• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Meowfia

school all day and had friends over all night, sorry for no response but also i kinda forgot abt the game

Lurking and not claiming while we spent multiple hours today discussing whether the scum team is the pair with ILS in it or the pair without ILS in it is just. If he's actually town, he basically threw the game here. :/

Yeah, this was my bad. :( It's not exactly a fantastic situation to be in when you're a doctor that's been inactive during the daytimes, the only person you've healed is the unhealable cop, and then they die.

Saying "I've been suspecting Butterfree since she dismissed the initial RNP vote" now that Butterfree has counterclaimed him when he gave literally no indication of this prior is not very believable, either.

I didn't single out Butterfree specifically, but I do mention in #172 my worry about people not taking the accusations against RNP seriously.

Butterfree has been super villagery today to the point where if she's actually a wolf bamboozling me I think she just plain deserves the win.

school all day and had friends over all night, sorry for no response but also i kinda forgot abt the game

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on ILS and Butterfree soon, then!

Some shower thoughts, because apparently I just do all my best thinking away from the actual game.

If ILS is mafia, the plan was something like: fakeclaim doctor at very close to last minute in hopes of sniping with last-minute vote switches. I don't think this kind of plan would come from ILS, nor RNP. It would have to be MF. So I'm back to exactly ILS/MF if ILS is scum.

Possible mafia partners for Butterfree are RNP and Flora, with RNP looking more likely.

One of the things Butterfree did today that I really liked was this post (snipped to include only the relevant part):

I don't like that you're here repeating your stance on these things while ignoring my points about them without comment. I feel like you're not quite engaging with me, which is frustrating; even if people aren't posting, please work with the people who are if you are town.

I thought the frustration at me not fully engaging with her today was super towny. I suppose that in the Butterfree/RNP world it could instead just be because I was parking on RNP. So... if it is Butterfree, she's probably with RNP.

MF's posts after the deadline extension are really confusing to me if MF is scum, but maybe that's just the point.

Okay. Flora, I am tentatively inviting you to my town bloc. Please tell me your thoughts.

I mean today's initial vote, which started at #121 with Eifie's vote for RNP.
I... didn't ignore it, though? Eifie voted for RNP, on the basis of the nightkill and general scummy behaviour, though she doesn't know how to distinguish between town RNP and scum RNP. When I responded later (#127), I agreed RNP was acting pretty scummy but that yes, it's a bit hard to tell with him, while the nightkill being straight-up retaliation struck me as overly simplistic. I'm generally not one to vote right out of the gate, so I never would've voted for anyone at that stage unless there was some kind of very damning evidence (like, investigation). I'm not sure what more you expected me to do to react to it there. Then by the time of my next post, we'd gotten into the weeds with the possible scumteams discussion (where no one was ignoring RNP's apparent scumminess, just discussing back and forth who could feasibly be paired).

I liek Squirtles said:
That was bad wording on my part; I'd seen the votes pile up throughout the day, but seeing them go 4-2 made me panic.
This seems a completely different thing from what you actually said, though, not just bad wording? You specifically said that I was suspicious for suddenly flipping on you, when I'd had my vote on you almost all day; the person who flipped their vote to make it 4-2 was Eifie. Maybe it was a typo and you meant her? But then I'm surprised you didn't clarify that rather than say it was bad wording.

Okay. Anything to say about the current situation? Have you read what's been going on yet?

Still definitely not feeling great about MF's responses - feels very "Okay, going to have to just bus hard now and hope they buy it - no, hang on, found a possible line of reasoning for just lynching RNP anyway, let's give that a shot."

Final Day 2 Votes:

I liek Squirtles (4): RedneckPhoenix (#144), Butterfree (#146), Flora (#160), Eifie (#220)
RedneckPhoenix (2): I liek Squirtles (#136), M&F (#233)

I liek Squirtles was lynched. He was Pallas's Cat, Town Doctor.

The mafia team mechanically can no longer lose. Congratulations, Butterfree and RedneckPhoenix!

--

[hide=Butterfree - House Cat, Mafia Goon]

Hello, Butterfree!

You are House Cat, a Mafia Goon! The house cat is one of the most popular pets in the world! House cats can have long or short coats in all sorts of colors, and come in around 60 recognized breeds, from the small Singapura and Munchkin to the big, fluffy Maine Coon. "Clowder" is a rare word for a group of cats. One example of a house cat is your own cat, Birta.

Every night starting Night 1, you or your partner can target another player in order to kill them. If multiple kill orders are received, the most recent one will be used. Note: You must kill someone each night, and if you don't submit anything the kill will be randomized among the living Town players. You can't kill a member of your own.

Your partner is RedneckPhoenix, who you can talk to at any time outside the game thread.

You win when all Town are dead or nothing can prevent this.

Hello, RedneckPhoenix!

You are Cheetah, a Mafia Goon! Native to arid habitats mostly in Africa, cheetahs are known for how fast they can sprint, going from 0 to 60 mph in three seconds to chase down prey. Cheetahs' spotted coats help them blend into the grassland while they hunt during the day. You can tell the difference between cheetahs and other spotted cat species by their "tear streaks" running from eye to mouth!

Every night starting Night 1, you or your partner can target another player in order to kill them. If multiple kill orders are received, the most recent one will be used. Note: You must kill someone each night, and if you don't submit anything the kill will be randomized among the living Town players. You can't kill a member of your own.

Your partner is Butterfree, who you can talk to at any time outside the game thread.

You win when all Town are dead or nothing can prevent this.

Hello, DarkAura!

You are Jaguar, the Town Unhealable Cop! The biggest big cat of South America, jaguars have a distinctive coat pattern called rosettes, which you can tell from leopards by the jaguar rosette's central spot. Unlike many cats, jaguars are strong swimmers and have been seen diving to catch animals. Jaguars tend to listen before ambushing prey, rather than chasing them down.

Every night starting Night 1, you can target another player in order to learn whether they are Town or Mafia.

You can't be healed. In other words, if the Doctor ever targets you, their action will fail. Neither you nor the Doctor will be informed that this is the case.

You win when all Mafia are dead.

Hello, I liek Squirtles!

You are Pallas's Cat, the Town Doctor! The Pallas's cat, also known as the manul, has a thickset build and low-to-the-ground posture, which help it sneak around as it stalks prey. Its long, thick, white-tipped fur helps to keep it warm in the Central Asian steppes and grassland. Pallas's cat fur goes through two color phases; it is grayer in the winter and more striped and ochre during the summer.

Every night starting Night 1, you can target another player to stop them from being killed.

You win when all Mafia are dead.

Hello, Flora!

You are Eurasian Lynx, a Townie! The Eurasian lynx is the biggest lynx species, native to Europe and Asia. Lynxes are named after their reflective eyes, while the North American species of lynx is called the bobcat for its short, "bobbed" tail. The tufts on lynxes' ears help them hear and hunt, while their big paws help them walk on snow without sinking down into it, like snowshoes!

You don't have any special abilities in this game. You win when all Mafia are dead.

Hello, MF!

You are Tiger, a Townie! The biggest cat species in the world, the tiger lives in parts of North, East, and South Asia. Each tiger's stripes are different, and the white spot on the back of a tiger's ear functions as an "eyespot." Tigers mark their territory and usually live away from each other. Many tigers are good swimmers and bathe in ponds or lakes to keep cool during the day!

You don't have any special abilities in this game. You win when all Mafia are dead.

Hello, Eifie!

You are Clouded Leopard, a Townie! Clouded leopards live in East and Southeast Asia and are named for their large spots. They mostly roam their dense forest habitats at night, so they are hard to track. Clouded leopards' short legs and big paws make them good climbers, and they can even turn their rear ankles around to climb down trees headfirst.

[/hide]
Night 1
ILS heals DarkAura (but it doesn't work.)
RedneckPhoenix and Butterfree kill DarkAura.
DarkAura investigates Eifie as Town.
→ DarkAura, the Cop, dies.

Why can't the mafia lose?
With ILS's death, there are 3 town and 2 mafia left. The mafia must kill a townsperson on Night 2, leaving 2 town alive and allowing them to force a No Lynch on Day 3 and kill/lynch the remaining two townspeople. In the interest of not forcing people to play out a foregone conclusion, the game is ending here.

Good game, everyone, and thank you all so much for playing! This game was well played by the mafia team and well fought by the town - it takes a village, and a mafia team, to make a game. The activity in this game was unreal, especially because we only had 7 players. Everyone tried their best, and I was really happy to see people having fun and enjoying the flavor!

Some things that I'd like to apologize for that I will fix if I ever run this setup again: I'm sorry for the somewhat uneven phase extensions that left some people unable to post on this final day. It is also probably better to have tied votes either be decided by randomization or count toward the 1-abstain limit, in the spirit of that rule, but I didn't want to change it in the middle of the game.

I may run another game soon with this setup or a slightly larger setup if there's interest. Also, I'm thinking about hosting a silly/bastard/experimental game sometime in April-July for the 5th anniversary of Calvinball Mafia, so stay tuned for that :D

Another also, unfortunately Flora's flavor image was deleted from Wikimedia Commons, so here's a substitute:

damn, Butterfree, that was awesome.

*bows* Thank you, thank you.

True fact: we did, in fact, deduce that DarkAura was the cop and killed her because of that, not because she'd been accusing RNP.

That mafia synergy between MF and ILS, though, I almost believed it.

I may run another game soon with this setup or a slightly larger setup if there's interest. Also, I'm thinking about hosting a silly/bastard/experimental game sometime in April-July for the 5th anniversary of Calvinball Mafia, so stay tuned for that :D
Oh ho, I was actually getting my own ideas there, too.

Oh, well. I just wish I'd figured Butterfree out sooner, which would have given people enough time to be as unimpressed by her counterarguments as I was. In any case, I concede that gg.

Being in a game where every single lynch makes a huge difference sure was a new experience! Makes me wonder in which directions that sort of thing can be taken, specially now that we'll generally have to expect low player counts. Hmmmm...

Yeah, man, I wish I hadn't chickened out of lynching RNP the first day. That was a pretty dumb move.

I also have to ask: as nerve-wracking as it was for town trying not to kill itself on a D2 mislynch (which... is what we ultimately did rip), what was it like, having me hounding a correct mafia member for 3/4 of the game and then figuring the entire thing out on the last bend?

Like, I'm not even asking to flex, I just feel like that'd be terrifying if it was coming from a better player.

ok also (super sorry for spam)

I just want to say that I'm really really grateful to everyone for playing with me, non-role-madness mafia isn't really a thing we've done on tcodf before and I know a lot of you aren't used to it but you picked it up like champs. Special shout-out to DarkAura who was legitimately super awesome and impressed me a lot!

This game meant a ridiculous amount to me because I started playing mafia on MU a few months ago because I've always wanted to learn how to play vanilla mafia, and the game itself is fun but it was really stressful playing with a bunch of strangers who knew what they were doing and were all way better than me and all I really wanted to do was learn to play in a safer environment with my friends. :C I got to apply a ton of theory I've learned over the past few months in this game which was really fun. I'm so glad I got to play with everyone.

ok thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Back
Top Bottom