• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Your All Time 5 Favourite Movies (Oh and least favourite)

I recently watched - and was completely thrown by - Mulholland Drive. I didn't think I really understood some of the more complex bits, so I was reading about it online and and realized it was directed by the same guy who did Blue Velvet, which I watched a while ago and really enjoyed (but, again, I don't think I understood it at all). And the other day I watched Eraserhead and the only words I can think of that even vaguely describe it are DEAR GOD. Which I mean in both a very good and very very bad way.

Ah, Mulholland drive. I've been dying to see that. (and not just because it has lesbians in it) There was one particular scene someone mentioned to me that had this man in a restaurant describing his nightmare and then it came true or something... The clip got removed from youtube unfortunately and I can't seem to track it down. Gotta have a look around for this one.
I must be really jaded.... Eraserhead didn't throw me at all, but I definitely enjoyed it. The whole atmosphere was so wonderfully creepy and bleak. The man in the planet is probably my favourite scene of anything ever. It's just really well done. Damn, I can't believe I forgot to put this in my top five list, I could ramble about it forever.

It is very hard to get hold of though. Someone uploaded it on youtube a while ago and I watched it there. Hopefully it hasn't been taken down yet.

On the other hand, I adore the HSM movies, so clearly I don't need surreal symbolism/a decent plot to enjoy a film.
Eh, I just sorta threw that one on the list. To be honest; my hatred for HSM has kinda died down now. The constant adverts and merchandise annoyed me but it isn't as bad now. Plus, you can make anything likeable.

Also, John Carpenter's movies are scary awesome too. Just throwin' that out there. (everyone loves the thing!)

Eeeh I don't really watch many movies, so I can't really put them in order.

Wall-E was good, Juno was too... I noticed someone mentioned Edward Scissorhands, that movie was cool. CORALINE WAS WONDERFUL

Twlight sucked. Harry Potter as well. high school music sucks so hard that is doesn't deserve to be capitalized.

5. Howl's Moving Castle

Yes.

I rewatched Quantum of Solace recently and it was better than I remembered it.
Die Hard 4.0 too.

Ah, Mulholland drive. I've been dying to see that. (and not just because it has lesbians in it) There was one particular scene someone mentioned to me that had this man in a restaurant describing his nightmare and then it came true or something... The clip got removed from youtube unfortunately and I can't seem to track it down. Gotta have a look around for this one.
I must be really jaded.... Eraserhead didn't throw me at all, but I definitely enjoyed it. The whole atmosphere was so wonderfully creepy and bleak. The man in the planet is probably my favourite scene of anything ever. It's just really well done. Damn, I can't believe I forgot to put this in my top five list, I could ramble about it forever.

I found the DVD in a used-electronics shop by complete accident and I'd heard good things about it, but had no idea how weird it'd be and really enjoyed watching something that actually made me think.

Yeah, there's a scene (that, as far as I can tell) doesn't really connect to the rest of the movie in any way (unless maybe you count the whole deam-reality blurring, but the characters don't appear again or anything), where one guy describes "The Man Behind Winkie's" and then, when his friend asks to be shown, they go and look, it shows up and the guy freaks and faints. The Man is incredibly creepy, I'll give him that.

Of there's one thing Lynch does very well, it's atmosphere; all of his films that I've seen have a mood that I can't describe, but nothing else I've seen comes close to achieving.

Argh, I hate it when people take down youtube clips x.x Especially when they take down a section of a film that's 10 minutes long because of a 1-minute sex scene or something. I need my 9 minutes of plot to understand the film, dammit!

This is HARD!

(in no particular order)
-Wall-E
-KungFu Panda
-Any Harry Potter movie
-Monsters vs Aliens
-Pokemon 3 the movie

(Least favorite)
-Ben 10 Race Against Time
-Shrek 2
-Shrek the Third
-The Simpsons movie
-Any of the Scary Movie movies

Last edited:
I have a hard time listing my favorite movies because they tend to fall into two categories: more serious movies, and more comedic movies. So I'm going to list them separately. Yes I know it's way more than five!

