• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What makes a pop song, a pop song?

What make a pop song a pop song?

• The high register singing

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • The cool sounding music

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • The lyrics

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Baby

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Baby

• Oh

• Total voters
By definition a pop song is a song that is popular. Duh, right? Or am I missing something?

Hatch and Millward define pop music as "a body of music which is distinguishable from popular, jazz and folk musics".[1] Although pop music is often seen as oriented towards the singles charts it is not the sum of all chart music, which has always contained songs from a variety of sources, including classical, jazz, rock, and novelty songs, while pop music as a genre is usually seen as existing and developing separately.[2] Thus "pop music" may be used to describe a distinct genre, aimed at a youth market, often characterized as a softer alternative to rock and roll.[3]

Wiki is good for answering these things.

To me, Pop Music is music engineered to have a large audience and to simply make a lot of cash. The music doesn't have to be good per say, it just needs to have that omph behind it to make it to the target audience(young kids-young adults mostly). Thus, Hannah Montana and Justin Bieber. Or is that Beiber? I could never spell his name correctly.

It also has the very annoying tendency to be the only thing many people listen to and invade my mostly VG-filled life everyday. >:( But that's a personal issue I have with it.

EDIT: Gah damn why am I taking something in Insanity so seriously? I didn't even realize it was in here....

To me, Pop Music is music engineered to have a large audience and to simply make a lot of cash. The music doesn't have to be good per say, it just needs to have that omph behind it to make it to the target audience(young kids-young adults mostly). Thus, Hannah Montana and Justin Bieber. Or is that Beiber? I could never spell his name correctly.

It also has the very annoying tendency to be the only thing many people listen to and invade my mostly VG-filled life everyday. >:( But that's a personal issue I have with it.

EDIT: Gah damn why am I taking something in Insanity so seriously? I didn't even realize it was in here....

That's not the definition of pop music. Mika, Lady Gaga, Michael Jackson, Madonna - so many incredible artists (artists) make pop music. Just because a few stupid kids make pop music as well doesn't mean that's what defines the art form.

I don't think those are popular in quite the same way, Minish. Your point isn't very good.

I don't think that pop music is geared specifically towards the younger market. I like pop music! (Maybe I should just burn in hell for daring to enjoy the mainstream :O) In fact, a lot of people 'like' pop music - even if purely because it's catchy rather than them specifically enjoying the genre. That's the whole point, so it gets stuck in your head and sells massively.

Pop music is music that is engineered to be enjoyed by the majority of people.

That's not the definition of pop music. Mika, Lady Gaga, Michael Jackson, Madonna - so many incredible artists (artists) make pop music. Just because a few stupid kids make pop music as well doesn't mean that's what defines the art form.

Hold it bro, I was specifically mentioning what it is to me. And just because I brought up bad examples doesn't necessarily mean I hate it. I just rather listen to something else is all.

This discussion is rather silly. The definition of a music genre isn't a fluid term. Just go ask someone who specializes in the music field and they will tell you the definition. The fact that the majority of members on this forum do not have a degree in music or some other form of knowledge on the matter more than 'I like music' and access to the internet, pretty much means our speculation is just... floundering.

Which, I suppose, is why this is in the Insanity subforum?

Probably because it's apparently such a stupid question, and because three of the poll options consist of 'baby baby ooh'?

Most of the reasons listed in the poll have very little to do with what makes pop music. By definition, pop music is meant to be popular and appeal to plenty of people; but most of these reasons don't define pop.

Like, "high-pitched voices"? I'm assuming you mean annoying, feminine Bieber-ish vocals... Geddy Lee sings falsetto and Billy Corgan sounds like a girl with a sore throat, but neither of their bands (Rush and the Smashing Pumpkins, respectively, but you probably knew that) could really be described as pop.

Writing "the cool sounding music" in a thread that references Justin Bieber is not a very good idea unless you like getting your head bashed in.

The lyrics definitely have something to do with it... you never hear pop songs about suicide or despair, for example. But at the same time, you hear the same themes in the Black Eyed Peas as you would in a band like Red Hot Chili Peppers; none of these are exclusive.

In conclusion, pop music is determined by baby baby baby oh.

Most of the reasons listed in the poll have very little to do with what makes pop music. By definition, pop music is meant to be popular and appeal to plenty of people; but most of these reasons don't define pop.

Like, "high-pitched voices"? I'm assuming you mean annoying, feminine Bieber-ish vocals... Geddy Lee sings falsetto and Billy Corgan sounds like a girl with a sore throat, but neither of their bands (Rush and the Smashing Pumpkins, respectively, but you probably knew that) could really be described as pop.

Writing "the cool sounding music" in a thread that references Justin Bieber is not a very good idea unless you like getting your head bashed in.

The lyrics definitely have something to do with it... you never hear pop songs about suicide or despair, for example. But at the same time, you hear the same themes in the Black Eyed Peas as you would in a band like Red Hot Chili Peppers; none of these are exclusive.

In conclusion, pop music is determined by baby baby baby oh.

To me, I find that a small guitar part (or the lack of one altogether) qualifies pop music. some music falls in the middle. (for ex., Michael Jackson)

This is just my personal opinion, so I'm probably wrong definition-wise

Last edited:
For me, music is classified as "pop music" if it's played on the radio a lot and if it has an upbeat tune. Which is probably the worst definition ever but :/

You guys have it all wrong :(

Pop music is a genre with a certain "sound", much like how rock and blues and folk and classical are all genres with certain sounds. If I were a music theorist, I would be able to tell you what defines pop, much like how I can tell you that rock is music with an accentuated backbeat, and blues is music that prominently features the blues scale.

Being popular does not make pop music pop. This song, (to pick something arbitrary that my friend found when googling his own name) is clearly a pop song, despite the fact that you have probably never heard of this artist. If every pop song somehow winds up on the top 40, then wow, I am going to start work on my pop album right now, I will be rolling in cash!

Additionally, pop music is not necessarily "mass marketed, 3:45, verse chorus verse chorus" music. Imagine if, say, Lady Gaga included a twenty minute song on her next album (or, alternatively, go listen to the song Impossible Soul by Sufjan Stevens). This isn't that ludicrous of a scenario - I can imagine such a song being pretty good as long as there were multiple movements and it wasn't simply the same thing throughout. The idea that this song would not be "pop" anymore is silly, she would not suddenly become a rock musician or a blues musician simply because she decided to stretch it out a bit.

Here's one of my favorite bands: of Montreal. They make somewhat experimental pop music. This song is as weird as anything and is obviously not going to get on the Top 40 anytime soon, but it is unarguably pop (skip to 1:15 to be convinced). I purposefully picked a weird one, but many of their songs are about depression, all of them have wtf lyrics, and many of them aren't verse chorus verse chorus. The one in the link is like, aabcdcde structure or something.

My favorite band, Animal Collective, is an even more experimental pop band. Their pop nature is a little more debatable, but check out this song and decide for yourself. It certainly isn't rock, it isn't electronica, it isn't folk. I don't know what else it could be but pop, but it is clearly never going to get on the radio, nor does it even have that synthy sound a lot of pop does, nor does it have pop lyrics, nor any of the hallmarks of pop. But some part of your brain recognizes part of the chord progression or something, I don't even know, and decides that it's pop.

So yeah, it goes a little deeper than popular vs. not popular.

Back
Top Bottom