• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

How did you become a Pokémon fan?

Re: How did you become a Pokémon fan?

Some friends got me hooked on the anime. I didn't actually get one of the games until a couple of years or so later.

Don't care for the anime anymore, but I still love the games.

Whenever I see this topic from the index it looks like "How did you become a Pokémon..." This makes me want to make an Insanity thread called this except a ? instead of a ...

I'd found this awesome website called Mew's Hangout,
Oh my goodness :o so many memories of that place for me. I miss it so much :<

It was some time ago when had first gotten into Pokemon... Being around six or seven when I started hearing about it, I ended up getting Red version for Christmas at the same time my Great Grandma had gotten me a Gameboy Pocket -my first handheld ever <3 I still have it somewhere...- and there was no hesitation in playing it with my cousin. It quickly became the first RPG outside of Chrono Trigger I'd ever gotten hooked on, I wouldn't even play Street Fighter Alpha with my Dad :o my Red version certainly helped me through some hard times though; it's why I always say Pokemon is that one thing that can't possibly fail me. Pokemon has always helped cheer me up since I got into it <:

I can't remember whether me playing Ruby first (yea, I was a little late into the franchise, but FRLG/HGSS and research helped me retain tons of info about the original games) or me watching the anime was first (probably the anime; i think i was 5-ish when I started watching Kanto-season repeats. I MIGHT watch the BW Anime, but it's on too early. AND I don't have DVR.

Amazing to think that almost 10 years later, I'm still a fan (and I may have found a kid at school (high school, btw) who is too.)

Amazing to think that almost 10 years later, I'm still a fan (and I may have found a kid at school (high school, btw) who is too.)

one kid? one kid?

dude. there is something you need to know about high school. everyone is a fan of Pokémon in it.

this is why my lunch group randomly got out their Pokéwalkers one day (without me even knowing that they were still buying the games) and started Mystery Gifting.

this is why I know kids that read Super Effective.

this is why I had a Pokémon battle with this one kid in French class once.

this is why there was an article about HG/SS in our school paper last year.

No because then you'll have to do a stupid graduation project that takes up the majority of seniors' free time. Even when they're still juniors. :C

one kid? one kid?

dude. there is something you need to know about high school. everyone is a fan of Pokémon in it.

this is why my lunch group randomly got out their Pokéwalkers one day (without me even knowing that they were still buying the games) and started Mystery Gifting.

Lucky. The only ones at the high school I went to who were Pokemon fans other than myself was my group of friends. Granted, it was fairly large, but nowhere near the size of both campuses :<

one kid? one kid?

LUCKY!!! Well, one kid admitted it. There have GOT to be more. And excuse me for being a freshman and having only been in high school for 3 1/2 months-ish (well, since september). There're about 1000 kids in the school, I'll bet 10% at least are Pokemon fans.

You're all making me want to investigate...
Actually I forgot that there was another one (i think, chalking the known Pokefan Population to 3 of roughly 1000: me, my friend (both freshmen) and a junior)).

I'm still thinking around 10%: it is an all male school after all. OK, maybe 25%. But it's a statewide thing, so 50% does seem plausible.

According to Mom, I became a fan because everyone else was a fan. But I swear I watched Pokémon the first day of airing. Sometime later, we started collecting the cards (well Mom did, anyway), then we went wild over the first movie and went to Burger King whenever we could. My first Pokémon game was Yellow, which I got for Christmas or my birthday, can't remember, all I know was I was either eight or nine when I first got it. Happiest day of my life.

I continue to be a fan to this day, but more in the game genre. It's a piece of who I am, in a way.

It was the 90's, and I had an older brother and sister who were 10 and 8.

That should pretty much be self-explanatory.

I was in elementary school, and I was always the tomboy, and I always watched all the guys play it. Eventually my parents and I stopped at this EB Games, and I saw pokemon Blue and Red in the used section, and I pulled the cute little girl thing on my dad. Next thing I knew I was playing Pokemon Blue. I was hooked then and there, and it only got worse. My entire room was pokemon at one point in time.

I got into it after watching the first movie! I still own it, somewhere. :P

Then I watched the second movie and the show, and liked it even more. :)

Combination of Pokemon cards raping my school (lol) and my younger brother getting gold.

The goldbit really tipped the bar however...

When I was five, my dad found a Game Boy with Blue Version in a customer's sofa (he's an upholsterer). The guy said he could have it, so he gave it to me. I still have that Blue Version and it still works.

I lost interest in it in 2000 or 2001, but got back into it in 2003. I did because I met someone who was really into it, and we became good friends. I had to move away from him in 2004, though.

It started with the TCG, back when there was one set. A friend showed me some and gave me a couple (I recall Machop and Ponyta) and I was interested in the creatures and the cards. I then got two copies of the starter set (not knowing they had the same cards) and started getting the theme decks.

Well, I discovered the show when I was very young. I don't remember how long ago that was, but it's been a LONG time.
After just a few episodes of the show, I just happened to recieve a yellow Gameboy Color, complete with one game: Pokemon Yellow.
That was pretty much the end. I've been hooked ever since.
I go through spouts of obsession and then into dorman period where I don't so much as think of it. As of now, I'm back into liking it a lot.
I've stuck to it through playing a lot of the games....
Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Snap, Hey you-Pikachu!, Pokemon Colleseum, Pokemon XD, you name it.
I also have seen/owned quite a few of the Pokemon movies.....
Pokemon The Movie, Pokemon 2000 The Power of One, Pokemon Heros, etc etc. I've seen every one of them (released in America) at least once. XD
But ironically I jumped from Pokemon Yellow to Pokemon SoulSilver, so I have a long pause there, lol.
And yes, I do have merchandise, which includes a 24 karat gold Pikachu Pokemon card, purchased from Burger King WAY BACK WHEN, still in it's case and in it's original PokeBall.

I'm a little bit of a freak about it.

Back
Top Bottom