More Serious Favorites
-Iron Man
-Secret Window
-Pirates of the Caribbean
-Dragonheart
-Stardust
-Gone in 60 Seconds
-War of the Worlds

More Comedic Favorites
-Kicking and Screaming
-Cheaper By the Dozen
-Yours Mine and Ours
-Shrek
-The Incredibles
-Napoleon Dynamite

Least Favorite Movies
-The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl
-A Series of Unfortunate Events (because it's so far off from the books)
-Eragon (again because it's so far off from the book)
-Castaway (this is a very good movie, but I can't stand it because it's so sad ;_;)

This is not hard for me at all. XD The only films I really watch are my old videos, most of which are Disney, Pokemon and other childhood films. Oh wow I am lame. Seriously, I've probably watched less than about thirty films in my entire life

In no order (except TLK :D)

1. The Lion King
2. Fellowship of the Ring (haven't been able to watch the last or most of the second, but I adored the first)
3. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (and to some extent the second though the trio lost their adorable high-pitched kiddy voices ;_; *was heartbroken*)
4. Titanic
5. Brokeback Mountain

And then after that would come the third Pokemon film, probably Memoirs of a Geisha, most of the old Disney films (especially Aladdin, Pocahontas, Cinderella, Snow White and a couple of others) and Studio Ghibli (especially Princess Mononoke! <3 And Spirited Away!)

Least favourite... I have no idea. Usually I only watch films I've heard are really good, and then I'll watch a few on chance like Twilight and High School Musical, both of which I found to be good. Though I might have only found Twilight as enjoyable as I did because I was relieved to find it was much better than the books. Mainly because it wasn't made by Stephenie Meyer though - I'd like the books if it was made by someone who actually put the occasionally could-be-very-awesome-and-complicated-if-taken-in-this-way stuff not by accident. D=

If I don't like a film, I'll just stop watching it and then forget the name of it. Only one I can remember that I hate is Jaws. Absolutely awful.

WIIIIILSOOOOOOOOOON ;~;

So I'm not the only one who cried when the volleyball floated away. ;.;

As for me....

1. Gojira
2. Godzilla vs Destoroyah/Godzilla, King of the Monsters
3. The Dark Knight
4. Mewtwo Strikes Back/The Power of One(did I get the names correct?)
5. Probably Batman Returns, Toy Story, or another Pokemon/Godzilla movie.

Before you say anything, Gojira and King of the Monsters are different films.

As for films I hate....well, aside from the obvious Disney crap that I would never watch, I guess I don't really hate a movie. It's hard enough remembering films I like. :/

-Castaway (this is a very good movie, but I can't stand it because it's so sad ;_;)

I must be the only person who found that movie hysterical. Call me coldhearted, but I was on the verge of laughter when Wilson floated away. It was sad, I admit, but I found it rather funny. Loved the movie, though.

I have so many favorite movies. The ones that stand out would have to be...
-Airplane! (I think, in terms of comedy, the only other film to make me laugh harder than this film, that I've seen, was Monty Python and the Holy Grail)
-Monty Python and the Holy Grail (See above)
-Star Trek (The newer one. It was so amazingly awesome. And it had the guy from Heroes in it! :D)
-Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit (I like it moreso because it's cute, but there are quite a few moments that I was laughing pretty hard)
-Any Disney Pixar movie (except Cars)
-Any Hayao Miyazaki film (ESPECIALLY NAUSICAA AND THE VALLEY OF THE WIND. I don't know why, but I liked it slightly more than Spirited Away. Slightly)
-The Dark Knight ('nuff said)
-Alice in Wonderland (The old Disney animated one. The new remake looks interesting, though)
-The Prestige (twist ending yay)
-The Illusionist (twist ending yay)

Honorable mentions include Batman Begins, Spider-Man, The Sixth Sense, Back to the Future 1 & 2, The Princess Bride, Edward Scissorhands, Get Smart, Ice Age, the Shrek series, Hoodwinked, and lots of others.

