• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Semi-Competitive Team Help

Vipera Magnifica

Aquatic Artiste
Pronoun
he/him
I've been using this team mostly to battle friends, and it has served me rather well. However, I acknowledge that it's far from a perfect team. While I'm not exactly entering tournaments with this team, I thought maybe someone with more competitive experience may give some quick ideas and suggestions as to how I should change it.

fyi, this is a pre-existing team, so don't suggest something like "put such and such egg move on garchomp" or anything that would require me to breed them all over again.

Bueller the Ferrothorn
Relaxed / Iron Barbs / Rocky Helmet
Stealth Rock
Spikes
Power Whip
Gyro Ball
Notes: I actually might try breeding another Ferrothorn. iirc, this one only has 3 perfect ivs, and maybe I could replace either Spikes or SR with Leech Seed.

Eridan the Vaporeon
Bold / Water Absorb / Leftovers
Wish
Protect
Scald
Ice Beam
Notes: Perhaps the most useful 'mon on my team. He's a fantastic wall that even handles Mega Blaziken with ease.

Flinchlord the Togekiss
Calm / Serene Grace / Sky Plate
Air Slash
Aura Sphere
Thunder Wave
Roost
Notes: Bulky Special Attacker. What can I say? I never really moved on from the Gen 4 metagame.

Gorbachev the Chansey
Bold / Natural Cure / Eviolite
Soft-Boiled
Aromatherapy
Toxic
Seismic Toss
Notes: Not even titans can break through this wall.

PsychoMantis the Scizor
Adamant / Technician / Choice Band
Bullet Punch
U-turn
Brick Break
Pursuit
Note: Pretty great at what it does. If there were some way to give it Superpower instead of Brick Break, I would do that though. Maybe there'll be a move tutor in OR/AS?

Nemesis the Garchomp
Jolly / Rough Skin / Yache Berry
Swords Dance
Outrage
Earthquake
Fire Fang
Note: Fantastic physical sweeper. Great at taking down Aegislash.

That's my team as it currently stands. I also have a shiny AgiliGross and a Scarfed Rotom-W on standby for this team.

Should I maybe swap Togekiss for a Chandelure? It's typing would work great on my team, and I could use some Special Attack power. Also, it it isn't obvious by now, I don't have a Mega on my team. Is there one that I should use that would fit in well with my team dynamics?

I'd stick with Togekiss, 'cause it's always useful for blocking full force outrages from Dragonite and Garchomp. Definitely go for leech seed on Ferrothorn, I've used it on mine and it really helps with its longevity, plus it's good for forcing switches. I'd go for stealth rock over spikes since it's easier to set up and badly cripples stuff like mega Charizard Y.

I actually have a couple of 4IV Ferroseeds with stealth rock and leech seed lying around if you're interested. (they're sassy nature.)

Only recently gotten into any sort competitive battling, so not too much constructive criticism. I will say that I've trained up a Ferrothorn of my own. Running Leech Seed, Thunder Wave, Spikes (gonna breed again for Stealth Rock) and Power Whip. I've found Thunder Wave very useful in crippling speedsters and Scarfers, especially since Ferrothorn can take hits or force predictable switching in the process.

Ferrothorn
Sassy / Iron Barbs @ Rocky Helmet
252 HP / 128 DEF / 128 S.DEF
(evens out defenses at 167 [Lv50] for a nice mixed wall with only one glaring weakness)
Leech Seed / Thunder Wave / Stealth Rock / Power Whip​

Back
Top Bottom