• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Child Discipline

Spanking is for parents who can't control their emotions and have no authority over their kids and thus resort to force to keep them in line. If you have to resort to spanking, you're doing something else wrong first in the parenting.

That's why dictatorships spawn rebels and democracies spawn customers.

Okay, something happened today that completely changed my viewpoint on this, and I thought "I ought to put it in the thread."

So, we had a nice, two hour drive to my aunts house today. I was playing Animal Crossing, when my three year old brother bolts awake, instantly crying. This isn't a typical cry, though-- it sounded like he had been shot. It was a terrible cry. I actually shuddered. We couldn't calm him down-- his sobbing didn't deter even a little. My dad was honestly scared, and frantically asked, "Why are you crying?" My brother said something indecipherable and we let him cry it out for a bit. When at last he was done, we asked why he was crying. He had apparently wet himself in his sleep, and was crying because he didn't want to usual consequence that came with it. My baby brother had screamed bloody murder in fear of getting spanked.

In my personal opinion, physical discipline of any kind is an act of bullying. A parent who hits their children may think they are doing what is right and proper by attacking their children, but in actual fact, the message they are sending out is that is is all right to beat people up if they displease you. Spanking is about the powerful dominating the vulnerable through force and intimidation: rather than promoting dialogue and debate, it promotes fear and hatred.

I have never been spanked, and I am glad of it. My parents and I share a close, loving bond in which violence has no place. If I was regularly beaten, not only would I live in fear of my parents, I may have forcefully retaliated and made the situation much worse, or ended up as a juvenile delinquent. To that purpose, I believe anybody who spanks their children should either be spanked themselves by a much larger and stronger police officer in order to teach them a lesson, or simply sent to prison. Thank you for your attention.

I was spanked as a child, and while it didn't cause me any permanent scars, I still remember the fear that I had whenever I knew I had one coming. In my opinion, there are punishments such as time-outs or losing privileges that get the lesson to a child more effectively than corporal punishment.

Whilst I do not remember being spanked much at all, I very much remember being yelled at and that honestly screwed me up. Sometimes even for things when I was apparently too quiet so I ended up yelling since "quiet" was my regular speaking voice. I don't know if yelling and spanking can truly be compared, but both certainly are frightening and are forms of discipline and I still shut down mentally if someone yells at me and I'm dead afraid to speak out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom