• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Twitter crashes as Brits defend NHS

goldenquagsire

Rubber dinghy rapids, bro!
Slightly old, but interesting.

Basically, after Sarah Palin called our health service a "death panel", we got revenge by making Twitter crash.

Also, lol at Republicans who Did Not Do The Research ("Stephen Hawking would be dead if he had been treated by the NHS!")

Also, lol at Republicans who Did Not Do The Research ("Stephen Hawking would be dead if he had been treated by the NHS!")

What, no Tvtropes link? Though it's probably for the better. I just got off there after snooping around the fan service section. :sweatdrop:

As for the actual article....I guess I don't need to say how retarded my country is at the moment. :unsure:

Very interesting, considering I've never heard a single Brit praise the NHS. o_O

We love to hate our own things, but if anyone else tries to join in...

Very interesting, considering I've never heard a single Brit praise the NHS. o_O

We love to hate our own things, but if anyone else tries to join in...
Huh, odd. I've never heard a single Brit claim that the NHS is a bad idea. Obviously, there are problems with it and the service could be greatly improved; but it seems to be almost unanimously agreed (at least, over here) that universal health care, free at the point of access, is an important part of any humane society.

NHS is great. What people complain about is the implementation, which apparently leaves something to be desired.

... Talk about passive-aggressive British revenge.

"D: TALK SMACK ABOUT MY NATIONAL HEALTHCARE SYSTEM?? WELL. WELL. I'LL. I'LL - I'LL BREAK YOUR INTERNET AND PRETEND IT WASN'T ME."

I thought the way the UKians (and a load of people overseas, including a bunch of USians - especially those who'd experienced both UK and US healthcare) rushed to defend the NHS was so, so sweet. Someone (probably Graham Lineham) said in a tweet that "The NHS is like your parents; you can complain about it non-stop, but as soon as anyone else does, you scratch their eyes out", and I think it's totally true.
Yes, most people know a horror story to do with the NHS (they "mended" my broken arm by setting it nearly 40 degrees out of place so it's all wonky), but I struggle to think of anyone who hasn't massively benefited from it at one point or another, from getting free contraceptives to getting lifesaving medication and operations. The idea that what might be the most advanced country in the world not only doesn't have a NHS but doesn't want one just blows my mind.

#welovethenhs

Don't worry! Something like 53% of Americans do want nationalised medicine.

Sort of.

If you squint.

The point is, there is hope?

I thought the way the UKians (and a load of people overseas, including a bunch of USians - especially those who'd experienced both UK and US healthcare) rushed to defend the NHS was so, so sweet. Someone (probably Graham Lineham) said in a tweet that "The NHS is like your parents; you can complain about it non-stop, but as soon as anyone else does, you scratch their eyes out", and I think it's totally true.
Yes, most people know a horror story to do with the NHS (they "mended" my broken arm by setting it nearly 40 degrees out of place so it's all wonky), but I struggle to think of anyone who hasn't massively benefited from it at one point or another, from getting free contraceptives to getting lifesaving medication and operations. The idea that what might be the most advanced country in the world not only doesn't have a NHS but doesn't want one just blows my mind.

#welovethenhs

I think that nobody really has the full right to judge until they've experienced it firsthand, and who, honestly, wants to bet Sarah Palin has? I love the NHS, I get my meds for free until I am sixteen, when I broke my leg, we did not have to worry about hospital costs, every experience I've had with it has been smooth and easy. Not saying it's not flawed, but I am proud of it.

NHSWales is great! We don't have to pay for our prescriptions! How great is that? When I was in France and I had to pay for the doctor's appointment and my drugs I wasn't pleased at all.

€33 for medical treatment? Fuck that for a laugh.

Not having to pay for prescriptions would be nice. Getting the pill for free is awesome (I can't believe how expensive it is in some areas of the US), but my ventolin inhalers are nearly £9 each now I'm over 18 and have to pay, and there's no concession for full-time students, which I think is a bit off.

Yeah, I really love our free prescriptions. My mother's on all sorts of pills for her ailments and it'd cost a fuckload of money if we had to pay like £6.80 (is it that? idk I don't pay...) for every set.

And when I had a kidney infection I was seen by a doctor and given pills really quickly. Lifesaver. <3 And for my medical certificate explaining why I sucked at my French oral. So glad for that.

But guuuuuyyyyys if everyone can go get treated that means they'll have to pay a tiny taaaaaaax :c and they'll have to, ugh, wait in hospitals if they bring in someone who's had his leg chopped off! What kind of sense does THAT make?

Wales and Scotland have better versions of the NHS than England. They have some regional control of their halthcare. As for paying for prescriptions, since a couple of years after the NHS began, there have been a few things that weren't free.

Last edited:
Yeah, but there are loads of exceptions. I'm not saying people should pay, but prescription meds are free for under 18s, over 60s (maybe 65?), people on benefits and a bunch of other concessions. Plus there's some stuff (like the contraceptive pill) that's free to whoever anyway.

It's weird that Scotland has better healthcare but a much lower life expectancy, though.

Yeah, we keep stabbing and killing each other. Also heart disease usually packs us in if you don't live in some shitty estate in Glasgow.

At least we try!

Back
Top Bottom