• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Course Planning Advice?

bulbasaur

Not quite e^(-(x-μ)²/(2σ²)) / (σ√(2π))
So, I'm a grade 10 student (sophomore) whose dream college is MIT. I need to map out my future courses right about now, and I'm wondering which ones to pick. I've come up with two feasible plans: one will let me graduate at grade 11 while the other one makes for an interesting courseload. * denotes online; ~ denotes independent study

Taking at the moment
English 11
Sciences Naturelles 10
Sciences Humaines 10
PE 10
Woodworking Level II
Music Composition and Technology 11
Francais Langue 10
*Calculus, II

Plan A
2nd semester
Accounting 11

Summer school
Physics 11
Chemistry 11
*Sci. Hum. 11
*Francais Langue 11

Grade 11
Chem 12
Fral 12
English 12
Sciences H. 12
Law 12
Biology 12
Physics 12
Geography 12
* AP Chemistry 12
* Microeconomics AP
* Macroeconomics AP
* Senior Planning
~ AP Environmental Science
Multivariable/Vector calculus (at a college)

Plan B
Summer School
Physics 11
Biology 11
*Accounting 11

Grade 11
Chemistry 11 Honours
Francais Langue 11
Sciences Humaines 11
English 12
*AP Physics B
*AP Statistics
*Senior Planning
*Earth Sciences 11
*AP Microeconomics
~AP Human Geography
Multivariable/Vector calculus (at a college)

Summer
Biology 12
Physics 12
*Law 12
*Geography 12

Grade 12
AP Chemistry 12
Francais Langue 12
Comparative Civilizations 12
History 12
*AP Psychology
*AP Macroeconomics
*AP US Government
~AP Environmental Sciences
~AP Physics C
Linear Algebra (at a college)
Point-set Topology (at a college)

If members would be so kind to assist me in making this decision by describing some possible pros and cons of each option, that would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Interesting is way more important than graduating early, I think, particularly if interesting means you get in community college classes and various AP shit, because university is holy fuck expensive. Make sure you don't burn out.

I suspect MIT will be more impressed by the fact that you not only know what algebraic topology is but have done a course in it rather than the fact you graduated a year early.

All I can say for sure looking at that list is that independent study for AP Physics C looks to me like a bad idea0. I mean, I took AP Physics C as a course my senior year, and I didn't do so hot; it was just really hard.

I would also echo opal and Viki's endorsements of shunning early graduation in order to take more free and interesting classes.

Back
Top Bottom