• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Fakedex Collab Club

Im in!!! (Please?)

Already taken care of! Any ideas? Let's begin with the typical Grass/Fire/Water starter trio. We also need a common theme for their final evolved forms. Feel free to make suggestions!

Here are eight ideas for each Starter type that I jotted down on a piece of paper:

Grass:

Spectacled Bear
Moose
Mandrill
Secretary Bird
Koala
Komodo Dragon
Crocodile
Peafowl

Fire:

Ibex
Giant Tortoise
Rhinoceros
Zebra
Aardvark
Aurochs
Red Panda
Ring-Tailed Lemur

Water:

Goblin Shark
Jaguar
Manta Ray
Elephant
Hippopotamus
Narwhal
Beaver
Tapir

Last edited:
Thanks.

Grass Starter thoughts
I think that the komodo dragon just seems like a middle evo. of a chain that starts with a pure grass type, then gains poison as it's secondary type. My only problem with that is that the Grass/Poison type has been overused in starters. The crocodile is another idea that I like, because most final-stage grass starters are based of dinosaurs/extinct reptiles/ extinct amphibians, and Sarcosuchus imperator was a ten meter long crocodile ancestor. If we're using this, may I suggest adding the dark type to the final evolution, for STAB on moves like Bite and Crunch, and perhaps Strong Jaw as the line's Hidden Ability?

TL;DR:
I like the idea of a physically offense oriented grass type, although I seem to describe a grass type Totodile in detail.

Already taken care of! Any ideas? Let's begin with the typical Grass/Fire/Water starter trio. We also need a common theme for their final evolved forms. Feel free to make suggestions!

Here are eight ideas for each Starter type that I jotted down on a piece of paper:

Grass:

Spectacled Bear
Moose
Mandrill
Secretary Bird
Koala
Komodo Dragon
Crocodile
Peafowl

Fire:

Ibex
Giant Tortoise
Rhinoceros
Zebra
Aardvark
Aurochs
Red Panda
Ring-Tailed Lemur

Water:

Goblin Shark
Jaguar
Manta Ray
Elephant
Hippopotamus
Narwhal
Beaver
Tapir

Hmm... I like your narwhal idea for the water starter beacuse NARWHAAAAAAALS because it gives a way to have a legitimate to have a Water/Ice final evolution, which I support, because it just seems like it should've happened already.

Fire should be something along the lines of a bird. I know Talonflame exists, but that has the design of a typical early-game-bird-design. The fire starter should be along the lines of a phoenix, because, quite frankly, its the only legitimate animal thats commonly associated with fire that hasn't been taken already (salamanders have Charmander, foxes have fennekin and vulpix, lions of litleo...)

Finally, i think grass should be a gazelle, since grass is pretty much one of the cornerstones of their life: they get water from it, its their main food source, their primary habitat is by it; its a natural fit.

Hmm... I like your narwhal idea for the water starter beacuse NARWHAAAAAAALS because it gives a way to have a legitimate to have a Water/Ice final evolution, which I support, because it just seems like it should've happened already.

Fire should be something along the lines of a bird. I know Talonflame exists, but that has the design of a typical early-game-bird-design. The fire starter should be along the lines of a phoenix, because, quite frankly, its the only legitimate animal thats commonly associated with fire that hasn't been taken already (salamanders have Charmander, foxes have fennekin and vulpix, lions of litleo...)

Finally, i think grass should be a gazelle, since grass is pretty much one of the cornerstones of their life: they get water from it, its their main food source, their primary habitat is by it; its a natural fit.
Torchic is a bird. How can you forget that?

Erm... Torchic is forgettable?

But Torchic took the bird thing to one extreme, with the Fire/Fighting scary karate bird. The Phoenix thing could take it to the other: a calm yet powerful bird... Fire/Psychic?

Good point, Stryke.

And Cynder, the Sarcosuchus is great, but I honestly was half-expecting a Spinosaurus (based on the most recent reconstruction from I think 2014).

