• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

General Zoi's pony maker; the full version on DeviantArt. Best. Pony Maker. Ever.

*Sigh* forgot to watch the new episode...:\

I do know that the next episode, "Baby Cakes" is a Pinkie Pie episode, where she babysits Mr-and-Mrs. Cake's twin foals/babies.

Last edited:
Hey, who has watched the newest episode?

Wasn't that epidode awesome? I never knew that Granny Smith was the founder of Ponyville, or at least one of the founders

I thought it was a pretty "eh" episode (not bad though!) up until the end and then :O

Flashback/story about the founding of Ponyville is definitely one of my favourite parts of season 2.

Ponyville being next to the Everfree Forest wasn't really something that I'd've questioned but there's a good reason for it now anyway!

130232443562.gif

Derpy Rules all.

I never got to watch Baby Cakes today...:(

You cannot hope to beat a baby pony in a cute-off.
They're simply the best there is.

:33

I couldn't disagree more.
If the eyes weren't enough, the background music in the scene where Pound Cake goes missing from the crib and Pinkie can't find him definitely cemented babies as creepy.

(In related background music news, I noticed a recurring melody in this episode highly reminiscent of Aquarelo do Brasil; I really fancy it. Not sure if it was entirely intentional or not, though; it wasn't used in contexts that had anything to do with the original song's message or tone, and it had very little to do with the 1985 movie Brazil which frequently referenced the same.)

But the baby ponies were, like, the antithesis of cute. This episode was a great demonstration of why I want babies to stay far away from me. Too bad such episodes always end with "aww but they're SO CUTE so who cares about the nightmare they make of your life!"

Oh god my friend and I were watching the new episode and it pretty much made us melt into piles of goo

That episode was really pretty boring. :( I think that's the first—no, second—time I've actually been bored during an FIM episode and found myself wishing it would hurry up, the first being Secret of My Excess. I kind of have mixed feelings about this season. The good episodes are great, but there are also a lot more that are just okay compared to season one so far. This one, SoME, and The Cutie Pox all had good premises, but in the end they just felt like a bunch of repetitive gags strung together for the sake of filling up twenty-two minutes. A few minutes of setting up, a few minutes for the moral, and everything in between just stuffed with the babies being little devils/Spike growing and stealing more things/Apple Bloom getting more ~zany~ cutie marks. Luna Eclipsed had that problem too, kind of, but Luna was great so that more or less saved that episode.

But then Family Appreciation Day had like ten different interesting things going on!
Apple Bloom's attempts at preventing Granny's presentation were amusing because they didn't fill up the whole damn episode, and then there was also Granny Smith being ostensibly kooky, Diamond Tiara being an asshole, the whole story that fleshed out Granny Smith a lot and revealed some interesting history. (Much more interesting than what we saw in Hearth's Warming Eve, for sure. That one was also just okay.) Plus the zap apples were really, really awesome.
Sisterhooves Social was supercute and similarly kept up the pace enough to be interesting, plus it had that awesome twist at the end. May the Best Pet Win! was mostly predictable, but it was written well and had that awesome musical number, plus the way it pulled off the twist wasn't something I was expecting.
(I was pretty much expecting a repeat of Fall Weather Friends/The Tortoise and the Hare.)

I just hope we don't start seeing too many of these boring filler episodes. I guess I'd be surprised if we did, though.

Last edited:
That episode was really pretty boring. :( I think that's the first—no, second—time I've actually been bored during an FIM episode and found myself wishing it would hurry up, the first being Secret of My Excess. I kind of have mixed feelings about this season. The good episodes are great, but there are also a lot more that are just okay compared to season one so far. This one, SoME, and The Cutie Pox all had good premises, but in the end they just felt like a bunch of repetitive gags strung together for the sake of filling up twenty-two minutes. A few minutes of setting up, a few minutes for the moral, and everything in between just stuffed with the babies being little devils/Spike growing and stealing more things/Apple Bloom getting more ~zany~ cutie marks. Luna Eclipsed had that problem too, kind of, but Luna was great so that more or less saved that episode.

But then Family Appreciation Day had like ten different interesting things going on!
Apple Bloom's attempts at preventing Granny's presentation were amusing because they didn't fill up the whole damn episode, and then there was also Granny Smith being ostensibly kooky, Diamond Tiara being an asshole, the whole story that fleshed out Granny Smith a lot and revealed some interesting history. (Much more interesting than what we saw in Hearth's Warming Eve, for sure. That one was also just okay.) Plus the zap apples were really, really awesome.
Sisterhooves Social was supercute and similarly kept up the pace enough to be interesting, plus it had that awesome twist at the end. May the Best Pet Win! was mostly predictable, but it was written well and had that awesome musical number, plus the way it pulled off the twist wasn't something I was expecting.
(I was pretty much expecting a repeat of Fall Weather Friends/The Tortoise and the Hare.)

