• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Famous Ancestors/Relatives

Are you secretly two people I went to school with? Because they never stopped going on about how they're related to Scott of the Antarctic and pirates.

I doubt it, though I'm pretty guilty for not stopping going on about how Cornish my family is. Which isn't exciting at all - as far as I can tell, everyone on my dad's side was born in Cornwall and farmed the land till they died, from the beginning of recorded time until my dad's generation (possible pirates notwithstanding).

On my mother's side, people have lived in Ireland, America, Australia, England and New Zealand within the last couple of generations (both my mum's parents were immigrants to the UK), so god knows where any of them actually came from.

(also if anyone thinks they're '''descended''' from a clan simply because they have relatives who have that surname

you are wrong

the more you know)
I should know, there's one corrupt politician in those silly US who coincidentally has my middle name.

Through my paternal grandmother I'm connected to the Dwyers of Cork, who were a really famous merchant family fifty years ago. Aside from that, nada. I'll have to be the famous one in my family, I suppose.

None that I know of, but my friend says she is very distantly related to Billy Ray Cyrus.

Also, my aunt dated the drummer of Flat Mary Stone once.

But I wouldn't know much, my family lines are pretty ridiculous. :/

YOU ARE AWESOME

CONFIDENCE BOOST

I have really got to ask my mom about some other famous peeps we're realted to. She's big on researching the family tree lately.
Thought of another one: Christina Applegate. Yeah. :D

Umm, my aunt was part of a fairly famous local band.
My mom's convinced we're related to Kate Middleton on her side of the family. •~•
... Nothing interesting here. >~<

I'm not sure exactly who my late great aunt Yvonne wrote the one document on my family's genealogy for, but I'm fairly certain that my... Hmm... Give me a minute...
Think my great-great-great grandmother's grandfather had the same great-great grandfather as one of the worst US presidents of the 19th century. It's not a direct relation, but James Buchanan was a bachelor, and like I say, he wasn't the greatest president, so I'm quite fine with not being directly related, I do believe.

Meanwhile, on my dad's side of the family, I'm related to a guy who developed a commercially unsuccessful steamboat before Fulton went and made money with steamships. ...Though there's more about him on Wikipedia than I expected.

(On the subject of tartans, there is a... something, hanging somewhere in our house, but my mom prefers the hunting tartan whenever she wears it, and we're still more German than Scottish, and... It's a mess. Genealogy is a mess.)

on my mums side, my non-blood related family we're some of the first people to arrive in New Zealand, and my blood related family were kicked out of France for being heretics.
on my dads side, fucking no one.

It turns out that my Great-Great X5 Grandfather was actually a member of the English Royal Guard during the early reign of Queen Victoria. I would consider that to be quite important if not famous.

Well, my great grandfather (Paternal grandfather's dad) played in a band with Louis Prima the guy that played King Louis in The Jungle Book.

If you wanna see, Clicky here. He's the guy on the big string bass.

I can't think of any others right now.
If I had a picture available, I would claim relations to Santa Claus.

Back
Top Bottom