• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What's Your Name?

Shane Dutton. Pretty boring, in my opinion, but I don't know many people with my first name. The most common nicknames for me are Shanaynay and Ginger, which really has nothing to do with my name, but I thought I'd include it anyway. I'd probably respond to Dar in real life if anyone actually called me that.

Hlín Vilhjálmsdóttir Önnudóttir. The Vilhjálmsdóttir is not a middle name, it's another last name - as in, my passport has "Hlín" in the given names field and "Vilhjálmsdóttir Önnudóttir" in the last name field. I've tried to book flights on websites that choke when I try to enter that into their last name field.

I'm probably the only person with that name who will ever exist, since the only way there could be another one is if a couple with the same first names as my parents decided to name their daughter my pretty uncommon name and to give her both a patronym and a matronym (very uncommon) in this order (fifty-fifty).

:o That's a mouthful! (But a really cool name; I think Icelandic is a really cool language.) How do you pronounce it?
The mere thought of trying to explain how to pronounce it in English terms makes me shudder.

Google Translate is reasonably close, ignoring the hilarious robot voice, but still sounds a foreigner trying to repeat it.

The mere thought of trying to explain how to pronounce it in English terms makes me shudder.

Google Translate is reasonably close, ignoring the hilarious robot voice, but still sounds a foreigner trying to repeat it.
Imagine if everytime someone addressed you, that was the voice they used.

Last edited:
My name's a bit of an interesting story. My first name is John, but everyone has always called me by my middle name, Sam, for as long as I can remember. The reason for this is because when I was still in the womb, my parents were all set to name me Sam. However, there's a tradition in my family that the first dude in every generation of the family is named John, and guess who that responsibility fell to this time around. So, my great-grandpa kept pushing and pressuring my parents to keep the tradition alive until they just ended up giving in. However, they called me Sam anyways since I was born because it's what they wanted, and so that's just what I go by. It makes me unique, I suppose, but it comes with drawbacks, like having to launch into an explanation on it with every person I meet; I've given up trying to explain it to people I'll barely know, like substitute teachers and people at doctor's offices. Plus, I always get that one person every once in a while that thinks it's clever or funny to call me John. It never is. Please do not, it is only my name on paper.

My name is Jeremy Basil [lastname]. (Basil pronounced bay-zel, not the English way) When I first realised I Wasn't Cis I thought I was nonbinary, and I immediately googled different plants to name myself after, since I looooove plants and plant names (and I thought I wanted something neutral). So I was Basil River [lastname]. After a while of people calling me Basil I figured out I really was just a whole ass trans guy, and although I like Basil enough, I wanted something that seemed more like a normal guy's name. I've literally always loved the name Jeremy, and I always told my friends that if I was a guy I'd be named Jeremy (this was back in like 7th grade). Not that my parents wanted that - my parents would have named me Tommy, bleh - but I just knew. Hell, when I was 13 and got Pokemon Red for the 3DS virtual console thing, I named my character Jeremy.

I was torn between picking Basil Jeremy or Jeremy Basil but.... I realized I wasn't gonna let my initials be "BJ." So yeah! This feels right. I'm Jeremy.

god man, how many of the names listed here are dead now-

I'm glad I ain't posted mine; still working on a replacement for that one. fwiw my parents have mentioned they'd have named me Luísa if I'd been declared correctly at birth, but that's like, a last resort

I have the best name ever.

"EMERALD" (not always in all caps)
But most people call me Emmy, hence my username here.

BTW i tried pronouncing butterfree's name and i'm sure she would cry if she heard me try and say it.

god man, how many of the names listed here are dead now-

PFFFFFFF- man why tf did I put my whole ass name on here. i oughta fix that.

okay so like: legally my name is Rachel, and that's cool I don't have an issue with it per se but I've been using Chel online for reasons including Grumping About Work In Places No One Will Find Me and I'm very fond of it so that may end up becoming a name name at some point

My name's Javier! It's fairly uncommon, so I like it. It usually stands out. Always funny to see people mispronounce it :P

edit: lmao I put my wholeass name in this thread six years ago. now employers can find out I'm a huge nerd

Hint: I share a first name with both a South Park kid and a Disney prince.

EDIT: My middle and last names are both [REDACTED]

Back
Top Bottom