Now for my least favorite, and most disapointing.
-Ice Age: The Meltdown (They really made this one alot less funny than the first one. The only good parts involved Scrat. They'd better redeem themselves with the next movie)
-Annie (Got stuck watching this one day in school. As soon as the first song began, I stopped paying attention)
-Newsies (Half my school loves it. I've seen snippits of it and they're boring as hell. Some of the songs are decent, though)
-Happily N'Ever after (N'Ever seeing this one again [/bad pun])
-live action Disney movies
-all the direct to DVD sequels for Disney movies, and the movies who got these sequels. I lost my respect for them. (Pssst fourth Cinderella movie coming soon, tentatively titled Cinderella IV: The Royal Divorce)'

So yeah, long list there.

Favorite:
The Dark Knight, Kung-Fu Panda, Star Wars Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Even though I'm disappointed they cut the Sphinx scene out), and the Lord of the Rings : The Return of the King. The other Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and the Matrix movies are high up, though.

Least:
Eragon, but only after I read the book.
I am Legend, I just kept waiting for something.
/listfail.

Faveorite:Confesions of a shopaholic,shutter island,3 ninjas,and most foregin movies.Foregien movies are awesome <3
Hate:Twilight and some of the Pokemon Movies.Only like 2 though

Oooh... So many... To choose from... I'll have to say these, in no particular order;

- Kara no Kyoukai: Paradox Spiral
- Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike
- Drunken Master 2
- Akira
- Sherlock Holmes
- Zombieland

Least favorites;
Transformers (Both movies), Avatar

Favorite:

5. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
4. Any Rocky movie
3. Up (kind of developed an appreciation for it since it was our theme for Winter Percussion last year. It won us Champion so I'm not complaining :D)
2. The Blues Brothers
1. Star Wars VI

Least favorite:
5. The Incredible Hulk (2003)
4. Shrek III
3. Cars
2. All of the Twilight movies
1. Camp Rock (if you even say the term "Jonas Brothers," I will kill someone)

Top 5:
The Lion King (Disney's best)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (LOL)
10,000 BC (good, different love story)
The Land Before Time (the first one, the sequels kinda killed it after they hit the double digits, and the original was a bit short, but it was fine)
Spaceballs (Mel Brooks is a genius!)

Bottom 5:
The Wild (blatant rip off of Madagascar)
Avatar (wasn't too crazy about it, plus, it was way too long for me)
Hercules (I never thought Disney would totally ruin my favorite Greek Myth)
The Island (Had this creepy feeling about it that I didn't like)
High School Musical (wasn't too fond of non-Broadway/non-animated musical movies)

EDIT: Wait! I realized this thread was revived after a year ago. Weird....

Top 5:

1. The Shawshank Redemption
2. Inside Man
3. ConAir
4. Chicago
5. Terry Pratchett's Going Postal

Honourable mentions; Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Prestige, Ocean's Eleven, Ocean's Thirteen, The Bourne Trilogy, The Hangover, Hot Fuzz, How to Lose Friends & Alienate People, Iron Man, The Godfather, In Bruges, Once, Catch Me If You Can, The Wedding Singer, 50 First Dates, Mean Girls, Sherlock Holmes, Yes Man, Charlie Wilson's War, School of Rock, Up, The Lion King, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Valkyrie

Bottom 5:

1. All Twilight movies
2. All HSM movies
3. Eragon
4. P.S., I Love You
5. Epic Movie

Dishonourable mentions; every other Seltzer and Friedberg film, Norbit, My Bloody Valentine, Quarantine, Alien vs Predator 1 & 2, The Pacifier, Hannah Montana, Camp Rock, Ocean's Twelve, Hercules

I never see movies I expect I won't like, so I don't have a 'least favourites' list. And I honestly can't pick just five, sorry. My all-time favourite movie is Fight Club; I can see that movie over and over, it's just brilliant. I also love any movie by Quentin Tarantino, any movie Tom Hanks is in (Apollo 13 and Forrest Gump especially), weird-ass sci-fi shit like Memento, 12 Monkeys, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind; and musicals like Sweeney Todd, Chicago, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, etc.

Man, I could go on forever, so I'll just stop here. (Milk is great too though. Ok. That's it.)

Back
Top Bottom