• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Your Favorite Anime?

lets see...the only anime I've watched every episode of is the first Negima! anime. Others I've seen are Pokemon and Negima?! (yeah i know great variety, huh)
I really need to start watching Case Closed because the manga is fantastic

I liked Fruit Basket. It was kind of interesting, as well as extremely cheesy. I don't watch a lot of anime because things like Beyblade and Scan2Go ruined the entire genre for me.

I have (at least) three favorites.
Puella Magi Madoka Magica is amazing. The only anime series (i.e. not including films) I've seen which I would definitely call a masterpiece. And since it's only 12 episodes, there isn't any time wasted with filler.
Code Geass is great, as well. Politics, mecha, supernatural powers, and alternate history. There's a bit something for everyone to enjoy. Not to mention CLAMP character designs that don't look nearly as awkward in motion as some other shows (like say... xxxHolic). I've only seen the first season in full, though. I've heard... mixed things about R2, but I think the ending's good enough to balance out whatever issues there are.
Lastly, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. Don't let the horror deter you, it's actually a mystery in horror clothing. I've seen the first series, Kai, and Rei, and they're almost perfect. Only almost. I haven't seen Kira yet... but I don't think I really want to, either.

Are you sure you don't mean loud minority?

Okay I promise I'm done complaining about little things now.

...Why do you always seem to take it so personally when people criticise fandoms? As long as you aren't personally perpetrating the awfulness, then I don't see what you have to be annoyed about.

...Why do you always seem to take it so personally when people criticise fandoms? As long as you aren't personally perpetrating the awfulness, then I don't see what you have to be annoyed about.

I'm not taking it personally. I don't even identify as an anime fan since I don't go out of my way to watch anime any more than I do for any other kind of media. I just don't like generalisations. Especially on sites like this where people seem to pride themselves on being tolerant. But when it's a group of people who choose to be a certain way (unless being annoying is implied by that 'certain way' ), all of a sudden it's okay to go around saying "most people in this group are annoying".

A better question would be, why do people insist on hating on the people in fandoms rather than the fandom itself? I get the definite impression that there are some people who, upon seeing someone wearing a "mainstream" anime t-shirt, would automatically assume that this person is one of the annoying ones.

I'm not taking it personally. I don't even identify as an anime fan since I don't go out of my way to watch anime any more than I do for any other kind of media. I just don't like generalisations. Especially on sites like this where people seem to pride themselves on being tolerant. But when it's a group of people who choose to be a certain way (unless being annoying is implied by that 'certain way' ), all of a sudden it's okay to go around saying "most people in this group are annoying".

A better question would be, why do people insist on hating on the people in fandoms rather than the fandom itself? I get the definite impression that there are some people who, upon seeing someone wearing a "mainstream" anime t-shirt, would automatically assume that this person is one of the annoying ones.
Why do you always feel the need to comment when someone complains about fandoms then? A forum being "tolerant" doesn't mean they're going to defend every issue under the sun. This forum is generally more aware of things like LGBT issues and racial discrimination. A fandom being "unfairly" criticised doesn't fall under those categories, and I don't see why it's such a big deal.

Also, hyperbole is a thing. maybe you should stop taking irritated comments from people who have put up with a lot of fandom shit so literally.

Why do you always feel the need to comment when someone complains about fandoms then? A forum being "tolerant" doesn't mean they're going to defend every issue under the sun. This forum is generally more aware of things like LGBT issues and racial discrimination. A fandom being "unfairly" criticised doesn't fall under those categories, and I don't see why it's such a big deal.

Also, hyperbole is a thing. maybe you should stop taking irritated comments from people who have put up with a lot of fandom shit so literally.

Hence why I called it a "little" thing.
Also it's partially because such comments always come across to me as a tad pretentious. What's wrong with animes associated with the "majority" of fans? Plus there's the fact that I find some people tend to bring up the fact that they don't like people from a certain fandom at any opportunity, whether it's relevant or not, just to make it absolutely clear that they don't like the fandom. (not saying Cirrus was doing this, but I've seen it around these forums for sure)

My favourite is Hetalia. *prepares to be killed*

I can't say I've watched a lot of anime, but I've also developed a passion for Panty and Stocking. Fruits Basket and K-ON are also good.

And I haven't seen that much of it, but Mitsudomoe is HILARIOUS. As is Lucky Star.

you can tell I like comedy anime

I don't really get why you're bringing up 'tolerant'? Accurate generalisations can be useful! Being able to talk about 'the majority' can be useful! Honestly 'generalising is bad' is a pretty weird meme because that's how we, y'know, use statistics? The problem is when generalisation is taken too far, is inaccurate, causes actual harm, etc. whereas here, you can just be safe in the knowledge that you presumably aren't the sort of person I'm talking about.

