• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

ultraviolet vs. pathos

Hrrr, okie. We had good luck this round anyhow.

Let's see... Let's go for the KO here, if we can. Hex twice and Astonish. Delay your attacks one action if EXPLOSION is protecting/otherwise unhittable and chill instead. If they've got clones, aim for the one with a shadow (or reflection if it's above water)...

Hex / Chill x2 ~ Hex / Astonish / Chill

at this stage I think we just need to go after the substitute with Facade and Shadow Ball. If you're at the stage where it's your turn to attack and the situation is pretty dire (like, you don't think you'll last next action), live up to your namesake and go with Explosion. It's okay! Remember, your pain receptors switch off before it happens and it looks really fucking cool when you do it. I'll take a photo this time!!

Facade ~ Shadow Ball/Explosion ~ Shadow Ball/Explosion

ultraviolet [OO]
EXPLOSION WEDNESDAY (X) <Clear Body> @Lucky Egg
metang
Health: 30%
Energy: 60%
Status: Atk +2, Acc +2, Moderately paralysed, Moderately burned. Feeling extremely bitter toward the random number god.

pathos [OO]
Nesama (F) <Levitate> @Dusk Stone
misdreavus
Health: 55%
Energy: 54%
Sub: 18%
Status: Praying to the random number gods for more rounds like this.

-BEGIN ROUND 5-

A glow. Purple and red wisps of disdain. A metallic whine. A locking of joints. A cackle, and a repetition.

An echoing thud, followed by a sliding noise and the whirring of a Pokéball's recall.

-END ROUND 5-

ultraviolet [XO]
EXPLOSION WEDNESDAY (X) <Clear Body> @Lucky Egg
metang
Health: 0%
Energy: 60%

pathos [OO]
misdreavus
Energy: 44%

Numbers:
EXPLOSION WEDNESDAY- Health: 30 - 22 (Hex) - 8 (Hex) = 0.
Nesama- Energy: 54 - 10 (Hex x2) = 44.

Notes:
-lazy minimalism for a knockout, whee
-EXPLOSION WEDNESDAY was paralysed the only action they were conscious for. Not that it mattered, since Misdreavus is immune to normal attacks anyway...
-The second Hex KO'd. RIP to those that died.
-ultraviolet sends out and commands next.

ohh, EXPLOSION WEDNESDAY. goodnight, sweet prince

anyway let's kick butt komorebi
kecleon

Let's go with Slash until that substitute breaks, then switch to Shadow Ball. If you've broken the Substitute and Nesama has Double Team clones, use Feint Attack instead.

Slash ~ Slash/Shadow Ball/Feint Attack ~ Slash/Shadow Ball/Feint Attack

Errr well slash is never gonna kill your sub, since you're a ghost type, so err, let's just... Thunder Wave, Toxic, and Will-o-Wisp. Get in close before you start the toxic and will-o-wisp so they're accurate, though the kecleon should already be pretty close, since it's trying to slash at you.

Thunder Wave ~ Toxic ~ Will-o-Wisp

pathos said:
Errr well slash is never gonna kill your sub, since you're a ghost type, so err

okay, what? that would be a good thing to be written down literally anywhere because the only thing i can find about substitutes & immunities is that substitute won't be damaged from like electric moves if the pokemon has motor drive (from this post by negrek in 2011), and that substitutes are always corporeal (from this post also in 2011). Bulbapedia, pokemondb and veekun don't even mention whether or not substitute receives immunities (though there is a bunch of other stuff on veekun), but they do say that subs receive the type of the pokemon who made them. This makes sense, but i figured that since it wasn't in the db and that pokemon generally make substitutes out of whatever's around that it didn't really count for anything (for example, Nesama's sub is made out of debris and nuts and bolts and dust).

in any case: if ghosts subs are immune to slash, that kind of needs to be written down somewhere i think ???

-EXPLOSION WEDNESDAY was paralysed the only action they were conscious for. Not that it mattered, since Misdreavus is immune to normal attacks anyway...

it's a mechanic in the games too; substitutes are affected by the whole type chart, including immunities. if y'all want to re-command, go ahead. that includes which pokemon you're using, if you want it to.

pbbt. :P well that's what i get for never using substitute in-game, i guess. I'd be happy to re-command, but i understand if pathos would rather go ahead.

Sure, I don't mind re-commanding.

Also if you wanna learn some game mechanics you can just play on pokemon showdown, play some random battles and you'll pick things up. c:

aaa thankyou ❤ !!!

it's nearly 1AM, so basically the same strategy, just using Shadow Claw instead.

Shadow Claw. If you've broken the Substitute and Nesama has Double Team clones or you're tormented, use Feint Attack instead.

Shadow Claw ~ Shadow Claw/Feint Attack ~ Shadow Claw/Feint Attack

Dat's fine n_n; a round of slashing would be pretty boring anyhow, hah...

Okie Nesama, let's see... it should take ~2 actions to kill your sub, even with a crit, so... Let's keep our commands similar, but change up the order - get in close again, or wait till the kecleon is already close for the shadow claw, and will-o-wisp. Then follow it up with the toxic and thunder wave. c:

Will-o-Wisp ~ Toxic ~ Thunder Wave

ultraviolet [XO]
Komorebi (F) <Color Change +Marvel Scale> @Prism Scale
kecleon
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Status: Looking at Nesama and her trainer simultaneously. Normal type.

pathos [OO]
misdreavus
Energy: 44%

-BEGIN ROUND 6-

After a few minutes' puzzlement over whether a Misdreavus' Substitute doll is in fact corporeal or not, the battle resumed. A flash of light took the shape of a Kecleon on ultraviolet's end of the deck, and with the tweet of the ref's whistle, the battlers sprung to action. Nesama moved first, igniting a small wisp of blue-hot flame in the air before her. She willed the flame down toward her foe and it obeyed, striking Komorebi on the arm. The spot where she was hit was scorched black and red, but she simply hid it by changing the pattern of her skin. In fact, as the pattern spread across her body, her scales began to shine through a translucent gold. Shrugging off the pain, Komorebi skittered across the deck on all fours. She swiftly maneuvered around all sharp stones and metal in her way, and finally leaped up to strike at Nesama, claw burning purple with ghost-typed energy. As she swiped down with it, Nesama's substitute moved to block in the blink of an eye. The collection of metal and grime fell to the deck with a crash loud enough to worry the Chief Secretary back in Mauville. The resulting pile of scrap reconstituted itself, but barely. The life force which had been used as its binding was greatly diminished, and dented plates hung loosely from its face.

[Komorebi- HP: 100%, PP: 95%] [Nesama- HP: 55%, PP: 41%; Sub: 4%]​

Nesama was displeased by the beating her bodyguard had taken. With her psychic powers, she collected the grime that had fallen out of it, and filtered out the particularly toxic parts. She added in a collection of pollutants gathered from the sea and air, with a touch of moisture to make the concoction particularly gooey. With a thought, she hefted the venom down at Komorebi, and it struck her face with a splat. Komorebi sputtered some, attempting to ingest as little of the attack as possible. This had little effect; Kecleon could feel the poison taking its toll already, and the best she could do was attempt to hide the fact that her face was slowly turning green from sickness. Still she pushed on, scampering around Nesama's back and leaping up to hit her with another Shadow Claw. The damaged substitute moved to block again, and finally shattered when it was struck. The metal landed with a final clatter, and slid lifelessly down the deck.

[Komorebi- HP: 100, PP: 91%] [Nesama- HP: 55%, PP: 38%]​

No sooner had Komorebi landed than Nesama began her retaliation. Static electricity was generated along her surface (can you really call it a skin?) by minute vibrations in the air, and she was channeling it into one particular spot. Once a sufficient potential had been reached, she willed the charge to arc over to her foe. The sudden current stunned Komorebi, and she changed between a veritable rainbow of colours before it finally passed. She had settled on a bright electric blue for her body and neck, black and red patterned arms, and a dark green face. Not that these colours were visible for long. Despite the soreness of her muscles, she shrouded herself in darkness, darting into the shadows below the deck of the station. She was gone only a moment, reappearing as a black blur flying up from a crack beneath her opponent. She hit Nesama hard, darkness fading in a spiral that whipped away from the two. She looked up when she landed to see the look of pain on Nesama's face - the first one of the entire battle.

-END ROUND 6-

ultraviolet [XO]
Komorebi (F) <Color Change +Marvel Scale> @Prism Scale
kecleon
Health: 96%
Energy: 87%
Status: Trying to hide her status conditions with her colour changes. Normal type. Marvel Scale activated. Burned (moderate, 3% per round, 3% physical damage penalty), paralysed (severe), badly poisoned (1% this round, 2% next).

pathos [OO]
misdreavus
Health: 43%
Energy: 35%
Sub: 0%

Numbers:
Nesama- Sub: 18 - 14 (Shadow Claw crit) - 7 (Shadow Claw) = -3, Health: 55 - 12 (Feint Attack crit) = 43, Energy: 44 - 3 (Will-o-Wisp) - 3 (Toxic) - 3 (Thunder Wave) = 35%.
Komorebi- Health: 100 - 1 (Toxic) - 3 (burn) = 96, Energy: 100 - 5 (Shadow Claw crit) - 4 (Shadow Claw) - 4 (Feint Attack crit) = 87.

Notes:
-Kecleon do not gain type-based status immunity since Color Change kicks in after the move hits.
-Marvel Scale activated on the first action.
-The first Shadow Claw and Feint Attack were crits. I ref these as costing 1% extra energy; if you know of higher precedent that makes them cost more, let me know and I'll change that.
-Stealth Rocks are scattered about pathos' side of the field.
-pathos commands first.

Last edited:
Burn is actually supposed to be a 3% power penalty:

Burn: The pokémon is inflicted with a second-degree burn that constantly stings and throbs, dealing it 3% damage per round if it is not further aggravated. Burned pokémon are particularly susceptible to attacks that happen to strike their burn and see reduced effectiveness in the attacks they use that require movement, as swift movement is one thing that will aggravate their burn and cause them further pain. They therefore take such attacks much slower than usual, making them less powerful. As a result, physical attacks and others that require considerably movement have their power reduced by 3% after all other modifiers are applied. Burns do not fade without treatment.

(From the A&A guide.) And paralysis inflicted by thunder wave should start out severe, is there any particular reason for it being light?

Anyhow, Nesama, you're doing great. Hold out just a little bit longer! Drop your dusk stone and thieve that prism scale from the kecleon. If she tries to steal it back, drop it before she does - preferably in the ocean (meaning, make sure you're floating above the ocean whenever possible, including when you're dropping your dusk stone). Then we'll go for a hex and finish with swagger. If she's protecting during any of your attacks, or is unhittable for any other reason, chill instead and delay your attack by one action - on the last action, since there's no room, we'll skip hex, so thief if you haven't yet and swagger otherwise. If she's got clones, aim for the one with a shadow.

Thief / Chill ~ Thief / Hex / Chill ~ Thief / Swagger / Chill

Burn is actually supposed to be a 3% power penalty:

(From the A&A guide.) And paralysis inflicted by thunder wave should start out severe, is there any particular reason for it being light?

Oh, I thought it was just 2. Correcting.

I was under the impression that severity of status conditions was random with some bias toward moderate, and I can't find any official word on it written down anywhere. I ref them as a 25% chance of light/mild, 15% chance of severe, and 60% chance of moderate, after rolling for accuracy. From there, I give a 15% chance of relieving the condition (unless it's burn or toxic poison, which do not fade), which increases by 5% after every failed relief roll.

I don't think it's written down anywhere, but it is supposed to start off as severe, otherwise it would be very unfair since it fades over time, especially starting off as light.

Feel free to use Thunder Wave twice to increase the severity. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was under the impression that severity of status conditions was random with some bias toward moderate, and I can't find any official word on it written down anywhere. I ref them as a 25% chance of light/mild, 15% chance of severe, and 60% chance of moderate, after rolling for accuracy. From there, I give a 15% chance of relieving the condition (unless it's burn or toxic poison, which do not fade), which increases by 5% after every failed relief roll.

I've never seen any other ref have status start off at anything other than severe if it was inflicted with a status move, the only exception being near misses (e.g. if it rolled a 100, or the target was semi-successful in dodging), in which case it usually starts at moderate. In fact, even moves that only inflict status as a secondary effect often start at severe (though it's more forgivable if they start at moderate).

Since this is a pretty big deviation from the norm that can have a large effect on the outcome of the battle, I'd ask you to stick with having status moves inflict severe status, outside of extraordinary circumstances.

I've never seen any other ref have status start off at anything other than severe if it was inflicted with a status move, the only exception being near misses (e.g. if it rolled a 100, or the target was semi-successful in dodging), in which case it usually starts at moderate. In fact, even moves that only inflict status as a secondary effect often start at severe (though it's more forgivable if they start at moderate).

Since this is a pretty big deviation from the norm that can have a large effect on the outcome of the battle, I'd ask you to stick with having status moves inflict severe status, outside of extraordinary circumstances.

Fine, but I'm going to ask that stuff like this be written down somewhere in the future. :/

Fine, but I'm going to ask that stuff like this be written down somewhere in the future. :/

This is the first time this has been a problem because status is so widespread that many examples of status being severe off the bat are simple to find, but I'll edit move descriptions to clarify that they inflict severe status.

hey! i kind of feel like I'm nitpicking, but Colour Change only activates when hit by damaging moves, which thunder wave, will-o-wisp, and toxic are not (i.e. they don't have base damage and aren't listed as physical/special).

Back
Top Bottom