• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Game Recommendations

My Wii is sitting collecting dust and I'm really regretting having bought the damn thing, so I'm glad I randomly decided to come here. The Wii has waaay too much shovelware.

But having said, there is one Wii game that I really enjoyed, and it doesn't seem to have got much attention.

Deadly creatures

+ Prefect for creepy crawly nerds (Like me)
+ Nice graphics and environments.
+ The battle controls flow well.
+ You switch between controlling a scorpion and a tarantula.
+ The story is nothing unique, but the way it's told is. You really do feel like an... "other" listening in on the human's conversation. Kinda hard to explain.

- If spiders and scorpions and other beasties freak you out, you'll hate this.
- The controls with the spider are a bit tricky to get used to, especially when climbing up walls.
- I haven't had much issues with the camera myself, but others have complained about it.

My Wii is sitting collecting dust and I'm really regretting having bought the damn thing, so I'm glad I randomly decided to come here. The Wii has waaay too much shovelware.

You need to play No More Heroes 2, my friend. Pretty much the best bloody game on the console.

Team Fortress 2 - PC, Xbox 360, PS3

- Sometimes people can be a bit rude, and sometimes they can be utter trolls. Usually complaining about how the only Pyro strategy is Pressing W and Mouse 1 even though you just airblasted him into a corner, put him on fire and then axed him to death.
+ On the other side, there are some pretty nice people every once in a while, as well.

I think it should be said that TF2's community is much better overall than a lot of FPSs (I'm looking at you, Halo. You too, Call of Duty), with a lot more decent people and a lot fewer screaming 13-year olds. And there's always the mute button if a troll needs silenced.

Got another one :)

Suikoden Tierkreis (DS)
This is fairly unknown; I only found out about it by pure luck, really.
+Neat story premise
+108 playable characters, about 90 of which are used in battle, the rest have various effects in battle (i.e, one heals status ailments at the end of rounds, another has a greater chance of pre-emptive attacks)
+Music is fantastic
+The characters are all rather customizable
+There are some characters that are absolutely hilarious
+Each character that is recruited gets at least a little bit of development in some way or another
+Battles are easy to get used to, and the auto battle option is a great time saver for random encounters

-Random encounters seem to be quite frequent
-Voice acting is atrocious. There were only a handful of characters whose voice acting was decent, and I must say that only 2 or 3 characters had genuinely GOOD voice acting
-Most of the main characters are annoying and uninteresting. The optional characters seem to stand out more than the main characters
-There seems to be a massively excessive amount of cutscenes, especially early game. The first time through they're okay, but when playing through it a second or third time it's much easier to hit the fast forward button.

Super Mario World (SNES)
+Excellent replay value
+A new pseudo-playable character (Yoshi)
-Nearly impossible exits from some levels
±Challenging
+Excellent music
-However, the music only focuses on one tune
+Pretty sprites
-Annoying noises
-Completely unoriginal plot
+Easier flight (compared to SMB3, the only other one with flight)
+Secret exits
+Savestates
-You can only save at certain areas
-Repetitive map music

Morrowind- PC/Xbox

+Take Tolkien-style mythology, then cross it with a completely original, developed, believable world (which is open for you to do whatever you want in it), then cross it with awesome, then cross it with win.
+The level-up and stat building system allows you to choose your priorities, creating a character perfectly suited to your playing style.
+The island of Vvardenfell is a perfectly believable district of a perfectly belivable continent, Tamriel. Also, it's a pretty unique place, especially compared to Oblivion's Cyrodiil, the white-bread Imperial homeworld.
+The main quest is fun, but... don't like it? Screw it. There are hundreds of hours of gameplay to be had working for the guilds, or roaming the wilderness, or just doing whatever the hell you want.
+ An official editing software is available (it's included with the PC GOTY edition, or can be downloaded), allowing players to create their own mods and plug-ins. Granted, it's not the most streamlined software, but it's not too difficult to get the hang of. Also, there's a huge online modding community.
+Some of the best re-playability I have ever seen.
CONS:
-Scarce voice acting (most of the dialogue is text-based)
-This may actually be a pro for some people (like me) but NIGHTMARE FUEL. Oh, god. Ash creatures are the worst things ever. Also, claustrophobia, fear of the dark, fear of drowning, fear of gray skinned, humanoid monstrosities with gaping holes for faces.
-If you screw with the construction set too much, make a bunch of little mods in individual folders, or things like that, your game just might get really badly screwed up.

Last edited:
Oh lord the dreaded forest of illusion.

I restarted my darn game because I couldn't figure that crap out. :|

Anyway, this game:

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood (DS)
You probably want to stop reading at Sonic, but I swear this is actually good.
+NO VOICE ACTING. DS doesn't do that crap, and we know how bad Sonic voice acting is. this made me very happy.
+Decent story. Another thing Sonic usually lacks, this actually has. While it's missing typical sonic gameplay it makes up for it with the storyline.
+The battle system. It's very similar to Paper Mario (TTYD, of course. The new one is crap.)
+Many playable characters. You can be only a few actually on the map screen but in battle mode you can be multiple characters we like and even some of the later extras you want to strangle.
+BioWare. That's right. BioWare developed this game.
+Truckloads of sidequests. This game almost never runs out of content.

-Sonic. That name just seems to make me sad nowadays.
-The fact that they so obviously are making a sequel and it hasn't been announced yet.
-The map is very similar to many RPGs but sadly non sonicky.
-Sometimes it moves a little slowly.

I've been told I have odd tastes but hey I liked it.

Morrowind- PC/Xbox

CONS:
-Scarce voice acting (most of the dialogue is text-based)
-This may actually be a pro for some people (like me) but NIGHTMARE FUEL. Oh, god. Ash creatures are the worst things ever. Also, claustrophobia, fear of the dark, fear of drowning, fear of gray skinned, humanoid monstrosities with gaping holes for faces.
-If you screw with the construction set too much, make a bunch of little mods in individual folders, or things like that, your game just might get really badly screwed up.

THE SIXTH HOUSE DUNGEONS OH GOD

so recommendations:

MASS EFFECT.
Pros:
+AWESOME voice acting. seriously. You CAN skip dialogue, but why would you?
+Huge backstory and very well fleshed out universe. (literally)
+Many different branching paths the story can take, which carry over into the second game.
+Great replayability
+Very interesting and well-done main quest.

CONS:
-sometimes the side missions feel a little bland and tacked on.
-Graphical glitches were rather common on my playthrough- nothing serious though.
-inventory gets crowded fast

Last edited:
Red Dead Redemption- Xbox 360/PS3

Holy shit, where to begin...

+AMAZING storyline. This is pretty much the driving force of the whole game. You will really, really begin to care about what becomes of main character John Marston.
+Great atmosphere. All the appeal of the Old West, but with a dark edge.
+Awesome cast of characters. Each is fleshed out to some degree, and the voice acting is superb. Some of the memorable characters include the loveable drunk, Irish (stereotype, anyone?), the heroin-addicted sociologist, the possibly-a-necrophiliac treasure hunter Seth, the troubled antagonist Dutch Van Der Linde, and, of course, the grizzly, surprisingly likeable protagonist, John Marston.
+As I mentioned, the voice acting is great, and not just for a video game. Couple this with quite possibly the best cutscenes I have ever seen, and it becomes less of a game, and more of a playable, high-quality movie. Also, plenty of crowning moments of badass, funny, and a few tear-jerkers (the ending...).

The (minor) downsides:
+For the most part, the gameplay is great (no more not being able to save during missions... I'm looking at YOU, GTA), but some of the big shootouts can be tedious/repetitive. Also, there's not much of a tutorial, so you may feel a bit lost at times. Not really a huge problem, though.
+Dead Eye, the game's targeting system, can at times make the gunfighting a bit TOO easy.

Really, all in all, a freaking incredible game.

Age Of Empires 3
+Good Graphics
+And the sound is awesome
+/-Cheats make the game easy
+Buy upgrades at Home Port to help you
+/-The Computer is ridiculously stupid.
+Good Plot
-But the story mode doesn't really last if you know how to do it. Three hours, tops.
-Circular Map instead of the traditional diamond
-The Super Canadian Laser Bear isn't avaliable unless you use "Edit Unit" which means you can't use it in campaign mode or standard game mode. Which sucks, because, you know, it's a CANADIAN LASER BEAR!

Myst Online: Uru Live Again
+Multiplayer point and click
+Large community of helpful players (trust me, this is a big positive)
+Beautiful scenery
+Interesting story
-Clunky controls
-Not for the easily frustrated
-Crashes at times on older systems
+Absolutely free

Quick Question: After Christmas, I will have enough money for an Xbox360 and Halo 3. On the other hand, if I wait until my birthday (August) then we'll have a new Vista PC and I'll be able to get Halo 2.

Should I get an Xbox and Halo 3 or just get Halo 2?

Quick Question: After Christmas, I will have enough money for an Xbox360 and Halo 3. On the other hand, if I wait until my birthday (August) then we'll have a new Vista PC and I'll be able to get Halo 2.

Should I get an Xbox and Halo 3 or just get Halo 2?

I think you should get an Xbox 360 and Halo: Reach.

The chance of me getting $170 dollars is quite high, I suppose I might just see how much I got and go with that.

VVVVVV
It's a retro-style flash platformer with somewhat of a twist

+ Innovative yet simple fundamental mechanic
+ Incredibly intelligent level design and progression
+ Demo playable on Kongregate
+ Excellent music and sound effects
+ Checkpoints every other screen and unlimited lives
+ Post-game content includes everything you'd expect and a bit more
+ Very good value for money - £3.99 on Steam
+ Nice retro graphics

- Some people might not like retro graphics
- Fiendishly difficult at times
- Takes a while to get used to
- Short - leaves you wanting more, even though it's great value for money

I really love this game. The epic music calms the frustration caused by the tricky levels, it's an awesome combination.

Last edited:
It isn't obscure, but it's gotten a bad reputation among the gaming community that it quite frankly doesn't deserve.

Elite Beat Agents

+ The gameplay is simple, but it's easy to understand.
+ The game takes refuge in audacity. It starts out reasonable enough... "take this woman to the hospital!" "get the puppy back home!" But eventually we get to scenarios like "get some cows to stop a thunderstorm!" "help the ninja get back plans for a car!" "shoot peanuts and zombies!" It's never over the top.
+ There's this one scenario in the game that's supposed to be really sad. I hated it, but apparently everybody else thinks it's SO MOVING.
+ The soundtrack. I turned this game down at first based on the soundtrack, and I can't balme myself... Skater Boy? YMCA? Seriously? But the game is so good that you'll want to play songs you would otherwise hate.
- The game gets really hard at times... Canned Heat and Let's Dance give people a lot of trouble.
- The final difficulty level contains a lot of fake difficulty.
- The game's short, but there's a lot of replay value.

Back
Top Bottom