• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Religion

What is your religion? (Please don't abuse the multiple choice feature)

• Atheism or agnosticism

Votes: 85 72.6%
  • Christianity or Judaism

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • Islam

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Sikhism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paganism/neo-paganism

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other (please elaborate)

Votes: 10 8.5%

• Total voters
...Christians are a minority here? That's... freaky. o.O

Well in any case, I'm atheist. XP

I forget if I already replied to this thread, but I don't think I did.

...Christians are a minority here? That's... freaky. o.O

I'm actually surprised there's so many of them here, I thought there'd only be about five or something judging from this forum's general attitude.

Then again, I'm used to living where Christians are a definite minority...

I'm actually surprised there's so many of them here, I thought there'd only be about five or something judging from this forum's general attitude.

Then again, I'm used to living where Christians are a definite minority...

My state is 92% Christian!

...o_o

I'm not sure about my particular area, but as far as I know it's definitely less than 50% Christian for the whole UK. The 2001 census said something like 70% but considering other polls and such that's mainly just people raised like that who probably believe in God very vaguely if at all. In a YouGov poll 44% people said they believe in God, so yeah. I know people that call themselves Christian out of habit but aren't actually religious whatsoever.

Everywhere I've lived, people are treated as very peculiar indeed if they are a devout Christian. God bless secularism. :D

I live in a Buckle of the Bible Belt. No, really.

"Lubbock, Texas, which is said to have more churches per capita than anywhere else in the nation"

Born and raised. In Texas I think it's like 25% Catholic, 50% Christian (other than Catholic) and then everything else is dumped in the last 25%. so 75% Christian for my state.

My country is.... depends on whether you count people that are officially catholic but don't go to church anymore. 43.4% is nominally Christian.

I however think that only 1.2% of catholics (26% total) actually attend mass on given Sundays. The same probably goes for protestants.

So the actual amount of religious people is much lower.

Ireland has 95% of people identifying as Christian and what's worrying is even if you didn't count people who weren't active participants in their faith, we still have a 97% theism rate. Atheists make up only 3% of the population.

Religious trends in the UK - really interesting reading. The UK has more people that identify as Jedi Knights than as Jewish and Buddhist combined.

That is interesting. I've always loved that people actually put Jedi (my friend's parents did. :'D)

Also, whoa. If you ignore Jediism, paganism (including the numbers for Wiccans and Druids... and I guess the 300 Heathens even though they were misplaced into 'no religion' for some reason) is the seventh largest religion. :'D And haha, we beat Spiritualists who have a worryingly large number.

Last edited:
"In the 2008 American Religious Identification Survey, 80% of Alabama respondents reported their religion as Christian (other than Catholic,) 6% as Catholic, and 11% as having no religion at all."

Sorry for necroposting, but I wanted to put my 2 cents in.

I was (and still am) raised without religion as a large part of my life; my parents parents were pretty religious, but they weren't into it much, and didn't want to be a very religious family with me and my sister. So my religion is just... no religion, really. I believe in God, and a couple of miscellaneous stuff not really pertaining to any one religion, but everything else just strikes as "Um, yeah, maybe that happened, or maybe thats true, but since theres no way to tell... its a nice story, I guess?" Even my belief in God, or a higher power is a bit shaky; I believe in Him only because I believe we as a species couldn't have gotten to where we are now without a little divine intervention.

Hmm I don't recall what my original post was on this but I'm p sure my views have changed so

I was raised catholic, spent like all my school years in Catholic school actually, and honestly I....don't really like Catholicism.

I don't really have a specific subset of Christianity I agree with, as far as I know; my feelings are basically "pope should not be infallible, god really doesn't care who you have sex with as long as both parties are willing, don't be an asshole"

I believe that there is some creator deity out there and that they're generally a good thing, I just really don't know what they are

i know this thread is a million years old now but is anyone else wigged out that christianity and judaism have been lumped together on the poll

i know this thread is a million years old now but is anyone else wigged out that christianity and judaism have been lumped together on the poll

I think that's mostly because christianity shares a little bit of its mythology with Judaism. It's true that it's pretty wrong to just lump them together, especially since they're so incredibly different from each other.

Back
Top Bottom