• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

School

I think other countries do it too...
Basically, what the summer slide is is not a good. It's basically where kids forget a ton of what they learn from months of no learning. Summer vacation was invented by rich people in old times because the kids were wusses and whined and cried and complained to their parents all summer because it was too hot, untill their snobby parents pulled them out of school. or heatstroke too that was a possibility with the seven pound clothes they wore year round instead of having shorts or something. So many kids got pulled that schools gave up and sent the poor kids home too. I mean, we have AC unless your school spends too much money on sports and only puts ac in the teacher's lounge
But even then, they could implement a law where schools require AC or something.
But being sweaty isn't a reason to throw away half of the education.
i watch too much adam ruins everything sue me

I think other countries do it too...
Basically, what the summer slide is is not a good. It's basically where kids forget a ton of what they learn from months of no learning. Summer vacation was invented by rich people in old times because the kids were wusses and whined and cried and complained to their parents all summer because it was too hot, untill their snobby parents pulled them out of school. or heatstroke too that was a possibility with the seven pound clothes they wore year round instead of having shorts or something. So many kids got pulled that schools gave up and sent the poor kids home too. I mean, we have AC unless your school spends too much money on sports and only puts ac in the teacher's lounge
But even then, they could implement a law where schools require AC or something.
But being sweaty isn't a reason to throw away half of the education.
i watch too much adam ruins everything sue me

I'm pretty sure summer vacation was at least maintained in the U.S. due to farming schedules. Could be wrong, though.

WHAT? I would rather just have the 180 days that's required all done with, all at once and in row (partially so teachers can't give projects) and then have the other 185 days as a break. That would be pretty nice.

180 days in a row would be extremely tiresome. Humans aren't meant to work for such extended periods of time, particularly small humans.

There has to be enough time for teachers to grade and plan the rest of the year. While the year is technically planned all in advance, you almost never end up sticking perfectly to the schedule. Not to mention that, unfortunately, not everyone can learn at the same pace. Try out a charter school if you're in a public system, some of them do things quite differently.

Is it weird to be in this thread now that I'm a substitute teacher working on becoming a full-time teacher? I dunno about the others, but I would rather not work all 180-181 days in a row. And if the faculty don't want to do it then you're stuck with it.

Back
Top Bottom