People insist on having a problem with people rather than the fandom because I think of the difference as fandom being art/fic/theories or whatever, and then you have the actual people. Different fandoms are, well, really different, so this is a useful thing to do.

Just because anime fandom is indeed a very large category doesn't mean they don't have patterns of behaviour like any other fandom or interest group (additionally, everyone I know who has visited their local anime club generally all have the same sorts of things to say about it: they're rarely great things).

Anyway, Steins;Gate now has the official approval of 1/3 of the administration team.

My favourites have to be Revolutionary Girl Utena (serious answer) and Kirby of the Stars (because Kirby).

I haven't watched a ton of comedy anime, but I didn't like Lucky Star or Hetalia. Azumanga Daioh and Negima!? are pretty good, though.

Not to mention CLAMP character designs that don't look nearly as awkward in motion as some other shows (like say... xxxHolic).

xxxHolic has a special flair to it. Its art isn't great, but it doesn't need to be. It's like a game you play because of the gameplay, not graphics.

My favourite thing about the art in xxxHolic is how the background people aren't fully drawn. "Laziness"? Definitely not! It's to emphasize the story and detach the characters from the outer world.

Not to mention Yuko. <3

Oh! I finished Nichijou after hearing about it. It's a slice of life on complete nonsense, but manages to be endearing. Wouldn't say it's the best thing ever or for everyone, but overall, I enjoyed it.

I don't really get why you're bringing up 'tolerant'? Accurate generalisations can be useful! Being able to talk about 'the majority' can be useful! Honestly 'generalising is bad' is a pretty weird meme because that's how we, y'know, use statistics? The problem is when generalisation is taken too far, is inaccurate, causes actual harm, etc. whereas here, you can just be safe in the knowledge that you presumably aren't the sort of person I'm talking about.

I didn't say generalising is bad, I said I didn't like it. I thought it would be understood that I meant that kind that don't really have much of a basis. Statistics are considered good when you have a sample of a decent size and variety. While I'm sure it's easy to gather a list of anime fans you see around and about, I don't think it's a good variety of them. Someone who is a big enough fan to be annoying is probably going to talk more, whereas there are probably fans that don't talk at all but are fans nonetheless. Of course that's a massive simplification of things, but it's just a quick demonstration of why personal experience isn't really a good indicator or these things.

I don't deny that fandoms can be annoying, or that a large amount of people within them are. I just don't like the insistence that it is the majority, just because it appears it.
You might not do this, but I really get the feeling that it's misconceptions like that is why people are sometimes judged for nothing more than what kinds of media they enjoy. I have a friend who rarely lets other people know what kinds of things he likes, even when asked, precisely for that reason. I even find myself edging closer to being like that too.

Apologies for offtopicing, it just really really bugs me.

I'm really sorry if this is ramdom but every time i see the title of this thread i laugh because i always misread is as "whats your favorite animal?" and it drives me nuts

Statistics are considered good when you have a sample of a decent size and variety. While I'm sure it's easy to gather a list of anime fans you see around and about, I don't think it's a good variety of them.

Which is why I don't claim to have any reliable statistics or whatever! I give any anime fan I encounter plenty of room to not be the 'loud minority' or however you want to put it. You're kind of drawing from this that I 'judge' people for being an anime fan when actually I'm only a bit warier, just in case!

When the majority of anime fans that I come into contact with stop being the kind I don't really like, I'll give them even more room!

I'm really sorry if this is ramdom but every time i see the title of this thread i laugh because i always misread is as "whats your favorite animal?" and it drives me nuts

If you think it might be a bit too random, you can always not say it ...

You're kind of drawing from this that I 'judge' people for being an anime fan when actually I'm only a bit warier, just in case!

Which is why I clearly said "You might not do this". If you don't, that's fine! It's just there's people who do, and I want to eliminate any things that might encourage them at all. Definitely futile, I know :(

But like, even if you feel someone is 'judging' you for liking anime, can't you just sort of prove them wrong by not being what they expect? I don't get why this is so terrible, especially when anime fans are genuinely kinda notorious!

Last edited:
the amount of magic David Production is pulling for JoJo's while having such a limited budget is lovely

only halfway done though so it'll be a while before i can actually call this a favorite, but i feel like this is the adaptation Araki's been waiting 25 years for, but Joseph is perfect
they even animated the joestar secret technique!!! :'D

but it's great, it's lived up to the manga so well so far, if they can pull the rest of this off well we might actually see a more complete adaptation of the third arc

also K is beautimous

I don't really watch anime or cartoons anymore, not really my thing.
I did watch squidgirl though and found that amusing.

Back
Top Bottom