• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

R/S/E Mew/Celebi Glitch Discovered in Emerald

Autumn

bye
Pronoun
she
How fitting that mere days after ORAS' announcement, a large glitch in Emerald is discovered! I don't really understand it, so check out this for more details.

It says you have to log in to see it... is it the same thing as this video?

I'm currently on a quest to complete my Emerald Pokédex, and had just resigned to not being able to get Mew, Celebi, etc. so this would actually be super exciting!

Yes, same video. Here's the description from the thread (which I didn't realize was members-only):

The deliciously ironic explanation:
- Uniquely, the Generation III Pokemon games feature something known as DMA (dynamic memory allocation), which in a nutshell means that various important data structures are shuffled around in the game's memory so that it is much harder to make cheat codes that change these structures. One such structure is, as expected, the Pokemon data; this means that all the statistics of a Pokemon aren't stored in a fixed order but rather in one of 24 possible orders depending on its personality value. What the glitch does is essentially make the game accidentally read a Pokemon's data using the wrong such order, causing, in this particular example, the Pokemon's first move and its species to be switched. The video above shows a Makuhita (species #335) whose first move is Rock Smash (move #249) being changed into a Lugia (species #249) whose first move is Block (move #335). Essentially, Game Freak's own anti-cheating mechanism is what made all of this possible.

What causes this glitch in the first place is a long string of various other minor exploits, so you can't really credit any one person for discovering the entire thing, although credit goes to Werster (the uploader of the above video) for first figuring out the mechanics of the last crucial part:
- The Pomeg Glitch starts the whole thing and is the reason it's Emerald-exclusive: getting a Pokemon to "-1 HP" and then using a healing item to bring it to 0 can leave you with no Pokemon able to battle, yet you won't white out since the game never checks for the white out condition upon using a healing item. This particular exploit has been known for years.
- Now when you enter a battle, you will send out ?????????? (this part has also been known for a while). From here, this somehow screws up your end-of-party markers while it's out (I'm not at all sure how accurate that last part is, but it superficially sounds similar to the bad clone glitch in Gen II); at this time, you can enter your party screen in battle and scroll beyond the sixth slot. (This piece of the exploit was only discovered very recently.)
- The game is programmed to highlight various areas on the screen depending on which slot you've scrolled to; but if you scroll to an invalid slot(s) the game will attempt to "highlight" memory areas that don't actually correspond to screen data (i.e. memory corruption). In particular, the majority of the corrupted area is your box data (so this glitch WILL completely destroy your entire boxes), turning a lot of your boxed Pokemon into Bad Eggs or other strange results.
- This last part is not fully understood yet, but after a bunch of tries Werster manages to turn Makuhita's shuffled statistics into a regular Egg instead of a Bad Egg (he used the cloning glitch to place a whole bunch of the same Makuhita all over the boxes in the hope that one of them would turn out this way). Hatch that Egg, and boom, Lugia.

More info:
- Since there aren't enough moves in the game, currently Jirachi and Deoxys cannot be obtained through the same method. However, as Werster suggests in the video, the move<->species swap isn't the only possible one; he states that he earlier pulled off a held item<->EVs swap, meaning that a similar EVs<->species swap is theoretically possible. Since there is no limit to EVs in terms of binary data, you could manage to get any species between #0 and #65535 with this particular swap.

That's pretty cool! It's really tempting to go try it now... I wonder if there's a way to control which boxes get turned into Bad Eggs, though. I'd hate to destroy all of my Pokémon trying it, hehe.

I love it when glitches like this get discovered ages after the game's release.

Back
Top Bottom