• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Favorite Commercials

mewtini

sorry guys, don’t lose
Pronoun
she/her
...and if you have one, you should be ashamed of buying into the monopoly that is ADVERTISING.

But yeah, I actually like Geico commercials (especially this one.)

I'm a fan of the annoying ones because they annoy people.

Vaxhaull's "Yeah brand new! fsyabtchrs"
Disneyland/world's "But mum, WE'RE TOO EXCITED!" (can't find a link to the UK version of that one)
Some window company's "YOU BUY ONE, YOU GET ONE FREE. I SAY YOU BUY ONE, YOU GET ONE FREE" I'd say that ad's successful since the way the guy says the phone number makes it annoying but also memorable

Also I like to brag that I have two friends in common on facebook with the man from the GoCompare adverts.

I tend to have a fondness for beer ads! I really like this one because it's really silly, and this one's just so cool (making of here).

I guess something Australia does a lot is that we frequently have pretty graphic ads against drink-driving that are government-funded. They also tend to feature real families of car crash victims talking about it. i didn't realise that this wasn't a thing everywhere until somebody posted it on tumblr. This (warning for graphic, realistic depictions of car accidents, injury, trauma, alcohol consumption, people in hospital, people grieving, also it's like really really sad) video is a 20th anniversary compilation of those ads and I like it because they're like... really effective?? but they're still really tasteful and well done. Also I think these ads kind of do work? Seeing these ads from a young age has kind of made sure I'm never going to drink drive ever? and I know I'm not the only one like that.

I also absolutely adore the 'happy inside' IKEA adverts, they're just so adorable and amazing. There's also the surprisingly effective Reading & Writing Hotline ad that used to be so much better but they changed it and now I can't find it! but honestly if you're australian it's hard to read 1300 6555 06 without hearing it in your head.

edit: oh also this Indian Mentos ad is amazing.

Last edited:
Those two seem to be age restricted for me for whatever reason. (I'm logged in and listed as 19, too.) Australia doesn't have different age restrictions, does it?

Oh, that's odd! Drinking age in Australia is 18, so it seems weird that it'd be restricted for you. Unless you're being restricted because drinking age in the US is 21?

I guess something Australia does a lot is that we frequently have pretty graphic ads against drink-driving that are government-funded. They also tend to feature real families of car crash victims talking about it. i didn't realise that this wasn't a thing everywhere until somebody posted it on tumblr. This (warning for graphic, realistic depictions of car accidents, injury, trauma, alcohol consumption, people in hospital, people grieving, also it's like really really sad) video is a 20th anniversary compilation of those ads and I like it because they're like... really effective?? but they're still really tasteful and well done. Also I think these ads kind of do work? Seeing these ads from a young age has kind of made sure I'm never going to drink drive ever? and I know I'm not the only one like that.

:o Actually, Scotland (and the rest of the UK iirc) has pretty similar ones to those! At least up here, they used to show one about not getting distracted while driving before every single screening of every (non-U rated) film if you went to the cinema. I can't find that exact one, but it was filmed similarly to this one (ie. the POV filming).

I think they're effective! We have a lot of adverts like this, actually; the UK ran one about drunk driving that I find hugely unsettling to this day, and Scotland ran this one about rape for a while, as well. We also had the fabled IF YOU HIT ME AT 30 I'LL PROBABLY LIVE BUT IF YOU HIT ME AT 40 I'LL DIE!!!! advert with the little girl who reverses her broken bones and shit ugh it's so creepy

I am not linking that because I never want to see it again. ;___;

Oh, that's odd! Drinking age in Australia is 18, so it seems weird that it'd be restricted for you. Unless you're being restricted because drinking age in the US is 21?

Maybe? It still doesn't make much sense as our ads for drinking seem to be fine and dandy to show on televison and 18 is the age where you can purchase any nonbanned movie.

(The first ad you shared was great, though! Found it pretty funny.)

Urgh, the scariest road safety PSA I've ever seen was a few years back about seatbelt-wearing and I can't bring myself to find a link for it, but I remember it vivdly and it went something like:

WARNING THIS IS THE MOST TRAUMATIC EVER

[mum and two teenage kids driving along in a car]
Susan's going to be killed by someone today.
[car crashes (?) to a halt]
Her teenage son.
[camera pulls back to reveal bloodied body of mother having just been hit by her son in the back seat; daughter in passenger seat starts screaming]
Wear a seatbelt.

I guess it did its job, but my god, British Transport or whoever designs these things o.o

Urgh, the scariest road safety PSA I've ever seen was a few years back about seatbelt-wearing and I can't bring myself to find a link for it, but I remember it vivdly and it went something like:

WARNING THIS IS THE MOST TRAUMATIC EVER

[mum and two teenage kids driving along in a car]
Susan's going to be killed by someone today.
[car crashes (?) to a halt]
Her teenage son.
[camera pulls back to reveal bloodied body of mother having just been hit by her son in the back seat; daughter in passenger seat starts screaming]
Wear a seatbelt.

I guess it did its job, but my god, British Transport or whoever designs these things o.o

o.o is right

you Europeans have some darned scary safety commercials, eek

I like any commercial that has any sort of weird song to go with it! Like there was this one Target commercial about their Black Friday sale, and it came on so much, I remember how it went XD And I like commercials that are just so weird. Like the Target Black Friday sale one.

My favorite commercial...I forget what it was even for. Some guy was throwing darts, and he he kept missing, and hit some guy at a table and the way his face slammed into the table then slid off was just hilarious XD

Also, any StateFarm commercials where the jingle is magic or whatever. Love those.

Back
Top Bottom