• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

POVs

Dragon

disaster pigeon
Pronoun
she
I'm writing a NaNo this year (my first EVER :dead:), and I'm not sure of what POV I should use. I'm not sure if i should switch between characters, or stay on the MC. The main reson I would want to switch POVs is a certain event in the beginning, but it could be interesting to write as other characters. :sweatdrop: Help?

I think you should do multiple points of view, if only for that part, since it's for NaNoWriMo. If it's clearer to the reader, it'll be clearer to you once you start editing. You could change it to the main character later if you feel like it.

I'd say that depends on how complex your characters are. If your main character is well-developed and has an interesting story and motives, while your other characters don't (but they should), then I would stick to just that character's point of view. But if your other characters have well-developed personalities and also have stories and motives that are well-developed, then go ahead and switch between 'em. ^^

Though, if your other characters have interesting stories, but their stories don't relate to your plot, I would stick with your main character.

But in the end, it's entirely your choice. xD; Write to please yourself, not others. =3

Make it clear and readable for whichever you choose; that matters more, after all.

The usual reason to switch between characters is either to hide information that the MC will possess later in the book or to provide insight into many different views, especially when there is a conflict and it's done to view both sides.
It can also be done to retell the story with different MCs (à la Vantage Point), but that is only done to build suspense to the end by revealing information with every new character.

Okay, thanks. I started, and I'm changing POVs from character to character. Yay, 9980 words! :D

Back
Top Bottom