I just hope we don't start seeing too many of these boring filler episodes. I guess I'd be surprised if we did, though.

Yeah, I kinda agree about the best episodes being amazing, but the worst episodes being pretty poor. For me, Lesson Zero, Sisterhooves Social, Sweet and Elite, and Cutie Pox were all superb episodes, but at the same time, Luna Eclipsed and Mare-Do-Well were pretty bad.

But the baby ponies were, like, the antithesis of cute. This episode was a great demonstration of why I want babies to stay far away from me. Too bad such episodes always end with "aww but they're SO CUTE so who cares about the nightmare they make of your life!"

I think the babies are quite un-cute too. The episode as a whole was good, but I personally don't like it when babies are put into things. I really can't describe it, it's like I feel embarrassed for Pinkie Pie/whoever's looking after them in the show at hand, because I know I would hate to be in that situation. At some points it made me less inclined to find the bits that were supposed to be funny funny.

Though I do admit I did quite like some scenes.

The only show I can think of where babies didn't bother me are Rugrats, and that's only because they're the entire focus of the show, and they're intelligent(ish). Plus they weren't drawn to be overly cute like the ones in this episode were. (And that darn cat during the finding a pet song) Things trying too hard to be cute sicken me (and I don't mean that in a mean way, I mean literally, I dunno if that's normal though or if I should see a doctor)

There is something about season 2 that I don't quite like, but I'm not sure that's it. I wouldn't say yesterday's episode was one of the weakest, but I do have to agree with you that a few episodes rely on being repetitive. Though that's only really bothered me in Luna Eclipsed.
The one people point at most though for being repetitive is Mare-Do-Well and it seems that a lot of people claim it's the worst episode ever (and believe it or not I've seen people say they considered to stop watching the show altogether because one episode was so bad), I feel like I'm the only one who liked that episode :c. I can see how it's called repetitive and to be honest it could have been nicer to Rainbow Dash but I wouldn't call it bad.
In fact my least favourite episode, the only one to go below the "meh" line, so one I actually think is worse than just okay, is Look Before you Sleep from season 1.
I didn't really find Family Appreciation Day all that interesting. It might have had all that stuff going on but it felt kind of boring just because it didn't really feel to enhance the plot at all. Sure at the end it sort of tied together but while I was watching it it just seemed dull. I'll have to watch it again sometime to see if knowing the how it ends changes anything, but for now I'm just going to describe it was "meh until the end until an awesome flashback/story sequence happens"

I think that the developers make too many central episodes on the same characters like Apple Bloom and Pinkie Pie (others too). I think they should make episodes based on characters like Fluttershy and Scootaloo (poor thing hasn't had a themed episode). It would be more interesting if the developers make episodes on family from characters who's families haven't been shown.

By the way, am I the only person who has noticed the way that season two kind of completely did away with Lauren Faust's "ponies should be ponies, we'll not pretend that hooves can be hands" thing? Season one pretty diligently made the ponies carry things in their mouths when they had to and used their legs as legs that just happen to be flexible enough to perform basic gestures; one of my favorite little things was the way that ponies applauded by stomping their feet, for example, because they don't have hands to clap with. But in season two they're going around changing diapers offscreen using their hooves, and in Family Appreciation Day, the pony students all sit there clapping by turning their hooves inward and banging them together. It really bugged me. (Also, at some point in season two their tails turned prehensile, too - or at least I don't remember that in season one.)

By the way, am I the only person who has noticed the way that season two kind of completely did away with Lauren Faust's "ponies should be ponies, we'll not pretend that hooves can be hands" thing? Season one pretty diligently made the ponies carry things in their mouths when they had to and used their legs as legs that just happen to be flexible enough to perform basic gestures; one of my favorite little things was the way that ponies applauded by stomping their feet, for example, because they don't have hands to clap with. But in season two they're going around changing diapers offscreen using their hooves, and in Family Appreciation Day, the pony students all sit there clapping by turning their hooves inward and banging them together. It really bugged me. (Also, at some point in season two their tails turned prehensile, too - or at least I don't remember that in season one.)
No, you're not.

Hoity Toity clapped like people in season 1 and I believe they used their tails in Party of One. But yeah the nappy changing bit did annoy me a bit too. There's only so much the "hooves are made of glue" argument can hand-wave away.

I need to learn to avoid all websites ever before watching the new episode. I'm sure Derpy talking (and being named!) would've been much more :o! if I hadn't been spoiled.

I know I'm going to sound all "it's not the same voice as I expected therefore I don't like it" but I really didn't like her voice :/

Having her do silly things is one thing, but have her speak like that doesn't exactly seem nice

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom