• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

In Progress Following Footsteps- a Poke-FanFic

Update 6/25/2010-
Finally got to a (fairly large) edit of the first chapter. It's still not very long, but it is a definite improvement over the original. Eventually I plan to rewrite the entire 1st chapter, and edit the 2nd.

Still writing the 6th Chapter. Although it is summer, I don't really get a lot of writing time. But hopefully end of this month/beginning of July I'll have it up.

...so much for beginning of July. As I've been writing (sporadically, i've been busy with tennis and whatnot), I've corrected really nitpicky stuff in the prologue, so I may repost that later. Almost done with the 6th chapter.

Sorry for the double post today, but I finished chapter 6.

Chapter 6: Viridian Forest Fight

Rose skipped down Route 2. “I caught a Caterpie! I caught a Caterpie!” She sang.

“Rose, I know. You caught a Caterpie, and you’re happy. Could you quit bragging?” Hunter sighed, sick of her triumph.

“Aw, who’s jealous of my catch?” Rose boasted.

“Rose, will you just shut up?!”

“Um, no.” She laughed playfully, jokingly. “I’m kidding. I’ll stop when it gets annoying.”

“That was five minutes ago, and look where we are now.”

“Okay, okay, I’ll stop. But you’ll get it eventually.”

“Get what?”

“It. That elated feeling when you catch a Pokémon.”

“Oh,” Hunter sighed, dreaming of his first catch. Trees lined the edge of the route and tall grass formed a barrier that barred any weak trainers from entering the forest. Sapling trees blocked the pathway to the Diglett Cave, an underground tunnel that ultimately leads to Vermillion City and the harbor. A small entry gate was the checking point for those brave enough to enter the shady forest, a natural border that separates initial training from the road to the first badge. It is the final test before Pewter City.

The duo entered the air-conditioned building. A few trainers hung out at the tables to the right, some using cell phones, others eating and feeding their Pokémon. Two men, one a police officer, the other a guard, stood at the reception desk. Another security guard stood at the entrance gates to the forest. A DIY healing facility was bolted to the wall. Hunter walked up to the guard. “Hi, can I go in?” he inquired.

“Wha-? Oh, yea, sure kid you can go. Just don’t do anything stupid. I’m on break, and I don’t want to be bothered to have to play Mario and save the princess again, you follow me?” Hunter nodded, though giving the guard one of those “What?” looks, a squinty, one eyebrow down, the other up look.

“Let’s go Rose,” Hunter said cheerfully. “Rose? Rose!” Rose looked up and around, finishing writing her last thought. “Get over here, we gotta get to Pewter City ASAP!” He demanded, pronouncing ASAP like “a sap”.

“Ugh, fine, but I was just writing in my journal.” She picked up her things and strode out of the gates, dragging Hunter like it was all his fault.

“Whoa! Is it dark in here or is it just me?” Hunter marveled, his eyes wide open and mouth dropped.

“Well,” Rose began, breaking out her “I told you so” tone, “if you read the guide, then you’d know that it’s so overgrown in here that it appears to be nighttime all the time.”

“Who needs a guide to tell you what to do and where to go? It’s about living free.”

“It’s a suggestion. The guide recommends that you go to place X via Route Y, from Point A to Point B.”

“Whatever. Let’s just – Did you hear that?” Hunter asked.

“That rustling? Yeah, I did. Maybe it’s a Pokémon.”

“I hope so. I really want one,” Hunter sighed. The bushes rustled again, and a head rose from out the shrubbery. “Whoa!” Hunter exclaimed. “Who are you hiding in the bushes like that?”

Rose nudged Hunter. “See the purple logo on his hat?” She whispered.

Hunted nodded and looked up. “I do,” he whispered back, then exclaimed, “You’re from Team Midnight Sun!” Upon saying this, three more heads appeared from the foliage.
Rose pointed a finger, waving it around at the quartet. “And I’m assuming you’re all from Midnight Sun?” They foursome nodded. “Alright. Squirtle, Caterpie! I choose you!”

Hunter fumbled around, searching for Charmander. “Charmander! Let’s- Oh, forget the witty comment, just go fight!” The Pokéball trio revealed the two starters and newest capture.

The Midnight Sun henchmen all chorused a declarative “Zubat! Go!”

“Charmander, Ember!” Hunter cried out.

“Char, Char!” Charmander exclaimed, letting forth a barrage of red-hot embers.

“Caterpie, String shot! Squirtle, use Bubble!” Rose declared, Squirtle frothing at the mouth, letting loose bubbles, and Caterpie launching a web of sticky white string. “Wait, one of the grunts never started battle,” Rose said.

“Good thing,” Hunter said. “Otherwise we’d be outnumbered!” Meanwhile, a thick, black smoke emanated from around the same place the grunts we hiding. That must be where the other grunt was, Hunter thought.

Rose was practically hacking up a lung. “I can’t see!”

“See? I can barely breathe!” Hunter retorted. “Charmander, come back!”

“Caterpie, Squirtle? Where are you? Return!” Three red lasers were all that could be seen through the smoke. “Shut your eyes and mouth! Try not to breathe, Hunter!” Rose screamed, coughing. When the fog lifted, nobody but Hunter and Rose were standing in the forest. “Humph,” Rose grunted. “Those Midnight Sun freaks are such cowards!”

“Tell me about it,” Hunter agreed, taking a few deep breaths. “But I gotta say, that was pretty smart, using a smokescreen as an escape mechanism. Something tells me that we’ll have to get used to it. Let’s get going. I think it’s getting late. Should we set up camp?”

“Definitely,” Rose said. “Just make sure we zip up the tent so nothing penetrates our safety net.”

Hunter sighed. “Look at the showoff, using metaphors again.”

“Just shut up and help me set up the tent.”

“Okay.”

The sun filtered in through the nearly impenetrable overgrowth, one of the rare times where the sun illuminates the forest floor. Pikachu, Caterpie, and Weedle scampered about, foraging for berries. Hunter got up and pushed his father’s old cap, which had been passed down to the next generation only days earlier. Hunter got up and crawled out of the tent. He stretched and dug around in his backpack. He pulled out a bagful of bagels that he had collected from the Pokémon Center before he left with Rose. He reached in the bag and took out a bagel and ripped off a piece with his teeth. He also pulled out a bottle of water and drank from it. Bread and water, Hunter thought. Better get used to it.

“Hey, hey! What do you think you’re doing, eating without me?” Rose said, yawning. She trotted over and gingerly pulled out a bagel. “You’re sure these aren’t stale?” She inquired.

“Not really. But does it matter? As long as their not moldy. We need food, however we get it!” Hunter answered, rambling.

Rose sighed. “Yeah, I guess you’re right. It’s not like it’s going to rain eggs and bacon.” She bit the bready treat. “These are pretty good. You know, if I had a pot and a fire, I could make a jammy kind of spread to put on the bagels with all these Berries,” she proposed, motioning all around her to show the wide expanse of fruit. “Let’s pack up the tent and walk while we eat. I’m sure you want to get to Pewter City by sundown, right?”

“Of course I do,” Hunter swallowed. “Let’s hurry up and pack up the tent then.” Rose and Hunter spent thirty or more minutes pulling out the plastic stakes and rolling up the tent, shoving for dear life to get what Rose called “that stupid green thing” in its bag.
“Alright,” Rose breathed, wiping her brow and surveying the makeshift campsite. “Do we have everything?” She proceeded to check for everything? “Backpacks; check. Water; check. Pokéballs and Pokéball residents…” She paused to dig around in the backpacks. “…check. Hunter do you have the food and the tent, and all the other stuff?”

Hunter began to do exactly what Rose did. “Bagels; check. Tent; check. Other stuff…” He, too, paused to dig around for the “other stuff”. “…check. Yep, I’m all set. Let’s go!” The twosome picked up their belongings and walked off through the forest. Fallen twigs and leaves crunched beneath their feet, and the sun cast leafy shadows on the forest floor. Pidgey flew across the sky (or what could be seen of it) and Pikachu foraged for Berries.

A few minutes later, not more than five or ten minutes, something chirped behind the duo. The “something” made a sound similar to a cooing noise a pigeon might make. Rose giggled. “Hunter, stop scratching my shoulder!”

“I’m not,” he retorted, holding his hands in an “I’m innocent” form.
“Yeah, alright.”

“No, seriously, I’m not!”

“Alright then, what is it, a Pikachu?” Rose spun around. There in front of her was a small bird.

Hunter chuckled. “No, it’s a Pidgey! And it’s gonna be mine! Charmander, we’re going to catch it!” He threw Charmander’s Pokéball, a little too enthusiastically, causing him to trip. “Ow. Charmander, Ember!”

While Hunter attacked Pidgey, Rose stood behind him, her Pokédex open. “Pidgey,” the Dex said. “The Tiny Bird Pokémon. Common in grassy areas and forests, it is very docile and will chase off enemies by flapping up sand.” Rose shut the pink machine, pocketing it.

Meanwhile, Hunter struggled with Pidgey. “This stupid Sand Attack is driving my nuts. Charmander, jump, spin, and use Ember!” The whirling embers threw Pidgey to the ground.

“Hunter, throw the Pokéball, now!” Rose cried out, ecstatic.

“Okay. Here we go!” Hunter exclaimed, releasing his grip on the Pokéball. Time felt as though it had stopped for a second, the orb sailing through the air, the Pidgey lying there, and Hunter with a goofy grin on his face. When the Pokéball hit Pidgey, it swallowed the tiny bird up, and the ball wiggled for a few seconds before beeping and stopping its motion. “I caught a Pokémon!” Hunter screamed, sending flocks of bird Pokémon flying out of their nests and off their perches.

Rose stood beside him, placing one arm around his shoulder. “See?” She began matter-of-factly. “I told you you’d feel the elation of catching a Pokémon. I see the exit gate. Let’s hurry before they close it. Pewter City should be on the other side.”

“What?” Hunter looked up, too stricken with emotion to pay attention to anything. “Oh, yeah. Pewter City. Let’s go!” He cried out, dashing off into the darkness, leaving Rose in the dust.

“Boys,” she sighed.

At last, the new chapter is up! School's around the corner, so my time to write will be slashed dramatically (not that I'm productive during the summer, either...) Hope you enjoy. Comments, please. CONSTRUCTIVE COMMENTS.

-----
Chapter 7: Rocky Road
“It’s too bright! Turn it off!” Hunter whined, closing his eyes tightly shut to block out the sunlight.

Rose squinted. “You’re ridiculous. It’s just the sun. You’re not used to it after being in the forest. We’ve got this little stretch of Route 2 until-”

“Pewter City!” Hunter squealed like a girl. “I can taste the Boulder Badge! I can… do you see that man?”

Rose looked around. “Which one?”

“The one with the ‘Flint Slabs’ sign. Let’s go talk to him. Maybe we’ll get some information.” Hunter and Rose walked to the man and his stands. “Excuse me, sir,” Hunter began, politely as possible.

The man looked up. “What do you want?” He demanded, his voice gravelly and low.
Rose stepped in, turning on the charm to the maximum and still beyond that. “Well,” she began, trying hard to be polite yet firm. “We were hoping you could give us some information about the city and the Gym.”

The man stood up, adjusting his red hat and stroking his beard. His eyes were covered by the shadow of his hat. “The Gym here’s Rock-type, son,” he plainly stated. The man spoke with a gravelly, Southern accent. “Grass- , Water-, Fighting-, and Ground- Types will do you good.”

“Rose, can I use Squirtle?” Hunter pleaded.

“No. Use your own Pokémon. Maybe you’ll get lucky and it’ll turn out like those cheesy sitcoms where even though in real life they’d lose, the hero ALWAYS wins. Ugh, it’s so annoying,” she defended.

“Fine. Why don’t we see if I can sneak in a little training?” Hunter retorted.

The man cut in. “Pewter Gym’s got itself a nice training facility. Maybe y’all can use that?”

“Um, sure. We’ll head there now,” Rose said. “Thanks, um, you didn’t say what your name was.”

The man adjusted his hat and beard again. “You don’t need to know that,” he said.

“A little shady, if you ask me,” Hunter shot back.

“Names are nothing but an unnecessary label.”

“Rose, you don’t think it’s weird that the guy won’t tell us his name?”

“I do, but we better get going,” she said hurriedly. “Thanks again, mister.”

“No problem. Do you want to buy some flint?”

“I’ll pass. Hunter, we’d better go,” she rushed, pulling on Hunter’s arm.

“Alright. Pewter Gym, here I come!” Hunter declared.

“Good luck to y’all,” the man shouted.

“Thanks,” the novice trainers chorused.

“Sleep.” Rose yawned. “I need it. I know it’s only…” she gazed up at the sky, attempting to estimate the time. “…about three-thirty, but I’m exhausted. Why don’t we head up to the Pokémon Center and rest up first?”

“Sounds like a plan,” Hunter agreed. “It’ll give me time to think about my strategy for the gym battle.”

“Cool. Let’s go.” The pair walked north to the Pewter City Pokémon Center, where they were met with the same pink-haired lady from Viridian City. She stood at the front desk, in practically the same setup of the Pokémon Center’s Viridian counterpart.

“Nurse Joy?” Hunter blurted. “But weren’t you— you were--”

“That’s my sister.” Pewter Joy smiled. “My sisters work at the Viridian City and Fuchsia City Pokémon Centers, and my cousins, aunts, daughters, and practically any other female relative are stationed everywhere else. And that’s just Kanto. Here, look at this picture.” Joy pulled out a picture from an album from next to her computer. At least twenty women, all looking like a mirror image of the Joy standing before Hunter and Rose, were pictured standing around the desk of a Pokémon Center. “There are hundreds of other Joys around the Pokémon world!” She giggled. “Now,” she said, shutting the album with a loud thud, “what can I do for you?”

Hunter cut in before Rose could open her mouth. “We need a-” he felt around in his pocket. “Actually, we’ll just try to get comfy on the couches. Thanks, though.”

Joy smiled. “Alright, well, if you need anything, let me know.” The pair grabbed two blankets and settled down on the long couches. Hunter fell asleep almost immediately, snoring lightly and quietly. Rose, meanwhile, got up slowly so not to wake up Hunter, walked up to the desk.

“Is the library still open?” She asked, a little louder than a whisper.

Nurse Joy nodded. “Just until five.”

“Thank you,” Rose replied sweetly, dashing upstairs, gazing down quickly to make sure Hunter hadn’t woken up. You could throw a Geodude on that kid and he still wouldn’t wake up, Rose thought, chuckling. She burst through the library threshold and sat down at a table, slamming open her journal and clicking her pen. She wrote:

“We’ve finally made it to Pewter City! I still feel like a “second wheel”, if you will, to Hunter and his dream. But Cerulean City is just around the corner and over Mt. Moon.” She paused, and then something hit her.

“I can’t believe I forgot! Hunter’s birthday was the day that we got Charmander and Squirtle! I need to get him something…but what? Maybe I’ll write later, but I’ve gotta hurry!” Rose slammed down her journal and threw it in her bag, sprinting out the Pokémon Center door and down the road, making a beeline for Route 3, carrying only a Pokéball in her hand with her bag on her back. She wouldn’t return until dinnertime.

The sun began to sink down below the buildings of Pewter City: the Museum, the Gym, and the homes, painting the sky a canvas of purples, pinks, and oranges. Hunter’s eyes opened. He rose, stretched, and looked around. “Rose?” He called out. “Rose? Rose, where are you?” There was no response. “She didn’t leave without me, did she?” He slipped his sneakers on and shoved his father’s baseball cap down on his short, dirt-brown hair. He collected his belongings and walked up to the desk in a demanding manner, pounding on the small, silver bell as if trying to pound it like a chef would to a chicken breast.

Nurse Joy looked up and quickly snatched the bell away, trying not to be the next victim of Hunter’s mashing. “Yes?” She inquired, trying hard to keep her cool.

Hunter was distraught. “There was this girl I was traveling with- she was about this tall, shorter than shoulder length red-brown hair that’s usually in a ponytail and cool, ice blue eyes. Have you seen her? She was right there-” he pointed to the couch, “-and now she’s gone. Have you seen her?” He repeated, stopping to breathe.

“Yeah, she ran out of here screaming ‘I can’t believe I forgot!’ and bolted down heading towards Route 3,” Joy said, trying to be calm in an attempt to calm down Hunter. “Not sure why. I expect her to be back in an hour. I’d wait for her, if I were you. And before I forget- Professor Oak called. He wants you on the video phone for some upgrade for yours and Rose’s Pokédexes, which I’m assuming that Rose is the girl you’re talking about. She left it here.” Hunter thanked her and jumped on the video phone, typing in the number for the Oak Laboratory.

“Hello? Oh, hello there, Hunter,” Oak said, the gray-haired Professor greeting Hunter with a smile. “I see you’re in Pewter City. Have you gone to get the Badge there yet?

“No, Professor, I haven’t yet,” Hunter stated. “I actually just woke up because we’ve been traveling for a while and I’m exhausted. Rose left while I was asleep. So what was that Pokédex update? I have Rose’s Dex, too.”

“Ah, yes. The port on the bottom of your Pokédexes are standard USB ports. Ask Nurse Joy if she has a standard USB connector plug that hooks into the video phone. It will let me send the update to the Pokédex immediately. Great new, no hassle way of sending stuff like this without sending it through the computer and getting it lost along the way. Hurry up! I’m on a tight schedule!” Hunter ran up to the front desk, not asking or caring about what was so important that Oak had to rush him, and asked for the USB plug. Pewter Joy happily handed him the exact connector he needed as Hunter dashed back to the seat and fumbled to plug the USB plug into the phone’s USB port.

The plug itself was about three feet long. The ends were black and the cord was dark grey. Its alternate use was to transfer documents between two different computers.

“Alright,” Oak began. The actual download should take about a couple of minutes, and you should need about five to do both.” He tapped on the keyboard swiftly, and a beep sounded from both ends of the conversation that began the software update. The screen on the Pokédex showed four characters- 046%- that showed the progress of the upgrade. The value rose quickly for a few seconds, and then came to a halt at 094% as it crept up to 100%. The red pocket computer beeped twice and the screen showed four more characters- DONE. Hunter switched out the Pokédexes and the process began all over again, this time with Rose’s pink Dex. Three minutes (and two beeps) later, Hunter thanked Oak for the help and was about to hit the “End Call” button on the touch screen, when Rose burst through the door, a Pokéball in hand.

“Look who finally shows up,” Hunter said, a bit too loudly.

“Hi Rose,” Oak greeted, before any bickering could begin. “What’s that there?”

“This,” Rose exclaimed triumphantly, “Is Hunter’s belated birthday present.”

Hunter scoffed at the gift. “A Pokéball? That’s it?”

Oak cut in, still on the line. “First, Hunter, even if it is just a Pokéball, be happy she remembered to get something. And second, I’m assuming that there’s something in the Pokéball.”

Rose nodded her head. “There is something in the Pokéball. Happy belated birthday, Hunter. Open the ball.”

Hunter took the Pokéball from Rose’s hand and threw it into the air. Out came a purple creature, no more than a foot tall, with a purple horn on its head. Oak smiled, a smile you’d only give if you saw a cute kitten or puppy. “A Nidoran! They’re cute, but so tough, too!”

“Somebody’s showing their feminine side,” Hunter pointed out. “But he is kind of cute. Let’s see what attacks he knows.” Hunter opened his Pokédex. He pressed a button. “Beep” went the Pokédex, and Hunter read aloud a list of four attacks. “Let’s see… Confusion, Peck, Focus Energy, and Double Kick.”

Oak marveled. “Confusion had to have been from an egg move. Lucky break, Hunter. Double Kick will work miracles at Pewter Gym. Good luck, Hunter. Get on over to the Pewter Gym and train with Nidoran. Brock- he’s the Gym Leader- his brother, Forrest, is one of the Gym Trainers. Tell him Oak demands you have him. He’ll get you in perfect shape for your battle with Brock.”

“Maybe I’ll actually get to train a bit for the Cerulean Contest,” Rose muttered.

“That sounds great, professor,” Hunter replied, ignoring Rose’s comment. “Rose, let’s head over now.”

“Sure,” Rose replied. “According to my guide…” she thumbed through a book. “Pewter Gym closes to all incoming visitors at eleven. That gives us…” this time she gazed around the walls of the Pokémon Center first floor until she came to a large clock. “…just under four and a half hours. We’ll head there, train for a bit, and then you can take on the Gym Leader.”

“Cool,” Hunter replied. “Bye, Professor. Maybe I’ll talk to you again in Cerulean City.”

“Bye Hunter. Bye Rose. Rose, don’t forget. You will be able to shine, just not now. Cerulean City’s just a route and a cave away. Hang on.”

“Okay Professor,” Rose replied, taking in the thought. “We’ll see you later.” Rose pressed the “end” button, and the screen turned to black. “Let’s head out.” She smiled, encouragingly. “There’s a Gym Badge with your name on it. And hopefully, Contest training for me.”

“Sure,” Hunter replied, collecting both Pokédexes and handing the pink one to Rose. “Bye Nurse Joy!” Joy waved. “And hello Pewter Gym,” he muttered, quickly walking out the door, leaving Rose to run after him.

Got the chapter up after....a month at least? I've gotta get proactive with this. No excuses.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Chapter 8: Gym of Rock
The sun had begun to set when the pair arrived at the entrance of the Pewter City Gym. The Gym’s façade was adorned with a large-scale Boulder Badge on the left, an octagonal dome shape designed like a rock. The part of the wall that jutted out was colored a translucent gray. There was a white sign next to the gym, and what would be a garden was covered in small, smooth stones. Rose crouched down to read the sign. “Pewter City Gym,” She began. “Leader: Brock. The Rock-Solid Pokémon Trainer.” She looked lower. “Type: Rock,” she quoted. “Clever. Ready, Hunter?”

Hunter shut his Pokédex, trying to put a strategy together. “Yeah, let’s go.” He pulled open the door, and two staff members greeted him and Rose. They were dressed similarly to Logan at Viridian City Gym, but with the Boulder Badge and a nametag on the left side of their stone gray and brown uniforms.

The man on the left spoke. “Welcome to Pewter Gym, my name’s Mason. How can I help?”

“I’m headed to the training center to gear up for my Gym Battle,” Hunter responded.

The girl, whose name tag read “Jade”, spoke up. “Okay. Is there anybody in specific you were looking for?”

Rose stepped in. “We talked to Professor Oak about fifteen minutes ago. He recommended Forrest. If he’s not busy, is it possible we train with him?”

“Let me check.” Jade walked off down the left corridor.

“So,” Mason said, breaking the silence. “You’re both Trainers?”
Before Hunter could affirm the question, Rose cut in. “He is, but I’m planning to take on Contests.”

“Oh, so you’re a contest Trainer. Very few people take on both, and when they do, they tend to pick one over the other. Most of the time the guys are Gym Trainers, but there are the rare few. Even rarer are those who do stick with both events. I hear the next Contest will be in Cerulean City, but you know how things are. Things come up and places move.”

Rose nodded, with an “I’ve heard this all before” look. “I know, but-”

Jade sprinted in, panting. “Hunter, Forrest is waiting in the Training Center for you. You better hurry up if you want to get the Gym battle in before tonight, too.”

Hunter picked up his backpack. “Cool. Rose, let’s go. I know it’s not your thing, competitive battling and all, but at least come on and try. It’ll strengthen your Contest team of two,” he sympathized.

“That sounds like fun,” Rose responded, a little reluctant about what she was about to say next. “But I overheard Jade saying how she used to be in Contests, and I’m going to see if she’ll help me out.

“Oh.” Hunter said, almost sorry he’d brought it up. “Have fun, then. Mason?” He turned. Mason looked up from whatever he was doing behind the counter. “Can you make sure you tell Jade and Rose when I’m ready for my battle?” Mason nodded, and Hunter walked off to the Training Room. Jade and Rose walked out the Gym doors to an open field, and Mason was left all alone.

Hunter reached the doors of the Training Room. The large silver doors’ knobs were in the shape of an enlarged Boulder Badge. He yanked one of them open, and a boy with shaggy brown hair and a two-tone green polo shirt stood before him.

“So you’re Hunter,” the boy said. He appeared to be about twelve of thirteen years of age. He smiled. “I’m Forrest,” he said, extending his hand out.
Hunter took Forrest’s hand and shook it firmly. His eyes were fixed on Forrest’s. “Um,” he stuttered, “is there something wrong with your eyes? I mean, a lot of people have probably asked you about it, but-”

“Argh!” Forrest was ticked. “There’s nothing wrong with my eyes! God, when will people stop asking me that! For the record, IT RUNS IN MY FAMILY!” He paused to relax himself. “So, let’s get to training. Come on, I’ve reserved Field One- it’s the one on the left- for us. Having your brother as Gym Leader has so many perks,” he chuckled. “Come on, let’s go.” Hunter and Forrest walked together down to the field and split at the middle, Hunter breaking to the left and Forrest to the right. “You ready?” Hunter nodded. Forrest clicked the button on the Pokéball and the metal sphere expanded at least twofold. “Here we go!” He threw the containment device like a baseball, about fifteen feet deep or so into the playing field at which point it exploded open to reveal a small rock-shaped Pokémon.

“Hm. Geodude, if I’m not mistaken. Nidoran, ready? Go!” Hunter exclaimed, sending his own Pokéball soaring a quarter the length of the field, releasing the purple rodent. “Nidoran, Double Kick!” He commanded. Nidoran soared into the air one foot extended to land square onto the rock with hands below.

Forrest extended a hand with a pointed finger. “Geodude, use Rock Throw!” From out of nowhere, small rocks, maybe a quarter or so the size of Geodude, materialized and Geodude proceeded to hurl them at Nidoran, knocking it out of its flight. “Hey Hunter, a little tip,” Forrest called. “Don’t leap straight in the air. Assess your enemy first unless you know you can defend yourself. In terms of defense, use offensive attacks as defense, or a Psychic attack like Confusion or Psychic comes in handy.” Make sure Nidoran’s alright and this time, try to stay stationary and use Double Kick or another move to defend Rock Throw. Geodude, another round of Rock Throw, please.” Geodude released another storm of rocks.

Hunter’s mouth opened, as if a lightbulb had turned on above him. “Nidoran, quick! Use Confusion to send the rocks back at the enemy! Hurry!” Nidoran yelped an affirmative squeal, and its eyes glowed blue while Nidoran focused entirely on the projectiles. Almost seconds after the Nidoran began to focus, the projected pebbles emitted a bluish aura around them. A cry from Nidoran sent the rocks hurtling back at Geodude, who took them head on.

“Nice job,” Forrest complimented. “How did you pick up Confusion?”

“Egg move,” Hunter beamed.

“So you raised it yourself then?”

“No, Rose caught it in the wild. So it’s more like a lucky break.”

Meanwhile outside, Rose and Jade was locked in another kind of battle. This one was, rather than one of brute force and offense, relied heavily on finesse, beauty, and thought. The word for it: contests.

“Ready, Rose?” Jade inquired, about to start a new trial. “Try that new strategy I just told you about.”

Rose took a long, deep breath to remove herself from the outside world and focus mainly on Jade’s strategy, much like a musician would before giving a performance. “The team trick?” Jade nodded. “Alright. Squirtle, Caterpie, get back up.” The one-foot tall blue turtle and half-as-tall caterpillar rose up from the earth.

“Caterpie, use String Shot! Squirtle, Bubble right up along the string!” Immediately, a length of string was spat out from Caterpie’s mouth, similar to the kind a spider might use to spin its web. Squirtle adorned the sticky string with tiny, delicate bubbles, like glass ornaments on a Christmas tree. When the sun shone on the arrangement just right, it sparkled.

Jade was awed. “That looks incredible,” she began. Rose beamed like the sun. “But it’s rather basic,” she concluded, placing her hand on her mouth in a thoughtful manner.

Rose’s expression changed to an almost annoyed look. “Basic?! I’ve only had Pokemon for maybe a week, and you’re calling it basic?!” She stopped to breathe, exasperated.

Jade retracted. “Hey I’m sorry, but there’s a couple little things you can do to give it more appeal,” she said quickly, trying to relax Rose. “Why don’t we take five? I think your friend may be ready for his battle. Let’s go check.” Rose nodded, brought her Pokemon back to their Pokeballs, and walked off to the Gym.

Hunter just pulled open the door to the Gym’s battlefield before an announcement boomed over the PA. “Attention, Trainers. Any competitor not currently in the battlefield by the time this announcement ends will not be allowed a battle today. Thank you.”

Thank God I made it in time, Hunter thought. Here I come. On the far side of the field was a man about 17 years old with spiky hair, not unlike his brother’s. He wore, instead of the grey uniform, an orange sweater with grey cargo pants and workboots. “My brother has been telling me about you,” he began. “My name’s Brock, I’m the-” a beeping noise sounded. He pulled out a device similar to that of a cell phone. “Whoops, gotta go,” he said hurriedly. “Forrest! Come and take over for me!”

Hunter’s eyes widened. “WHAT?” He exclaimed.

Forrest walked out. He smirked and chuckled. “So we meet again,” he mused.

“Yeah, no kidding,” Hunter replied, trying to match Forrest’s sarcastic tones. “Let’s get down to it.”

“Okay,” Forrest said, still speaking coolly. “Pete, the rules, please.”

The man standing on the sideline, apparently Pete, began to speak, just loud enough to be able to hear him from either side of the field. “This Pewter City Gym Battle will be a two-versus-two battle between the substitute Gym Leader Forrest and the challenger Hunter Peterson from Pallet Town. Are the challengers ready?” The boys nodded and grunted affirmatively. “Battle begin!” The adversaries quickly threw out their own Pokeballs, Hunter opening with Charmander, and Forrest with Geodude.

“Hey, Geodude, use Rock Throw! This’ll be easy!” Forrest commanded, chuckling.

“Charmander, Smokescreen. God, why didn’t I think of this before? Charmander, attack and return! Nidoran, Double Kick!” Hunter said, thinking as fast as any ten-year-old could. “If this works, I should get an upper hand.” Nidoran set up for an attack that, according to Hunter, should counteract the boulder barrage. But Murphy’s Law wouldn’t allow it. The boulders crashed on Nidoran, severely damaging it. Nidoran, charge in and Double Kick!”

Forrest moved with a quiet confidence. “Geodude, Rock Tomb,” he ordered coolly. Geodude, from nowhere, created four giant rocks, encasing it.” Nidoran’s Double Kick came in, braking through the wall of stone, and causing damage from the attack and Geodude’s defense. “Geo...” Geodude moaned, its eyes spirals.

Pete raised a flag. “Geodude can no longer battle. Hunter wins the first matchup. Continue.”

Forrest scowled. “Geodude, return. Zubat!”

“A what?” Hunter inquired, pulling out his Pokedex.

“Zubat,” it said. “The Bat Pokemon. Forms colonies in perpetually dark places. Uses ultrasonic waves to identify and approach targets.” Hunter pressed a button. “Type: Poison-Flying.”

“Wait, Poison-Flying?!” Hunter exclaimed. “This is a Rock-type Gym!”

“What’s your point? Volkner- he’s a Gym Leader in Sinnoh- has been using Water- and Normal-Types for quite some time, even though he’s an Electric-Type Gym,” Forrest retorted.

“Whatever. Nidoran, Confusion!” Nidoran’s eyes glowed icy blue, and an aura of the same color outlined Zubat. A cry from Nidoran sent its adversary flying. Zubat laid face first on the battlefield, unmoving.

Pete counted backwards, a stopwatch counting what could be the end of the match. “3.”

Zubat remained in the same position. “2.”

“Come on,” Forrest willed Zubat.

“Stay there, don’t move,” Hunter hoped.

“1.” Zubat flipped over, it’s eyes similar to that of Geodude’s. “Zubat is unable to battle. Hunter is victorious over Forrest. Congratulations.”
Hunter jumped. “I won? I won! Holy God, I won!”

“Hold it,” Forrest said. “You don’t get the badge.”

“Why not? I won!”

“But I’m not the Gym Leader.”

“That’s just cheap.” The door creaked open, to Rose’s screams. “Put me down! Listen, my friend is- oh. Hi, Hunter. I see you’ve finished the battle.”

“Yeah, I won, too. This cheapskate won’t give me the badge.”

“Why?” Rose asked.

“Because he’s not the Gym Leader.”

“Well, it’s a legit reason.”

“No, it’s not,” Pete broke in. “Brock made it clear that Forrest would sub for him, thus making it an official Gym Battle. If Forrest was to, say, have a random battle for fun, it would not count. This,” he paused for emphasis. “Does.”

“I’m gonna get my badge! I’m gonna get my badge!” Hunter singsonged.
Forrest sighed and rolled his eyes. “Fine. “As,” he gave a look to Pete. “Substitute Gym Leader, I present you, Hunter, with the Boulder Badge and a Kanto Region-issued Badge Case. Don’t lose ‘em.”

“I won’t,” Hunter said triumphantly, turning to leave.

Rose giggled. “Of course you won’t forget them, you’ll leave them in Forrest’s care.”

“Oh. Right.”

“Congratulations, Hunter. Sorry for being a jerk about the whole thing,” Forrest said, extending a hand.

Hunter took it. “Thanks. Tell Brock I’m waiting to battle him and only him.”

Forrest smiled. “I will.”

Hunter and Rose waved. “Bye!” They dismissed, walking in success and joy out the doors of the Gym and towards the Pokemon Center to rest up.

(this better be the last time I make updates...)
If you're wondering where the next chapter is, I wrote some of it, got "editor-itis" and rewrote half of what I wrote. I also have a crapload of homework and then some. This week's crazy, and I'm praying for a free moment.

Having a "GOD I HATE HONORS CLASSES" moment.

WOO triple post. HAHA no. I have a bit of news.
I was planning on wrapping up Chapter 9 (wow, already?) of the fic. However, my computer just basically crashed and Apple had to wipe out my files. So now I have no story, even though its on a flash drive (which has only like 3 chapters). I'm in the process of retrieving the story from here and restarting (*sarcasm* woohoo) Chap. 9.

So It'll basically be updates for now. Just till further notice.

Please bear with me.
Thanks,
~SN

Last edited:
I've finally cracked down to write this next chapter. This is the first chapter where I'm proud to say that this is my work. What better way to set an unfortunate scene then with some rain?

But before I post it, I just want to apologize for the way I used to respond to comments. I was pretty naive and immature for 13, and a lot of maturity happens in the course of a year. I'm nowhere close to the way I acted when I first wrote this. Enjoy Chapter 9 (already?).
~~~

Chapter 9: Rain on My Parade
A heavy downpour soaked the asphalt and cobblestone of the Pewter City Streets; a thick layer of gloomy, dark gray clouds blocked out any microscopic ray of sun. It wouldn’t be wrong to say that it appeared to be a late night in the city.

The neon reddish-orange Pokemon Center sign, all of a large “P”, flicked occasionally, making the typical hum of any neon light. It was faint, and the sign’s blinking was sparse, but the whole scene looked like something out of a dark movie. Inside the Pewter City Pokemon Center, the line at the desk numbered enough to the point that a large stack of cards were brought out on a tray table. “Take one,” the sign on the table blared. Take a number, a seat, and stay warm and dry.

Meanwhile, Nurse Joy was behind the desk as usual, her Chansey running errands and directing Trainers where to sit, where to go, and what to do. It was a calm, organized chaos that moved swiftly, as many Trainers leaving the line as there were getting into it. Hunter and Rose shoved their way out of the door, using whatever they had on hand to attempt to stay dry. It was almost random and unfortunate misfortune that this occurred, but the two ten-year olds trudged on, making it a point to get to Mount Moon in the quickest manner possible. They were sprinting down the cobblestone road when they found themselves scampering and splashing through the turned-muddy Route 3. “Ew, gross,” Rose complained, jumping up onto some large rocks to keep her lower half dry.

“Oh come on,” Hunter said in an attempt to sway Rose to join him in his muddy trek. “It’s not that bad. It could be flooded. Then we’d be,” he chuckled. “Getting our feet wet.”

Rose scowled. “So not the time for that. Let’s see what I can do to help. Caterpie? String Shot a...um....carpet, if you will.” She tossed out the Pokeball, the worm inside shooting out white cobwebby material across Route 3 widthwise. The sticky white stuff sunk right into the mud. “Aw no,” Rose sighed, disappointed. “Whatever. I’ll keep moving. Not like I expect anyone to help me,” she insinuated directly. “Whatever,” she said, sighing again, returning Caterpie in its Pokeball. Hunter’s Pidgey, however, was perched on a fallen log, cooing and letting the rain trickle off of the leaves of a tall fern and onto its soft, downy feathers.

Hunter giggled in the same way that one would when watching a cute viral video. “Okay Pidgey, bathtime’s over,” he chuckled, holding out a Pokeball.

“Hunter, I’m sitting here soaking wet and I need to get to the Mount Moon Pokemon Center so I can dry up,” Rose whined.

“Well, excuse me princess,” Hunter retorted. “If we go any faster, we’ll be face down in the mud. Pick one: wet or muddy.”

Rose groaned. “Fine. I wish someone would ride up in, like, an ATV and drive us off to the Pokemon Center.” The path turned rocky, the moderately dense ferns and brush turning sparse and sporadic. Cliffs and steep hills made Route 3 a dangerous place to travel in inclement weather. As if God had heard her prayers, a Jeep came speeding down the mud, splashing mud and dirt all over the green foliage.

The man that jumped out of the Jeep jumped out fearlessly, his white, red, and black boots now slathered in the muck, his black and gold shorts narrowly avoiding the mud. He adjusted his short-cut red jacket and ran a hand through his dark navy blue hair, brought to two points on either side of his head “Hey,” he said. “You two look like you’re in need of a ride. Hop in.” He smiled.

Rose flipped her hair, sending water flying everywhere. “Well hello there,” she flirted. “You think you can take us to the Mount Moon Pokemon Center?”

The man, maybe eighteen or so, held his hands out as if to tell Rose to back off. “Funny you should ask,” he said awkwardly, cautiously eyeing Rose. “I’m just about to head over to Mount Moon. What are your names?”

Hunter stepped in, annoyed by Rose’s attempt to get a guy. “I’m Hunter.” He pushed Rose out of the way. She stumbled over a rock and managed to break out of her lovestruck gaze to save herself from a muddy doom. “And the girl whose got a date with the dirt over there, you know, the one trying to flirt with you? That’s Rose. So, if it’s not out of your way, would you mind taking us-”

“To Mount Moon PC, I know,” the young man finished. “By the way, I’m Lunick, but you can just call me Nick. Come on; time’s a-wastin’,” he joked, flashing another smile. Hunter obediently climbed up into the back of the Jeep, while Rose picked herself out of her peril, pulling out a towel and placing it in the left side backseat of the truck. Another young man, about the same age as Nick, was waiting for him to cover the hood of the truck. He had bushy, green neck-length hair, and his pants were tucked neatly into his boots. He sat buckled in on the front passenger side.

Nick finally hopped into the Jeep. “Spenser, I picked up two novice Trainers. Meet Hunter and Rose. Oh, don’t be shy, introduce yourself.”

The green-haired man, evidently Spenser, turned around, raising up a hand. The quartet sped off through the rocky views of Route 3. “So.” Spenser lingered on the word, collecting his thoughts. “Tell us a little about yourselves.”

“Well, I’m Rose Taylor. I’m from Pallet Town, and I’ve only been on the road for almost a week now with Hunter here. I’m going to do my first Contest in Cerulean City hopefully. So far I’m just following Hunter, waiting for my chance to shine.”

“I’m Hunter Peterson.” I’m also from Pallet; been traveling with Rose.” He paused to cough. “Got the Boulder Badge yesterday and I’m going to get my second in Cerulean City. I’m just continuing the story my dad started.”

“Looks like Cerulean City will be a major point for the two of you,” Nick stated plainly, not breaking focus from the road. “Like I said, I’m Lunick, you can call me Nick. I’m a Pokemon Ranger here. I transferred from the school and the Ranger HQ in the Fiore region.”

Rose was intrigued. “Pokemon Ranger?”

“Yeah, we’re like the Police, only different. See I’ve got a couple Pokeballs; they’re only for the two Pokemon I’ve had since I began traveling in Johto as a Trainer like you, Hunter. Only the ones that have done me best. I’ve got a Capture Styler- think of it as a temporary Pokeball.”

It was Hunter now who was captured in Nick’s story. “So how does it work?”

“I’ll answer that,” Spenser interrupted. “It works like a Pokeball in the sense that you have to capture and befriend the target. You usually use the captured Pokemon for a brief task, then the capture breaks. If you seriously intend on keeping it- and I mean seriously- you can use a Pokeball, but rangers get those really rarely.”

“And who are you again?” Rose interrogated.

Spenser laughed, shaking his head, his long green hair swaying about. “I’m Spenser, I’m a Ranger too. I, too, transferred from Fiore like Nick, but only a couple months before him. We never met before then. It’s cra...What was that?” Spenser’s tone changed from laid back to fervently grave. The sand-colored Jeep sputtered to a halt, smoke spouting out from under the hood, the rain pitter-pattering all over the body. “I’m going to take a guess and say that’s bad,” Spenser stated.

Lunick was well ahead of Spenser, already on the phone. “Hey, Lana,” he said, trying not do sound too urgent. “Can you get Chris or Jen out here, or some other mechanic? What do you mean they’re all busy, I’ve got two novice Trainers, me, and Spense in the car on Route 3 East in the pouring rain. Yes, the car’s broken down, why else do you think I’m calling you, I’m not asking you out!” His cheeks were red, his voice was rising, and he was clearly in a state of unbreakable panic. “Are any other of the Mechanics available? Greg, Bill, anyone?” he groaned. “Well the car’s smoking. Literally billowing smoke. I can hang here and get Spense to go to the Mount Moon PC, but I doubt anyone will be there to help. Yeah, you’re right. I’ll see you.” He cursed under his breath, slamming his hand into a button that sent the headlights into a rhythmic blinking and clicking.

“Y’all are going to have to walk from here,” Spenser said. Nick was already outside with the hood of the truck open, using any method of ventilation to keep the car from overheating. The rain helped to keep the engine cool, however, it just created more steam and smoke than it did cool it off.

“I’m sorry guys,” Nick apologized, still focused on the problem at hand. “It’s not really too much further, maybe less than a quarter mile.” He gazed into the storm, squinting. “I can faintly make out a neon ‘P’, so you shouldn’t have much more of a walk left. I’ll send Spense with you; he’s going in that direction anyways.”

“No it’s fine,” Rose responded. “We don’t need a chaperone, it’s only a short walk. Thanks for the offer.”

“Yeah,” Hunter put in. “You need some help with that smoking Jeep.”

“Well, good luck then,” Lunick said, accepting their decline for help. “Who knows? It’s a small world; we’ll probably meet again somewhere.”

“Thanks again for the ride,” Hunter thanked, nudging Rose to do the same. She did and the two novices turned to head down the Route 3/Route 4 border.

Only minutes went by, but it felt as if the hours dragged along, each second lingering for as long as it could possibly before the next one took charge. The once downpouring rain lightened up slightly but showed no sign of a letup. The road was a large mud puddle in some areas.

“Hey, I think I see the Pokemon Center a little clearer!” Hunter exclaimed.

Rose squinted through the drizzle, still advancing. “I definitely see it coming closer. Thankfully too, I’m so ridiculously soaked it’s not even funny.” Her mid-length red-brown hair was clinging to her face, her clothes drenched and sticking to her body like saran wrap. “It’s hard to tell, though. I’m not sure whether or not I’m seeing things.”

“No, I think we’re just about there.” Another set of lights turned on; these operated like police sirens, the orange lights rotating. The lights were no emergency signal; they acted light little lighthouses, signaling to oncoming trainers that there was an area for rest.

“We’re closer! I see lights near the ground- it’s got to be a door, right?” Rose took off, a complete turnaround from her miserable demeanor only minutes prior. Hunter stopped, shrugged and followed suit. The mud puddles that they so carefully treaded around were sprinted through swiftly. Nothing could stop them from reaching that Pokemon Center. Even the steep cliffs warranted no challenge. The pair scaled rocks and got dirty to reach their goal. The Pokemon Center was staring them right in the face, taunting them as if to say “you can’t reach me. You’re weak. You’re too weak to go that last few yards. You’ll never get here. Failures.”

“...Almost...there...” Hunter panted, forcing his body to push that extra step up the cliff. It was a straight run after that last rocky wall.

“So close...” Rose breathed, panting out each word. Her backpack, however necessary, weighed her down, yet somehow, she found the power to continue on. Her goal: A well-earned spot on a couch in the Pokemon Center.

One muddy pants leg, and then another. Hunter heaved himself up, turning to help his comrade. Rose held a hand up, fatigue nearly taking over her body. “I will make it,” Rose willed. “I can do this.”

“Come on, Rose, just a little more!” Hunter cheered. “Stretch! I got you!”

“I am! Lean forward more!”

“I got you! Get your feet on the flat part and walk up!”

“I’m trying, I’m trying!”

“You’ve got a couple more inches!” With a grunt, Hunter hoisted Rose up onto the flat road. “Rose, it’s almost sunset. I don’t care what happens next, just run until you land on a couch.” He took a deep breath. “Three, two, one. Ready, set, RUN!” The pair, tired as they were, sprinted as fast as they could. The rain became heavier, the steady and light rain becoming a downpour, fueling their hunger for success tenfold. “Faster!”

Rose didn’t respond, too out of breath from scaling cliffs and running. She felt on top of the world. Nothing can stop me, she thought. It was an attempt to will her legs to not go limp. I’m invincible.

The hum of the neon “P” quietly blared in the steady, dismal downpour. The ten-year olds were a muddy, wet mess, heading straight for the couch. “Oh, no,” Nurse Joy reprimanded. “Chansey, take them to the showers, and give them a room.”

“Thank you....so much...” Rose panted, trying to calm herself. Chansey stuffed two soft, white towels in its pouch, handing its egg to Hunter. The pink humanoid egg motioned to Hunter, then Rose. “You want us to eat it?” Chansey nodded.

Hunter tentatively bit into it and swallowed. “Mmm, thanks!” He starting to nearly inhale the delicate item.

“Hey, save some for me!” Rose, too, carefully bit into it. “Wow.” She swallowed. “That’s like nothing I’ve ever had before. It’s....refreshing.” Chansey waved a hand and walked on, opening a room and leading them to the showers. It pointed at the beds, then swiped a hand across its body as if to say “don’t sit there”. The pair thanked Nurse Joy’s co-worker again, and it left the room, slamming the door behind it.

“I’m first!” Hunter exclaimed, dashing off into the bathroom, flipping the switch on the fan.

Rose stood outside, just waiting to melt into the floor of the shower. She remained statuesque on one of the soft, downy towels so as to not dirty the rug, trying to ignore Hunter’s outcries of “Oh, this feels so good!” and his various other expressions of “oohs” and “aahs”. Inside the steamy bathroom, Hunter cranked the knob off, choking the flow of the hot water. He creaked open the door, sending out a thick mass of water vapor. Rose flew into the shower, bowling over Hunter, and clicking on the fan again. “Oh my God! This feels amazing!”

Rose let the perfectly-heated water caress down her body, the gentle stream washing away all the hardships of the day’s events. The water cleansed and relaxed her, the steam warming her. Rose forgot everything that happened, from Lunick to the final dash into the Pokemon Center. Every negative thought fled from her mind, leaving her optimistic about the road ahead. She exited the bathroom and slipped into jeans, a sweatshirt, and her sneakers. She opened her notebook. “Today was rough,” she wrote. “We got to the Mount Moon Pokemon Center. We struggled through Route 3 because it poured and it’s really rocky, so we were a mess getting here. We’re heading for Mount Moon and Cerulean City tomorrow.” She paused. “My shining moment is so close.” With that, Rose slammed the notebook shut. “Hunter, we’re out of here!” She called.

Hunter walked out, shoving Richard Peterson’s cap down on his drying head. “Cool. Mount Moon, here we come.” They sped down the staircase, dropping 500 Pokedollars on the counter. A quick thanks and Hunter and Rose were out the door.

The rain finally subsided, leaving the atmosphere still overcast. A blind elderly man stood between the Pokemon Center and the Mount Moon entrance. He supported himself on a gnarled wooden walking stick, his poncho blanketing his hunched body. His ghostly gray-white hair was nearly invisible. “You two youngsters,” the old man beckoned. “I have the news of your future.”

“Um, alright,” Hunter said, perplexed. “What is this ‘news of the future’?”

“I will tell you,” the clairvoyant rasped. “But only if you are deserving.”

“Are we deserving?”

“I will tell you,” the clairvoyant whispered again, “but only if you are deserving.”

“You already said that,” Rose barked. “How do we know if we are deserving?”

The clairvoyant reached under his poncho, revealing a red and white metal sphere. “Battle me and know if you are deserving.”

Got Chapter 10 done. Well, it's actually been done for awhile, just haven't had a chance to upload it (and edit it). I've found life advice in the Bible, but not until now did I find writing idea there. This one is pretty short, but its a filler and if I had added anything more (another "storyline", if you will, that should be in its own chapter), it would have taken away from the foreshadowing in this chapter. Buon Appetito.
-----
Chapter 10: Sermon on the Mount Moon
Hunter stepped forward. “Bring it on! I’ll prove my worth now!”

“Dude,” Rose cautioned. “Watch the arrogance.”

The blind medium had other plans. “No.” He pointed a bony index finger at Rose. “You must battle me.”

Rose was taken aback. “Me? No, no. Excuse me, but I’m no Trainer. I do contests.”

“NO!” The medium moaned. “You are the one chosen by the stars to battle me!”

“Rose, just do it,” Hunter whispered, raising an eyebrow at the medium’s actions. “I’ll be judging; it’ll be one-on-one.”

“Whenever you’re ready,” the medium ordered.

“Oh, I’m ready.”

“This battle will be versus the.... the... um... mysterious old man standing near Mount Moon and Rose Taylor from Pallet Town. The match will be one versus one and the first Trainer to run out of available Pokemon will be declared the loser. Are there any objections?” Hunter called out, relying on his slacking off from school to watch televised battles. He paused. No objections. “No questions? Okay! Battle begin!”

“Caterpie!” Rose pitched the Pokeball, sending the little green worm out onto the field.
“Abra, go.” The seer didn’t even release the Pokeball from his grip, but it cracked open to reveal the yellow catlike figure inside. “Abra, Mega Punch.” Abra surged forward, fist outstretched.

“Caterpie, String Shot the punch and ground him!” Caterpie spat a string of silky webbing out towards the Psychic yellow humanoid, entangling its fist. The green worm jerked its head down and the web followed suit, the Abra slammed flat on its face.

“Abra, Psywave.” Nothing happened. “Abra, Psywave,” the medium repeated. Again, nothing happened.

Hunter raised his right arm, stiffening it. “Abra is unable to continue battling,” he shouted clearly. “The winner of the match is Rose.”

Caterpie was no doubt suffering minor fatigue; it was its first major battle. The little green worm panted and found the little strength it had left to raise its head high, looking out at the sun. Gradually, the tiny caterpillar glowed slivery white. Rose’s expression changed suddenly from elation to worry. “What’s going on?” The white-silver silhouette began to morph into a chrysalis shape, first quickly, the morphing getting gradually slower and slower. At this point, the white-silver shadow was a half-foot amorphous blob. Parts of the blob bubbled out and stiffened, forming points at either end and two from the upper sides. Then it changed color to a medium green with slightly darker details, retaining nothing from its previous form. “What...What is that thing?” Rose thought aloud, her voice carrying a lead-heavy underlying tone of concern. She pulled out the soft pink Pokedex.

“Metapod,” the technologically advanced piece of scrap metal said digitally. “The Cocoon Pokemon and evolved form of Caterpie. Hardens its shell to protect itself. However, a large impact may cause it to pop out of its shell.” The pocket computer beeped. “New attack.” It repeated those two words, droning on, until Rose slammed an index finger into a side button. “New attack: Harden. Moveset is currently: Tackle, String Shot, Harden.” She pressed another button. “Next evolution: Butterfree.” She pressed another button and a picture of a Butterfly-shaped creature appeared on the screen.

Rose sighed, becoming critical and bitter. So I’m dealing with this thing until I get my prize. If the ugly duckling became a swan, maybe my “ugly duckling” will turn into a work of beauty, too.

The soothsayer nodded his head, his slightly balding head shining faintly in the sunlight. “So you are deserving of my knowledge. Please sit and hear what I have to say.” Obediently, Hunter and Rose went to get comfortable on a nearby boulder. After the soothsayer let them sit he scaled a small bluff of rock jutting out from the mountain. After he climbed it, he began to speak to them. “Hunter,” the soothsayer began.

“How do you know my name?” Hunter inquired.

“That does not matter. You are the younger incarnation of your late father. Take the narrow road. The wide road is open and clear, and many travel down it. But the narrow road, though arduous, will pay off in the long run.” The medium paused to collect his thoughts and to allow Hunter to let the wise words of the clairvoyant sink in.

“How do you know my father?” Hunter again inquired.

“That also does not matter. Rose,” the channeler began again, “Your debut is close, yet far away. Do not judge others and their actions unless you want others to judge you and your actions. Your talent is budding; let it flower at Cerulean City.”

“Alright, you’re really creeping me out, how you know so much about us. But your advice is really helpful. Thank you,” Rose reflected.

“I am not yet finished. As for both of you, enjoy your time together with one another. You will not be together in mere months. Before you leave for a new land, your roads will part so that you both can follow your fates.”

“What do you mean, ‘a new land?’” Hunter inquired.

“You will have to wait until it happens, for it will.”

“And how do you know this?” Rose demanded, skeptical.

“The stars have spoken.”

“Listen starbrain,” Hunter began, blood instanly boiling, patience dropping. “Don’t you start with this ‘star alignment’ mumbo jumbo. Are you finished now? I refuse to wait around any longer.”

“I am finished,” the clairvoyant said in the same mystical manner he’d been speaking in, slowly and deeply. He leapt down from his perch, a complete irony considering the state the elderly man was in. “Just keep this lecture with you and do not forget it. May the stars’ fortune lie in your hearts.”

“Uh, thank you. I think.” Rose replied, picking up her pack and tugging Hunter’s shoulder. “Come on, kid, let’s go.”

Hunter rose from the boulder, picking up his blue backpack and slinging it over his shoulder. “Cerulean City, here I come!”

“Don’t jump too far,” Rose cautioned. “We’ve got a mountain chain to pass first.”

“Oh. Right. Well, let’s go, then. I don’t want to wait any longer.”

“Then off we go.” The twosome trotted off, into the small boring out of the side of the rocky barrier. Rose’s head was tilted back, following the ominous and intimidating mountain up as far as she could and even then, the mountain continued into the sky. “I don’t know about this,” Rose worries, the butterflies fluttering around in her innards.

“Do you, or do you not want to take part in a contest?” Hunter threatened. “I know you’re scared, but if we don’t get there in time, you’ll miss out. And I don’t want that. Let’s move.” Rose rolled her eyes and walked into Mount Moon with Hunter, met with everything contradictory to what they had assumed, based of off television shows that they had watched in recent years.

Last edited:
Just finished and updated the Prologue writeover and I'm going to get started on a Chapter 1 massive writeover soon. But first I'll finish Chap 11.

Alright, it's been a good month and a half (which is impressive amid midterms and such), but Chap. 11 is here. I'm going to start a run of rewrites so no new content for awhile.
::::

Chapter 11: Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Moon Stone
Contrary to the lit-up movie and television show sets, the novice pair were met with darkness. Pure, unadulterated, pitch black darkness. Rose screamed. “HUNTER!”

“What? I’m right here. I think.”

“I can’t see a thing! My hand, you, rocks, nothing! Nada, Niente, Zilch!” Unbeknownst to Hunter, Rose turned and ran, back out onto Route 3. Minutes later, and whimpering subsiding, a beam of light penetrated the shadows of the cavern’s innards. Rose sent it around the cave. Small mosses grew on the rough, brown, rocky cave walls. Small mushroom-backed crablike beings scuttled up and down these walls. Kanto’s natural labyrinth was illuminated right before the novices’ eyes.

“Whoa...” Hunter gawked, taken aback by the sheer enormity of it all. He shook his head and came back to his senses. “Wait. We’re supposed to get through this? You’re kidding me, right?”

Rose gave him a look that had “I told you so” written all over it. “Not so confident anymore now, are you?” She jibed.

“Honestly, not at all.” Hunter chuckled nervously.

“Well do you, or do you now want to take part in the Cerulean Gym battle?” Rose shot back, reiterating Hunter’s words from only five minutes prior. “Look, I know you’re shocked and discouraged, but if we don’t get there in time, I can’t take part in my contest, and I know you want to battle the actual Gym Leader this time.” She advanced into the maze, only pausing to send a fast beckon to Hunter. “Let’s move.”

“Wait, Rose! Wait!” Hunter whined. “You’ve got the flashlight!” He sighed. “And now I’m all left alone,” he thought aloud, running to catch up.

Rose smirked in the shadows, hearing Hunter’s plea via echo. Works every time, she thought, chuckling. The flashlight’s impenetrable yellow-white beam was blocked by the figure of a ten-year old child sprinting up, halting fifteen or so feet before knocking into Rose. The figure was doubled over, panting heavily, sweat dripping from his brow even with the cool cavern climate.
“Wow, Hunter. My mom put a flashlight in both our backpacks.” Hunter lifted his head, his expression screaming “you’re kidding, right?”. She giggled. “You didn’t check did you?”

Hunter shook his head, trying to say “no”, but still too out of breath from running. The twosome paused until Hunter finished recuperating. Hunter dug the flashlight out of his backpack and clicked it on, heading off with Rose to a bored out ladder. “Come on,” Hunter pressured, still subtly trying to catch his breath. “Let’s get down there.”

“I don’t want to miss my Contest,” Rose reminded.

“We won’t. The TV shows always clear stuff like this in a half-hour episode.”

“That’s TV. They cut stuff out.”

“My point is,” Hunter began, “that we should be out of here in no later than an hour, maybe an hour and a half.”

Rose groaned. “Fine, we’ll explore. But if we miss that Contest, you’re never gonna hear the end of it.” She got down on her knees and swung her legs around, dangling them to find a rung. “Hunter, shine that flashlight down here! I can’t see!” Hunter obediently shone the strong, incandescent beam down the tunnel, revealing the unnaturally-bored out ladder. Rose tentatively lowered a leg downward, flailing to find another rung in the rock ladder. The continued this process a third time, a fourth, a fifth and twice more before she jumped and her feet met solid ground. “OK,” she panted. “Shut off the flashlight and come down.” She had already pulled out her out flashlight and clicked it on. “Easy does it,” she directed. “Think about one rung at a time, and don’t rush it.”

“Will you shut up? Just keep the flashlight on me and don’t do anything else!” Hunter retorted.

“Just a couple more steps...alright. Jump down,” Rose directed, quieter so Hunter couldn’t hear. Hunter grunted with the force of the impact, pulling his flashlight out of his pocket and clicking it on, shining it back and forth like a security guard might do when on patrol.

“Hey! Another ladder!” Hunter exclaimed.

“Good, let’s hurry over there so we can....hey, what’s that over there?” Rose said, suddenly interrupted by this “thing over there”. Contrary to the darkness pitch black of the cave, it was illuminated blindingly brightly. Small round silhouettes were leaping about around a large glimmering gemstone, shaped sort of ovalish. “Hunter, let’s head over this way. There’s something I want to see.”

“What happened to ‘let’s get out of her I want to make a Contest’?” Hunter reminded.

“Forget that, there’s something over here.” Rose said, breaking from a walk into a slow jog. Hunter sprinted, trying to catch up. The silhouettes were still minding their own, hopping about in a circle, spinning in the air, like some sort of ritual dance. All of the movements were perfectly timed, so when one set landed, the other sprung into the air.

Rose stopped abruptly, mouth gaping. “Whoa...”

Hunter stopped, doubled over. “Wow...” The small dancing beings were not black like their silhouettes, but pink and humanlike and nothing but a large face. the large gem glittered even more brilliantly then before and a large crater allowed moonlight in. “We must have been here awhile, it’s already getting dark.”

“Those things are practically worshipping the rock.” Rose studied the practice. “I wonder why?”

Hunter was a step ahead. “The ‘dex says that the smaller ones are Clefairy and the slightly bigger ones are Clefable.” He turned. Some of the Clefairy were glowing silver-white in mid-jump, landing as Clefable. “Hey, are those Clefairy evolving?”

“Yeah, I think so. But not all of them are.” Rose had out her Pokedex. “It says Clefairy evolve into Clefable by the use of a Moon Stone.” She peeked out from the device and studied the gem. “Is that what that rock is? Hey look!” Lying helplessly outside the ring of dancing Pokemon was a smaller Clefairy, clearly injured and smaller than the rest of the group partaking in the ritual. “I have to do something!” Rose proclaimed. She dashed over to the injured creature, dodging the ritual being performed by the oblivious others.

“Rose, what are you doing?! You’re going to get hurt!” Hunter cautioned, the Clefairy and Clefable still rhythmically dancing, the presence of their injured comrade apparently unbeknownst to them.

“I’ve gotta save it!” Rose exclaimed, scooping up the injured fairy. She waited for the dancing Pokemon to move out of the way before dashing through the crowd and diving, aiming for Hunter. The tiny Clefairy flew in the air, landing smack down on the hard rock floor.

“What are we going to do?” Hunter questioned, not sure whether to leave the Clefairy for the ritual-partakers or take it under his wing to heal.

“We have to take it with us. Hold this flashlight,” Rose instructed. Hunter shrugged and obediently followed. Rose quickly unzipped her backpack and wrote in her journal, periodically checking the Clefairy.

“Now’s not the time for that,” Hunter warned.

Rose ignored him. “...In Mount Moon. Please heal the Clefairy and leave it and Hunter’s Pidgey for us at the Pokemon Center. Thanks, Hunter Peterson and Rose Taylor,” she thought aloud, scribbling out her every thought. “Hunter, now give me Pidgey.”

“WHAT?!”

“I need Pidgey to take this note and the Clefairy.”

“Oh, well in that case, sure,” Hunter quipped sarcastically. “Let it put itself in mortal danger and that stuff.”

“It’ll be fine.” Hunter finally assented and sent out Pidgey. “Listen,” Rose commanded, directing to Pidgey. “Take this note and that Clefairy to the Cerulean City Pokemon Center.” She tied the note around Pidgey with one of her hair elastics. “Now how will I… I know! I’ll capture it!” She picked out a Pokeball and polished it. “I shouldn’t need a defenant, so here goes.” She lobbed the containment device. It shook once, twice, three times freely, as if nothing were struggling in there. It froze and Rose removed the soft ribbon binding her journal shut. “I can do without this,” she decided and threaded the Pokeball’s back hole by folding it thinly, tying the Pokeball to Pidgey. “Okay, carrier pigeon,” Rose said, inspecting her short work. “Off to Cerulean City, and when you get to the Pokemon Center, show Joy the note and wait there for us. No use flying back and risking yourself twice.” Pidgey hooted and took off, struggling at first but finding the power to overcome the burden.

“Now that’s out the way,” Rose declared, clapping her hands together, “let’s follow suit and get the heck out of here.”

“Not until we investigate that rock,” Hunter shot back.
“It’s a Moon Stone. They evolve Clefairy. I read about it in the Pokedex.”

“Oh, well in THAT case...”

“Yeah. In that case, we’ll get going now.” Hunter walked off without Rose. Let her catch up. She could have let me look, he thought, blowing off steam. No. The one time I actually want to be involved with natural beauties, she blows me off. He shot up the rock ladder, rung at a time, still ticked off with Rose. He heaved himself up back to the main room of Mount Moon and paused, searching for an exit.

Rose caught up, prodded Hunter on the arm, and gave him a cross look. “What on earth was that for?”

“You should know. The one time I try and...what’s that you always say? Look at life’s natural beauty? The one time I try and you drag me away!” Hunter exclaimed, fuming.

“Sorry, but I’m certain that it was you who wanted to get in and out, Mister ‘Cerulean Gym, here I come’!”

“Oh excuse me, Miss ‘can’t miss my Contest because my Mom and my sister do them too’.”

Rose growled. “It’s not because of that. I do them because I want to!” She grew excited, exaggerating every word. “I could have done your thing and done Gym battles, but this is what I want to do!”

Hunter ignored her, letting Rose cool down, searching around the pitch-black labyrinth for some opening on the other side of the cavern. The only good thing was that they couldn’t mistake the entrance; the ladder they had climbed up situated them behind a tall rock wall, not tall enough to hit the ceiling of the cave, but tall enough to block out the pair’s past hour, forcing them to move along. “There!” Hunter exclaimed, pointing to a white door-shaped arc, sort of shaped like an inverted parabola. “I think that’s the exit!” But just as Hunter turned to make certain that Rose was still with him (the pair had been doing this the entire time; Mt. Moon is just dark enough for one to get lost), a loud rumbling rattled the rock walls of the cavern. Hunter wheeled around. A rocky avalanche had fragmented the light coming through the exit.

Rose threw her hands up. “Great,” she groaned, “now how are we supposed to get out? And what’s that noise?” A loud mechanical whirring shrilled throughout Mount Moon with the rocky rumble.

Clearly, a man’s voice bellowed, barking orders. “Get those stones up here faster! Careful! Don’t shatter any! The boss will be fuming if you do! Oh, boy, I- I mean we- are gonna get a raise! A huge one at that!”

“Is that who I think it is?” Rose thought aloud. If I’m right, she continued to herself, we could be in some serious trouble.

A round, buzz-cut head poked out of a hole in the ground. “Where are- Hey!”

Rose grinned, nodding her head as if she had just made a fundamental breakthrough. “Thought I might see you here.”

“Rose, what’s going on?” Hunter demanded to know.

The man grinned evilly. “So you remember me, twerp.”

“Again,” Hunter repeated, raising his voice. “What’s going on?”

“Yeah, I do remember. The run in at Route 1 and your idiots in Viridian Forest. How could I forget you?” She paused. “Sonny.”

Hunter’s eyes widened to the size of grapefruits. “Sonny?” He rolled his eyes around, trying to recall the name. “Oh, right! You crushed me way back when. I’ll have you know, I-”

Sonny cut him off. “Shut up. I’ve got no time for your meaningless babble. You see, I’m excavating a giant Moon Stone in the basement beneath us into shards- or rather, having the grunts excavate it. I’ll give these shards to the head honcho at the Midnight Sun HQ. Get a raise. Not have to deal with rookies like you two.”

Hunter raised an eyebrow. “So you’re breaking down a natural worship point for a rare species for your own benefit? And potentially killing all of us if you manage to wreck the very floor we’re standing on?”

“Smart words. Have you improved at all? At, of course, battling. I could use a break. And an easy win.”

“Improved?! Oh, I’ve darn well improved. And I’m ready to kick your midget butt.”

Sonny fumed. “Oh really? Raticate, crush ‘em!” Like the run-in on Route 1, the ex-Rocket admin simply held up a Pokeball to release the large rat inside.

“Really? Pidgey, wipe it out!” Hunter exclaimed.

Rose slapped her palm to her forehead. “Really, Hunter? Pidgey’s with Clefairy.”

“Oh, that’s right. Charmander, go!”

Rose again, performed a facepalm. “Really!?”

“What?”

Rose sighed. “Nidoran.”

“Aw, man, I totally forgot!”

Sonny broke in. “No switches. Raticate, Hyper Fang!”

“Charmander, get in front of the avalanche! We’re getting out of here! Rose, follow me!” Hunter set off after Charmander. “Just keep dodging attacks!” The red-hot lizard nimbly jumped over and around the rocky formations, finally situating itself just in front of the avalanche.

Sonny raised an eyebrow. “Raticate, Iron Tail.”

Timing, Hunter told himself. Timing. “Charmander, jump!” He cried out.

Charmander leapt into the air just as the large rodent’s tail swung across below. Hunter breathed a sigh of relief. It worked! Hunter praised, resting on his accomplishment. The intimidating rock barrier crumbled and crashed from the blow. “Everyone back up! Charmander, return!” Hunter ordered. The light from the exit again flooded the cavern.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Sonny demanded.

“I’d love to stay and fight, but we’ve got places to be!” Hunter declared, running out the cavern into the slowly dimming light of sunset. In front of the pair: another cavern, an urbanized city, and a small golden bridge.

“I think we made it,” Rose breathed. “Bye!”

Alright, it's been a good month and a half (which is impressive amid midterms and such), but Chap. 11 is here. I'm going to start a run of rewrites so no new content for awhile.
::::

Chapter 11: Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Moon Stone
Contrary to the lit-up movie and television show sets, the novice pair were met with darkness. Pure, unadulterated, pitch black darkness. Rose screamed. “HUNTER!”

“What? I’m right here. I think.”

“I can’t see a thing! My hand, you, rocks, nothing! Nada, Niente, Zilch!” Unbeknownst to Hunter, Rose turned and ran, back out onto Route 3. Minutes later, and whimpering subsiding, a beam of light penetrated the shadows of the cavern’s innards. Rose sent it around the cave. Small mosses grew on the rough, brown, rocky cave walls. Small mushroom-backed crablike beings scuttled up and down these walls. Kanto’s natural labyrinth was illuminated right before the novices’ eyes.

“Whoa...” Hunter gawked, taken aback by the sheer enormity of it all. He shook his head and came back to his senses. “Wait. We’re supposed to get through this? You’re kidding me, right?”

Rose gave him a look that had “I told you so” written all over it. “Not so confident anymore now, are you?” She jibed.

“Honestly, not at all.” Hunter chuckled nervously.

“Well do you, or do you now want to take part in the Cerulean Gym battle?” Rose shot back, reiterating Hunter’s words from only five minutes prior. “Look, I know you’re shocked and discouraged, but if we don’t get there in time, I can’t take part in my contest, and I know you want to battle the actual Gym Leader this time.” She advanced into the maze, only pausing to send a fast beckon to Hunter. “Let’s move.”

“Wait, Rose! Wait!” Hunter whined. “You’ve got the flashlight!” He sighed. “And now I’m all left alone,” he thought aloud, running to catch up.

Rose smirked in the shadows, hearing Hunter’s plea via echo. Works every time, she thought, chuckling. The flashlight’s impenetrable yellow-white beam was blocked by the figure of a ten-year old child sprinting up, halting fifteen or so feet before knocking into Rose. The figure was doubled over, panting heavily, sweat dripping from his brow even with the cool cavern climate.
“Wow, Hunter. My mom put a flashlight in both our backpacks.” Hunter lifted his head, his expression screaming “you’re kidding, right?”. She giggled. “You didn’t check did you?”

Hunter shook his head, trying to say “no”, but still too out of breath from running. The twosome paused until Hunter finished recuperating. Hunter dug the flashlight out of his backpack and clicked it on, heading off with Rose to a bored out ladder. “Come on,” Hunter pressured, still subtly trying to catch his breath. “Let’s get down there.”

“I don’t want to miss my Contest,” Rose reminded.

“We won’t. The TV shows always clear stuff like this in a half-hour episode.”

“That’s TV. They cut stuff out.”

“My point is,” Hunter began, “that we should be out of here in no later than an hour, maybe an hour and a half.”

Rose groaned. “Fine, we’ll explore. But if we miss that Contest, you’re never gonna hear the end of it.” She got down on her knees and swung her legs around, dangling them to find a rung. “Hunter, shine that flashlight down here! I can’t see!” Hunter obediently shone the strong, incandescent beam down the tunnel, revealing the unnaturally-bored out ladder. Rose tentatively lowered a leg downward, flailing to find another rung in the rock ladder. The continued this process a third time, a fourth, a fifth and twice more before she jumped and her feet met solid ground. “OK,” she panted. “Shut off the flashlight and come down.” She had already pulled out her out flashlight and clicked it on. “Easy does it,” she directed. “Think about one rung at a time, and don’t rush it.”

“Will you shut up? Just keep the flashlight on me and don’t do anything else!” Hunter retorted.

“Just a couple more steps...alright. Jump down,” Rose directed, quieter so Hunter couldn’t hear. Hunter grunted with the force of the impact, pulling his flashlight out of his pocket and clicking it on, shining it back and forth like a security guard might do when on patrol.

“Hey! Another ladder!” Hunter exclaimed.

“Good, let’s hurry over there so we can....hey, what’s that over there?” Rose said, suddenly interrupted by this “thing over there”. Contrary to the darkness pitch black of the cave, it was illuminated blindingly brightly. Small round silhouettes were leaping about around a large glimmering gemstone, shaped sort of ovalish. “Hunter, let’s head over this way. There’s something I want to see.”

“What happened to ‘let’s get out of her I want to make a Contest’?” Hunter reminded.

“Forget that, there’s something over here.” Rose said, breaking from a walk into a slow jog. Hunter sprinted, trying to catch up. The silhouettes were still minding their own, hopping about in a circle, spinning in the air, like some sort of ritual dance. All of the movements were perfectly timed, so when one set landed, the other sprung into the air.

Rose stopped abruptly, mouth gaping. “Whoa...”

Hunter stopped, doubled over. “Wow...” The small dancing beings were not black like their silhouettes, but pink and humanlike and nothing but a large face. the large gem glittered even more brilliantly then before and a large crater allowed moonlight in. “We must have been here awhile, it’s already getting dark.”

“Those things are practically worshipping the rock.” Rose studied the practice. “I wonder why?”

Hunter was a step ahead. “The ‘dex says that the smaller ones are Clefairy and the slightly bigger ones are Clefable.” He turned. Some of the Clefairy were glowing silver-white in mid-jump, landing as Clefable. “Hey, are those Clefairy evolving?”

“Yeah, I think so. But not all of them are.” Rose had out her Pokedex. “It says Clefairy evolve into Clefable by the use of a Moon Stone.” She peeked out from the device and studied the gem. “Is that what that rock is? Hey look!” Lying helplessly outside the ring of dancing Pokemon was a smaller Clefairy, clearly injured and smaller than the rest of the group partaking in the ritual. “I have to do something!” Rose proclaimed. She dashed over to the injured creature, dodging the ritual being performed by the oblivious others.

“Rose, what are you doing?! You’re going to get hurt!” Hunter cautioned, the Clefairy and Clefable still rhythmically dancing, the presence of their injured comrade apparently unbeknownst to them.

“I’ve gotta save it!” Rose exclaimed, scooping up the injured fairy. She waited for the dancing Pokemon to move out of the way before dashing through the crowd and diving, aiming for Hunter. The tiny Clefairy flew in the air, landing smack down on the hard rock floor.

“What are we going to do?” Hunter questioned, not sure whether to leave the Clefairy for the ritual-partakers or take it under his wing to heal.

“We have to take it with us. Hold this flashlight,” Rose instructed. Hunter shrugged and obediently followed. Rose quickly unzipped her backpack and wrote in her journal, periodically checking the Clefairy.

“Now’s not the time for that,” Hunter warned.

Rose ignored him. “...In Mount Moon. Please heal the Clefairy and leave it and Hunter’s Pidgey for us at the Pokemon Center. Thanks, Hunter Peterson and Rose Taylor,” she thought aloud, scribbling out her every thought. “Hunter, now give me Pidgey.”

“WHAT?!”

“I need Pidgey to take this note and the Clefairy.”

“Oh, well in that case, sure,” Hunter quipped sarcastically. “Let it put itself in mortal danger and that stuff.”

“It’ll be fine.” Hunter finally assented and sent out Pidgey. “Listen,” Rose commanded, directing to Pidgey. “Take this note and that Clefairy to the Cerulean City Pokemon Center.” She tied the note around Pidgey with one of her hair elastics. “Now how will I… I know! I’ll capture it!” She picked out a Pokeball and polished it. “I shouldn’t need a defenant, so here goes.” She lobbed the containment device. It shook once, twice, three times freely, as if nothing were struggling in there. It froze and Rose removed the soft ribbon binding her journal shut. “I can do without this,” she decided and threaded the Pokeball’s back hole by folding it thinly, tying the Pokeball to Pidgey. “Okay, carrier pigeon,” Rose said, inspecting her short work. “Off to Cerulean City, and when you get to the Pokemon Center, show Joy the note and wait there for us. No use flying back and risking yourself twice.” Pidgey hooted and took off, struggling at first but finding the power to overcome the burden.

“Now that’s out the way,” Rose declared, clapping her hands together, “let’s follow suit and get the heck out of here.”

“Not until we investigate that rock,” Hunter shot back.
“It’s a Moon Stone. They evolve Clefairy. I read about it in the Pokedex.”

“Oh, well in THAT case...”

“Yeah. In that case, we’ll get going now.” Hunter walked off without Rose. Let her catch up. She could have let me look, he thought, blowing off steam. No. The one time I actually want to be involved with natural beauties, she blows me off. He shot up the rock ladder, rung at a time, still ticked off with Rose. He heaved himself up back to the main room of Mount Moon and paused, searching for an exit.

Rose caught up, prodded Hunter on the arm, and gave him a cross look. “What on earth was that for?”

“You should know. The one time I try and...what’s that you always say? Look at life’s natural beauty? The one time I try and you drag me away!” Hunter exclaimed, fuming.

“Sorry, but I’m certain that it was you who wanted to get in and out, Mister ‘Cerulean Gym, here I come’!”

“Oh excuse me, Miss ‘can’t miss my Contest because my Mom and my sister do them too’.”

Rose growled. “It’s not because of that. I do them because I want to!” She grew excited, exaggerating every word. “I could have done your thing and done Gym battles, but this is what I want to do!”

Hunter ignored her, letting Rose cool down, searching around the pitch-black labyrinth for some opening on the other side of the cavern. The only good thing was that they couldn’t mistake the entrance; the ladder they had climbed up situated them behind a tall rock wall, not tall enough to hit the ceiling of the cave, but tall enough to block out the pair’s past hour, forcing them to move along. “There!” Hunter exclaimed, pointing to a white door-shaped arc, sort of shaped like an inverted parabola. “I think that’s the exit!” But just as Hunter turned to make certain that Rose was still with him (the pair had been doing this the entire time; Mt. Moon is just dark enough for one to get lost), a loud rumbling rattled the rock walls of the cavern. Hunter wheeled around. A rocky avalanche had fragmented the light coming through the exit.

Rose threw her hands up. “Great,” she groaned, “now how are we supposed to get out? And what’s that noise?” A loud mechanical whirring shrilled throughout Mount Moon with the rocky rumble.

Clearly, a man’s voice bellowed, barking orders. “Get those stones up here faster! Careful! Don’t shatter any! The boss will be fuming if you do! Oh, boy, I- I mean we- are gonna get a raise! A huge one at that!”

“Is that who I think it is?” Rose thought aloud. If I’m right, she continued to herself, we could be in some serious trouble.

A round, buzz-cut head poked out of a hole in the ground. “Where are- Hey!”

Rose grinned, nodding her head as if she had just made a fundamental breakthrough. “Thought I might see you here.”

“Rose, what’s going on?” Hunter demanded to know.

The man grinned evilly. “So you remember me, twerp.”

“Again,” Hunter repeated, raising his voice. “What’s going on?”

“Yeah, I do remember. The run in at Route 1 and your idiots in Viridian Forest. How could I forget you?” She paused. “Sonny.”

Hunter’s eyes widened to the size of grapefruits. “Sonny?” He rolled his eyes around, trying to recall the name. “Oh, right! You crushed me way back when. I’ll have you know, I-”

Sonny cut him off. “Shut up. I’ve got no time for your meaningless babble. You see, I’m excavating a giant Moon Stone in the basement beneath us into shards- or rather, having the grunts excavate it. I’ll give these shards to the head honcho at the Midnight Sun HQ. Get a raise. Not have to deal with rookies like you two.”

Hunter raised an eyebrow. “So you’re breaking down a natural worship point for a rare species for your own benefit? And potentially killing all of us if you manage to wreck the very floor we’re standing on?”

“Smart words. Have you improved at all? At, of course, battling. I could use a break. And an easy win.”

“Improved?! Oh, I’ve darn well improved. And I’m ready to kick your midget butt.”

Sonny fumed. “Oh really? Raticate, crush ‘em!” Like the run-in on Route 1, the ex-Rocket admin simply held up a Pokeball to release the large rat inside.

“Really? Pidgey, wipe it out!” Hunter exclaimed.

Rose slapped her palm to her forehead. “Really, Hunter? Pidgey’s with Clefairy.”

“Oh, that’s right. Charmander, go!”

Rose again, performed a facepalm. “Really!?”

“What?”

Rose sighed. “Nidoran.”

“Aw, man, I totally forgot!”

Sonny broke in. “No switches. Raticate, Hyper Fang!”

“Charmander, get in front of the avalanche! We’re getting out of here! Rose, follow me!” Hunter set off after Charmander. “Just keep dodging attacks!” The red-hot lizard nimbly jumped over and around the rocky formations, finally situating itself just in front of the avalanche.

Sonny raised an eyebrow. “Raticate, Iron Tail.”

Timing, Hunter told himself. Timing. “Charmander, jump!” He cried out.

Charmander leapt into the air just as the large rodent’s tail swung across below. Hunter breathed a sigh of relief. It worked! Hunter praised, resting on his accomplishment. The intimidating rock barrier crumbled and crashed from the blow. “Everyone back up! Charmander, return!” Hunter ordered. The light from the exit again flooded the cavern.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Sonny demanded.

“I’d love to stay and fight, but we’ve got places to be!” Hunter declared, running out the cavern into the slowly dimming light of sunset. In front of the pair: another cavern, an urbanized city, and a small golden bridge.

“I think we made it,” Rose breathed. “Bye!”

Overhaul of Prologue again (for some reason, I feel I can never get it right), some fairly large rewrites of Ch. 1, nitpicky stuff fixed (as well as thing that didn't make sense) in Ch. 2. Quick edit in Ch. 4 so it coincided with the foreshadowing in Ch. 1.

I'll get cracking on Ch. 12 (i think it's 12) now. Like I said before, I apologize for the massive amount of immaturity on the first page of posts. I'm not like that anymore; i've undergone a lot of maturing lately. But constructive criticism would be nice again.

It seems it's been taking a month and a half or so to get through a chapter, with the homework load and such. April break next week means some serious writing time, so fingers crossed.

Current possible update is April 24th

Back
Top Bottom