• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

One-Shot Maggots

Music Dragon

Doosic Maggon
Pronoun
she
Maggots

August 20, Wednesday

It’s only been two days, but I already miss Jane. I’ve never realized how quiet this house is without her, with no one watching TV or listening to the radio or singing in the shower… The silence is overwhelming at times. On the bright side, my surge of inspiration hasn’t passed yet. I finished my painting and I’m already working on another one.

I’m throwing a party on Saturday. Should liven things up. I might as well do something fun while I have the place to myself.

August 21, Thursday

Found two maggots in the pantry this morning. I couldn’t bring myself to touch them, so I used a spatula to get rid of them. Not sure if I want to use it for cooking ever again - maggots are the most disgusting thing in the world.

Tried to call Jane today, but she didn’t pick up. I think I’m starting to feel lonely.

August 22, Friday

More maggots. I find them in the unlikeliest of places. On my desk. Under the sink. Floating dead in the toilet. I know they’re harmless, but seeing them everywhere is very unnerving, not to mention strange. I barely move about the apartment, afraid that I might step on one. Landlord says he’ll have someone over to deal with them by tomorrow, but I doubt it.

I’ve called off the party, of course. Pity, but I can’t have people around with the place in this state.

August 23, Saturday

Huge clusters of maggots everywhere. Where are these filthy creatures coming from? They’re covering the windows, the front door, even the telephone. They’re trying to keep me inside. Yes, I know how absurd that sounds. It’s impossible. It’s ridiculous. But it’s undeniable.

I’m not sure why I haven’t panicked yet. Maybe I’m in a state of shock. After I realized they’ve blocked all exits, I spent the rest of the day painting. Actually, I think I did something in-between, but I don’t quite remember. Whatever it was, it must have been tiring. I feel exhausted. My throat is sore.

August 24, Sunday

I know that I have to get out of here quickly, or things are only going to get worse. It’s so easy, really. It should be easy. I just have to open the front door and step outside. But then I’d have to touch them. I feel pathetic. Helpless.

Tried sweeping them off with a paintbrush, but it’s no use. How do they cling to vertical surfaces? Maggots can’t do that, can they?

August 25, Monday

They’ve taken every square inch of every wall in the house. Not a single ray of sunlight through the windows. I feel like I’m living inside a fleshy pod. I wonder if this is happening to the neighbors too.

For some reason, I can’t stop looking at them, even as I write this down. They’re repulsive. But the way they squirm and wriggle about in intricate patterns… It’s mesmerizing.

August 26, Tuesday

They’re on the ceiling now. Sometimes they fall down, like little drops of rain. They always land next to me. Never on me. Never touch me.

My painting is coming along. I knew something was missing, but I think I’ve solved it now. I just need to add a few fine details. Maybe a little maggot crawling out from under the rock she’s sitting on. A maggot trailing down her leg. Maggots coming out of her eye sockets. I should replace the trees in the background with enormous, erect maggots.

August 27, Wednesday

Make it stop. I don’t know who you are or why you’re doing this to me, but I’ll give you anything you want. Just make them go away. Please.

August 28, Thursday

I haven’t been able to leave my bed all day. They’ve covered the floor. Except they’re not covering it. There is no floor underneath that thick layer of maggots. There’s just a bottomless sea.

I’m sinking, slowly. I knew it would come to this sooner or later. I can sense their anticipation. They’re waiting for something. Maybe they want me to finish this entry.

Hopefully, after that single moment of sheer horror, it’ll all be over. Yes. It feels good to know that it’ll all be over.

This is incredibly creepy.
I don't have much else to say. Didn't spot any spelling mistakes or things like that.
I wonder why the incident you've portrayed has happened to him? All the possibilities are overwhelming...

Dang, I thought there'd be a dead body (of Jane?) somewhere along the line. Still, it's a wonderful little miniature.

I actually found the landlord slightly more freaky, as if he is the one orchestrating the whole onslaught of maggots >]

This is incredibly creepy.
I don't have much else to say. Didn't spot any spelling mistakes or things like that.
I wonder why the incident you've portrayed has happened to him? All the possibilities are overwhelming...
They are? Success!

Dang, I thought there'd be a dead body (of Jane?) somewhere along the line.
But there wasn't... or was there? *suspense*

Oh, and thank you. I made the usual mistake of not spending enough time on it, but I think it came out okay.

That was...creepy. I must say, this piece of work has my imagination running, and I'm sure that was your intention. The journal entry presentation definetly added do the overall feel. This also reminds me of Silent Hill 4, where a guy is trapped in his cursed apartment. In short: Awesome!

I liked it! But, I must ask, where exactly did you get the idea for this? It's very... unusual. It's meant to be, but still. Does it have some hidden meaning or is it just meant to creep you out?

Wow, that was mildly disturbing...

You sure know how to creep people out better than most "professional horror writers." Very interesting concept...

... By the way, if you remember me from before the forum crash, I'm sorry for acting like such a jerk. >_>

It was okay. I didn't like August 27 though. Don't know why.

"It's already been two days" seems a little bit artificial considering there's probably already a journal entry two days ago.

That was...creepy. I must say, this piece of work has my imagination running, and I'm sure that was your intention.
Well, I guess. Most of all, I wanted it to be open to interpretation. Because I'm a git.

I liked it! But, I must ask, where exactly did you get the idea for this?
I honestly don't remember. Had the plot bunny for ages, but it took a while before I made the decision to get rid of it.

It's very... unusual. It's meant to be, but still. Does it have some hidden meaning or is it just meant to creep you out?
Little bit of both, I guess. I wanted it to be open to interpretation. Because I'm a git.

Wow, that was mildly disturbing...

You sure know how to creep people out better than most "professional horror writers." Very interesting concept...

... By the way, if you remember me from before the forum crash, I'm sorry for acting like such a jerk. >_>
Actually, I don't recall ever having met you, but maybe that's just as well. Now we can start from scratch!

It was okay. I didn't like August 27 though. Don't know why.
Hmm. Pity that. It would be good to know what exactly you didn't like about it. It's certainly different from the other entries; maybe it ruins the atmosphere or something.

"It's already been two days" seems a little bit artificial considering there's probably already a journal entry two days ago.
Perhaps. That's always the hardest part of writing from someone else's point of view: making it sound natural. It isn't exactly made easier by the fact that you have to read what you've written over and over again until you think you get it right. Makes you lose sight of things.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

The best day is the 26th. The way the maggots seem to have, kind of, infected the narrator's mind. Also leads you to wonder if the painting is a metaphor for something, like Jane's dead body. *shrug*

Dunno.

The best day is the 26th. The way the maggots seem to have, kind of, infected the narrator's mind. Also leads you to wonder if the painting is a metaphor for something, like Jane's dead body. *shrug*

Dunno.

I agree. ^^
I would like to see more of this, I feel like it's leading up to something.
Anyways, great job, I really got the creepy feel of it. 8D

I love this. It's kind of like a man's lament to himself. It's creepy also. I like the last entry the most though, it's like the final words as such.

Back
Top Bottom