• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Super Smash Bros 4

Ahh, I called Lucina a good while ago. I don't know why everyone was expecting the FE:A rep to be Chrom considering Lucina and Robin were both more important in the story. I'm guessing the inclusion of Captain Falcon was to really stress that, yes he's still there, yes you can quiet down now. That said, I wonder if Chrom and Lucina are gender-swaps of the same character--that would make the most sense, but it didn't explicitly say either way.

I'm sort of concerned as to how Lucina seems to be a Marth clone. (understandable, as she was 'Marth' for almost a third of Awakening) I'm hoping for a Mario/Luigi situation there, as opposed to something like Mario/Dr. Mario.

Robin is amazing, though! Playstyle looks really interesting. My onlly complaint is- why, of all things, does he/she use a bronze sword? There are also a lot of questions there, too: I'm curious to see how the tome switching works, and when he/she switches to the Levin sword.

And Chrom's apparent exclusion is a bit disappointing. I got from the video that he's Robin's final smash, as opposed to a character.

So on the one hand they confirmed the one
FE13
character I spite enough that I could have given up on the games over, but on the other they also confirmed the one
FE13
character I'd actually tolerate in the game and
Captain Falcon
. Well played.

Also, I can't wait to see how
Chrom's local defense squad
is handling this. I will savour their tears slowly.

And Chrom's apparent exclusion is a bit disappointing. I got from the video that he's Robin's final smash, as opposed to a character.
Hm, I didn't consider that. He does call out "Chrom!" before he appears, I had just figured from this screenshot that he was playable. But in retrospect, you appear to be right. I'm still okay with this, though.

I haven't played Fire Emblem (though I should try out Awakening since it's easily accessible...) so no strong feelings towards the two newcomers either way aside from a general sense of the more the merrier.

Where is Robin From and Lucina or whatever his name is from. Good to see CF made it back in though. He would be great for fast Smash Runs on 3DS XD.:)

Marth has already been confirmed. I doubt Roy will be back though. And why would FE:A people confirm a Zelda character? (Who probably is back and is just a secret character or something. Browser's in and we haven't gotten any new characters other than the separation of Zelda and Sheik...)

I'm actually not that thrilled about this because Fire Emblem overrepresentation. Not that I don't love Fire Emblem, but. And also, captain falcon yes yes yes this also hints at Ness if not also Jigglypuff

But as long as Lucina isn't a clone of Marth I'll be fine. She'll probably at least handle differently. And Robin will be an interesting idea. I wonder if Nosferatu will actually recover health.

i don't understand "Fire Emblem overrepresentation"

that's like saying Pokemon and Zelda have too many characters repped in these games

and as it so happens, they just released an article where Sakurai explains the lack of playable Chrom and how Lucina is like Marth

he mentions their attributes are nearly identical, but the key difference is in the distribution of their power; Marth's damage is largely sweetspotted at the tip of his blade, so many of his attacks only hit at their best at a specific distance, but Lucina's is distributed evenly through the entire blade, so he hopes newcomers and novices interested in Marth will gravitate towards her. basically she's a weaker, lighter, faster Roy

honestly it WOULD have made more sense to just include Lucina as an alt skin and bring Chrom in as a playable character; he could easily make use of the class changing in a fighter like this (think Butz in Dissidia), and it's also worth noting that Chrom IS quite capable of wielding spears as a Great Lord...

I think over/under-representation is relative to how many characters are in a series.

I haven't played any Fire Emblem games so I can't comment on that though. Other than that I don't think any series is over/under-represented. Pokémon has over 700 characters but the inclusion of Poké Balls evens it out for them, Mario has a lot of characters from the sports/party games, and Metroid only really has one character they can include unless they find a way to add in Ridley.

i don't understand "Fire Emblem overrepresentation"

that's like saying Pokemon and Zelda have too many characters repped in these games
FE fans who don't get why that is make even less sense to me, frankly.

I love Fire Emblem, but until FE13 somehow became a killer app, I had more fingers in my hands than friends who knew what Fire Emblem was beyond "isn't it where those sword dudes in Smash Bros come from". Conversely, it's more shocking to find people who didn't play Pokémon than people who did. There's the difference. Big franchises get a lot of reps because there are more people who would be familiar with them. This is what weirds people out about having four Fire Emblem characters, and also what weirded some people out about having more than one Kid Icarus character despite the fact Nintendo's not planning on doing anything else with the franchise beyond Uprising. Double so for people who are fans of series that are about as obscure as FE, or even less so, but aren't getting any new toys.

