• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Your name in Japanese

You know what I wonder? Why exactly does a link to some javascript application that just takes an English name and spits out a "transliteration"" that is usually incorrect, and if it is correct, if pronounced correctly will probably sound almost exactly like the English name, albeit with an accent gets SIX PAGES. It's like saying that taking a name and replacing every "y" with a "ie" makes it different somehow. It doesn't.

[/rant]
Because TCoD is full of weeaboos.

I'm going to restrain myself and stop correcting you dumbasses who have paid no heed to my corrections and rants. If you can't be fucked to read what a REAL JAPANESE PERSON has to say about these "transhiterators", then you must not give a fuck about this at all.

Ehh, I'm pretty sure it would come up with sarasu or something and I can't be bothered to check. Even though it would ACTUALLY BE shirasu phonetically.

Yeah, I hate these translation things. GUYS, THIS IS NOT YOUR NAME IN JAPANESE. I love how the Japanese use a whole different alphabet for foreigners trying to write their name. XD

Oh and my real name would be Jurietto, I think. Or Juraietto apparently

It really wasn't originally made for foreigners trying to see what their name is in Japanese, which, as you said, is an inaccurate phrase. Katakana was originally for foreign phrases and terms and some company names and such.

To you weeaboos out there: STOP USING THIS SHIT AND JUST FUCKING FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF. If it makes an "uh" kind of sound, it's probably an "a".

Actually, fuck it, I'm not explaining it. GO FIND A PICTURE OF A CHART OF CHARACTERS AND ACTUALLY TRY TO FIGURE THIS SHIT OUT. If you "read" the "transliteration" and it doesn't sound at all what you'd think it sounds like (and people like me are bitching about it), then it's probably NOT RIGHT.

It really wasn't originally made for foreigners trying to see what their name is in Japanese, which, as you said, is an inaccurate phrase. Katakana was originally for foreign phrases and terms and some company names and such.

Yeah, I know. And it's used more often for that. But still, it's awesome how there's just no way for a foreigner to write their foreign name in kanji. And would look weird in hiragana. 8D

Foreigners do usually pick kanji, though. And Japanese people seem to be getting rather fond of English names... so you'd get things like - I don't actually know which of the three likely kanji combinations or two less-likely ones would be used for 'てんし' - being read 'anjiru'. @_@

You just can't use kanji for foreign names, because it just doesn't work that way. You wouldn't put a Japanese word in the dictionary just because people overuse it, right? ... Karaoke, dammit. Well, you people don't pronounce it right.

Doesn't mean they don't pick kanji to use, though, and have it be read differently than normal. :/

Those people think they'll be accepted in Japan and are generally surprised when they're laughed at by the general population. Best part is they don't know why.
Which makes me wonder what random Japanese people are thinking when they name their offspring various English words and use the kanji of the closest translation.

It's dumb, but it happens anyway. :/

Can a Japanese name have 3 Kanji in it? Because my name does. (Erika)

I've seen names with three kanji before. And the length doesn't really matter either, because I've seen a reading for 'Matsumoto' and it's only one character.

That's really stupid, surskitty. o.o Don't they think it'll be exceptionally awkward for them in later life when people ask them how to say their kanji and they say some totally random English name?

Which makes me wonder what random Japanese people are thinking when they name their offspring various English words and use the kanji of the closest translation.

It's dumb, but it happens anyway. :/
Weeaboo...ism... works in the opposite way, too. Hence ganguro girls, or whatever the fuck they're called. Sluts need to die anyway. If they're gonna put stupid shit on their face, make it black metal facepaint.

That's really stupid, surskitty. o.o Don't they think it'll be exceptionally awkward for them in later life when people ask them how to say their kanji and they say some totally random English name?
Don't people think it'll be exceptionally awkward if they name their child "SEPHIROTH"?

People are dumb. :( JUST BECAUSE IT'S A BAD IDEA DOESN'T MEAN PEOPLE DON'T DO IT whyyyy ; ;
Weeaboo...ism... works in the opposite way, too. Hence ganguro girls, or whatever the fuck they're called. Sluts need to die anyway. If they're gonna put stupid shit on their face, make it black metal facepaint.
Don't forget the general fondness for RANDOM ENGLISH.

let's jumping

I don't mean "you" as in "you, ArtificialFlavor", but "you" as in "you white people". The same way we get called yellow and, er, African(-Americans) get called "black", though that's almost true for some of the darker ones.

Back
Top Bottom