• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Butterfree's Name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pronoun
he
One thing I never understood about Butterfree is that she doesn't like being called by her real name, from what I've seen when people did call her by her real name "Hlín" she goes berserk on them... Why? I've never seen anyone act so angry about being called their name, It's a simple formality. I don't have a problem with people calling me "Sean" even though it sounds completely retarded to me, so yeah.

A lot of people don't like to be called certain things. I don't mind being called by my first name online, but some people do. It's a respect and a privacy thing. If they ask you not to, you don't, simple as that.

Personally, I've never seen her go "berserk" on anyone really for calling her by her first name. I don't think I've ever seen anyone here do that in all the years I've been here, actually. Even back on IF.

Last edited:
One thing I never understood about Butterfree is that she doesn't like being called by her real name, from what I've seen when people did call her by her real name "Hlín" she goes berserk on them... Why? I've never seen anyone act so angry about being called their name, It's a simple formality. I don't have a problem with people calling me "Sean" even though it sounds completely retarded to me, so yeah.
Well, for one, birth names hold a great deal of power! You know, for spells and such. That's probably it. Oh, and try not to use the word "retarded" like that. It also holds a great deal of power.

It just makes her uncomfortable, if I recall. I really hate it when people refer to me by my given name. If I wanted people to call me that, I would have made it my username. People just have preferences, it's not really something that requires very much analysis.

from the site's About Me page said:
Please don't call me Hlín online, however; I like my name just fine, but when I'm reading English, my brain is firmly in my-name-is-Butterfree mode, so being suddenly addressed by my real name just feels jarring and overly-intimate rather than friendly. (I really mean that: it weirds me out. If you want to make the conversation casual and personable, calling me Hlín is not the way to do it.)

That would be why!

why are we all talking about this? i thought it was firmly established that Butterfree was kill???

I mean, I'm kinda similar myself. I don't mind people knowing that my name is Rebecca, but when I'm online I'm pretty firmly in "I'm hope" mode.

Of course, I feel weird calling anyone by their real names online.

I don't care what call me on here, as long as I'm not offensive. I keep my real name a secret online. If you're too lazy to type my whole username, KFF works... or maybe just Ferret.

I can understand that to some extent - while my real name is Silke, online I mostly go by the name Zanreo (well, most other places than here, where I joined 2012 or later) and that's what people know me as (though a lot of them do know my real name, and I don't keep it a secret if they wanna know). When people I only know online suddenly call me Silke out of nowhere, it's always rather unexpected. I don't really have a problem with it and people can call me that instead of Zanreo if they want, but when online I'm usually in a sort of ""my-name-is-Zanreo"-mode so it tends to catch me off-guard a bit.

And when talking to my online friends who are better known by/usually uses their nickname instead of real name, I usually use that instead of their real name. Though, I don't use other people's names that often at all when talking to them, nicknames or otherwise. It feels a bit... personal, or not sure how else to describe it.

Last edited:
Though, I don't use other people's names that often at all when talking to them, nicknames or otherwise. It feels a bit... personal, or not sure how else to describe it.
I feel the same way, I usually just call people 'you' or 'human ' or something because it feels weird and uncomfortable to call people by their names. Good to know I'm not the only one like this, haha.

I rarely tell anyone on the internet my real name since it's a) not particularly common even here & I'm paranoid, b) nobody really needs to know it and c) you'd all just pronounce it grossly wrong in your heads. Plus, I feel slightly awkward in even real life when people call me by my name (especially if it's someone I don't know very well), so to me it's better to just be Equinoxe or whatever my username happens to be in a specific place.

i call most of my online friends by their internet nicknames because that's what they prefer. i think that's pretty common for most people online anyway

i used to be called jolty 100% of the time by my friends (and anyone else) but now most people call me by my real name which is fine with me because it's my name and i chose it and it doesn't make me feel weird and shitty like my birth name does. even seeing my birth name anywhere is like "pls get this away from me"

maybe that's why most people online prefer their internet names to be used. because they chose them themselves.

my best friend was someone I met on the internet almost 8 years ago and have met twice in person. we obv know everything about each other. I still call her by her internet handle because her real name is weird to me lmfao

Last edited:
I'd be interested to hear where you think you've seen me go berserk at someone calling me Hlín online, because I... don't? Like, that's not a thing that angers me, it's a thing that's mildly weird to me. The way you'd probably find it mildly weird if somebody insisted on referring to you by your full name at all times. I doubt that would inspire frothing rage in anyone unless they have some very bad memories associated with it or something, but you'd probably think it sounds weirdly like your parents scolding you or something. It's the same kind of thing - a name from a different context than the one you expect.

The only reason I bring it up on my About Me is that some people on the Internet make a point of using people's real names in personal conversations with the intent of making it more friendly and personal, and they'd probably rather know if they'd be unintentionally weirding the other person out instead.

It's not even that it makes me uncomfortable, it's just... mildly awkward. Water Pokémon Master has been calling me Hlín for like a year and I don't even mind enough to tell him to stop; I just think it sounds kind of weird and silly.

why are we all talking about this? i thought it was firmly established that Butterfree was kill???

the undead have names too :(

But yeah I never realised just how weird being called by your real name online is until I changed my internet handle, I have this jarring little moment whenever internet people address me anything besides "Sang" these days. Though I guess calling me by my real name is pretty much ingrained into most people on this forum and it feels a little silly expecting anyone to just change what they're used to calling me.

also wue your name is like the best thing

Last edited:
I'm uncomfortable with names in general. Whenever someone mentions me by name in a post, I get uncomfortable. But when someone calls me Lily online, I'm in *extremely inching away mode.* unless it's a friend irl and I know their real name too.

I'm uncomfortable with names in general. Whenever someone mentions me by name in a post, I get uncomfortable. But when someone calls me Lily online, I'm in *extremely inching away mode.* unless it's a friend irl and I know their real name too.

But... Your name. It is Lilypad. ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom