her fiery steed with her snout, transferring some of her own life energy into it as she christens it SIR FIERY STEED OF RAGE AND DEATH. SIR FIERY STEED OF RAGE AND DEATH snorts and tosses its head as it stares down its opponent, and Glorisus's hurried Signal Beam retaliation is no match for its raging flames. Sure, it visibly shrinks in size as the coloured lights strike it, but SIR FIERY STEED OF RAGE AND DEATH shall not be stopped!

With an approving nod at SIR FIERY STEED OF RAGE AND DEATH, Horsea takes a deep breath and unleashes her own concoction of liquid death from her snout, a torrent of seawater infused with a mixture of her very own sweat and tears. That'll show her opponent, right? Glorisus squawks in surprise as the salt soaks his many wounds, stinging painfully even after his sleek, waterproof feathers have done their very best to repel the attack. The repeated attacks are really taking their toll on him, and it's with a very concerted effort that he looks up at his opponent yet to unleash his most devastating weapon yet... another Signal Beam. SIR FIERY STEED OF RAGE AND DEATH smirks at the boring old attack coming its way, but alas, even its Flames of Rage are not enough to withstand TWO mighty Signal Beams. And so its flames pathetically sputter out, and Horsea begins to wail in despair. Her anguish takes the form of a now-familiar stream of green draconic flame, painfully singeing Glorisus's feathers despite his innate resistance to fire as he hurriedly gulps down his Custap Berry in response. In fact, a flicker of flame remains on his tail, and he begins scrambling about the deck in an attempt to put it out, squawking in unrestrained panic, aided by a temporary speed boost from his berry. Horsea giggles to herself as Glorisus trips awkwardly over one of his own stealth rocks, but as his mad dash comes to an end, the Piplup's feathers are sleeker than ever, his muscles warmed up and ready to go.

Metallica Fanboy
Piplup
Glorisus@ Custap Berry
Health: 30%
Energy: 34%
Status: Panting slightly from his desperate sprint. First in his priority bracket for the next action. Surrounded by Aqua Ring (1% recovery/action). +2 Speed.
Used: Signal Beam ~ Signal Beam ~ Agility

Sandstone-Shadow
Horsea
Horsea ♀ @ Scope Lens
Health: 40%
Energy: 15%
Status: Starting to get really tired... Pumped up. -1 Attack, -1 Special Attack, +1 Speed.
Used: Substitute (10%) ~ Brine ~ Dragon Pulse

Arena Status
  • Glorisus and Horsea are on the upper deck.
  • A ring of Stealth Rocks is floating a couple of feet away from the battlers.
  • There is a large, elongated, smoking crater in the center of the upper deck, through which the lower deck is visible. The floor of the lower deck is covered in various bits of detritus from the destroyed deck above.

Damage and Energy
  • Glorisus's Health: 44% - 10% (Brine) - 7% (Dragon Pulse) + 3% (Aqua Ring) = 30%
  • Glorisus's Energy: 44% - 4% (Signal Beam) - 4% (Signal Beam) - 2% (Agility) = 34%
  • Horsea's Health: 50% - 10% (Substitute) = 40%
  • Horsea's Substitute: 10% - 7% (Signal Beam) - 7% (Signal Beam) = 0%
  • Horsea's Energy: 31% - 5% (Substitute) - 7% (Brine) - 4% (Dragon Pulse) = 15%

Notes
  • blugh. sorry this is potentially my like one free moment before this weekend so here you go, I guess
  • Speed order: Horsea (90) > Glorisus (80).
  • Glorisus ate his Custap Berry upon being hit by Dragon Pulse. It... doesn't really make sense, because that was immediately before his action, so the berry was completely useless. What is even the point of this berry? pls advise
  • idk if a Pokémon is immune to its own Stealth Rocks or what... if not, I rolled for it and Glorisus ran into some while streaking uncontrollably around the deck, but who knows how Stealth Rocks actually work...
  • Sandstone-Shadow commands first.

Last edited:
  • Glorisus ate his Custap Berry upon being hit by Dragon Pulse. It... doesn't really make sense, because that was immediately before his action, so the berry was completely useless. What is even the point of this berry? pls advise
It affects the Pokémon's move in the next action, not the Pokémon's next move. I guess that's not very clear in the ASB description, though...

It affects the Pokémon's move in the next action, not the Pokémon's next move. I guess that's not very clear in the ASB description, though...

Okay, I'll edit Glorisus's status to reflect that, then. By the way, is he immune to his own Stealth Rocks?

Okay, I'll edit Glorisus's status to reflect that, then. By the way, is he immune to his own Stealth Rocks?
It's not established (afaik) and "while it potentially benefits me in a battle" is probably not a good time for me to establish it, but even if he isn't immune, it should be much less usual for him to trip the Stealth Rock than it'd be for his opponent.

