• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Black & White English names

Zoltea

Zoltea - The Jolteon
The region is known as Unova.

Pokemon:
Tsutarja is Snivy
Pokabu is Tepig
Mijumaru is Oshawott
Zorua is Zorua
Zoroark is Zoroark
Reshiram is Reshiram
Zekrom is Zekrom
Wargle is Braviary
Minezumi is Patrat
Gochiruzeru is Gothitelle
Rankurusu is Reuniclus
Desukan is Cofagrigus
Mogurew is Drilbur
Kibago is Axew
Koromori is Woobat
Musharna is Musharna
Chillarmy is Minccino
Gigaiath is Gigalith
Meguroco is Sandile
Shimama is Blitzle
Mamepato is Pidove
Gear is Klink
Hihidaruma is Darmanitan
Munna is Munna
Yanappu is Pansage
Baoppu is Pansear
Hiyappu is Panpour
Doryuuzu is Excadrill
Kurumiru is Sewaddle
Mamanbou is Alomomola
Victini is Victini
Shikijika is Deerling
Basurao is Basculin
Swanna is Swanna
Miruhoggu is Watchog
Yooteri is Lillipup
Dokkora is Timburr
Otamaro is Tympole
-------------------
Darumakka is Darumaka
Choroneko is Purrloin
Tabunne is Audino
Chillaccino is Cinccino
Emonga is Emolga
Dentula is Galvantula
Ononokus is Haxorus
Lepardas is Liepard
Haderia is Herdier
Onondo is Fraxure
Mebukijika is Sawsbuck
Desumasu is Yamask
Dageki is Sawk

Now then, discuss. Also, we must keep this thread updated with English names.

Last edited:
There wasn't a thread because there's really no need when we're already talking about this stuff in the general Black & White thread. If you have an opinion on them, post it there.

Opening/bumping this thread because

1) Other B/W thread was locked for length and I didn't want to make a new one because there's other threads like this still sitting around
2) Hot off the press bitches

Last edited:
I AM BOYCOTTING THE ENGLISH NAMES

ALL OF THEM.

AAAAAAALL OF THEM.

I'm disappointed that the supposed English name for desukaan doesn't have cairn in it. This is not the reason for my boycott, but I'm definitely disappointed.

I APPROVE STRONGLY OF:

Servine
Serperior
Samurott
Excadrill
Tympole
Seismitoad
Whimsicott
Garbodor (mainly because I pronounced it "GAR-buh-dor" in my head at first before realizing it's probably supposed to be "GARB-odor")
Galvantula
Klinklang
Chandelure
Volcarona
Zweilous
Krookodile
Reuniclus
Carracosta

WILL GET USED TO:

Scraggy (there is no reference to pants or thuglyfe in this name, I am disappoint)
Scrafty (see above)
Woobat
Sewaddle

OKAY I ACTUALLY LIKE THE PUN:

Foongus Amoongus hahahahahahahaha

WHAT THE FUCK, NOA?

Conkeldurr
Throh
Sawk
Cofagrigus (had to sit there and slowly sound out this retarded mass of consonants)
Beheeyem

Especially disappoint about the last two because a) I liked them a lot and b) Deathkan could have worked in English too. >:(

[REDACTED; zuruggu] (there is no reference to pants or thuglyfe in this name, I am disappoint)
[REDACTED; zuruzukin] (see above)
Seriously? You're *disappointed* by that? I'm very glad that, assuming these are real, Pokémon International did not touch that with a ten foot pole.

It's bad enough that Aloe, while pretty badass and fuck yes museum library gym, is about 70% Aunt Jemima.
Especially disappoint about the last two because a) I liked them a lot and b) Deathkan could have worked in English too. >:(
Deathcan is a stupid name. I think the kaan in desukaan is from cairn. Mordicairn is probably what I'd want to name it....

Assuming that list is the same as [URL="http://pokebeach.com/#all-black-and-white-english-pokemon-names-possibly-revealed"

]this[/URL] (because I don't get 4chan and its mysterious ways):

LILLIPUP. Even if every other B/W name were horrendous (which they're not, really), this would make it ALL OKAY <333 I thought they couldn't top "Yorteri" for cuteness, but they did :D

I also love Gurdurr. I actually used to spell it like that! :D

Krookodile is a bit meh, though. It's my favourite B/W 'mon, and I admit I was hoping for something a bit cooler. It's no Feraligatr, is it?

But if I have any complaints or reservations about new names in any gen, I just think of 'Ninetales' and 'Seel' and it all goes away.

Edit: Oh my god, Galvantula is a stroke of genius.

More edit: I am deeply annoyed that it's 'Archeops' rather than 'Archaeops'.

Mooooore edit: Ahahaha, Braviary. I see what they did there.

Last edited:
Okay with the names...kinda odd but....

I wish they had named one of the Otter evos Seamurai

I'm not particularly bothered with any of them and am mostly neutral. Am just feeling more of a "whoa, this is a lot to remember" shock feeling at their newness. I'll get used to it. And also, I still don't quite feel like accepting them until I see them posted on a more official source. At least, the ones posted on 4chan/Pokebeach.

Gurdurr? I uh...see Hur Durr when reading that. O_O Also, gotta love Haxorus. Best unintentionally funny Pokemon name of all time. OF ALL TIME.

Two that I don't like tho are 624 Pawniard (Komatana) and 625 Bisharp (Kirikizan). The puns they were aiming for just don't make sense. The names themselves are better than several of the others though, but they just don't work for these Pokemon, IMO. Still...s'pose that they didn't work on any of the others.

I like Klink, Klang, and Klinklang. That just...works. I don't know why, but they are good. Foongus Amoonguss are pretty cool too, although instead of two o's I would've dropped an o for Foongus and maybe a un for Amoonguss. So...Fongus Amungus. Eh...I guess Foongus does look better, but I still would've preferred Amungus.

Some others that I like are the Garbagemon names, Wargle's name(although Wargle rolls of the tongue better than Braviary IMO), Krookodile, Cubchoo and Beartic, Mandibuzz(Vuljina's name), and Durant(for Ainto).

All in all, the names are pretty good, though again, some of the spellings and name choices seem a little odd for me.

EDIT: Whoops forgot to mention Galvantula, the Vanillamons, and Roggenrola in the names I like list. Roggenrola is just...perfect. A perfect counterpart to Geodude in every way.

Part of me wants to call bullshit on the entire thing because it contains "pignite" and "emboar". Those are fanspec names and the fans are never ever ever right unless it's "guessing" that some legendary or postermon will keep its Japanese name like zoroark or lucario. There are a few others I think look bogus and way off the mark, too, but I forget which ones they are already and am too lazy to look. I can live with all of them if they are real--whining about localizations is stupid, etc., etc., and I do like most of them (even some of the ones I don't think could possibly be real... foongus amoongus is ridiculous but still awesome, for example)--but uh yeah generally speaking I see no reason to pay this list any further attention at all. Patience, young padawans.

Escavalier does have a nice ring to it, though. That one should totes be real.

Part of me wants to call bullshit on the entire thing because it contains "pignite" and "emboar". Those are fanspec names and the fans are never ever ever right unless it's "guessing" that some legendary or postermon will keep its Japanese name like zoroark or lucario. There are a few others I think look bogus and way off the mark, too, but I forget which ones they are already and am too lazy to look. I can live with all of them if they are real--whining about localizations is stupid, etc., etc., and I do like most of them (even some of the ones I don't think could possibly be real... foongus amoongus is ridiculous but still awesome, for example)--but uh yeah generally speaking I see no reason to pay this list any further attention at all. Patience, young padawans.

Escavalier does have a nice ring to it, though. That one should totes be real.

The only reason why people are paying attention is because IGN confirmed some of the names. See, the full list was posted onto the internet a few days ago, although nobody paid attention because, let's be honest, who wouldn't immediately write off a list of names that didn't appear anywhere big? But since IGN revealed some names, that list suddenly became very probable.

But yeah, I just went through and read the whole list aloud with my brother, thought about them for a little bit, and now I like them even more.

These'll probably turn out fake.

Although Archeops == awesome.

The names seem to have a lot more harsh consonants than usual... Is that on purpose to make the region seem "foreign", or is it just a coincidence?

I saw the confirmed names, but that doesn't prove anything. As at least WPM said, it's possible that someone saw the revealed names and made up ~150 more to go with them (again, I refuse to believe that many people could possibly have been right about pignite and emboar until I hear it from Pokémon International or whomever themselves). Given the huge clusterfuck mess this cycle of reveals has been, that's just as likely as anything else.

They aren't real until they are all confirmed. Setting yourself up for either instalove or instahate too early is stupid, and I kind of wish news sites would calm the hell down and stop feeding the hoax trolls by getting ahead of themselves all the time. I know that rushing to be first (excitement! prestige!) happens all the time in meatspace journalism too, but that doesn't make it a good thing. :/

Man, see, this I why I regret looking at all these Pokemon so early and memorizing their looks and names while everything is in Japanese. If I had found out about them and learned their English names right now this second, I would be perfectly happy with them.

Haven't looked through them properly yet, but the one I'm the most disappointed with right now is Krookodile. It should have been Rockodile. :(

Edit: Also Emboar really isn't that unlikely, considering that's what its Japanese name is.

Edit 2: Oooooooh, just got the pun in Krookodile. I like it better now.

Last edited:
I saw the confirmed names, but that doesn't prove anything. As at least WPM said, it's possible that someone saw the revealed names and made up ~150 more to go with them (again, I refuse to believe that many people could possibly have been right about pignite and emboar until I hear it from Pokémon International or whomever themselves). Given the huge clusterfuck mess this cycle of reveals has been, that's just as likely as anything else.

They aren't real until they are all confirmed. Setting yourself up for either instalove or instahate too early is stupid, and I kind of wish news sites would calm the hell down and stop feeding the hoax trolls by getting ahead of themselves all the time. I know that rushing to be first (excitement! prestige!) happens all the time in meatspace journalism too, but that doesn't make it a good thing. :/

Hey, I think they're real, but I'm still taking them with a grain of salt. But no, someone didn't see the confirmed name and made up a list based of them. The list was floating around for a while BEFORE any of the names(besides what was on the main site) were confirmed by IGN. Of course, you could say that IGN is also untrustworthy and I'd also agree with you there, but chances are that they at least did their research there.

But yeah, we gotta hold out just a little bit longer. But is there really any harm in discussing whether we like them or not? If they're fake, I'll be slightly disappointed, but then we may get some better names in their place. :/

I'm just gonna memorize them as I play the game. It's too much work to go through the pokédex and painstakingly look through everything. Although I will probably end up doing that again anyway to retain my Pokénerd status. Ah, well.

While I'm not quite sure how legit all these names are, I really hope that the Snivy line keeps these names. Servine and Serperior are fantastic. And I laughed at Hurrdurr Gurdurr and Sawk. Kling, Kang and Klinklang are pretty cute, much better than Gear, Gigear and Gigigear.

Though what is this Deerling, Samurott and Emolga. What have they done to my favourite Gen 5 Pokemon ;_; At least Chandelure is a fantastic name.

Also, how do you pronounce Desukaan's English name? I've been pronouncing it as Con-fagi-rus and completely missing that other G because it doesn't sound right in my head, so I'm pretty sure I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom