• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The "Fwee" Thread

I got a 100 win streak in double battles at the battle maison!!! Finally! I thought it was never gonna happen. I love my team so much.

....Now I gotta go for a 200 win streak.

I got a 100 win streak in double battles at the battle maison!!! Finally! I thought it was never gonna happen. I love my team so much.

....Now I gotta go for a 200 win streak.

What's your team and what resources have you been utilizing!

The first week of my theatre class is going a lot better than it did last year! This week I wrote a film noir where the narrator is the inner voice of the detective and everyone's enjoying it so much, even the girl who insisted her part sucked is super into it now

Yesterday was Carnival Day and I'm now part of a triumvirate of theme-Wednesday coordinators, my partner and I threw a really successful day centered around cheering up a sad clown! The staff we picked to play the sad clown was fucking perfect, the staff we picked to play the happy clown was fucking perfect, there were more laughs than any Carnival Day I can remember and the first week wasn't a fucking disaster

I also had to rebuild the Wednesday-night dance from scratch, since nobody left any resources behind last year, and despite my boss' suggestions to put TNT by AC/DC on the playlist everyone fucking loved it. We started out with a power trifecta of Shut Up And Dance~Can't Hold Us~Shake It Off, and by the end of the night we played Bad Blood (the Kendrick Lamar remixed version) and it was more popular than anything we had last year (barring the Cha Cha Slide and other line dances). The older kids' extra dance hour kicked off with a remix of Riptide that went over really well, everything yesterday just ran so smoothly

I love my job

What's your team and what resources have you been utilizing!

My main doubles team is this:

Noivern (Frisk) <Timid> @Choice specs
252 Spec A / 252 Speed/ 4 HP
- Draco meteor
- Air slash
- Flamethrower
- Switcheroo

Scizor (Technician) <Adamant> @Lum berry
252 Attack / 252 HP/ 4 Def
- Bullet punch
- Bug bite
- Knock off
- Roost

I generally start with these two first, and they've proven pretty effective. Choice specs draco meteor OHKOs tons of things, and those that survive with a sliver of health can by finished with a bullet punch. Noivern is great because it's just so goddamn fast that it out-speeds almost everything. Switcheroo completely wrecks walls that would otherwise cause problems.

Frisk is very useful, since I can scout out any potential focus sash users that may survive DM and possibly cripple Noivern. It also gives me an idea of what items Scizor can knock off or berries he can steal.

I was sort of debating on using mega Scizor, but lum berry has actually been really good, since a lot of pokes seem to carry swagger, and it allows me to nab a free attack boost. It's also pretty good for baiting them into inflicting status then using the free turn to finish them off. Also, Weaviles (obvious threat to Noivern) in doubles very rarely carry focus sash or ice shard, so I've been easily able to OHKO them with bullet punch. Big threats like Aerodactyl and Archeops also fall to one BP.

The other two are:

Vaporeon (Water absorb) <Bold> @Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def/ 4 Spec A
- Ice beam
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald

Umbreon (Synchronize) <Calm> @Sitrus berry
252 HP / 252 Spec D/ 4 Def
- Foul play
- Heal bell
- Moonlight
- Toxic

I usually switch in Vaporeon if there's an incoming ice/fire type move user that Noivern can't KO. Ice shard is mostly an issue. It was a real trial and error thing at first, since there's a lot of ice/fire move users beyond the obvious, like ice beam on Exploud and flamethrower on Slurpuff, but once I got a grasp of the moveset variants, I knew when to switch in. Actually, that's another thing frisk is good for; different movesets carry different items, so it allowed me to tell what variant of moveset the Pokémon I was up against had.

Umbreon is.... not quite as useful as I hoped it'd be, but I've had some good runs with it. Basically, status was kicking my ass at certain points, like paralysis on Noivern and burns on Vaporeon and Scizor, so heal bell was good in that regard. Mostly Umbreon is just there to sponge hits and allow its team-mate to do the heavy damage, occasionally lending a hand with foul play and toxic.

THIS TURNED OUT REALLY LONG-WINDED, sorry.... It's far from perfect, and took a lot of trial and error to get a good plan going and learn the AI's moveset variants. I think its main weakness is that it doesn't account for hax like double team and OHKO users. My main way around that was basically to learn which pokes had the offending moves and gang up on them quickly before they could set up.

So yeah, I hope it helps a little or at least gives you some team inspiration.

Last edited:

Oh, I wasn't asking because I needed inspiration for my (potential) own doubles team - I've been lurking the Battle Maison thread on Smogon for a while now and I'm always curious what people who aren't on that thread come up with. And more specifically, if they utilize the resources that have been compiled by the Smogon community. I know you managed to make it to 100 by trial and error alone (and honestly I am more than a little impressed, since I am terrible at building my own teams and just stole a bunch of Smogon teams when I attempted the Maison) but I'm always like "OH MAISON DISCUSSION OUTSIDE OF SMOGON HERE LET ME GIVE YOU ALL THE RESOURCES"

Oh right, oops, I feel kind of silly for rambling now! Ah well. I did want to try and win on my own merits and without any gimmicks, so I didn't consult Smogon for anything... it actually didn't occur to me that they had such an extensive guide on the maison, huh. I think I'll just stick to winging it though, since it's more fun that way. (and frustrating, of course)

I'm the complete opposite - I have a better time when I'm on equal footing with the AI by knowing what they're gonna do to me, haha. But I figured I'd at least share the resources! Good luck continuing, though, and let us know if you hit 200!!

I'm finally playing DA: Inquisition on a machine that can handle it and aaahhh I'm just :D :D

(will be even better as soon as the bigger monitor comes in the mail! Having to use a big-ish TV screen with a 1366x768 resolution is just... bIG PIXELS everywhere)

I sometimes get a tip at work, usually around five bucks. Yesterday a group of five came down and gave me forty dollars! Really brightened my day.

I've been replaying Morrowind and I have to take a shit ton of notes in real life just to remember where to go and I'm loooving it.

I got to replay Mystery Dungeon Sky, and once again I ended up tearing up at the ending. This is a truly beautiful game.

Back
Top Bottom