• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

G/S/C I LEIK JOHTO MOAR

what's wrong with eggs, time-required evolutions and roaming pokemon? Those have been in the games since GSC, and many people like them.

Eggs: Take to long to hatch and you have to find the right compatible couple (or a ditto...which takes forever to get it Platinum).

Time-Required Evolutions: I figured the Eevees would all be stone related, but low and behold, I have to evolve them at a certain time of day. Meaning if I didn't evolve at lets say night time when I was supposed to...I have to wait several hours before I get the opportunity. Not only that, but this meant for future games that people would be doing more research on how to get/evolve pokemon rather than just doing the normal gigs of playing through the game. Nowadays doing research is the main way of catching them all. Some pkmn are required to have a certain move set before they evolve, and if you dont know which ones, you're screwwed. So the time based evolutions were (for me) the start of the tedious ways of evolving pokemon. Because then im playing the waiting game.

Roaming Mons: It doesn't get more tedious than this. If you're busy training your pokemon, and all of a sudden an entei appears, and your first mon in the party is the little critter you're training, you are already screwwed. Because switching out for your strongest, means wasting a turn and allowing him to escape. This happens more often in Platinum, where I have my False swiping Garchomp up to par, but NEVER run into the roamers, but I try to train my Vespiquen, and BAM! I find Moltres and Zapdos ready to taunt me. This is aggravating considering that the majority of the pokemon in this game is more difficult to capture than need be (I swear something was wrong with my game when it took me five Ultra balls to capture a 1hp Macargo) So I am still trying to unravel he mystery of how anyone can find roaming mons "fun", when it's completely random, you run the risk of blowing it and you can't see it coming until its too late. I have a friend who ran into an articuno and killed it. She couldn't do anything about it because she hadn't saved her progress up until that point, because she was power leveling at the time. She was quite pissed. Course most would say "she should've saved often" but to me that just doesn't work, because you never know when you encounter these things. Heck I turn on my game and Zapdos comes looking for taunts. And all I wanna do is train.

Psyburn, Pokémon is not supposed to be fast-paced game. Things take longer because the makers wanted the game to last longer; the point of roaming Pokémon is that they are hard and tedious to catch legitimately, so those who do can be given something to be proud of.

And really, complaining that you have to wait a few hours to evolve your Pokémon is a little silly. I think it's good because it's unique evolutions like that that save the games from getting repetitive and tedious, more than anything.

Anyway, on this subject, remakes would be nice but personally I think a better way to preserve the glory of the Johto days would be just to re-release the 2nd gen games with better internal batteries. It would sell. It could easily just be something you could order off the official website that come from a warehouse to those interested, that wouldn't hurt them much.

Psyburn, Pokémon is not supposed to be fast-paced game.

Oh dont get me wrong. Pokemon is an RPG, therefore the pace is expected to be slow.

However, the pacing is even slower in 4th Gen when considering overallbattles and just getting through the game in general feels slapped on just to increase the length. Nintendo seems to have this bad habit since Wind Waker.

Things take longer because the makers wanted the game to last longer

This is not a problem. I want the game to be longer...but in features don't contain requirements such as getting 32 people to talk to in the underground just to capture a single ghost pokemon. Ofcourse, things like that aren't required. And increasing the length in games by doing incredibly mediocre tasks doesn't help. Sometimes I end doing things completely unrelated to the main path of the game just to continue it.

the point of roaming Pokémon is that they are hard and tedious to catch legitimately, so those who do can be given something to be proud of.

I can't say this makes it a good decision, because as I have said before, you dont know when they will appear, therefore its hard to be completely prepared for an encounter, especially when you are focused on something else like training/searching for items/seeking out trainers/etc. The chance of encountering these pokemon are incredibly low, therefore making it not worth the effort of trying to prepare for them, especially when you may already have a good enough pokemon of that type.

And really, complaining that you have to wait a few hours to evolve your Pokémon is a little silly.

Is it really? When talking about Day/Night specific evolutions, a few hours is not what you get. You'ed pretty much have to wait half a day before you can start on your grinding fests again.

I think it's good because it's unique evolutions like that that save the games from getting repetitive and tedious, more than anything.

I couldn't disagree anymore. It's nice that they try something new a different...but when it gets to the point when I have to have specific genders, trading while having a level of happiness, or some other nonsense just to evolve something, they need to calm down a bit and think about what they are doing. Having to evolve a mantyke by use of having remoraid in your party is, by all means, incredibly silly. Or better yet, a Shedinja by having a spare pokeball and a free slot. Or wurmples evoling into two different pokemon depending on their personality values (which is hidden, and depends on how/where the thing was caught). It makes evolving pokemon MORE tedious than anything.

This is not a problem. I want the game to be longer...but in features don't contain requirements such as getting 32 people to talk to in the underground just to capture a single ghost pokemon. Ofcourse, things like that aren't required. And increasing the length in games by doing incredibly mediocre tasks doesn't help. Sometimes I end doing things completely unrelated to the main path of the game just to continue it.
Well, I don't think being required to walk around a lot in order to hatch an egg is that unreasonable. They wouldn't have the same effect on the player if they just came out straight away, unless the amount of time taken for the parents to produce eggs was significantly extended. As for roaming Pokémon, I think it was meant to be more luck-dependant than anything; if you find trying to prepare to catch them to be tedious then that is completely reasonable, but many more people will prefer it for how much more rewarding it feels to actually catch one of them, and I don't think the intention of their introduction was for people to spend hours going back and forth between two routes trying to force good luck upon themselves.

Agree that the Spiritomb thing is ridiculous.

I can't say this makes it a good decision, because as I have said before, you dont know when they will appear, therefore its hard to be completely prepared for an encounter, especially when you are focused on something else like training/searching for items/seeking out trainers/etc. The chance of encountering these pokemon are incredibly low, therefore making it not worth the effort of trying to prepare for them, especially when you may already have a good enough pokemon of that type.
Yeah, but that's really the intention in creating them. You have to be lucky if you are going to find them, and furthermore you have to be prepared - all the more to make the Pokémon seem more valuable. Obviously a lot of people wouldn't want to have to go through the effort of trying to be both prepared and extremely lucky at the same time, but that's what it's there for: to make them seem more difficult to obtain and therefore to make the people who have caught them enviable.

Is it really? When talking about Day/Night specific evolutions, a few hours is not what you get. You'ed pretty much have to wait half a day before you can start on your grinding fests again.
I don't think half a day is too demanding, but I suppose that's up to perspective.

I couldn't disagree anymore. It's nice that they try something new a different...but when it gets to the point when I have to have specific genders, trading while having a level of happiness, or some other nonsense just to evolve something, they need to calm down a bit and think about what they are doing. Having to evolve a mantyke by use of having remoraid in your party is, by all means, incredibly silly. Or better yet, a Shedinja by having a spare pokeball and a free slot. Or wurmples evoling into two different pokemon depending on their personality values (which is hidden, and depends on how/where the thing was caught). It makes evolving pokemon MORE tedious than anything.
I agree with you on a lot of this, a lot of the evolution methods introduced in the fourth generation really were quite ridiculous. However, I think that when there were as few evolution methods as there were back then, it was still quite a fresh change and made the day/night feature seem more purposeful.

I understand why you feel the way you do, but I don't think the things you mentioned deserved to removed from the games at all, because a lot of people like such features - probably more than dislike them. If you're just pointing out why you don't like them I understand, but if your intention was to suggest that the games shouldn't have those features then I will have to disagree.

Well, I don't think being required to walk around a lot in order to hatch an egg is that unreasonable.

I don't either....though 25K steps is a bit hard to swallow :P

As for roaming Pokémon, I think it was meant to be more luck-dependant than anything; if you find trying to prepare to catch them to be tedious then that is completely reasonable, but many more people will prefer it for how much more rewarding it feels to actually catch one of them, and I don't think the intention of their introduction was for people to spend hours going back and forth between two routes trying to force good luck upon themselves.

Yeah, but that's really the intention in creating them. You have to be lucky if you are going to find them, and furthermore you have to be prepared - all the more to make the Pokémon seem more valuable. Obviously a lot of people wouldn't want to have to go through the effort of trying to be both prepared and extremely lucky at the same time, but that's what it's there for: to make them seem more difficult to obtain and therefore to make the people who have caught them enviable.

Its not so much the preparation...its the encounter rate. And how for some reason, you encounter the legendaries more often when you have a weaker mon at the top of your list. And by weaker, meaning you find a lv 60 mon faced against your currently in training lv 26 tyrogue. If the critter I was using had mean look or anything of that nature, his speed would not be enough to catch him in the move. Unless ofcourse Mean Look is a first turn move like protect or w/e. Never used it much. One of the things is that you never expect it unless you actively seek out the roamers with your team of escape prevention.

But I suppose the luck thing is the actual intention

Still ticks me off though...I loved Articuno back in RBY....

I don't think half a day is too demanding, but I suppose that's up to perspective.

Thats just me I suppose. I don't enjoy the idea of having to work on a specific pokemon during a certain time of day just for evolution. Now it would be more interesting if a pokemon leveled faster during a time of day or something like that, but evolving? Idk, it feels like forcing the features down your throat. Its well and good that it's there, but making certain things exclusive to some features such as evolutions....

Well lets thank the good lord they didn't make it so you had to evolve on certain days like Monday or Friday *shudders*

I agree with you on a lot of this, a lot of the evolution methods introduced in the fourth generation really were quite ridiculous. However, I think that when there were as few evolution methods as there were back then, it was still quite a fresh change and made the day/night feature seem more purposeful.

I can respect that.

I understand why you feel the way you do, but I don't think the things you mentioned deserved to removed from the games at all, because a lot of people like such features - probably more than dislike them. If you're just pointing out why you don't like them I understand, but if your intention was to suggest that the games shouldn't have those features then I will have to disagree.

The former was it. It was primarily a response to a person's question, and nothing more.

I absolutely LOVED G/S/C. Crystal being my favorite. First of all, the sprites were waaay better than R/B/Y, whose Pokemon sprites I hate. In Crystal they were animated, which Nintendo finally decided to add again in Emerald. There were so many new features, like the Radio, Day/Night, Bug Catching Contest, and of course, being able to go back to the future Kanto region. You could get a total of 16 badges, which made the game a bit more challenging. I personally love games that test you and are challenging.

Also, I enjoyed the new Pokemon that were introduced. Johto Region Pokemon are my favorite set, out of all of the others. I can't also forget mentioning that Espeon was introduced in G/S/C, too! ;D

There is a remaked version, but it's not official. It's called 'Pokemon: Shiny Gold' and it's created by a person by the alias of 'Zel'. I've played it before and I must say it's pretty good. Of course, it's not the same, since it was hacked on a Firered ROM. That means there's no Day/Night system, so you have to get certain Pokemon other ways. Like to evolve Eevee into Espeon/Umbreon, you need the Sun/Moon Stone respectively. But for a fan-made remake, it's really good.

I think Johto was the best (might have been because of my age), but around the same time Johto came out I lost interest in the anime, and I never ended up finishing Crystal (never played gold or silver either). So the whole Johto is kind of a mystery to me, I don't know the towns, or even the gym leaders (All I remember is the miltank lady who cries).

What I think they should do is create a game with all the regions in it, (including orange islands, excluding orre). And that wouldn't be very hard to do, considering D/P were like 64mb and platinum was like 128mb (really small for a game, they can do about 5x better).

100% Agreed. If my avatar doesn't already give it away, my favorite region ever was Johto. If they remade that game I would reserve it at the maximum time ahead.

I can't be the only one who's favorite wasn't Johto...am I?

To be honest, Sinnoh's been my favorite gen so far. Johto is second.

Not to bring up an old debate from last week and not to throw accusations out there...but.. Jetx. It appears to me that you believe that features which are "new % fresh" excuses any and all flaws that came with them. Just want you to know that I believe in new features that can be "new & fresh" but are required to be "fun & enjoyable".

Thats all. I also call "johto" the Metal Gen for easier reference. Simply calling it the name of the region is....kinda silly to me. The Johto region is in itself small and almost devoid of any real attractions aside from Goldenrod and Ecruteak cities.

Back
Top Bottom