I was thinking, since I ended up picking a lot of animals for my list from South America, maybe the region could based on Peru? Just a thought.

Also, what should we call the two versions? I was thinking "Chaos and Order". Not sure if it's already taken by a fan project, though.

EDIT: We also need to think of a common theme for the final Starter evos. I was thinking of a "Legend/Storybook/Novel/Myth/Fairy Tale" theme of sorts.

I was writing a huge post, but it just boils down to:

Use the entirety of South America. It has the Amazon River, and its jungle; the Atacama Desert; the Andes Mountains; and more interesting locations.
Of course, the size and scale would be a lot different from the real world, but it would be wonderful to have a champion league at Tierra del Fuego, or go on safari in the Galapagos Islands. All sorts of views and diversity exist across the continent, there is no need to restrict ourselves to one small area to take inspiration from.

PS: Sinnoh starters are based on myths and Kalos on fiction in general.

I was writing a huge post, but it just boils down to:

Use the entirety of South America. It has the Amazon River, and its jungle; the Atacama Desert; the Andes Mountains; and more interesting locations.
Of course, the size and scale would be a lot different from the real world, but it would be wonderful to have a champion league at Tierra del Fuego, or go on safari in the Galapagos Islands. All sorts of views and diversity exist across the continent, there is no need to restrict ourselves to one small area to take inspiration from.

Hmm... I like it! Maybe take South America's most interesting parts, of which there are many, put them on a map, and then adapt the land a bit to make it seem more pokemon-ish. Another idea I was thinking was Australia: it also has a lot of interesting climates, landmarks, and definitely animals. If I were to pick the most Pokemon-esque region in the world, it would be Australia.

Maybe this is just me, but I never really saw the starters as themed. I just saw individual designs that just worked well together. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think we really NEED a theme for the starters.

And seeing as how the version mascot legendaries and the game titles directly tie in with each other, we either need to design the legendaries around the names, or vice versa. I'm in favor of designing the names around the legendaries, to allow more creative freedom, but what do you all think?

Hmm... I like it! Maybe take South America's most interesting parts, of which there are many, put them on a map, and then adapt the land a bit to make it seem more pokemon-ish. Another idea I was thinking was Australia: it also has a lot of interesting climates, landmarks, and definitely animals. If I were to pick the most Pokemon-esque region in the world, it would be Australia.

Maybe this is just me, but I never really saw the starters as themed. I just saw individual designs that just worked well together. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think we really NEED a theme for the starters.

And seeing as how the version mascot legendaries and the game titles directly tie in with each other, we either need to design the legendaries around the names, or vice versa. I'm in favor of designing the names around the legendaries, to allow more creative freedom, but what do you all think?

Australia's been used a lot for Fakemon projects. Is there a country in Africa that has all of the continent's subclimates in one area? If so, that would make a great region.

EDIT: We could try South Africa, and make an even bigger region by using the countries the share borders with it. These include Botswana, Mozambique, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Swaziland and Lesotho. Let's vote on it.

Last edited:
My apologies for bumping/double-posting, but I just came up with a few ideas for the region's name.
Doctaev (A play on this site's name)
Neobrit (if a New England based region)
Sofric (If an African-type region)
Ingko (A play on Inca, for a South America based region)
Cryke (A play on the phrase "Crikey!", for an Australia-type region)
Hinodas (for an India-type region)
Mexand (A Mexico/Canada hybrid region)

Hey! So, Kung Fu Ferret linked me to this. I have a fakemon project underway (see my thread in Advertising here: http://forums.dragonflycave.com/showthread.php?t=18103) and I'd be happy to combine it with what's going on here but if I do so I don't want to change anything about what I've already done.

We don't have any artists in this group, but I'll see what we can do.

EDIT: And we just restarted this project.

Last edited:
Double post, but I have an awesome idea for a name if it's an Alaska-like region: Veisohm (taken from the Russian word for "Eight"

Anyone use IRC? And anyone got a plan to attract spriters which is basically the main thing my project lacks outside of fun region flavour etc

Back
Top Bottom