That's not to say there's not a reason why this is happenning -- FE13 and Uprising did outsell a lot of bigger franchises on the 3DS, so Sakurai's got a reason to give those series more reps, both because it's profit and because more people know them now. Doesn't mean it doesn't feel weird for people who only knew those series from SSB until overnight and still haven't cared enough to play them. And frankly, I still don't see much sense in having two FE13 reps, even if Lucina's presence -- and specially Chrom's absence -- makes me that much less personally frustrated about Robin being in.

I think over/under-representation is relative to how many characters are in a series.

I haven't played any Fire Emblem games so I can't comment on that though. Other than that I don't think any series is over/under-represented. Pokémon has over 700 characters but the inclusion of Poké Balls evens it out for them, Mario has a lot of characters from the sports/party games, and Metroid only really has one character they can include unless they find a way to add in Ridley.
Fire Emblem has tens of new characters in each entry, and there's thirteen entries. (Technically some of them don't actually add new characters, but you get the gist of it)

There's also not a shortage of variety in the potential reps either. It's not all swordslinging dudes. Just from the protags, we've had swordslinging girls (Lyn and Eirika), lanceslinging dudes (Ephraim), axeslinging dudes (Hector), and spellslinging girls (Celice -- if that's how they're spelling her name -- and Micaiah).

Last edited:
To Be Honest we do have way too many Fire Emblem and Zelda Characters now. More than half the roster is taken up by those characters now. What we had in Melee was plenty enough for those characters. Seriously they over did it this time XD.:)

From Sakurai's explanations, it seems that Lucina is a spiritual successor to Roy, which I am perfectly okay with as I prefered Roy's handling and tactics by far. Robin is the true newcomer; if you look on the website, Lucina isn't even listed as a newcomer. They were also good picks as characters, seeing as they are the two most critical characters in FE:A. While I'm sure I'll never get my dream of playable Eirika (or even better, Marisa), Smash focusing on recently released games (or the first games of the series, hence Marth and Charizard) is nothing new. There were no gen 3 or 5 Pokemon playable, for instance. As much as I loved Roy, FE6 is one of the more obscure FEs at this point.

more than half the roster is taken up by FE and Zelda characters? 8 out of 30+ characters is pretty far from half

it's worth noting that the whole reason Roy was even in Melee in the first place is because they were advertising FE6 at the time, they were trying to give it publicity so more people would buy it as the first current (at the time) title, and first handheld title in the series

generally, in the case of Fire Emblem characters, with the exception of Marth whom is essentially the face of the series, they pick new ones based on their popularity, how relevant they are and whether or not they're trying to give a new title publicity; at this point, given that there are no new games in the series on the horizon, it's essentially up to popularity, which is why Ike not only made it into the game again, he's shown up in his Radiant Dawn attire (it's worth nothing Ike is the only character whose popularity rivals Hector's in the series, as opposed to the hate Lyn gets in japan due to the way she was tied to a tutorial that they felt they didn't even need)

i also wouldn't exactly say that FE13 "somehow" became a killer app. it simply hit the right place at the right time; 3DS sales were beginning to pick up, they advertised the everloving FUCK out of the game, so sheer word of mouth had a big hand in it, not to mention there was that huge shipping snafu they had when the game released last year that absolutely everybody, even people that hadn't really heard of the series beforehand ended up talking about. it quickly became something that everybody wanted to play, so much to the point that even the price of used copies of Path of Radiance shot up to well above $80 for more than half of last year within weeks of Awakening hitting western territories

now, if you were to say that FE13 specifically having two reps was an issue, maybe i can agree with you there; i think more people wanted Chrom playable than Lucina, and there was certainly no shortage of people that want Micaiah, Hector, or even Sigurd repped in some way, but having four reps for a series that suddenly gained revived popularity a year ago is not an issue i feel. it acknowledges a decently sized fanbase exists, and it almost guarantees more variety in the future

Back
Top Bottom