It's not established (afaik) and "while it potentially benefits me in a battle" is probably not a good time for me to establish it, but even if he isn't immune, it should be much less usual for him to trip the Stealth Rock than it'd be for his opponent.

Yeah, he rolled really really low. We can leave it out for now, I guess.

Nice work, Horsea! Now just a little more.

First of all, you've earned a good Chill. Then, if you've got an opportunity to hit him, use Brine again or Swift if there are clones, substitutes, or he's out of range of Brine. Chill if you can't hit him at all.

If you've chilled once and attacked once, Chill again in the last action. If you've chilled for two actions, use Brine/Swift again.

Chill ~ Brine/Swift/Chill ~ Chill/Brine/Swift

yay for boring commands - school takes all the time for fun things :(

Hmmmm. I could swear you could learn Encore, Glorisus. That'd have been splendid. Oh, well. I could be issuing some awful tricky commands, but, I could also just take advantage of my Energy lead and go all out, even if the resulting reffing is going to be awful.

Brine ~ Brine ~ Brine

(what are you talking about MF, the reffing was already going to be awful)

Round Thirteen

Metallica Fanboy
Piplup
Glorisus@ Custap Berry
Health: 30%
Energy: 34%
Status: Panting slightly from his desperate sprint. First in his priority bracket for the next action. Surrounded by Aqua Ring (1% recovery/action). +2 Speed.

Sandstone-Shadow
Horsea
Horsea ♀ @ Scope Lens
Health: 40%
Energy: 15%
Status: Starting to get really tired... Pumped up. -1 Attack, -1 Special Attack, +1 Speed.

Glorisus's gloriously sleek feathers GLISTEN GLORIOUSLY as he begins to spout out an unending torrent of salty water from his beak. Apparently his internal water reservoir just never empties, and he just keeps going... and going...

Horsea screams as the Glorisus fountain strikes her, the salty water painfully flushing out her many wounds. Unfortunately she's just too exhausted to retaliate, and all she can do is lie awkwardly on her belly on the deck, eyes screwed shut as she attempts to recover some of her energy while being doused with her opponent's salty mixture of what she hopes is not his own sweat and tears, because that would be gross. An almost-as-gross mixture of salty water and clumpy wet feathers pools on the ground behind her as the attack cleanses her of all impurities, but Horsea is simply in too much pain to even notice. Desperately she retaliates with a blast of salty water of her own, but she can only keep it up for a little while as the Glorisus fountain just refuses to stop. Unable to take much more of this tortue, Horsea resigns herself to curling up in the tiniest horsey ball she can manage, riding out the storm as she takes a few deep breaths to steel herself for the next round.

Metallica Fanboy
Piplup
Glorisus
Health: 20%
Energy: 13%
Status: Gurgling. His Glorisus fountain is starting to run out... Surrounded by Aqua Ring (1% recovery/action). 7 Chills remaining. +2 Speed.
Used: Brine ~ Brine ~ Brine

Sandstone-Shadow
Horsea
Horsea ♀ @ Scope Lens
Health: 10%
Energy: 28%
Status: Sobbing quietly into the gross mixture of feathers on the ground. Pumped up. 5 Chills remaining. +1 Attack, +1 Speed.
Used: Chill ~ Brine ~ Chill

Arena Status
  • There is a large, elongated, smoking crater in the center of the upper deck, through which the lower deck is visible. The floor of the lower deck is covered in various bits of detritus from the destroyed deck above.

Damage and Energy
  • Glorisus's Health: 30% - 13% (Brine) + 3% (Aqua Ring) = 20%
  • Glorisus's Energy: 34% - 7% (Brine) - 7% (Brine) - 7% (Brine) = 13%
  • Horsea's Health: 40% - 10% (Brine) - 10% (Brine) - 10% (Brine) = 10%
  • Horsea's Energy: 15% + 10% (Chill) - 7% (Brine) + 10% (Chill) = 28%

Notes
  • Speed order: Horsea (90) > Glorisus (80).
  • (lmao I hate you both and am not even trying)
  • Horsea's Brine was a critical hit. The thing for how critical hits works is that the damage is determined from the unmodified base power of the attack, which I think is just supposed to emphasize that it's not affected by abilities and such that affect base power, but it does take into account the doubling by Brine. Strictly by how it's worded, though, the damage is determined by the regular 65 base power for Brine, so I guess I have to do that...
  • I think it's safe to say that Horsea is no longer captivated by her opponent, heheh... and also that all this water should have washed away all the feathers covering her, yeah? Maybe I should have paid attention to this before, but tbh I was too tired. It didn't make any difference this round, anyway, but yeah, stat drops are nullified now.
  • Metallica Fanboy commands first.

Good going, Glorisus. Now, we stall 'til the time is right to finish it.

Open up wide and Yawn. If they Protect against it or flinch you, try again. Once it's worked, Protect for a spell, and if you still have an action, Chill.

If they use Double Team or Smokescreen at any point, abandon current commands and spam Aerial Ace for a glorious punish. If you're hit by Swagger, try a Drill Peck if it's the first action, stick to the plan otherwise. If the enemy starts Bouncing, do not attack until they've stopped.

Yawn/Aerial Ace/Drill Peck ~ Protect/Yawn/Aerial Ace ~ Chill/Protect/Aerial Ace

Okay Horsea, almost there! Avoid the Yawn and trigger Aerial Ace with a Smokescreen, then use Flail. If you're still standing, use Flail again. This may or may not end in our favor, but I have a feeling the longer it goes on, the less likely it will end well for us. You've put up a fantastic fight; let's go one more round and finish this thing!

Smokescreen ~ Flail ~ Flail

<3 Sandstone-Shadow (I hope you didn't actually take my post that seriously, though; I would've been perfectly willing to write another round after The Great Stall.)

Round Fourteen

Metallica Fanboy
Piplup
Glorisus
Health: 20%
Energy: 13%
Status: Gurgling. His Glorisus fountain is starting to run out... Surrounded by Aqua Ring (1% recovery/action). 7 Chills remaining. +2 Speed.

Sandstone-Shadow
Horsea
Horsea ♀ @ Scope Lens
Health: 10%
Energy: 28%
Status: Sobbing quietly into the gross mixture of feathers on the ground. Pumped up. 5 Chills remaining. +1 Attack, +1 Speed.

Horsea cannot stand any more of this dreaded seawater. Even her aquatic seahorsey self is sick of it! Clearly some evasion tactics are in order, so she takes a deep breath and... honks. A small puff of black smoke floats out from her snout. Dissatisfied, Horsea honks again, loud enough to be heard miles over the ocean, and this time an enormous cloud of inky blackness erupts from her snout, settling over the deck to force Glorisus into an undignified coughing fit even as it obscures his vision. Rubbing his eyes, the Piplup streaks forward at top speed, cutting a path through the smoke as he rushes his opponent. Sternly he pecks the helpless Horsea in the side with his beak as punishment, and god, Horsea has just had enough. Screaming at the top of her lungs, she desperately begins to flail her tiny body haphazardly about, slamming into her opponent with her snout, her tail, her tiny back fin... Even as her voice begins to waver, Horsea refuses to stop. Stubbornly she vents all the fury of the Flames of Rage and the Winds of Discontent against her opponent, every last bit of it, and at the end Glorisus lies unconscious, faceplanted on the surface of the deck for none to see, as black smoke still obscures the battlers and their surroundings.

Metallica Fanboy
Piplup
Glorisus
Health: 0%
Energy: 9%
Used: Aerial Ace ~ nothing

Sandstone-Shadow
Horsea
Horsea ♀ @ Scope Lens
Health: 4%
Energy: 16%
Used: Smokescreen ~ Flail

Arena Status

Damage and Energy
  • Glorisus's Health: 20% + 1% (Aqua Ring) - 21% (Flail) = 0%
  • Glorisus's Energy: 13% - 4% (Aerial Ace) = 9%
  • Horsea's Health: 10% - 6% (Aerial Ace) = 4%
  • Horsea's Energy: 28% - 1% (Smokescreen) - 11% (Flail) = 16%

Notes
  • Since Horsea regained her Attack boost, her Flail did exactly enough damage to knock Glorisus out after he'd regained a bit of health from his Aqua Ring. Damn, this battle was close. (If I made a mistake... please let me know, haha.)
  • (Horsea probably would have hit herself on the Stealth Rocks while flailing about, but since they only do 2% damage, I didn't bother figuring any of that out. Bring it up if it's important, though.)
  • And with that heartstopping finish (too bad we can't nominate this for Nail-Biter of the Year now), Sandstone-Shadow is the winner! She gets $16 and 2 exp and happiness each for Bulbasaur and Horsea. Metallica Fanboy gets $8, 1 exp for Reaper, and 2 exp for Glorisus, both of whom can now evolve.
  • Thanks for a (mostly :p) great battle, you two! I hope my hastily-put-together reffings at the end were not too much of a detriment to your enjoyment of the battle. :(

Tch, that was a good move. Should've used Icy Wind when I had the chance... Oh well. It's been a really fun match, and I got everything I wanted, EXPwise. Thanks for putting on such a good fight, Sandstone-Shadow, and thanks for reffing, Eifie.

<3 Sandstone-Shadow (I hope you didn't actually take my post that seriously, though; I would've been perfectly willing to write another round after The Great Stall.)
Haha nah, I didn't have enough brainpower to come up with less blunt commands xD

Good game, MF! Thanks for the great fight as well! That was really fun, and a great re-introduction to ASB. I think I'm around to stay for a good while. Thanks for reffing, Eifie!

Back
Top Bottom