• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Chaining

Beldum has a catch rate of 3. So bring quick balls and ultra balls when you're chaining them like I am :) Fortunately my sister used the 999 Master Balls cheat on her Diamond so that she can give me one with which to catch a shiny. I already found 2 but accidentally fainted the first and the 2nd one used Struggle and fainted itself. Back to 40, here I go!

i've attempted chaining so many times, yet I can't get a chain above 15 or any shinies. I think I just have bad luck :/

Cheer up- my maximum is 5 ponyta, and it always crushes, no matter how right i do it. I followed EXACTLY what was wrote in the instructions. Fucknig chain..
At least I got some good pokimonz.

Same here, and I can't seem to get past 17 Bellsprout. I'm trying to get the shiny I lost ages ago... :/ Any tips? I always go to the fourth ring, and try not to go on the edge... but it still breaks. And yes, the patches ARE the same types, and I use Repels. o_O

Meh, people just have bad luck sometimes. You can do everything perfectly, and still fail. Just keep trying. Plus, you may get lucky and see a shiny patch early on. I saw one at a chain of 2 or 3 :grin:

I got my shiny Tauros on the second one. :D

I know bad luck. I've tried this for the last few weeks and the only two times I got a 40-Weepinbell chain, I forgot to use a repel when it wore off. xP The other time, I walked into the wrong spot.

My longest chain was one of 36 Kricketune (not that I particularly like Kricketune; at the time I was just trying to see how well I was able to chain) in the Trophy Garden. I practice chaining there because three of the wild Pokémon that can appear are ones I would want in shiny form: Pichu, Pikachu and Eevee, even though all three are somewhat rare. Haven't chained a shiny yet, though.

A few weeks ago I really wanted to start chaining so I checked the swarming Pokemon. Beldum. Great. For those who don't know, Beldum appears in a sandstorm, has a catch rate of 3 (as Cryptica mentioned) and only knows Take Down. It's also over level 50. It took me the whole day, but I finally got a shiny patch.

The plan was to send it to sleep with Parasect and whittle its health down with repeated False Swipes. I would then switch to Gengar so that it couldn't kill itself with Take Down.

What actually happened was that it used Take Down on Parasect and, for the first time ever, Effect Spore activated, Paralysing it. After it got a Critical Hit Take Down on the next turn, I knew this wasn't going to work. I just chucked my Master Ball.

After that battle the chain broke (probably because the shiny patch was on the edge). I had a bit more luck on the next day and got 4 shiny Spoinks.

Last edited:
Beldum's easier than Absol...

I completely agree with that, though. Pokemon in weather make me want to kill something.

>:-(

*kills something*

The highest I've ever gotten was 13 Bidoof, and I got a shiny out of that.
I tried to chain Electabuzz but a Floatzel broke it.

One time, I DID catch a shiny Shellos in the Valley Windworks, although at that time for some reason I didn't think that there was such thing as a shiny Shellos / Gastrodon. I evolved it, but I can't remember what I did with it...

are you sure it wasn't just an alternate shellos form?

422_shellos_1_m.png
it has two colours depending on where you catch it (t'uther is blue)

I had a bit more luck on the next day and got 4 shiny Spoinks.

what?!? that's insane!

p.s. I fail at chaining - can't seem to get past about 15... is there any technique that you could tell me?

btw I heard in a chain of 40 or higher shiny chance is 1 in 205 - I guess that's for each patch

Last edited:
I haven't chained anything for months. Think I'll try to chain a few Shiny Tyrouge. That whole evolutionary family looks awesome shiny.

are you sure it wasn't just an alternate shellos form?

422_shellos_1_m.png
it has two colours depending on where you catch it (t'uther is blue)

(I'm Cryptica's sister, so I know too.) Yes, I'm sure it was shiny. It was pink, but lighter than normal. We knew from the start of the game that there were two forms of Shellos, but we thought that Pokémon with alternate forms couldn't be shiny.

I haven't chained in ages, but I probably will start again once I finish NaNoWriMo or something. D: I think I'll practice on something easy, like Shinx, first. Or a swarm. But never again will I chain Beldum. (so frustrating)

Turns out I want a shiny Persian now, so I'm stuck resetting in front of Mr. Whatsisname (Backlot, I think), waiting for him to say Meowth. Then I have to suffer the Kricketunes.

But before this, I tried chaining Floatzel. It broke at 1....

EDIT: I keep talking to Backlot and, oddly, I keep getting Eevee! ><

Last edited:
I didn't chain since 2 months because that $^$&$%&^$%^# game made my chain fail when I reached 39! And acctualy, acording to what I heared, shiny pokemon appear whenever your chain reaches 40(so in 40, 80, 120, 160, 200, and so on).

I caught a shiny sneasel 3 months ago with good fortune in diamond. He just appeared when I was going to evolve my eevee to a glaceon, so I caught him.
Heh.

P.S. I now use my platinum, moved the sneasel there. Only shiny I ever had(not counting ones I hacked on the computer or the red gyarados).

Chaining budew is ultimately what put me off pokemon, everything was all well and good until I tried for about 3 days staright to get one, then I got realy bored and angry.

I didn't chain since 2 months because that $^$&$%&^$%^# game made my chain fail when I reached 39! And acctualy, acording to what I heared, shiny pokemon appear whenever your chain reaches 40(so in 40, 80, 120, 160, 200, and so on).

Which isn't true. As you get more Pokémon in your chain, the chance to get a shiny increases, and the chance is maximum (but still low) at 40. But there are no set numbers for when a shiny appears.

Well, on my progress, I finally got a Meowth. Thing is, they're hard to chain and even harder to find. Almost as bad as the Mightyena I was trying to chain a few months ago.

Wish me luck. ><

Well, some have luck in pokemon and some don't.

I for my part don't have because my game hates me T.T

Why I know that?

Simple!

I used a level 100 Drapion(got on GTS) with false swipe to catch a shiny pichu, and when my chain reached 40 and I didn't catch any shinies(well that's natural since im unlucky as hell), I noticed a shiny patch, and just when I was about to land in it, my battery went dead. Don't know why. It was green all the while.

I hate you god TT.TT

Also: Later chained them again and ended up getting knocekd out after they used nasty plot once and then 'magically' hit me with thundershocks, dealing critical hits wit each attack and reducing my pokemon's health by 100 with each hit(I tell you the fames hate me!).

Well, I got my two shiny Meowth (Amethyst & Odd) and now I'm at a chain of Smeargle at 42. I found one shiny after 3 resets at 40, but it was female (I'm aiming for male) and I accidentally KO'ed it with my Mightyena's Bite; it hadn't occurred to me how low Smeargle's defense is. So now I'm stuck resetting for another shiny, with a vain hope that it's male.

Still, it's fun. ^^
EDIT: Whoo! Shiny Smeargle!

Sai ^^

Last edited:
what?!? that's insane!

p.s. I fail at chaining - can't seem to get past about 15... is there any technique that you could tell me?

btw I heard in a chain of 40 or higher shiny chance is 1 in 205 - I guess that's for each patch

Once the chain length reaches 40 (which takes quite a while), you can just 'reset the radar' (walk 50 steps and use it again) until you see a shiny patch. You just need a lot of patience. As for any techniques, there are lots of techniques involved in chaining. Here is a short list of what I can remember:

• Only go into the same type of patch of grass that you originally went into.
  • Only go into grass patches that are 4 spaces away from where the radar was used.
  • Never go directly up after using the radar unless you can see the patch of grass that is 1 away.
  • Don't go into patches of grass that are next to the edge of the area of grass that you are chaining in because then there is a chance of all the shaking patches landing outside the grass area, which breaks the chain.
  • If you don't like the way the patches are spread out, then just walk 50 steps inside the area of grass and use the radar again.

The chance is 1/200 and that is for each patch but it is only applied for the patches containing the Pokemon that is being chained.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom