• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

New 3DS

kyeugh

onion witch
Pronoun
she/her
Nintendo recently debuted a new 3DS, literally titled "New 3DS." Link here.

Features include better 3D, a new analogue stick, larger size, better processing, a MicroSD reader, increased battery life, and an Amiibo reader built into the system.

Huh, didn't expect this...

Also considering the MicroSD card thing I'm wondering just how you'll transfer data from an older 3DS (with regular SD cards) since I assume that's gonna be an option.

I'm not sure I like this. I only recently got my XL and now they're bringing out the next one. And it isn't just a different 3DS like the XL is bigger or the 2DS is cheaper, this one will have exclusives which pretty much makes it a new console.
If I'd known there was going to be a newer one coming out I would have wouldn't have got an XL. I'd love to have better battery life and a better processing power so there isn't a drop in framerate whenever there's a Sceptile or Trevenant in battle, even with the 3D disabled.

You can get SD->MicroSD adapters, though I'm not sure how much they cost.

...I only recently got my XL and now they're bringing out the next one.
Is Nintendo turning into... Apple?

I certainly think this is probably worth the purchase, though it's my belief that this should have been the 3DS we started with, really. An extra few months in development and some foresight could've whipped this out to begin with, I feel like. I'm sort of disappointed that I have to pool my money to buy an upgrade of what I already have.

...this one will have exclusives which pretty much makes it a new console. ...
Yeah, a Xenoblade Chronicles remake is already confirmed.

I might actually pick this one up despite not being the kind of person who continually updates technology, since I like the design and the functional changes seem worthwhile enough.

But, uh, I don't know jack shit about SD and micro SD cards and how they relate to the 3DS - is data saved on the SD card (like CD-based consoles save info to the console) and I'd need to put it on the microSD to be able to play, say, my current X file on the new one? Or is info saved to 3DS cartridges like it was with DS cartridges and the SD card serves some other purpose?

Huh. Well, my 3DS XL is quite damaged (one of the hinges broke off and the other one is quite loose; I hold it together with duct tape) and it's probably one major drop away from breaking entirely, so I'll probably get it once it comes out. Let's hope my XL stays until then.

Huh. I'll probably get this. My only concern is price, but I'll probably end up buying, doing a system transfer, and then selling my old xl. That c-stick, though... think of all the gamecube remakes!

Found out about the SD card thing - it can apparently be transferred from SD to MicroSD by wireless. So, that's nice. Would probably have to bet a bigger MicroSD though (already got a 8GB SD card in my 3DS). Otherwise you can also copypaste through computer. I assumed there'd be a way but I just wanted to know how.

I've seen jokes that this new 3DS is revenge for the Smash leaks. xD

Can't have Smash without C-Sticking, no matter what it takes.

I'm not going for this one, myself, mostly because my 3DS is still in great shape. Possibly because I haven't touched the poor thing ever since I've managed to run DS emulation on mobile.

Just gotta hope all the good games remaining this year are compatible with the old fart, I guess...

Oh come on.

I just got another 3DS like 3 months ago after at least half a year of assiduous campaigning to my father. And now this?

It looks worthwhile, but I can't afford to be continually keep buying new consoles. Maybe I can pawn off my old 3DS to my sister or something... Thankfully, it seems Nintendo will be releasing adapters; the Amiibo article that the New 3DS article links to says a NFC adapter for the plain ol' 3DS is coming.

Is Nintendo turning into... Apple?

Seems like it. This new 3DS will sell a bit, but the fact that they've released like 50 other variations of the DS/3DS will hamper how fast they get the units out of retail.

It's frustrating, really; it's like Nintendo doesn't want to ensure the Wii U's success. Granted, the 3DS is their saving grace, but if they don't give some more focus to their home console, it's going under.

Back
Top Bottom