• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

Would it be possible to execute a move like Poison Jab or Fire Punch while deliberately refraining from calling up the element in question (e.g. just doing Poison Jab without coating the jabbing implement in poison first, or going through the motions of Fire Punch without the fire)?

I suppose, but then you wouldn't really be commanding Poison Jab or Fire Punch. You'd just be saying something like "punch them" or "hit them", and the attack would be pretty weak and likely Normal-type.

Would it be possible to execute a move like Poison Jab or Fire Punch while deliberately refraining from calling up the element in question (e.g. just doing Poison Jab without coating the jabbing implement in poison first, or going through the motions of Fire Punch without the fire)?

I suppose, but then you wouldn't really be commanding Poison Jab or Fire Punch. You'd just be saying something like "punch them" or "hit them", and the attack would be pretty weak and likely Normal-type.

I'd actually make it typeless, like Struggle, and that's why it'd be so weak.

Can you choose when to activate a typing gem?

Do you mean, choose to not activate it if using a move of that type? I'd say yes, if so.

In addition, you do not need to specifically command your Pokémon to use the item next time its condition applies, nor will it take up an action (though the latter is only applicable for other consumables like berries, anyway). See here.

Do moves like Hex/Venoshoch/Wake-Up Slap/Smellingsalts still do double damage if the target has the right status but is behind a substitute? I figured it would but also thought the sub itself doesn't have the condition so I wasn't sure

Quick confirmation/denial, please? Abilities/etc that boost the damage and energy cost of attacks (specifically Pure Power, in the instance I'm reffing) wouldn't affect a fixed-damage attack like Counter, right?

Quick confirmation/denial, please? Abilities/etc that boost the damage and energy cost of attacks (specifically Pure Power, in the instance I'm reffing) wouldn't affect a fixed-damage attack like Counter, right?

Correct.

When multiple Pokemon are using Round in the same action and one of them gets a critical hit, is the bonus damage for the crit based on the normal base power for Round (60) or its effective power in this situation (120)?

When multiple Pokemon are using Round in the same action and one of them gets a critical hit, is the bonus damage for the crit based on the normal base power for Round (60) or its effective power in this situation (120)?

The crit itself would deal damage based on effective base power, methinks, like any other attack that doubles in power under certain conditions (venoshock, brine, etc). Any subsequent use of Round would have 120 effective bp, as it doesn't increase beyond that.

Assuming no Pokemon with any Sandstorm-related Abilities (like Sand Veil) are on the battlefield, would Sandstorm affect accuracy at all? If so, by how much?

I tried using the search function and couldn't find anything about it, so I had figured it was "no" or "it's up to the ref", but official confirmation one way or the other would be great.

Assuming no Pokemon with any Sandstorm-related Abilities (like Sand Veil) are on the battlefield, would Sandstorm affect accuracy at all? If so, by how much?

I tried using the search function and couldn't find anything about it, so I had figured it was "no" or "it's up to the ref", but official confirmation one way or the other would be great.

It does. I believe the description mentions the accuracy drop. People tend to go with 10%, same as Haze and the like.

Do moves like Hex/Venoshoch/Wake-Up Slap/Smellingsalts still do double damage if the target has the right status but is behind a substitute? I figured it would but also thought the sub itself doesn't have the condition so I wasn't sure

Sorry for the delay in answering this. I tested this in a copy of Black (it was a total bitch to get my Pokémon's stats just right, too) and it looks like the damage still doubles as I figured it would. I can't tell for sure because the first time a regular Venoshock did just enough damage to leave a Substitute with 1 HP, so it being destroyed when the Pokémon was poisoned could have just been a fluke of the RNG, and the second time after I used Calm Mind to not make that happen, that wild Patrat decided to interfere and use Bite. :| We'll say the damage doubles as normal.

Would pokemon with contrary get stat boosts while mist is in effect?

Tested this in-game as well. Mist prevented Swagger from lowering Attack on a Contrary Pokémon, but didn't stop it from raising Attack on other Pokémon. It did not stop Sand-Attack from raising my hacked Contrary Gligar's Attack.

Tested this in-game as well. Mist prevented Swagger from lowering Attack on a Contrary Pokémon, but didn't stop it from raising Attack on other Pokémon. It did not stop Sand-Attack from raising my hacked Contrary Gligar's Attack.

Game Mist only prevents drops including ones from Contrary, then, but I thought ASB Mist prevented all stat changes from its description (and summary, but that's presumably based on the description.) The description also implies it takes effect for the whole field, but its target is "self and allies," so which is it?

Superbird said:
Does Brick Break still break Reflect/Light Screen if blocked by Protect or Detect?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't in-game, and I see no reason for it to do otherwise in ASB. edit: tested this in Pokemon Showdown and it didn't.

Last edited:
Game Mist only prevents drops including ones from Contrary, then, but I thought ASB Mist prevented all stat changes from its description (and summary, but that's presumably based on the description.) The description also implies it takes effect for the whole field, but its target is "self and allies," so which is it?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't in-game, and I see no reason for it to do otherwise in ASB. edit: tested this in Pokemon Showdown and it didn't.

Nah, the description's just unclear. I've fixed it now. The visibility thing affects the field, but only allies are protected from stat drops.

As for game logic, Showdown wasn't really a good source last time I tried it. Either way, I would let a Brick Break break a Reflect; a Protect can't envelop the entire shield, since the Reflect shield protects the user and its allies.

Can a pokémon use Fling to throw objects other than held items? Such as reasonably light other pokémon? If so, how accurate would such a throw be, if Fling has 100% accuracy normally?

Would Magnet Rise be able to counter the effects of Gravity since magnetic forces are much stronger than gravitational ones? Especially one that would enable flight.

Back
Top Bottom