• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The time setting is being really weird

Zora of Termina

forget your high society
Pronoun
fucking guess
OK, so like, it's 8:30 right now on every clock in the house and on every other time thing on the internet aide from here.

...The time on this forum is 9:30.

And I can't seem to fix it. I set it back to GMT -7 (I'm in GMT -6) and it appears that the setting for my timezone is the same as for GMT -5, like an hour ahead of what it's supposed to be. Like as in, I set it forward to GMT -5 and the time stayed the same.

I've tried everything I can think of to set it straight.

Help? :D?

Clocks went back half an hour ago. You've probably not set the forum to automatically detect DST.

...Actually, I did. And clocks don't go back around here until November, so I was just going to set the timezone an hour ahead of mine for until then.

Perhaps I should elaborate. It's like, if clocks HAD gone back here, then it would be two hours ahead of the real time. I don't think the problem IS that clocks have gone back at all.

You know what? This would be easier to explain with pics. *goes to take screencaps*

EDIT:

OK, it's like this.

problemcap1wy1.png

That's the original settings. Now here's what the time came up as:

problemcap2lz5.png

Do you see a problem here? I do. >>

Next I tried setting it to GMT -7 to see if it would work.
problemcap3dl8.png

And it came up like this:
problemcap4yj3.png

Yeah.

Then I set it at GMT -5 to see if it would come up as the same thing as my original setting:
problemcap5ws3.png

Aaaaand it did.
problemcap6qt9.png

Yeah.

Last edited:
I'm having a problem too. It says is almost eleven. It's almost 10. Only on the forum though. I'll try to fix it.

EDIT: Didn't work. On automatic DST. -__-

Last edited:
This is... bizarre, but I am certain DST is involved. Maybe the forums switch between DST at different times for what time zones you're in? Regardless, the timezone shown at the bottom of the page is without DST all the time; meaning that if you're in GMT +1 with DST, it'll actually say GMT +2 (because GMT +1 + DST is the same as GMT +2).

What I'm guessing has happened is that one timezone (GMT -6) is still on DST and the other (-7) isn't, which is why -6 is displaying as -5 and -7 still as -7. -5 is in the same boat as -7.

To conclude! There appears to be absolutely no way to get your time (which I'm assuming is just after 9pm; if it's just after ten, then your original settings are fine) with auto-detect DST on. Turn it to "always on" and your default timezone and see what happens.

Well whatever. It doesn't do it if I turn it off, so I'll just see where that lands me come November. :/

Wait, what? I am almost certain turning DST on with GMT -6 should get you the correct time.

It didn't, actually. Turning it off gave me the right time, but turning it on just kept the problem there.

This is why DST is a stupid idea and people should just keep their time the same all year like we do. :P

She has a point. DST really screws up time differences, especially in regions that don't do that.
Yet DST makes it so it's not dark at 4 PM. I don't know much about Iceland, and this is just a guess, but the sun may be out longer during the summer, and out shorter in the winter. There would be no reason for DST.
[/probablynotright]

This is why DST is a stupid idea and people should just keep their time the same all year like we do. :P

Whenever time springs forward an hour, heart attack risk increases for days, yet when it falls back an hour, it only decreases for one day

So, DST is killing people :D

Back
Top Bottom